Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

La'el Collins, G/OT, LSU

Mediocre 40 yard dash much? Sounds like Mike McGlynn.

if want speed then he your guy ? Laken Tomlinson, G, Duke 

Height: 6-3. Weight: 330. 

Projected 40 Time: 5.18. 

He is a strong run-blocker who has to improve his pass protection for the NFL.

I thought I would breakdown a couple examples of why I would not draft La'el Collins at pick 29......Keep in mind this video is of him at Left Tackle and he would be in all probability moved in to play RG in the Colts scheme http://draftbreakdown.com/video/lael-collins-vs-wisconsin-2014/

:24 Struggles with getting all the way up to 2nd the level quick enough Does mirror the Linebacker well but struggles at times to hit a moving target

2:19 Does not bring his feet and hips with him nor get his hands up fast enough causing him to fall off balance and forward

4:13 Slow to fire off the snap and shoot his hands out and gets stood straight up and does not bring his hips forward  through contact again

I watched Him vs Ole Miss, Auburn, Wisconsin....All 2014 tape...I came away most impressed with his tape vs Florida.

Overall my opinion of watching Collins is he flashes the power to maul a smaller D Lineman off the ball and bury him. Most often when he locks his hands on you its over in pass protection but I believe he will struggle with more savvy D Linemen in the NFL who are far more developed. He does not have the range in my opinion or athleticism I'd like in Guards and does not flash the strength and tenacity enough to me to maul a bigger stronger D Lineman in the NFL, In our scheme our RG is asked to Pull quite a bit, I don't see him having the foot speed to do that consistently, I also think he struggles with double moves do to lack of foot speed...My real issue on him is the dipping of the head and he is slow to shoot his hands out at times causing him to fall forward off balance....Correctable? No doubt....But its an awful habit to break that may never be corrected.......Samson Satele struggles with that very issue and Collins is not as mobile as Satele

If your 40 time begins with a "5", then it doesn't much matter what number comes after it....

5.1-5.2 for an OL is still way better than a 5.4

Most of the latter end up being out of the league with weight-related issues after a few years, e.g. Max Jean-Gilles.

And here's the Collins profile from NFL.com.    They like him.   As does ESPN.

Analysis

Strengths

Thick through chest and displays upper-body strength. Has strong hands and will snatch and control less active defenders. He takes defenders for a ride once he's engaged on the move. Loves to mash and intimidate opponents. Mean player. Can center pass rushers and end their attempt in pass pro. Utilizes length in pass protection and is acclimated to a pro-style offense. Able to run-block and pass-set laterally. Well-schooled and technically proficient. If he gets beat on a play, he comes back even harder on the next snap. Finisher. Can come in and play guard or tackle.

Weaknesses

Fails to consistently bring hips and feet with him through contact in the running game, causing him to fall forward and lose balance. Hands will start too low in pass pro at times and has to work hard to redirect. Change of direction is slow for a tackle. Relies on lunging rather than foot movement to counter inside moves. Plays high out of stance and loses leverage battle on short-yardage confrontations. Will have to move to right tackle or inside.

NFL Comparison  Donald Penn

Bottom Line

Lumbering brawler who has had a level of success in hyper-competitive SEC West. Lacks athleticism to be a consistent left tackle and will have to move to right tackle or bump inside to guard. Collins plays with a mean streak that is evident in every game and could come in and start right away in a power running game as a guard.

-Lance Zierlein

And here's the profile from Scouts Inc at ESPN.com.    They like Collins a lot too, but they now view him as the #1 guard rather than a high ranking tackle.    Not that they think he couldn't play tackle, only that they like him more as a guard.

Overall Football Traits

Production 1   2011: Played seven games (0 starts) as a true freshman   2012: Started all 13 games at LOG 2013: Played and started 12 games at LOT

Height-Weight-Speed 2   A ROT/OG tweener. Height is slightly below average but well within range for NFL OT. Better than average bulk with broad shoulders and a big bubble. Outstanding straight-line speed for size. Has massive hands (11'). Also Appears on tape to have long arms, but his 33 ½-inch arm length measurement in spring does not match up.

Durability 2   Did not play versus Furman in 2013 due to a minor undisclosed injury. Led team in 2012 with total snaps played.

Intangibles 2   Is well-respected and liked by teammates and coaches. A Person of high character who is mature and handles his business. No off-the-field issues. Was raised in a single-parent home by mother Loyetta Collins.

1 = Exceptional  2 = Above average  3 = Average  4 = Below average  5 = Marginal

Offensive Guard Specific Traits

Pass Protection 3   Is light on his feet and usually gets set quickly with a solid base under him (only few times where elite speed got him off-balance in set). Shows strong anchor in pass protection. Has strong hands and does a good job of sustaining block once locked out, but needs more aggressiveness at times in pass protection punch. Gets in trouble when pads rise and he becomes straight-legged. Can be a bit of a waist-bender after initial contact, which leads to him lunging and falling off some blocks.

