Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Or 4 First Round Picks In Next 2 Years?

Luck or 4 First Round Picks in Next 2 Years?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Draft Luck Or Trade to Cleavland

• Draft Luck
    • Trade to Bucks for 3 First round picks next 2 years & Draft RGIII
    • Trade to Browns for 4 First Round Picks next 2 years & miss luck and RGIII

Lol! You are biased, your dad was a Stanford alum, he has a natural bias towards Stanford players, which means Luck. It has nothing to do with where you went to school! So do you think before you type? I also live in a house of sports finatics, what does that mean? I watch games like everyone else and make my own opinions. Luck and Manning does not benefit the team in any way shape or form.. short or long term!

My dad may be but I'm not can you read? I just said I wasn't. I didn't go to that school and my school plays that team. You think I root for Stanford when they play? I love when Stanford loses I can rub it in my dads face. U may think u know everything and everyone but sorry you don't.

/discussion

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no i was talking luck over barkely who will most likely be the first pick next year. luck is as good as it gets when it comes to drafting a qb, everything you want in a qb he has and you cant deny that

Qb's come out every year! Most of the best NFL QB's were not taken with the #1 overall selection.. that says to me talent exists outside of #1. I think Luck will be good, but having the two of them on the same team, hurts the team in the long run. I would rather have the picks and players Luck would bring.. and get Brock Osweiler in 2013!

My dad may be but I'm not can you read? I just said I wasn't. I didn't go to that school and my school plays that team. You think I root for Stanford when they play? I love when Stanford loses I can rub it in my dads face. U may think u know everything and everyone but sorry you don't.

/discussion

Lol the way you interpret something is very comical. End of discussion.. why don't you message me again like a little girl

Qb's come out every year! Most of the best NFL QB's were not taken with the #1 overall selection.. that says to me talent exists outside of #1. I think Luck will be good, but having the two of them on the same team, hurts the team in the long run. I would rather have the picks and players Luck would bring.. and get Brock Osweiler in 2013!

how exactly would it hurt having luck and manning? luck would allow us to be competative if manning does go down again and he will succeed manning once hes down. so i ask again how does it hurt us?

Lol the way you interpret something is very comical. End of discussion.. why don't you message me again like a little girl

Girl? Easy tough guy. I just did it so we could continue our discussion not in a thread so other people don't have to deal with it.

Girl? Easy tough guy. I just did it so we could continue our discussion not in a thread so other people don't have to deal with it.

We are both passionate fans..thats obvious. We do not have to agree, you were the same guy who said I was challenging you in another post about Floyd or Blackmon were you not? I asked a poster where he had been, and you jumped all over me. You can dislike what I post, shoot we can argue back and forth, I enjoy a good debate. And at the end of the day we can agree to disagree!

how exactly would it hurt having luck and manning? luck would allow us to be competative if manning does go down again and he will succeed manning once hes down. so i ask again how does it hurt us?

Having Luck and Manning means that the salary cap is going to have a fair amount of money, more than any other NFL team invested in the QB position. Even given the rookie wage scale, that is a problem especially with all the holes on the team. Even with the Colts picking early in the draft, typically the first few rounds have instant starters, and this team needs some instant starters. The problem is by having both, you are kind of playing for the future, but hanging on to the past in Manning, while sort of competing for Super Bowls. Manning is good enough to lead the team back into the playoffs but I still see this team as a few players short of getting back to Super Bowl contention. Having Manning around also means veterans will be retained, and this will be a very similar roster to last years. Obviously that doesn’t infuse the team with young or even impactful talent, that choosing one or the other would bring. Going for the future and taking Luck in cutting ties with Manning means, freed up cap space to get free agents, and many of the older players leaving the Colts. It means rebuild mode for the next four to five seasons with Luck! Money to pursue free agents and continue to put pieces in place to make Luck successful. Trading the pick means infusing the team with young talent, while keeping some of the current veteran players. So that the team can compete again for Super Bowls, and have a good strong young nucleus of players from all the draft picks post Manning making the transition much smoother for the future QB. You cannot be successful by blending the two together. I am not saying Luck is a bad decision for Indy, especially if Manning isn’t healthy it’s a no brainer. I am saying to be successful you go all in on one or the other.

