Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shaq Lawson to get Shoulder Surgery

Bravo

19 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Wonder if he'll be ready week 1?

NFL Network says no training camp, maybe the whole season, Put on the PUP list.  I just heard Sammy Watkins is out for a long while with a broken foot.Better them than us.

5 minutes ago, FL Colts Fan said:

NFL Network says no training camp, maybe the whole season, Put on the PUP list.  I just heard Sammy Watkins is out for a long while with a broken foot.Better them than us.

Watkins is supposed to be ready by training camp. It was a "small break" it said.

29 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

He'll start on the PUP, which I can't remember when you hvae to be off before the season starts (I think it's when final cuts are made), but it's generally not a good sign.

Yup, you can come off of PUP at any point in the preseason, but if you're on PUP to start Week 1, you can't come off until Week 6.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Word after the draft was that he'd have surgery after the season. Guess that shoulder was worse than we knew. So much for his medical recheck clearance....

It was / is accurate information.  Lawson had his shoulder 'pop out' in his Freshman year, and played 3 years in a brace.  {Labral tear}.  He could have played in a brace this year too, but I understand he had an 'issue' with his shoulder last week, (I heard it was a non contact drill, and a problem during a swim move on a tackling dummy) and the Bills decided to cut their losses and just do it now.  There is a 4 month minimum recovery, likely longer (up to 6 months).  Better long term choice, but his early game participation definitely in peril.

I wonder if he was wearing a brace when the 'issues' happened?

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

It was / is accurate information.  Lawson had his shoulder 'pop out' in his Freshman year, and played 3 years in a brace.  {Labral tear).  He could have played in a brace this year too, but I understand he had an 'issue' with his shoulder last week, (I heard it was a non contact drill, an d a problem during a swim move) and the Bills decided to cut their losses and just do it now.  There is a 4 month minimum recovery, likely longer (up to 6 months).  Better long term choice, but his early game participation definitely in peril.

He's been putting off surgery for his labral tear for three years. It was reported right after the draft that he was planning to have surgery after the 2016 season. Maybe the medical recheck was accurate at the time, but it's not like him having an issue during practice is unforeseeable. It's probably something that should have been done immediately after the past season, at the latest, but that might have hurt his draft stock.

I know medical issues are difficult to project, but I think any team that had a medical red flag on Lawson due to the shoulder is feeling vindicated right now. Since the draft, it's only been bad news for him. Now his season is in doubt.

2 hours ago, FL Colts Fan said:

Watkins had the same injury (Jones Fracture, and a screw inserted) as Julian Edelman and Dez Bryant.  Each of those two had to have revision surgery as well.  Hopefully, Sammy just needs the one, but it's possible up to a good 3-4 months recovery in any event.

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Watkins is supposed to be ready by training camp. It was a "small break" it said.

Jones Fractures can be tricky... even 'small' ones.  See Julian Edelman / Dez Bryant...

52 minutes ago, Superman said:

Maybe the medical recheck was accurate at the time, but it's not like him having an issue during practice is unforeseeable. It's probably something that should have been done immediately after the past season, at the latest, but that might have hurt his draft stock.

It might have shown up if they made him do a swim move on a tackling dummy at the med re-check.

He already played 3 years in a brace, I guess they hoped for 4 and then have off season surgery.  And I agree surgery performed earlier would have affected his draft position.

2 hours ago, FL Colts Fan said:

I read it would be six months at least for Lawson...

......and since hes a rookie, that's probably the entire year..

Rough for Buffalo....but they gambled and lost

8 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I read it would be six months at least for Lawson...

......and since hes a rookie, that's probably the entire year..

Rough for Buffalo....but they gambled and lost

Typical recovery time is typically 4 months minimum and up to 6 months on the pessimistic side. 

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Typical recovery time is typically 4 months minimum and up to 6 months on the pessimistic side. 

Is there a typical shoulder injury?

..His shoulder is chronic, or he played hurt.....from what I've heard.

anyway..you cant come back of injury, as a rookie..with no training camp..during the season...

jump in and contribute.

