Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Or 4 First Round Picks In Next 2 Years?

Luck or 4 First Round Picks in Next 2 Years?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Draft Luck Or Trade to Cleavland

• Draft Luck
    • Trade to Bucks for 3 First round picks next 2 years & Draft RGIII
    • Trade to Browns for 4 First Round Picks next 2 years & miss luck and RGIII

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we could trade Freeney and Clark (we probably have to do this anyways to meet cap restrictions), we'd grab a couple extra picks this year anyways. Package those with our #33 and move back into the 20s in the first round, and now you have that extra Browns pick everyone is talking about, plus you kept your #1 and took Luck. You still have five more picks, plus we probably have a compensatory pick coming for Charlie Johnson in this year's draft (maybe as high as a third or fourth; he started 16 games this year for the Vikings). Restructure Manning, resign Mathis, let Wayne or Garcon walk (another compensatory pick on the way in 2013), cut Brackett before March 1, etc. Boom, back in the mix, and you have Luck and Manning, and you've improved your team.

freeney and clark's contracts won't enable the colts to trade them.

Almost everyone is looking at the offense, instead try thinking about the DEFENSIVE opportunities this year:

Luke Kuechly, LB

Manti Teo, LB

Dont'a Hightower, LB

Dre Kirkpatrick, CB

Morris Claiborne, CB

If we traded with Cleveland for their 2012 1st & 2nd rd picks and possible 2013 1st and/or 2nd rd pick, we'd have the 4th, 33rd, & 36th picks and MIGHT be able to get 2 of these guys, PLUS we MIGHT be able to get some good (not great) players out of Cleveland as well. We have more holes than just the QB position that need filled.

heck, look at the Ravens. Flacco isnt a "great" QB, but he's good enough to get the job done with the rest of the team around him.

The highest possible trade we can get is Browns 2 first rounders this year plus thier 1st next year, which = 4.

You know how you want to buy that new pair of shoes for a really long time, but they have a sale on a shoe that you like just as much.

You can buy the initial new shoe and be broke, or buy the just as new shoe and get a shirt and hat to match.

Or like that time at band camp....................................

Have your cake and eat it too.

Example: Green Bay.

Aaron Rodgers is drafted yet he did not start initially, he took a back seat and learned from Bret Favre. Can someone tell me what Green Bay's record is?!

Here is what we need to do. We must prepare for the upcoming season with Peyton, god-willing, as our QB. Peyton Manning is, in my opinion, the best QB in the game. His attitude has always been of complete class. I truly believe wants what’s best for the Colts, over himself. Peyton is not just another QB, he is Colts family.

With this being said, realistically, he has about 3 more years as a "best in the game" QB. We MUST draft Andrew Luck. I apologize but one would be mentally incompetent to pass up on our QB of the future. I want to see Peyton with another Super Bowl ring and I believe he can do that over the next two seasons at Indianapolis. Can you think of a better mentor than Peyton Manning??!? No, you cannot. Luck will be happy wherever he goes because the money is there. The personal training Luck can receive from Peyton’s mentoring would be invaluable and I’m sure he realizes that. It’s been mentioned some contracts are coming up for renewal. It would be unfair to the rest of the team to go into a “rebuilding” phase when it is absolutely not necessary. (What do you think we are, the Redskins??) That’s my two cents.

Just to throw it out thereà When Peyton retires (let’s just say 5 years) let’s make him the offensive coordinator. If (when) he does well at that, I see him being the Head Coach of the Indianapolis Colts. Keep in mind his pristine knowledge of the game and first-hand relationship with the players (including his soon-to-be padawan, Andrew Luck) will make the Colts franchise keep its title as “winningest” most team in the last 10 years. Now let’s add some Super Bowl rings to that!

That's the kind of return you BETTER get if you trade the rights to a player that has a chance to be really, really good, at a crucial position like quarterback. The deal has to be so good for you that everyone can look at it and say "I don't really blame them, even if I wouldn't have done it myself."