Having Luck and Manning means that the salary cap is going to have a fair amount of money, more than any other NFL team invested in the QB position. Even given the rookie wage scale, that is a problem especially with all the holes on the team. Even with the Colts picking early in the draft, typically the first few rounds have instant starters, and this team needs some instant starters. The problem is by having both, you are kind of playing for the future, but hanging on to the past in Manning, while sort of competing for Super Bowls. Manning is good enough to lead the team back into the playoffs but I still see this team as a few players short of getting back to Super Bowl contention. Having Manning around also means veterans will be retained, and this will be a very similar roster to last years. Obviously that doesn’t infuse the team with young or even impactful talent, that choosing one or the other would bring. Going for the future and taking Luck in cutting ties with Manning means, freed up cap space to get free agents, and many of the older players leaving the Colts. It means rebuild mode for the next four to five seasons with Luck! Money to pursue free agents and continue to put pieces in place to make Luck successful. Trading the pick means infusing the team with young talent, while keeping some of the current veteran players. So that the team can compete again for Super Bowls, and have a good strong young nucleus of players from all the draft picks post Manning making the transition much smoother for the future QB. You cannot be successful by blending the two together. I am not saying Luck is a bad decision for Indy, especially if Manning isn’t healthy it’s a no brainer. I am saying to be successful you go all in on one or the other.

we can still have a nucelus of player even if we draft luck. we have six other picks to get young talent. 5 million dollars will be lucks cap that is not a lot. obvousily some vets will have to be let go like mathis, saturday, and brackett, but that doesnt mean they cant be replaced. we have angerer who has played great this year, pollak that can play center and hughes to replace mathis. the other picks can be used to bring in young talent.

we can still have a nucelus of player even if we draft luck. we have six other picks to get young talent. 5 million dollars will be lucks cap that is not a lot. obvousily some vets will have to be let go like mathis and saturday, but that doesnt mean they cant be replaced. we have pollak that can play center and hughes to replace mathis. the other picks can be used to bring in young talent.

Exactly. We have more then one pick in the draft and we r getting a new gm who may be interested in dipping into free agency. There are some great young players available this year as free agents at almost every position.

we can still have a nucelus of player even if we draft luck. we have six other picks to get young talent. 5 million dollars will be lucks cap that is not a lot. obvousily some vets will have to be let go like mathis and saturday, but that doesnt mean they cant be replaced. we have pollak that can play center and hughes to replace mathis. the other picks can be used to bring in young talent.

Hughes has not proven he is a quality replacement, only several of those draft picks will be startes. If the Colts trade the pick, they will get somewhere between three to four picks in this year's draft alone. That means from 7 to 11 picks, possibly two firsts, two seconds, one third, two fourths... thats a large amount of starters to come from those rounds! Infuse this team with young talent with some of the veterans. To have both Manning and Luck puts the team in a bad in between state!

Hughes has not proven he is a quality replacement, only several of those draft picks will be startes. If the Colts trade the pick, they will get somewhere between three to four picks in this year's draft alone. That means from 7 to 11 picks, possibly two firsts, two seconds, one third, two fourths... thats a large amount of starters to come from those rounds! Infuse this team with young talent with some of the veterans. To have both Manning and Luck puts the team in a bad in between state!

hughes doesnt get many opporutinues to play, but when he has he makes plays. and we will not get all those picks in the same year

The highest possible trade we can get is Browns 2 first rounders this year plus thier 1st next year, which = 4.

You know how you want to buy that new pair of shoes for a really long time, but they have a sale on a shoe that you like just as much.

You can buy the initial new shoe and be broke, or buy the just as new shoe and get a shirt and hat to match.