Best thing they can do is sit him for the year....They knew that was a possibility

It's ironic.  The Cowboys pick Jaylon Smith, who won't play this year, and it's a "good" move because they are "planning for the future".

Right now, it seems like the Bills made a mistake on Lawson, but every draft pick is "planning for the future" isn't it?  If Smith and Lawson both get healthy and have good 2017 seasons, good for the Cowboys and Bills.

I'm torn because I'm glad the Colts didn't select Lawson, but I still kinda wish they had picked Smith.  (Notre Dame bias being a large factor)

5 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

It's ironic.  The Cowboys pick Jaylon Smith, who won't play this year, and it's a "good" move because they are "planning for the future".

Right now, it seems like the Bills made a mistake on Lawson, but every draft pick is "planning for the future" isn't it?  If Smith and Lawson both get healthy and have good 2017 seasons, good for the Cowboys and Bills.

I'm torn because I'm glad the Colts didn't select Lawson, but I still kinda wish they had picked Smith.  (Notre Dame bias being a large factor)

I am glad we took Kelly. Protecting Andrew is #1 priority. Shaq and Smith both are damaged goods, so is Myles Jack. I will be surprised if Jack last the whole season without getting injured.

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am glad we took Kelly. Protecting Andrew is #1 priority. Shaq and Smith both are damaged goods, so is Myles Jack. I will be surprised if Jack last the whole season without getting injured.

I didn't mean picking Smith instead of Kelly, I meant picking Smith instead of Green.  I also wanted Kelly over Lawson.  Presumably, the Colts could have tried to get Smith in the 2nd round, and I would have been OK with that instead of Green (planning for the future and all), but I'm ultimately happy with the picks because I think Green will contribute THIS year.

I just meant it's ironic that NOW all of a sudden Kelly is "obviously" a better pick than Lawson, when some people were calling for Grigsons' head after not drafting a defensive player (like Lawson) with our 1st rounder.  The Cowboys knew going in that Smith was a long-term project, and are applauded.  The Bills get blindsided with a long-term project, and they made a "mistake".  The draft is a crap-shoot every year.  I'm just glad the Colts went with a "safe" pick like Kelly because he can contribute THIS year. :clover:

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I didn't mean picking Smith instead of Kelly, I meant picking Smith instead of Green.  I also wanted Kelly over Lawson.  Presumably, the Colts could have tried to get Smith in the 2nd round, and I would have been OK with that instead of Green (planning for the future and all), but I'm ultimately happy with the picks because I think Green will contribute THIS year.

I just meant it's ironic that NOW all of a sudden Kelly is "obviously" a better pick than Lawson, when some people were calling for Grigsons' head after not drafting a defensive player (like Lawson) with our 1st rounder.  The Cowboys knew going in that Smith was a long-term project, and are applauded.  The Bills get blindsided with a long-term project, and they made a "mistake".  The draft is a crap-shoot every year.  I'm just glad the Colts went with a "safe" pick like Kelly. :clover:

Yeah no doubt the Draft is a crapshoot. Looks like we got LUCKY here. I like the Green and Ridgeway picks as well. I think Grigs did pretty well but only time will tell if these players turn out to be Great Pro's.

It's even more of a crapshoot from the coaches' perspective.  Think about being Rex Ryan or Jason Garrett.  They draft these guys that could be defensive studs in 2 years.  But if the team doesn't perform well THIS year, they might not be the head coach by the time these "studs" are healthy enough to play.

I think Grigson and Pagano can feel how hot their seats are, and said to themselves "I might not even BE here next year, we need guys that are healthy and can help us win NOW!"  It's kind of a catch-22, because if Green ends up being a major contributor this year, it will either be because of an injury to Geathers, or Geathers will regress and need to be replaced, which doesn't reflect well on Grigs or Pagano...