Run Blocking 1   Has massive frame.  Fires off the ball with very good straight-line burst for his size. Has very good lower-body strength and strong hands to drive and steer defenders off the line.  Strong drive-blocker that consistently generates movement.  Can reach second level easily but is not a natural bender and has a difficult time hitting moving targets.

Awareness 2   Knows his assignments. Has experience at OT and OG. Studies tape and can transfer what he learns to the field. Shows adequate-to-good awareness in pass protection.

Toughness 2   Flashes mean streak and finishes plays through the whistle.

1 = Exceptional  2 = Above average  3 = Average  4 = Below average  5 = Marginal

And here's the profile from Scouts Inc at ESPN.com.    They like Collins a lot too, but they now view him as the #1 guard rather than a high ranking tackle.    Not that they think he couldn't play tackle, only that they like him more as a guard.

Overall Football Traits

Production 1   2011: Played seven games (0 starts) as a true freshman   2012: Started all 13 games at LOG 2013: Played and started 12 games at LOT

Height-Weight-Speed 2   A ROT/OG tweener. Height is slightly below average but well within range for NFL OT. Better than average bulk with broad shoulders and a big bubble. Outstanding straight-line speed for size. Has massive hands (11'). Also Appears on tape to have long arms, but his 33 ½-inch arm length measurement in spring does not match up.

Durability 2   Did not play versus Furman in 2013 due to a minor undisclosed injury. Led team in 2012 with total snaps played.

Intangibles 2   Is well-respected and liked by teammates and coaches. A Person of high character who is mature and handles his business. No off-the-field issues. Was raised in a single-parent home by mother Loyetta Collins.

Pass Protection 3   Is light on his feet and usually gets set quickly with a solid base under him (only few times where elite speed got him off-balance in set). Shows strong anchor in pass protection. Has strong hands and does a good job of sustaining block once locked out, but needs more aggressiveness at times in pass protection punch. Gets in trouble when pads rise and he becomes straight-legged. Can be a bit of a waist-bender after initial contact, which leads to him lunging and falling off some blocks.

Run Blocking 1   Has massive frame.  Fires off the ball with very good straight-line burst for his size. Has very good lower-body strength and strong hands to drive and steer defenders off the line.  Strong drive-blocker that consistently generates movement.  Can reach second level easily but is not a natural bender and has a difficult time hitting moving targets.

Awareness 2   Knows his assignments. Has experience at OT and OG. Studies tape and can transfer what he learns to the field. Shows adequate-to-good awareness in pass protection.

I got him as my #3 best Guard behind Scherff and Clemmings , I'd like to see more of Jamil Douglas, I only saw two tapes of him but he has more athleticism then Collins which I like

I think Collins can play RT, and well. His issue would be with counter moves by pass rushers, as he can't change direction and get back to the inside after setting up for an outside rush. He has some technique issues with balance, leverage, and use of hands, but those are coachable. The ability to mirror pass rushers on double moves is probably more of a talent/ability issue than a skill issue. 

And if he's moved inside to guard, he'll be a monster. 

That balance issue just worries the hell out of me if the Colts draft him, I just like my O Linemen to come with the ability to consistently stay on there own 2 feet, Add that to him likely having to move to RG if he was drafted by the Colts and him having to learn all the different type of stunts and twists at his new position and to me that's just to high of a bust potential to concern myself with if Im Grigson

That balance issue just worries the hell out of me if the Colts draft him, I just like my O Linemen to come with the ability to consistently stay on there own 2 feet, Add that to him likely having to move to RG if he was drafted by the Colts and him having to learn all the different type of stunts and twists at his new position and to me that's just to high of a bust potential to concern myself with if Im Grigson

Grigs wont have to worry because Collins will be gone by the time were on the board. 

Wait?     What?!?

Would you like to explain this?     It makes zero sense to me.....

Wouldn't have expected this to need much explanation.  I find it comical that there is analysis about the gradient between slow and slower for guys in the trenches.  If your 40 time is 5 or above, your ability to play the game won't be about speed in the 40, and you'll have to look at much more relevant measures to analyze whether a guy can play or not. 

Measuring fat guys and upgrading their stock for being "less slow" in a useless metric doesn't qualify as interesting to me.

Wouldn't have expected this to need much explanation.  I find it comical that there is analysis about the gradient between slow and slower for guys in the trenches.  If your 40 time is 5 or above, your ability to play the game won't be about speed in the 40, and you'll have to look at much more relevant measures to analyze whether a guy can play or not. 

Measuring fat guys and upgrading their stock for being "less slow" in a useless metric doesn't qualify as interesting to me.

It may not qualifying as interesting to you, but this is a huge head scratcher to me....

If you think all players from 5.1 to 5.9 are basically the same,  I think you're way off the mark.

I think there's a huge difference in ability, skill,  athleticism,  and how scouts perceive you.

Low 5's are good.   Mid 5's borderline,   and high 5's are almost unheard of for players.