How does two picks this year plus one pick next year =4? I learned that 2+1=3.

hughes doesnt get many opporutinues to play, but when he has he makes plays. and we will not get all those picks in the same year

If it is with the Browns it will be #4 and #23-32.. then #33 and #37! That is four top 40 talents! That will isntantly improve the team, and that is just this year! Next year would probably be a first and second giving the Colts at worst 4 of the top 65 players in the draft next year! That doesn't include anything draft pick wise for the future, possible players, or even mid round selections!

lets see ive said this before and ill say it again taking luck were making sure we will be back in this same situation AGAIN. if we trade the pick and get a bunch of picks over the next even 3-4 years given who ever is willing to give up the most picks and/or picks and players. this team could be superbowl contenders for many many many years to come but with luck were gonna be picking top ten the next 4 years with only one pick in teh first round every year. give me the many picks over the one a year. cannot build a team around one guy AGAIN my being a fan cant handle this all over again. sorry

If it is with the Browns it will be #4 and #23-32.. then #33 and #37! That is four top 40 talents! That will isntantly improve the team, and that is just this year! Next year would probably be a first and second giving the Colts at worst 4 of the top 65 players in the draft next year! That doesn't include anything draft pick wise for the future, possible players, or even mid round selections!

and what makes you think the browns want to trade? what are they suppose to do with mccoy? there is no way the browns will put all their hopes on one player.

none as good as luck and we will not be in the position to draft any of them

True, but Roethlisburger isnt nearly as good as Manning and has twice the amount of rings. This is going to be the most crucial offseason for any team in a long time. Maybe even ever. I have been one of the people saying we should trade the pick but at the same time if the new GM feels like he has to take Luck I completely understand. I just hope that they dont rule out trade offers. Having 2 first rounders the next 3 years would be ridiculous and we would have more then enough "ammo" to trade up for a QB. Or hopefully the team we trade with has a bad year, giving us an early pick in future drafts. As long as we select 32nd overall with our original pick im happy. Luck or no Luck, thats all I want.

what have browns done to help mccoy? he has garbage wrs. greg little is nothing special and mo is lucky if he catches 2 balls

So now that they have the opportunity to get a franchise guy with an arsenal of draft picks, they will use them elsewhere... and they still have money they need to spend in free agency, where they could over pay for the services of a wide receiver and pass rusher. They could get Bowe and Osi in free agency to compliment Luck.

So now that they have the opportunity to get a franchise guy with an arsenal of draft picks, they will use them elsewhere... and they still have money they need to spend in free agency, where they could over pay for the services of a wide receiver and pass rusher. They could get Bowe and Osi in free agency to compliment Luck.

exactly and mccoy is as good as big ben. but if they had luck it would make their average at best WR's even better. ya know how you guys keep saying luck is the next peyton manning? see what wayne and clark have doen without manning? see this is exactly the point. we trade down and boom we are superbowl contenders the next 10-15 years once again. with luck were gonna be bad for at least 3-4 years after manning retires. and that is if luck ends up not being a bust. ive said this many times i want a team to root for not just one guy. i rooted for the team back in 93-94 ad they almost made the superbowl but didnt have that stud WR that could catch anything and blackmon would be that guy. can you imagine it though? if we got him that meant that ageing reggie would be left to go into free agency and free up the extra money.

Look, even if Manning is healthy you don't pass on Luck.

Why?

1. It's not like Manning is still in the middle of his career. If that were the case, I would strongly be in favor of trading the pick. He's in the last 2 to 4 years of it, and with so many unknowns about his health its closer to 2 years than 4.

2. The team is going through a rebuilding process, and while Manning would be valuable in the trasitionary period, he is not the long term answer.

3. Just look at teams like Denver and Miami. Both of those teams have struggled to find a true frachise quarterback ever since Elway and Marino retired; and ever since they've enjoyed mediocre sucess at best. The Colts are in a rare position were they can hand the franchise over to Luck and continue to be a playoff team for the next decade. And yes I know Luck will struggle at first, just like any rookie does....