Unless, of course, Green is our FS of the future, and Geathers is our SS of the future, and Adams gets hurt, and the two "G's" (holy cow I really like that.  Green and Geathers, the "2 Gs", we got a couple of Gs in our secondary) ball out and become the best safety tandem in the NFL for the foreseeable future... :clover:

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

It was / is accurate information.  Lawson had his shoulder 'pop out' in his Freshman year, and played 3 years in a brace.  {Labral tear}.  He could have played in a brace this year too, but I understand he had an 'issue' with his shoulder last week, (I heard it was a non contact drill, and a problem during a swim move on a tackling dummy) and the Bills decided to cut their losses and just do it now.  There is a 4 month minimum recovery, likely longer (up to 6 months).  Better long term choice, but his early game participation definitely in peril.

I can't imagine playing football or any sport with an injured shoulder in a brace. My shoulder "popped out" while swimming in a pool when I was in undergraduate school.  It dislocated at least 20 more times in the following five or so years.  I would slip it back in each time, but it was always very painful and I had to use an immobilizer for several weeks afterwards. I chose not to have it surgically repaired, opting for physical therapy instead. Surgery may have prevented the multiple dislocations, but doctors said they could not guarantee that. It has been several years since I last dislocated my shoulder but it can happen at any time. 

I think having surgery is the right move at this time for Lawson. I hope the best for him.

58 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

The Bills took Lawson at #19. It's a little different.

Although with the fifth year option, it's probably better to have a questionable Year 1 guy in the first round. But it is more money.

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

The Bills took Lawson at #19. It's a little different.

Although with the fifth year option, it's probably better to have a questionable Year 1 guy in the first round. But it is more money.

I just meant it's ironic that NOW all of a sudden Kelly is "obviously" a better pick than Lawson, when some people were calling for Grigsons' head after not drafting a defensive player (like Lawson) with our 1st rounder.  The Cowboys knew going in that Smith was a long-term project, and are applauded.  The Bills get blindsided with a long-term project, and they made a "mistake".  The draft is a crap-shoot every year.  I'm just glad the Colts went with a "safe" pick like Kelly because he can contribute THIS year. :clover:

13 hours ago, Superman said:

He's been putting off surgery for his labral tear for three years. It was reported right after the draft that he was planning to have surgery after the 2016 season. Maybe the medical recheck was accurate at the time, but it's not like him having an issue during practice is unforeseeable. It's probably something that should have been done immediately after the past season, at the latest, but that might have hurt his draft stock.

I know medical issues are difficult to project, but I think any team that had a medical red flag on Lawson due to the shoulder is feeling vindicated right now. Since the draft, it's only been bad news for him. Now his season is in doubt.

And to think, people here were begging us to jump and get him...... for once Grigs played the cards right and took Kelly

15 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

It's even more of a crapshoot from the coaches' perspective.  Think about being Rex Ryan or Jason Garrett.  They draft these guys that could be defensive studs in 2 years.  But if the team doesn't perform well THIS year, they might not be the head coach by the time these "studs" are healthy enough to play.

I think Grigson and Pagano can feel how hot their seats are, and said to themselves "I might not even BE here next year, we need guys that are healthy and can help us win NOW!"  It's kind of a catch-22, because if Green ends up being a major contributor this year, it will either be because of an injury to Geathers, or Geathers will regress and need to be replaced, which doesn't reflect well on Grigs or Pagano...

Unless, of course, Green is our FS of the future, and Geathers is our SS of the future, and Adams gets hurt, and the two "G's" (holy cow I really like that.  Green and Geathers, the "2 Gs", we got a couple of Gs in our secondary) ball out and become the best safety tandem in the NFL for the foreseeable future... :clover:

Pretty sure the plan actually is to have Geathers as SS, where he has been basically, though he has played both SS and FS he's listed as a SS and has great size at 6-1 215....4.55 40 time...... T.J. Green is 6-2 209 and can play either Safety position with 4.34 40 time..... he has a lot less experience at S, but if our future second level pans out..... look out

21 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I was talking Smith vs Lawson. Smith is a second rounder, where it's considered more acceptable to take a risk like this. Lawson was a mid first rounder, where most people think you should be getting a guy who can contribute in Year 1. I was just pointing out why those two picks are considered different, IMO.

I agree that the Colts needed a safe pick this year. Someone with a high floor who can play right away, and it doesn't help that he's expected to fill the biggest need on the offense.