Like you said, Colt McCoy would make a really good backup quarterback. Taylor would greatly improve the defensive line. And we'd still get an extra couple of picks this year and next. Manning better be healthy and you better win 10+ games for the next three years, and make a couple deep playoff runs.

I personally don't see why you can't retool your roster around Manning and take Luck. I think the emphasis on first round picks is a little too high, and you often see mid-round picks making a greater contribution here lately. If we could trade Freeney and Clark (we probably have to do this anyways to meet cap restrictions), we'd grab a couple extra picks this year anyways. Package those with our #33 and move back into the 20s in the first round, and now you have that extra Browns pick everyone is talking about, plus you kept your #1 and took Luck. You still have five more picks, plus we probably have a compensatory pick coming for Charlie Johnson in this year's draft (maybe as high as a third or fourth; he started 16 games this year for the Vikings). Restructure Manning, resign Mathis, let Wayne or Garcon walk (another compensatory pick on the way in 2013), cut Brackett before March 1, etc. Boom, back in the mix, and you have Luck and Manning, and you've improved your team.

Our team does not improve if we lose Freeney, Clark, and Garcon, by far not...

Have your cake and eat it too.

Example: Green Bay.

Aaron Rodgers is drafted yet he did not start initially, he took a back seat and learned from Bret Favre. Can someone tell me what Green Bay's record is?!

Here is what we need to do. We must prepare for the upcoming season with Peyton, god-willing, as our QB. Peyton Manning is, in my opinion, the best QB in the game. His attitude has always been of complete class. I truly believe wants what’s best for the Colts, over himself. Peyton is not just another QB, he is Colts family.

With this being said, realistically, he has about 3 more years as a "best in the game" QB. We MUST draft Andrew Luck. I apologize but one would be mentally incompetent to pass up on our QB of the future. I want to see Peyton with another Super Bowl ring and I believe he can do that over the next two seasons at Indianapolis. Can you think of a better mentor than Peyton Manning??!? No, you cannot. Luck will be happy wherever he goes because the money is there. The personal training Luck can receive from Peyton’s mentoring would be invaluable and I’m sure he realizes that. It’s been mentioned some contracts are coming up for renewal. It would be unfair to the rest of the team to go into a “rebuilding” phase when it is absolutely not necessary. (What do you think we are, the Redskins??) That’s my two cents.

Just to throw it out thereà When Peyton retires (let’s just say 5 years) let’s make him the offensive coordinator. If (when) he does well at that, I see him being the Head Coach of the Indianapolis Colts. Keep in mind his pristine knowledge of the game and first-hand relationship with the players (including his soon-to-be padawan, Andrew Luck) will make the Colts franchise keep its title as “winningest” most team in the last 10 years. Now let’s add some Super Bowl rings to that!

It's a whole lot harder if you waste the pick on a position that won't help Indianapolis while Peyton Manning is playing quarterback.

Honestly. I'm pretty sure the Colts are going to be taking Luck in the draft. Honestly im fine with that. After watching everyone argue the same exact thing for months on end. I kinda don't care what we do anymore. I'lll support whatever players we take and hope for the best. Whether Luck sits or plays isnt up to me. whether we draft luck or trade the pick. isnt up to me. In all honesty im tired of this darned argument that has lasted since we were 0-6. We cant do anything. so lets talk about the news we do hear. Lets talk about GMs. Coachs. what has happened today? the draft sure hasnt! save it for draft day.

Our team does not improve if we lose Freeney, Clark, and Garcon, by far not...

We haven't had Clark in two years. Garcon is okay, but he's nothing special. Very replaceable in the draft.

Freeney is where the real pain comes from. I wouldn't want us to lose him, but he's not irreplaceable, either. If you keep Mathis, and get more creative with your pass rush, you can make up for his loss. And understand, we're going to lose him at some point. Probably after 2012 when his contract expires. So if you can get something for him, then you can use the acquired assets to improve your team through the draft.

It's a whole lot harder if you waste the pick on a position that won't help Indianapolis while Peyton Manning is playing quarterback.

I understand where you're coming from and it's a valid point. I dissagree in the idea drafting Luck would be a waste. Our back-up QB is very lacking, to say the least, and it would be a positive step towards our future.