We are drafting Luck. You can make all the polls you want, but this is whats going down. We Draft Luck, Peyton restructures his 28$mil bonus so that we can keep him at least one more year while he grooms Luck. At end of the year, we trade Peyton to his choice of team to compete for another Superbowl in his final 2 years of NFL play.

who? is coming out next year ??? barkley he`ll be the first pick no chance at him ..tyler bray?? u cant pass up on a player that comes once every 20 years...ppl wanna past up on luck because we have a hall fame qb what if we didnt we would be singing a different tune face the facts guys we have pm for another 3 years tops .. freeney brackett saturday manning wayne there all getting old new face will turn up... hence anger,rookie lef tackle constanzo slowly rebuilding

I can't seem to get over how people think that a bunch of rookies are going to suddenly make this team SB caliber. Even if Manning were 100% which he may very well NOT be I don't think we go past the 2nd round of the playoffs next year and that's assuming we make it that far. Now you're going into 2013 and you still have a 37 year old Manning and you have to draft a franchise QB but you're drafing 10th overall or something and you're getting a Josh Freeman or Christian Ponder type player instead of a Drew Brees or Matt Schaub.

Now you're going into 2013 and you still have a 37 year old Manning and you have to draft a franchise QB but you're drafing 10th overall or something and you're getting a Josh Freeman or Christian Ponder type player instead of a Drew Brees or Matt Schaub.

I find this to be extremely funny considering that Brees was a 2nd round pick and Schaub was a 3rd round pick.

But anyway, I see nobody voted for Trade to bucks, Lock up RGIII and get thier 1st this year and next year probably thier 2nd this and next year. I find that strange

We are drafting Luck. You can make all the polls you want, but this is whats going down. We Draft Luck, Peyton restructures his 28$mil bonus so that we can keep him at least one more year while he grooms Luck. At end of the year, we trade Peyton to his choice of team to compete for another Superbowl in his final 2 years of NFL play.

what's it like in lala land?

Bottom line is the #1 pick is overrated, everything is chance, just like there's a chance Peyton may never play again(knock on wood), and there's a chance Luck could be a bust. If Peyton is healthy u trade the pick, this is why. If a sales person comes to your door trying to sale a vacuum and he says this thing is great, I'm an expert been in the business for 20 years and its the best I've seen to date, and here listen to all these guys they say it is too. But here's the deal u already have one that's great just has a broken hose, but the repair man says it still under warranty we can fix and make it stronger(stated by a doctor) then it was before. Ok the sales man pitches this, it's out dated and old, but u just got new carpet and it's a lot less stressful on the "old" vacuum. Repair man says that should help extend the life of your current vacuum significantly. Now most people since they already have money invested in the "old" vacuum are gonna stick with what's been great for them(assuming that vacuum will be brought to full strength, which we will kno before the draft. And all signs point to yes), and maybe use the extra money(picks) to give the vacuum some help, idk a broom, a mob, maybe a rug so people can wipe their shoes off at the door. Yes I'm a big Peyton guy, but facts are with the league heading the direction it is, to protect the QB, and all the mutivitiams and health stuff on the market, it is very feasible a QB can play till his mid 40. What???? U say. No way!!! Well not very many people thought u would see a 6'6" 270lbs man run a 4.3 40 either. Not many people thought they would see 60-70 year olds competing in body building and triathlons either. Guess what people they do. And the QB is the only player on the field(when he's in the pocket) who gets to play 2 hand touch, while everyone else has to play tackle. IMO #1 pick is overrated especially if that position is filled(which we should know before the draft), and we are inneed of other positions more so let's trade down, feel are gaps, and compete for a SB(hopeing that we resign some of are FA vets). Worst case scenario, Peyton turns out no to be able to play, trade up next year and get Barkley from USC. He wasn't to far behind luck anyway. besides only3 of the past QBs taken #1 overall are HOFs, 4 if u count Peyton. Heck while I'm at it 5 if u count Luck cause all the "experts" are saying so, or atleast you luck lovers act like it.