13 minutes ago, Archer said:

Yet another reason I shouldn't be a GM!  I would have drafted Shaq!

To be fair, if you were a GM, you would have had access to a lot more information. Of course, so did the Bills, and they still took him, so...

On May 16, 2016 at 7:38 PM, oldunclemark said:

Is there a typical shoulder injury?

..His shoulder is chronic, or he played hurt.....from what I've heard.

anyway..you cant come back of injury, as a rookie..with no training camp..during the season...

jump in and contribute.

Best thing they can do is sit him for the year....They knew that was a possibility

What's is 'typical' is the recovery time frame ranges from a standard medical procedure designed to repair a specific condition.

Also, he may not contribute early in the year, but if allowed to stay on the 53 man roster, practice with the team, and then be healthy scratch if necessary, he will still advance his knowledge and ability for next year rather than I.R. and him sitting at home all season. On the plus side, he could advance enough to contribute late in the year and get even more experience before next season.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 6:19 PM, Superman said:

I was talking Smith vs Lawson. Smith is a second rounder, where it's considered more acceptable to take a risk like this. Lawson was a mid first rounder, where most people think you should be getting a guy who can contribute in Year 1. I was just pointing out why those two picks are considered different, IMO.

I agree that the Colts needed a safe pick this year. Someone with a high floor who can play right away, and it doesn't help that he's expected to fill the biggest need on the offense.

Smith is a "2nd" rounder because his injury was known going into the draft.  If the Bills had known about Lawsons' injury being this serious, they probably wouldn't have made him a 1st rounder.  Lawson, and Tunsil for that matter, should have been drafted after Smith and Jack, but I guess nobody knew that Lawson and Tunsil were going to be such big injury question marks like Smith and Jack.

That's why it's ironic to me.  The Cowboys knew about Smiths' injury, so they look smart for selecting Smith in the 2nd.  That Jags pick up Jack in the 2nd in a "genius" move.  The Bills didn't know Lawsons' shoulder was this bad, so they look like *s for spending their 1st rounder on him.  I don't think the Dolphins knew about Tunsils' foot either, and on top of the pre-draft idiocy, they look kinda silly for spending a 1st rounder on Tunsil.

If a player is completely forthcoming about their injuries (Smith, Jack), they drop in the draft, but allow the teams to make smart decisions.  If a player is NOT forthcoming about their injuries (Lawson, Tunsil) they get more money for being drafted higher, but they hurt the team because of less-than-projected availability.

38 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Smith is a "2nd" rounder because his injury was known going into the draft.  If the Bills had known about Lawsons' injury being this serious, they probably wouldn't have made him a 1st rounder.  Lawson, and Tunsil for that matter, should have been drafted after Smith and Jack, but I guess nobody knew that Lawson and Tunsil were going to be such big injury question marks like Smith and Jack.

That's why it's ironic to me.  The Cowboys knew about Smiths' injury, so they look smart for selecting Smith in the 2nd.  That Jags pick up Jack in the 2nd in a "genius" move.  The Bills didn't know Lawsons' shoulder was this bad, so they look like *s for spending their 1st rounder on him.  I don't think the Dolphins knew about Tunsils' foot either, and on top of the pre-draft idiocy, they look kinda silly for spending a 1st rounder on Tunsil.

If a player is completely forthcoming about their injuries (Smith, Jack), they drop in the draft, but allow the teams to make smart decisions.  If a player is NOT forthcoming about their injuries (Lawson, Tunsil) they get more money for being drafted higher, but they hurt the team because of less-than-projected availability.

Does Tunsil have an injury I don't know about? I'm not sure what you mean there, or if you're talking about someone else... I also don't think they look silly for drafting him, despite all the noise. If there's an injury that I'm not aware of, that might be different, but I don't really care about the draft day drama. To me, he was the best overall player in the draft.