How do you figure? Trade Freeney to a team that's willing and able to extend his current deal, and that's done. Clark's contract isn't an issue either.

no one is going to pay a part time player $14.5 million. i wouldn't be surprised if the colts cut him and sign him to a new deal.

older players with big contracts rarely get traded, and i am having a hard time thinking of one that worked out for the team getting the player.

I understand where you're coming from and it's a valid point. I dissagree in the idea drafting Luck would be a waste. Our back-up QB is very lacking, to say the least, and it would be a positive step towards our future.

As long as we have a competent backup quarterback to can be a game manager then that is fine. If necessary we could draft a 5th, 6th, or 7th rounder like Russel Wilson or Kellen Moore. We don't need to spend $5.5+ million dollars on a backup quarterback. I seem to remember Jim Irsay saying that you can't have a good team if you pay one player $25 million dollars. Having both Peyton and Luck is having an outrageous $23.5+ million dollars tied up in the quarterback position. That just doesn't work for everyone who wants both Manning and Luck.

As long as we have a competent backup quarterback to can be a game manager then that is fine. If necessary we could draft a 5th, 6th, or 7th rounder like Russel Wilson or Kellen Moore. We don't need to spend $5.5+ million dollars on a backup quarterback. I seem to remember Jim Irsay saying that you can't have a good team if you pay one player $25 million dollars. Having both Peyton and Luck is having an outrageous $23.5+ million dollars tied up in the quarterback position. That just doesn't work for everyone who wants both Manning and Luck.

Agreed. I actually think, even though I have doubts about young mobile QB's i.e. vick, young, russel and the like...that Trading with Tampa and Getting extra 1st and 2nd round picks will also be a good deal if we also draft RGIII. I think RGII can play some football. I think he has the accuracy of Vick in College, and he might help as a Young Player if needed. Plus, a pick in 3rd position woud save like 5-10 million dollars.

Almost everyone is looking at the offense, instead try thinking about the DEFENSIVE opportunities this year:

Luke Kuechly, LB

Manti Teo, LB

Dont'a Hightower, LB

Dre Kirkpatrick, CB

Morris Claiborne, CB

If we traded with Cleveland for their 2012 1st & 2nd rd picks and possible 2013 1st and/or 2nd rd pick, we'd have the 4th, 33rd, & 36th picks and MIGHT be able to get 2 of these guys, PLUS we MIGHT be able to get some good (not great) players out of Cleveland as well. We have more holes than just the QB position that need filled.

heck, look at the Ravens. Flacco isnt a "great" QB, but he's good enough to get the job done with the rest of the team around him.

flaco is the problem with the ravens.

Sam Bradford was the second coming, most recently. Cam Newton was the risky not worth it pick... Nobodu truely nows what someone is going to become... with that said, we all know what Manning is! If he is healthy, you can trade the pick, and count on at least four more years of greatness!

What is the draft rolls around and it's still undecided if Manning will be healthy for the start of the season?

What is the draft rolls around and it's still undecided if Manning will be healthy for the start of the season?

Manning will either be cut March 8th or healthy enough to play... if there is some limbo situation, I think logic would say to take Luck. But I think Peyton's fate will be decided and known before the draft.

Assuming Manning will be healthy and play at top level for the next four years ... my vote =

Trade pick to Browns for DT Phil Taylor (teaming with Drake Nevis for a great 1/2 interior DL punch), QB Colt McCoy (top notch back up / serviceable injury starter), Brown's two 1st rounders this year and their 1st (and maybe 2nd) rounders next year ... c/w re-signing Wayne, Mathis, Garcon, & Saturday for 2012/13 Super Bowl run. Get Manning's eventual replacement in two years time.

Assuming Manning cannot make it back or if he likely only has a year or two left = Draft Andrew Luck and hope that Manning has 1 to 2 more years left, then retires with Luck happily then taking over to emerge as truly the NFL's next Manning.

first browns wont give up that much and second draft trades never involve actual players and 3 the rumor is holmgrem wants to stick with mccoy

first browns wont give up that much and second draft trades never involve actual players and 3 the rumor is holmgrem wants to stick with mccoy

You want to rely on rumors? I thought we were supposed to keep Jim Caldwell according to several "rumors..."

