Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I give up making excuses for Luck's INTS

GoodLuck

I've been battered around so much on this thread that I haven't had time for perspectives. haha

You would have been better served to have waited until the game was over before starting this thread. Anyway... yes.. a couple of those ints were ill advised throws and really bad throws to boot. I too was swearing at the TV but it's really unfair to expect Luck to not make mistakes when he's being asked to carry a team with gaping holes on his back.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair point, but we need a little perspective, especially after the win. And we are also blind to the team effort. I think they only scored 3 points of the 3 x Ints......well done Defense....

Yea... crazy but I came away with the same feeling.. the defense played well. Strange that you give up 33 points and feel your D did a pretty good job , but I agree. They were great against the run , save two plays and Detroit receivers made some great catches. As you said earlier , Luck was unbelievable in those last two drives. 80 yards with just over a minute and no timeouts is special stuff. In those last 4 minutes , he looked like J Montana with a big arm.

You would have been better served to have waited until the game was over before starting this thread. Anyway... yes.. a couple of those ints were ill advised throws and really bad throws to boot. I too was swearing at the TV but it's really unfair to expect Luck to not make mistakes when he's being asked to carry a team with gaping holes on his back.

I understand the weight he carries, but to throw an int on 2nd 4 or 1st and 10 when he should eat it, run, or throw it away, game after game after game shows me he's not improving on protecting the ball. And that should be priority one

For sure!

I just don't get that some posters think that some of the mistakes (interceptions) are alright because he is a rookie. I am sure Luck himself wouldn't think his mistakes are close to acceptable.

Just because we won the game on an amazing drive doesn't mean Luck will be okay with those mistakes.

People are just getting so emotional...

I haven't seen one person say "interceptions are okay", but many have said that they are understandable. He's learning. And he always wants to make play, unfortunately that gets him in to trouble sometimes.

I don't personally get the fans that act like the world is coming to an end because Andrew threw some picks.

He's a rookie. He will get better. It takes players years sometimes to play like he has, In terms of sheer production.

I think most are preaching to give him time before we crucify him.

I haven't seen one person say "interceptions are okay", but many have said that they are understandable. He's learning. And he always wants to make play, unfortunately that gets him in to trouble sometimes.

I don't personally get the fans that act like the world is coming to an end because Andrew threw some picks.

He's a rookie. He will get better. It takes players years sometimes to play like he has, In terms of sheer production.

I think most are preaching to give him time before we crucify him.

and yet it is hard to crucify a QB who is 8-4 for a team coming off a 2 win season.....

Unless your name is Alex Smith...

and yet it is hard to crucify a QB who is 8-4 for a team coming off a 2 win season.....

Unless your name is Alex Smith...

1st I didn't see any pitch forks and torches come out for Luck on this topic. and 2nd He's not 8-4, the team is. Where some don't give him enough credit, others give him too much

This is what I'm talking about. Your expectations are realistic. And anyone who has higher expectations should just shut up?

Is that what you mean?

what were your expectations with an O Line made of 3 castoffs, a Left Tackle whos skills have not translated to the NFL and I question if they will at Left Tackle and a Left Guard whos also only started 5 games this year, Now I clearly agree we have issues, I believe in the hope for the best while plan for the worst strategy but to that point.....We have had some of the worst O Line play and given that fact we have gotten some of best out of our offensive weapons and it has produced 8 wins already with still 4 to go. We were never going to be the best this season that was clear the minute Manning was released and we started the rebuild but rome was not built in 1 day (I believe the process could have been greatly sped up with a few different sound decisions) But at the end of the day whats real is what matters most and realistically we have managed to go 8-4 through 12 games with many cast offs, rookies and an O Coordinator that refuses to use Lucks strengths very much