I know what you're saying, but I think you're overlooking some things. First, the reason Smith and Jack dropped is because the short and long term implications of their respective injuries are unclear. Smith probably won't be ready in 2016, and no one can say whether he'll fully recover; the Cowboys evidently had a higher comfort level with him because their team doctor performed his surgery. Jack might have a degenerative issue. But every year, players with significant injuries get drafted in the first round: Karl Joseph this year, Todd Gurley last year, Jadaveon Clowney the previous year... and that's without digging for more, which I'm sure there are. If teams feel good about the player's recovery, they'll use a high pick on him. Players don't get rewarded for not being forthcoming. And with Smith, he actually tried to downplay the seriousness of his situation, IMO.

Second, I don't know who is calling the Cowboys smart for drafting Smith. People feel like they might have gotten a really good player, a top five prospect who fell to the second round. It's not like no one had their eye on him. And if he doesn't recover as expected, he'll represent a wasted pick, even if everyone understands why the Cowboys took a chance on him.

I really don't think the Lawson situation has anything to do with the Smith or Jack situations. Lawson was reportedly cleared with his medical recheck. Teams knew that he was planning to have surgery after the 2016 season, and I think several teams that might have drafted him decided not to because of his shoulder. The Bills didn't anticipate that he would get hurt in practice, of course, but that doesn't mean he hid the seriousness of his injury. I don't even think it makes the Bills look stupid. Players get hurt -- Fowler missed his rookie season entirely after getting hurt in minicamp. Maybe it makes teams who passed on him look smart, but I don't even think I'd go that far.

TL;DR, I don't think the Lawson injury makes the Bills look bad. I think it hurts their development because their first rounder probably won't play this year, but that happens sometimes. It's not like they ignored his medical situation, as far as we know. The Smith pick is viewed differently because he's a second rounder. 

I think the Cowboys are smart for drafting Smith.  Some people had him as the #1 prospect before his injury.

I also think it shows a little bit about these players' character whether their injuries are an issue before or after the draft.  I think in all four cases (Tunsil, Jack, Smith, Lawson) it could have been a known entity how serious these injuries were going into the draft, but I'm not a professional and don't know all the details.  I think the players probably know their bodies well enough to know their ankle or shoulder isn't OK yet, but if they say it's OK, they get drafted higher and make more money.  I can't blame them, I'm just assuming it's frustrating for the teams that drafted them thinking they were going to be ready.

On 5/19/2016 at 11:10 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

That's why it's ironic to me.  The Cowboys knew about Smiths' injury, so they look smart for selecting Smith in the 2nd. 

The Cowboys head team physician is the one who performed the surgery on Smith. Of course they are going to know more than other teams about Jaylon's condition, and of course the doc is betting on himself and his skills that were used on Smith.

That Jags pick up Jack in the 2nd in a "genius" move. 

Since he fell there, why not?  If Jack has to have future microfracture surgery, that's 4-6+ months out of commission (plus no guarantee he returns to his full 100%). Much easier to swallow on a second round pick than your 1st rounder.

The Bills didn't know Lawsons' shoulder was this bad, so they look like *s for spending their 1st rounder on him. 

I think the Bills completely knew, they just rolled the dice that Ramsey could play one more year in a brace, like he did all throughout college, and have surgery immediately at seasons end.  A 'problem' in a non contract drill made them revise their plan of action.  They gambled and lost.  Stuff happens.

I don't think the Dolphins knew about Tunsils' foot either, and on top of the pre-draft idiocy, they look kinda silly for spending a 1st rounder on Tunsil.

Hmmm... I don't ever recall any O lineman ever having a shortened career because of an arthritic ankle.  Anybody know of one?  Maybe there is, but I'll bet other injuries sustained during his career will be more likely to affect his career duration than his ankle, IMHO.  Time will tell though.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 0:27 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

The Cowboys head team physician is the one who performed the surgery on Smith. Of course they are going to know more than other teams about Jaylon's condition, and of course the doc is betting on himself and his skills that were used on Smith.

Since he fell there, why not?  If Jack has to have future microfracture surgery, that's 4-6+ months out of commission (plus no guarantee he returns to his full 100%). Much easier to swallow on a second round pick than your 1st rounder.