The Browns can give up as much as they want to.

It has nearly ZERO amount of common sense at all. First, a neck injury is not the same thing as a broken hose on your vacuum. This is more than a simple matter of "repair and replace." Second, multivitamens and health supplaments, are you kidding me? So you're saying that if Peyton takes his Flinstone vitamens and his Ginko Biloba that he can play until he's 45? Come on now. Yes, advancements in medical science and health care enables athletes to play longer; and improved training teaches 300 lb lineman to play with quickness and speed. However, age is age, and no matter how you look at it Peyton's clock is ticking? The question is, how much time is left on the clock? 2 or 3 years - probably. 4 or 5 years - maybe. 6 or 7 years - not likely. 8 to 10 years - not even close.

Are you kidding me! You don't think if Peyton takes flintstonescompletechil.jpg he wouldn't already be 100% healthy and ready to play for the next 20 years??????????

You can pass on Luck if Manning is healthy!

you cant pass on luck even if manning is healthy. prob reaching here, but what if manning was healthy next year comes back colts win superbowl manning decides to retire? you traded this years number 1 pick to the browns for both their first round picks this year and next years first pick, browns with luck or RG3 end up with a pick thats not in the top 5 or 10 come next years draft and who do the colts draft as their new QB? Barkley will be gone in the first 3 or 4 picks, colts would have the 32nd pick if they won the superbowl, all QBs coming out this year are pretty decent and the colts dont draft 1 because manning is "healthy " to play next year. there you have it you just pulled a polian by not having a future franchise QB in place when manning either 1)got hurt or 2) reitred. if you were the GM you wouldnt have lasted but a year and you would hear these two words " YOU'RE FIRED "

you cant pass on luck even if manning is healthy. prob reaching here, but what if manning was healthy next year comes back colts win superbowl manning decides to retire? you traded this years number 1 pick to the browns for both their first round picks this year and next years first pick, browns with luck or RG3 end up with a pick thats not in the top 5 or 10 come next years draft and who do the colts draft as their new QB? Barkley will be gone in the first 3 or 4 picks, colts would have the 32nd pick if they won the superbowl, all QBs coming out this year are pretty decent and the colts dont draft 1 because manning is "healthy " to play next year. there you have it you just pulled a polian by not having a future franchise QB in place when manning either 1)got hurt or 2) reitred. if you were the GM you wouldnt have lasted but a year and you would hear these two words " YOU'RE FIRED "

Another "what if" scenario.

Like I said before, "what if" Andrew Luck decides he wants to pursue a career in pro sand volleyball?

Luck on the Browns not finishing in the top10? Really? Against Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cincy, three playoff teams? Why don't you take a look at me recent if you were the GM post, obviously I have a contingency plan. I might get called crazy for passing on Luck, but my team would hoist 2 more Lombardi's before Peyton was done. I put a large amount of logic in my posts, but thanks for the criticism bud.

You have to trade the pick. You have to. Get the 2nd overall pick, take rg3, plus get more picks this year or next year. This years #1 pick is going ot be the most expensive ever. We'd gain a 2nd rd pick this year, next years 1st rd, and at least 1 more pick from each year. Having 2 first rd picks for 2 years in a row, plus at least 2 2nd or 3rd rd picks the same 2 years would be amazing.

You have to trade the pick. You have to. Get the 2nd overall pick, take rg3, plus get more picks this year or next year. This years #1 pick is going ot be the most expensive ever. We'd gain a 2nd rd pick this year, next years 1st rd, and at least 1 more pick from each year. Having 2 first rd picks for 2 years in a row, plus at least 2 2nd or 3rd rd picks the same 2 years would be amazing.

The reason I don't want Andrew Luck is the same reason that I don't want Robert Griffin III, they are both quarterbacks. We don't need one, we need to make the whole team better.

