Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bills hire Rob Ryan as DC

NBColtsFanatic

I did not believe this when I saw the title. Bringing in family members in to your business is a violation of the fundamental rules of running a business. Those two do get along but Rob's defenses have not been impressive as of late so why hire him. I wonder who had the final say on this.

That's pretty cool to get to work alongside your brother...on the other hand one Ryan really hurt the Bills defense this year..two may destroy it. I've always like Rex's defensive schemes..but I can't say the same about Rob. This could end disasterously. I hope not...but it could.

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That's pretty cool to get to work alongside your brother...on the other hand one Ryan really hurt the Bills defense this year..two may destroy it. I've always like Rex's defensive schemes..but I can't say the same about Rob. This could end disasterously. I hope not...but it could.

They run the same scheme.  One is just better at it than the other

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

They run the same scheme.  One is just better at it than the other

Well watching Rob most of the time you could never guess lol....but yes I realize that lol...guess I just meant I've always admired Rex's defenses and his toughness...not so much for Rob's lol. But good call!

21 hours ago, chad72 said:

Just a matter of time, the circus is in town :).

Maybe they can do a Ryan version of "football on your phone" like the Mannings did.

I don't think Rob Ryan is the DC.  I believe he took on a similar title as Chud did. Rob Ryan is the Assistant Head Coach to the Defense.  I don't believe he is the Coordinator.  Why do you think it doesn't show anyone getting fired form Buffalo?

Rex knows what type of firestorm that would cause if he really made Rob the Coordinator considering how bad the Saints D was.

Rob Ryan, the former New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator who was fired in November, will be joining the Bills as assistant head coach for defense after Rex Ryan hired him Sunday.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14545272/rex-ryan-buffalo-bills-hires-rob-ryan-defense

It's the same type of thing when we made Chud "Assistant Head Coach". The only difference is Robs title has even less of a role than Chud. Chud was the assistant to all sides of the ball offense, defense, special teams.  Rob is just helping with one side of the ball.  Defense

Rex structured this thing so that if it blows up it primarily can be blamed on the real Coordinator and not his brother basically.  Just like when Pep stunk up the joint nobody blamed it on Chud who was the Assistant Head Coach!  No they fired Pep and promoted the guy who was "consulting/advising him"  LOL!  Not that I think Chud is bad.

Regardless of how it is structured, if the Bills don't make the playoffs, the owner has said that Ryan will be fired. Pegula came out last week with the ultimatum regardless of it only being Rex's second year. They want return on the dollar for all the bucks they have shelled out to that defensive line. I don't think hiring Rob was the best thing to do, but brothers don't grow on trees, and if Rex gets fired next year, it may be Rob who hires Rex the next time.

1 hour ago, loudnproudcolt said:

Regardless of how it is structured, if the Bills don't make the playoffs, the owner has said that Ryan will be fired. Pegula came out last week with the ultimatum regardless of it only being Rex's second year. They want return on the dollar for all the bucks they have shelled out to that defensive line. I don't think hiring Rob was the best thing to do, but brothers don't grow on trees, and if Rex gets fired next year, it may be Rob who hires Rex the next time.

That's unconfirmed 

Here's what will happen;

Next year, Buffalo will have an amazing defense. Rob's first year with the Saints, they were ranked in the top 5. The Bills will still have discipline issues with big penalties and problems. Rob Ryan's defenses are notorious for dumb penalties and personal foul calls. 

In 2017 and following, they'll take a huge downward spiral and look bad all around.

Buffalo is not a winning team. Rex's problem is always his offense's lack fire power or they can't score enough points. I don't see that changing for him in the future.