I think the Bills completely knew, they just rolled the dice that Ramsey could play one more year in a brace, like he did all throughout college, and have surgery immediately at seasons end.  A 'problem' in a non contract drill made them revise their plan of action.  They gambled and lost.  Stuff happens.

Hmmm... I don't ever recall any O lineman ever having a shortened career because of an arthritic ankle.  Anybody know of one?  Maybe there is, but I'll bet other injuries sustained during his career will be more likely to affect his career duration than his ankle, IMHO.  Time will tell though.

I think Smith and Jack were drafted where they should have been drafted.  I think Lawson and Tunsil probably should have been drafted later than they were.  It's a character red-flag to me when injuries become news post-draft as opposed to pre-draft.  Lawson getting surgery sooner could have put him on the field sooner, but waiting until after getting that first NFL paycheck, he delayed his progress in the NFL.  Why didn't he just get this surgery after the National Championship game?  Why wait until after getting drafted?  The Bills and Dolphins both gambled on Lawson and Tunsil, and it doesn't look good short-term.  But you're right, time will tell.

From the other side of the table, maybe these athletes honestly don't think an existing injury will hinder their progress in the NFL.  So why devalue themselves by being cautious and getting surgery before the draft?

On 5/21/2016 at 6:01 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I think the Cowboys are smart for drafting Smith.  Some people had him as the #1 prospect before his injury.

I also think it shows a little bit about these players' character whether their injuries are an issue before or after the draft.  I think in all four cases (Tunsil, Jack, Smith, Lawson) it could have been a known entity how serious these injuries were going into the draft, but I'm not a professional and don't know all the details.  I think the players probably know their bodies well enough to know their ankle or shoulder isn't OK yet, but if they say it's OK, they get drafted higher and make more money.  I can't blame them, I'm just assuming it's frustrating for the teams that drafted them thinking they were going to be ready.

I don't think the Cowboys are smart because of that pick. I think they took an incredible risk in hopes they get a potentially great player, but the other side of the coin is that their guy never returns to form. This pick could blow up in their faces. Truth is that somebody was going to take Smith early in the second round, the Cowboys just happened to have the third pick. I said it earlier, what I think would have been smart in Smith's case would be to draft him at the end of the first, since you'd have the fifth year option on a player who probably has to sit out his first year. If the Cowboys had traded up and done that, then I'd call them smart. JMO

Jack didn't hide anything, in fact he probably said too much. It was out his mouth that the words "microfracture surgergy" were heard, and that probably cost him a first round selection. Smith tried to downplay his condition, but still went in the second round, so it can be argued that it didn't help him.

I'm waiting to hear from someone other than Jason Cole that Tunsil has an ankle injury that wasn't known before the draft. And then the follow up question is whether he knew that he had a condition, if in fact he does. I don't think Tunsil belongs in this conversation, as I don't think his draft day fall had anything to do with concerns over his ankle.

Lawson's shoulder issue was well known, and evidently teams were aware that he'd be looking to have surgery after the 2016 season. You're absolutely right that he chose not to have the operation prior to the draft because he wanted to protect his draft status, and I think it worked. But I also think the Bills knew what kind of gamble they were taking when they drafted him. 

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think the Cowboys are smart because of that pick. I think they took an incredible risk in hopes they get a potentially great player, but the other side of the coin is that their guy never returns to form. This pick could blow up in their faces. Truth is that somebody was going to take Smith early in the second round, the Cowboys just happened to have the third pick. I said it earlier, what I think would have been smart in Smith's case would be to draft him at the end of the first, since you'd have the fifth year option on a player who probably has to sit out his first year. If the Cowboys had traded up and done that, then I'd call them smart. JMO

They are smart for drafting him, period.  If he actually reaches his (very high) ceiling, that's great, but he has to do that before they are going to pay him anything close to a franchise tag after his rookie contract is up.  It's a win-win.  Maybe they could have saved a few million down the road by getting the 5th year option, but I have a feeling Smith is basically on a 2-year contract.  If he can't return to form within 2 years, we won't be talking about 5th year options or franchise tags anyway.

I think Smith and Jack get brownie points from the GM perspective, and Lawson and Tunsil (even sans injury) are red flags from here on out.