The reason I don't want Andrew Luck is the same reason that I don't want Robert Griffin III, they are both quarterbacks. We don't need one, we need to make the whole team better.

At least he see's the logic in trading the pick, I would take RGIII with the first pick if it ment acquiring the large bounty to improve the team. Otherwise, just taking Luck and having him sit and wait.

That's weird, because I think that trading the #1 pick is the no-brainer decision. Drafting Andrew Luck is not logical as it just doesn't add up...

How is passing on one of the greatest prospects in a long time a no brainier? Our qb position is far from stable. We have a 36 year old who has had 3 surgeries on his neck that had to do with his tricep. Are we suppose to just hope that he heals perfect and he doesn't take any hits behind this awful oline? No we get luck who is a mobile qb and we rebuild. Peyton got us 1 ring in his prime not sure why he would get another in the next couple years with this awful team.

That's weird, because I think that trading the #1 pick is the no-brainer decision. Drafting Andrew Luck is not logical as it just doesn't add up...

I would buy into your argument a little more if we knew for certain that Manning was going to play next season. As of right we do not know. In fact, Manning doesn't even know. As of right now, our starting QB is Dan Orlovsky and therefor I think that the QB position is a position of need.

How is passing on one of the greatest prospects in a long time a no brainier? Our qb position is far from stable. We have a 36 year old who has had 3 surgeries on his neck that had to do with his tricep. Are we suppose to just hope that he heals perfect and he doesn't take any hits behind this awful oline? No we get luck who is a mobile qb and we rebuild. Peyton got us 1 ring in his prime not sure why he would get another in the next couple years with this awful team.

So by your logic, it is a good idea to put a young, rookie QB on the field behind an "awful O-line" on an "awful team?"

This is your logic, not mine. I view the team in a completely different way than you.

I would buy into your argument a little more if we knew for certain that Manning was going to play next season. As of right we do not know. In fact, Manning doesn't even know. As of right now, our starting QB is Dan Orlovsky and therefor I think that the QB position is a position of need.

I kind of expect that Peyton Manning will be healthy. We haven't heard anything in a while about him rehabbing, but it was expected that he would recover fully. He hasn't said anything, but I would think that he is getting back to full strength by now. I don't know though.

That's why I don't like to speculate on things like this like a lot of Andrew Luck people on here. You may not know if he is healthy, but you also don't know that he isn't healthy.

I kind of expect that Peyton Manning will be healthy. We haven't heard anything in a while about him rehabbing, but it was expected that he would recover fully. He hasn't said anything, but I would think that he is getting back to full strength by now. I don't know though.

That's why I don't like to speculate on things like this like a lot of Andrew Luck people on here. You may not know if he is healthy, but you also don't know that he isn't healthy.

Yes, and come March 8, we will probably still not know if Peyton is healthy enough to play by the time the 2012 season starts. The thing about nerve regeneration is that it will be hard to tell if it has taken place. The only way to measure if the surgeries were successful is to see how Peyton throws (accuracy, velocity. release timing) compared to how Peyton threw before the injury.

What we will know by March 8, is if Peyton got paid his bonus. If Peyton gets paid, this does not necessarily mean that the Colts management thinks that Peyton is/will be healthy enough to play in the fall. Remember, Irsay paid Peyton $26MM when he knew Peyton would not be healthy enough to play last season. Irsay may or may not pay Peyton again, based on what he thinks is equitable for Peyton's past accomplishments and contributions to the Colts.

Strange as it may seem, and that goes against conventional business thinking, there is a scenario for the upcoming season that is very similar to the 2011 season, where Peyton is paid to be a Colt, but does not play a down.

So by your logic, it is a good idea to put a young, rookie QB on the field behind an "awful O-line" on an "awful team?"

This is your logic, not mine. I view the team in a completely different way than you.

Luck is wayyyyyy more mobile then Pm. This year we seen several rookie qbs come in a play right away.So by my logic it's logical to me that the colts play luck right away. Just my logic might not be your logic. What's your logic on the situation? Keep PM no matter what pass on luck let PM play his last years in Indy ride off in the sunset.