Bottom line is the #1 pick is overrated, everything is chance, just like there's a chance Peyton may never play again(knock on wood), and there's a chance Luck could be a bust. If Peyton is healthy u trade the pick, this is why. If a sales person comes to your door trying to sale a vacuum and he says this thing is great, I'm an expert been in the business for 20 years and its the best I've seen to date, and here listen to all these guys they say it is too. But here's the deal u already have one that's great just has a broken hose, but the repair man says it still under warranty we can fix and make it stronger(stated by a doctor) then it was before. Ok the sales man pitches this, it's out dated and old, but u just got new carpet and it's a lot less stressful on the "old" vacuum. Repair man says that should help extend the life of your current vacuum significantly. Now most people since they already have money invested in the "old" vacuum are gonna stick with what's been great for them(assuming that vacuum will be brought to full strength, which we will kno before the draft. And all signs point to yes), and maybe use the extra money(picks) to give the vacuum some help, idk a broom, a mob, maybe a rug so people can wipe their shoes off at the door. Yes I'm a big Peyton guy, but facts are with the league heading the direction it is, to protect the QB, and all the mutivitiams and health stuff on the market, it is very feasible a QB can play till his mid 40. What???? U say. No way!!! Well not very many people thought u would see a 6'6" 270lbs man run a 4.3 40 either. Not many people thought they would see 60-70 year olds competing in body building and triathlons either. Guess what people they do. And the QB is the only player on the field(when he's in the pocket) who gets to play 2 hand touch, while everyone else has to play tackle. IMO #1 pick is overrated especially if that position is filled(which we should know before the draft), and we are inneed of other positions more so let's trade down, feel are gaps, and compete for a SB(hopeing that we resign some of are FA vets). Worst case scenario, Peyton turns out no to be able to play, trade up next year and get Barkley from USC. He wasn't to far behind luck anyway. besides only3 of the past QBs taken #1 overall are HOFs, 4 if u count Peyton. Heck while I'm at it 5 if u count Luck cause all the "experts" are saying so, or atleast you luck lovers act like it.

An don't get me wrong I'm not a luck hater, I really think the first pick is overrated and we need to take advantage of it, obviously I could see taking him if we were a QB away from gettin to the big game, but infact a lot of people would say were a whole team(except QB) away from getting to the big game, and 14 months ago all colts fans were saying that, or atleast that we were a defense away.

In most of the trade talk being put forth, players are rarely mentioned. To want a bunch of high draft picks is all well and good, but half of all high picks don't turn out. Why not go for a few existing players in addition to draft picks? To get a high quality "known" player will, imho, more often than not trump hit and miss draft picks.

Eg. In almost all of the talk about trading with Cleveland, nobody but me seems to be mentioning players. What about a Colts position of need like DT? The Browns have DT Phil Taylor, whom was very highly rated in last years draft and, based on what I heard about his play this year, he performed like a real stud DT in his 1st year. He sounds like the PERFECT answer at DT to compliment Drake Nevis.

Another player, young, promising, and reasonably inexpensive QB Colt McCoy - a quality back up QB with upside developmental potential. Sure, he's not the 2nd coming, but he seems like the perfect kind of guy to have as a back up for 3 to 4 years.

Ergo, in addition to a couple to 3 draft picks, why do I seem to be the only person advocating the inclusion of puzzle fitting existing players in trade talks with the Browns?

Bottom line, if Manning is going to come back healthy and play top level for another 3 to 4 years, if trading the top pick I want to see a player or two that can help right now!

In most of the trade talk being put forth, players are rarely mentioned. To want a bunch of high draft picks is all well and good, but half of all high picks don't turn out. Why not go for a few existing players in addition to draft picks? To get a high quality "known" player will, imho, more often than not trump hit and miss draft picks.

Eg. In almost all of the talk about trading with Cleveland, nobody but me seems to be mentioning players. What about a Colts position of need like DT? The Browns have DT Phil Taylor, whom was very highly rated in last years draft and, based on what I heard about his play this year, he performed like a real stud DT in his 1st year. He sounds like the PERFECT answer at DT to compliment Drake Nevis.

Another player, young, promising, and reasonably inexpensive QB Colt McCoy - a quality back up QB with upside developmental potential. Sure, he's not the 2nd coming, but he seems like the perfect kind of guy to have as a back up for 3 to 4 years.