what were your expectations with an O Line made of 3 castoffs, a Left Tackle whos skills have not translated to the NFL and I question if they will at Left Tackle and a Left Guard whos also only started 5 games this year, Now I clearly agree we have issues, I believe in the hope for the best while plan for the worst strategy but to that point.....We have had some of the worst O Line play and given that fact we have gotten some of best out of our offensive weapons and it has produced 8 wins already with still 4 to go. We were never going to be the best this season that was clear the minute Manning was released and we started the rebuild but rome was not built in 1 day (I believe the process could have been greatly sped up with a few different sound decisions) But at the end of the day whats real is what matters most and realistically we have managed to go 8-4 through 12 games with many cast offs, rookies and an O Coordinator that refuses to use Lucks strengths very much

I expect improvement with protecting the ball.

1st I didn't see any pitch forks and torches come out for Luck on this topic. and 2nd He's not 8-4, the team is. Where some don't give him enough credit, others give him too much

Do ya honestly think if Luck went down before the season started that we would be anywhere near 8-4 with Mr. Irrelavant steering the ship?, We very likely be much closer to a repeat of last year with maybe a couple more wins but thats pushing it

Bro... go away... I was commenting on the post I quoted... which was not yours.

Please don't get your pannies in a bunch... I really don't care.

8-4 yall...............................

Celebrate...

Edited by Superman
removed link to video w profanity

Do ya honestly think if Luck went down before the season started that we would be anywhere near 8-4 with Mr. Irrelavant steering the ship?, We very likely be much closer to a repeat of last year with maybe a couple more wins but thats pushing it

The Qb would be Stanton and no, I don't think they'd be 8-4. And Luck is a special breed. Do you deny that he needs to protect the ball better?

Bro... go away... I was commenting on the post I quoted... which was not yours.

Please don't get your pannies in a bunch... I really don't care.

8-4 yall...............................

Celebrate...

Now that's the most thought out post of the day..... haha If I had that type of stench for Luck you'd want me banned. Edited by Superman
removed link to video w profanity

I expect improvement with protecting the ball.

I do to but 16 picks is also not a ton, Manning himself has had 7 seasons of 15 or more picks, and 5 or more fumbles Also Luck has 12 less picks then Manning did his rookie year and will likely surpass Manning pass attempts that Manning had his rookie season (575) to (Lucks 503). Some things I am frustrated with to, namely our O Line and Corner play(Mainly because we have neither at this point), Lucks play is not something Im all that worried about

I do to but 16 picks is also not a ton, Manning himself has had 7 seasons of 15 or more picks, and 5 or more fumbles Also Luck has 12 less picks then Manning did his rookie year and will likely surpass Manning pass attempts that Manning had his rookie season (575) to (Lucks 503). Some things I am frustrated with to, namely our O Line and Corner play(Mainly because we have neither at this point), Lucks play is not something Im all that worried about

I get your point. But criticizing the oline or the dbs during the game wont get you cyber smacked like it would if you were criticizing Luck. There is almost zero tolerance on this board for it. On something most people agree with. Maybe this isn't a COLTS forum, but a CULTS forum. At least some members are acting like it.

Good night

I get your point. But criticizing the oline or the dbs during the game wont get you cyber smacked like it would if you were criticizing Luck. There is almost zero tolerance on this board for it. On something most people agree with. Maybe this isn't a COLTS forum, but a CULTS forum. At least some members are acting like it.

Good night

You haven't recognized, either willfully or not, that plenty of people agree with you that Luck needs to do better with ball protection. It's obvious that he does; he has 16 interceptions this season, and they seem to come in bunches. He has eleven in four games. This game, through most of it, seemed like Luck's worst of the year. I felt like that even before the third pick, while he was on something like a 2-13 stretch. I'll be honest: it reminded me of how Curtis Painter would go from serviceable to plain awful in the middle of a game.

But no, at this point you're only interested in highlighting how YOU are being persecuted for speaking the truth, anyone who won't admit that you're right is a blind homer, and so on.