Somewhere along the way I think you got very, very bad information.

I'm only making an issue of this because of my great respect for you.   I think you know football well,  on a number of levels.

But this one leaves me caught off guard....    I've never seen anyone make this argument before.   Not even close.

Overall Football Traits

Sounds like a solid option at RG

It may not qualifying as interesting to you, but this is a huge head scratcher to me....

If you think all players from 5.1 to 5.9 are basically the same,  I think you're way off the mark.

I think there's a huge difference in ability, skill,  athleticism,  and how scouts perceive you.

Low 5's are good.   Mid 5's borderline,   and high 5's are almost unheard of for players.

I'm only making an issue of this because of my great respect for you.   I think you know football well,  on a number of levels.

But this one leaves me caught off guard....    I've never seen anyone make this argument before.   Not even close.

My ex wife was a 5.1. Wish she was a 5.9

The respect is mutual....and I think you are reading waaay too much into my original comment - taking it way to literally.

40 times for fat guys are data points, and NFL guys look at everything, but are we really talking about their level of relevance?  Am I really explaining why I think they aren't very high up the list of relevant attributes that scouts measure? We can go deeper into this, but I really don't think you are suggesting that 40 times for fat guys are all that important. Yes, we agree that they need to be under 5.5, and you look twice if they are above 5.3.   

Grigson referenced the fast 40 time (sub 5) of Lance Louis last off-season - but there is a reason that no other Olineman on our team has had the coach or GM reference their 40 time, where as they reference 40 times for their speed guys or the speed guys from other teams frequently.  There are much better measures of transferrable athleticism important for their position.

The respect is mutual....and I think you are reading waaay too much into my original comment - taking it way to literally.

40 times for fat guys are data points, and NFL guys look at everything, but are we really talking about their level of relevance?  Am I really explaining why I think they aren't very high up the list of relevant attributes that scouts measure? We can go deeper into this, but I really don't think you are suggesting that 40 times for fat guys are all that important. Yes, we agree that they need to be under 5.5, and you look twice if they are above 5.3.   

Grigson referenced the fast 40 time (sub 5) of Lance Louis last off-season - but there is a reason that no other Olineman on our team has had the coach or GM reference their 40 time, where as they reference 40 times for their speed guys or the speed guys from other teams frequently.  There are much better measures of transferrable athleticism important for their position.

10 yard split

OL needing a  "good" 40 means nearly ZERO,   what DOES matter is "quickness off the ball" ...   That is HUGE.    

Short burst quickness...     goes a LONG way in being a very good NFL linemen..   along with strength,  intelligence.. 

Quick feet get a guy drafted on the OL faster than a 40 time.

Have you ever checked 40's of NFL G or T prospects?   LOL...     c'mon man..

Find a good NFL Guard or Tackle who runs a 5.40 or higher. Reality is most of them are undraftable; those who make it are either out of the league in 1-2 years ala Max Jean-Gilles, or end up as 2nd-3rd string Mike McGlynns and Lance Louises.

You don't see Jake Longs, Russell Okungs, and JJ Watts running 5.40+ 40s...but you'll see plenty of Montori Hughes, Kellen Heard, and Terrence Cody running those numbers.

Find a good NFL Guard or Tackle who runs a 5.40 or higher. Reality is most of them are undraftable; those who make it are either out of the league in 1-2 years ala Max Jean-Gilles, or end up as 2nd-3rd string Mike McGlynns and Lance Louises.

You don't see Jake Longs, Russell Okungs, and JJ Watts running 5.40+ 40s...but you'll see plenty of Montori Hughes, Kellen Heard, and Terrence Cody running those numbers.

Montori ran a 5.2

bOOm

Jack Mewhort ran a 5.37.

Joe Barksdale ran a 5.38

The best guard in the draft two years ago -- Chance Warmack from Alabama -- I think ran around 5.55.

In general terms,  I agree with you.    But there are exceptions to every rule....

We are talking 40 times for O Linemen.......For O Linemen....Unless you plan one sending one out wide on a go route (I highly suggest you should not do that if ever given the chance) then its very very irrelevant......Its not rocket science what your looking for in that 40 in an O Lineman

We are talking 40 times for O Linemen.......For O Linemen....Unless you plan one sending one out wide on a go route (I highly suggest you should not do that if ever given the chance) then its very very irrelevant......Its not rocket science what your looking for in that 40 in an O Lineman

There's a strong correlation between speed (40 yard time) and agility, and power.

Dontari Poe ran below a 5.00, but not Terrance Cody.

There's a strong correlation between speed (40 yard time) and agility, and power.

Dontari Poe ran below a 5.00, but not Terrance Cody.

All I want to know is what the O Linemans 10 yard split is, D Linemen are different. They are asked to go further then O Linemen generally, Dontari Poe is an athletic freak of nature for his size. Khaled Holmes ran a 5.29 at his Pro Day and his athleticism and ability to get to the second level was easy to see on film at USC