Ergo, in addition to a couple to 3 draft picks, why do I seem to be the only person advocating the inclusion of puzzle fitting existing players in trade talks with the Browns?

Bottom line, if Manning is going to come back healthy and play top level for another 3 to 4 years, if trading the top pick I want to see a player or two that can help right now!

I'm so happy I could cry... Someone besides crazy old me talking about fixing the lines and taking players who can make immediate impact.

Why would anyone trade 4 #1 picks or even 2 of them for a completely unproven commodity?

again they are only talking about 3(last I heard) we would have 4 in 2 years counting our 1st rounder next year. And on the same hand why would u trade a HOF QB, who has(if he's healthy) a minimum of 4 GREAT years of QB play left???

again they are only talking about 3(last I heard) we would have 4 in 2 years counting our 1st rounder next year. And on the same hand why would u trade a HOF QB, who has(if he's healthy) a minimum of 4 GREAT years of QB play left???

I wouldn't, as I have repeatedly said. I would take Kalil and build the lines to hopefully win another championship with Manning and to smooth the transition to his eventual successor by developing a good running game and excellent pass protection.

I can't seem to get over how people think that a bunch of rookies are going to suddenly make this team SB caliber. Even if Manning were 100% which he may very well NOT be I don't think we go past the 2nd round of the playoffs next year and that's assuming we make it that far. Now you're going into 2013 and you still have a 37 year old Manning and you have to draft a franchise QB but you're drafing 10th overall or something and you're getting a Josh Freeman or Christian Ponder type player instead of a Drew Brees or Matt Schaub.

manning will be 36 next year. one year without an all time qb and the team goes from sb contender to out house. are we over reacting a bit!!!

very good post. i hope you start posting more.

I wouldn't, as I have repeatedly said. I would take Kalil and build the lines to hopefully win another championship with Manning and to smooth the transition to his eventual successor by developing a good running game and excellent pass protection.

yea that sounds great to me, peyton with a run game...watch out. they had the Edge, but back then we only had pass blockers, and they could run block. you could trade down to 4 and get the tackle from stanford(hes not far behind the kalil), then you could also take his teammate the guard with the 25th pick, and then go defense the next 2 rounds and maybe a WR in there, ive always wanted to see Peyton with a big time WR, and im not talking about blackmon, im talking some on 6'5'' with 4.4 speed, and can jump out the dome, just throw it up and go get it(i kno its not peytons game), but this would make all the short stuff open wide up for peyton to pickem a part, then our mediocre RBs could actually break off some big runs too...i would like to keep our 3 core WRs, wonder if there will be any big time WRs in FA?

but to feel in some spots with FA vets sounds great too...i would like to see a big time LB on defense

top players in their prime VERY rarely get traded in the nfl, and older players on their way out get traded for very little.

Easiest vote I've made in a while. In 1998, we could've traded Peyton Manning for 2-3 first round picks. Maybe one of those sticks, the others fade. Luck is a once in a generation QB. Other than winning the Super Bowl this year (who wants another playoff loss?), I think this could be one of the greatest Colts seasons in our proud history. Miami is still trying to bring a quality QB to the third world after 13 years since Marino retired. Denver is still trying to bring a quality QB to the rockies after 12 years since Elway retired. We most likely won't have the gut-wrenching pain of worrying about blackouts, Indiana's decline as a "football-state", and a decade of 6-10 to 9-7 futlity. Its very painful that father time moves so quickly and Peyton suffered career-changing injuries. Its very hurtful for me to see his career come to an end as a Colt, but the right decision is to rebuild with a once-in-a-generation QB. As tough as that decision is, its also about as objectively clear as tough decisions come.

can someone tell me one team that has ever traded away the first overall pick

The Baltimore Colts traded first pick, John Elway to the Broncos. How did that work out for the Colts? Not very good, but in their defense Elway didn't want to go to the Colts. I think after living that Irsay would definitely keep the pick and Luck. Also the Chargers and Giants traded Manning and Rivers. They both seemed to do well on that one and like Elway, Eli didn't want to go to the Chargers and Rivers has became a solid QB.