In reality, I don't want my quarterback to operate on the black and right rule of "don't throw into double- and triple-coverage." I don't want him to be so worried about not throwing a pick that he's unable to pull the trigger down the field. Good quarterbacks sometimes make risky throws, even veterans. Luck is a rookie, though. He's not always going to make the right decision, sometimes defenses are going to confuse him, sometimes his throws will just plain be off target. I'm hesitant to bring up Manning's six interception game against the Chargers in 2007 (or his 11 interceptions in three weeks in 2010), because it's not about Luck vs. Manning. But we are very familiar with Manning's history in the NFL, and we've seen him have bad games even as a veteran, not to mention 28 interceptions as a rookie.

It's about balance. As a quarterback gets better, ball security improves. It's almost a waste of time to harp on a rookie who turns it over. That's part of the business of playing a rookie quarterback. But if you believe in him, you take the bad because you expect the good to outweigh it. Usually that good comes in later seasons. In our case, that good was on full display in the 4th quarter of a game in which, at one point, Luck could be compared to Curtis Painter.

What stands out the most about this thread is that you're more interested in complaining about a rookie throwing interceptions than you are in the fact that the rookie can also make some pretty fantastic things happen on the field. Everyone else is saying that the good plays more than make up for the bad plays. That's the case through Week 13. I expect it to be more pronounced as Luck gets more experience.

You haven't recognized, either willfully or not, that plenty of people agree with you that Luck needs to do better with ball protection. It's obvious that he does; he has 16 interceptions this season, and they seem to come in bunches. He has eleven in four games. This game, through most of it, seemed like Luck's worst of the year. I felt like that even before the third pick, while he was on something like a 2-13 stretch. I'll be honest: it reminded me of how Curtis Painter would go from serviceable to plain awful in the middle of a game.

But no, at this point you're only interested in highlighting how YOU are being persecuted for speaking the truth, anyone who won't admit that you're right is a blind homer, and so on.

In reality, I don't want my quarterback to operate on the black and right rule of "don't throw into double- and triple-coverage." I don't want him to be so worried about not throwing a pick that he's unable to pull the trigger down the field. Good quarterbacks sometimes make risky throws, even veterans. Luck is a rookie, though. He's not always going to make the right decision, sometimes defenses are going to confuse him, sometimes his throws will just plain be off target. I'm hesitant to bring up Manning's six interception game against the Chargers in 2007 (or his 11 interceptions in three weeks in 2010), because it's not about Luck vs. Manning. But we are very familiar with Manning's history in the NFL, and we've seen him have bad games even as a veteran, not to mention 28 interceptions as a rookie.

It's about balance. As a quarterback gets better, ball security improves. It's almost a waste of time to harp on a rookie who turns it over. That's part of the business of playing a rookie quarterback. But if you believe in him, you take the bad because you expect the good to outweigh it. Usually that good comes in later seasons. In our case, that good was on full display in the 4th quarter of a game in which, at one point, Luck could be compared to Curtis Painter.

What stands out the most about this thread is that you're more interested in complaining about a rookie throwing interceptions than you are in the fact that the rookie can also make some pretty fantastic things happen on the field. Everyone else is saying that the good plays more than make up for the bad plays. That's the case through Week 13. I expect it to be more pronounced as Luck gets more experience.

I never accused anyone being a homer or anything else. My replies After the game were to Defend my position. Had fellow fans not replied to my posts it would have been a pretty peaceful evening. If you read their comments, you maybe could understand that I couldn't stand by and not respond. That's not ny style. If you disagree with me then OK. I agree with most of what you wrote.

Good might

Post of the night! I agree...We can't put all our success and failure on 12's back. This team isnt' built that way, this team was built to be more balanced and not rise and fall of the success/failures of one person..that was the design for the past 10-15 years. Its not one that insure success....I've never seen a more complete Colts team...I really hate this thread.

I never accused anyone being a homer or anything else. My replies After the game were to Defend my position. Had fellow fans not replied to my posts it would have been a pretty peaceful evening. If you read their comments, you maybe could understand that I couldn't stand by and not respond. That's not ny style. If you disagree with me then OK. I agree with most of what you wrote.

Good might

Lol aren't you the guy who called certain fans "Cult fans"?

Clever, but none the less what could that mean other than insinuating they are blind homers?

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Lets just enjoy the ride our team is on and not bicker semantics :)

Are people really getting upset with each other after a win like our Colts had today? Yes, the three INTs were very poorly thrown, but try getting smacked around constantly for the entire game and you will start to get rid of the ball faster and miss making reads like Luck did too. Luck was getting nailed on a lot of throws even though it wasn't a sack-- and that will begin to affect how a QB throws the ball.

Despite this, Luck showed us his 2nd gear again that only a few QBs have in this league. That was truly a special performance in the 4th quarter by Luck, and how people couldn't be on Cloud 9 right now after that is perplexing. Luck still has work to do and he will do it, but a big part of his improvement will be automatic once the OL is improved after this season. In the meantime, enjoy a successful season, that is almost %100 because of Luck, that no one saw coming. He is destined for greatness.

doesnt mean nothing what round pick u are lol brady was a 6 round what does that mean nothing and i never said he had a simple playbook or was a running qb but when your run games good it sets up play action which makes it easier to pass. if you wana talk about success why doesnt rg3 have a winning record if hes so good??????? thank you

Call me crazy, but I thought there were eleven guys out on the field on both sides. I guess I need my eyes checked again.

Good might

Don't worry about it. Just say your peace and move on. Our defense has played many times better than anyone would have ever guessed which is a big reason why we're 8-4 now. The team is 8-4, not Luck but he gets all of the credit. Luck probably had the worst game in his young career up until the halfway point in the 4th. Everyone says he's learning but I'm not seeing it right now. He's been throwing interceptions and bad passes especially on the road. Some happen because a defender is constantly in his or a defender is hanging on him. I get that. But with his hype I was expecting a super rookie, not just any ole rookie. Luck needs to run more. That was a part of his college game. If there is nowhere to pass then tuck it and run or throw it away. He's getting killed in the backfield by holding on to the ball to long. Run the ball and get out of bounds or slide. In the games we've been success, Luck has had a few good runs.

Lol aren't you the guy who called certain fans "Cult fans"?

Clever, but none the less what could that mean other than insinuating they are blind homers?

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Lets just enjoy the ride our team is on and not bicker semantics :)

LoL But I said ACTING like it when it comes criticizing him.

Don't worry about it. Just say your peace and move on. Our defense has played many times better than anyone would have ever guessed which is a big reason why we're 8-4 now. The team is 8-4, not Luck but he gets all of the credit. Luck probably had the worst game in his young career up until the halfway point in the 4th. Everyone says he's learning but I'm not seeing it right now. He's been throwing interceptions and bad passes especially on the road. Some happen because a defender is constantly in his or a defender is hanging on him. I get that. But with his hype I was expecting a super rookie, not just any ole rookie. Luck needs to run more. That was a part of his college game. If there is nowhere to pass then tuck it and run or throw it away. He's getting killed in the backfield by holding on to the ball to long. Run the ball and get out of bounds or slide. In the games we've been success, Luck has had a few good runs.

Agreed

So lame.

Good post .... now go slam your head against the wall.

Good might

"Had fellow fans not replied to my posts it would have been a pretty peaceful evening."

LOL... I'll nominate that for the line of the year.

Im so glad half of you are sitting at your computer desk eating hot pockets and sipping faygo, i couldn't imagine where we would be if some of these "Opinions" had any sort of effect on the decisions made in an NFL office.

Shhh...let's not tell this man that smart phones and tablets exist, or that lean pockets are the thing now.

I still maintain that this was not, ON THE WHOLE, a good performance, and he has a lot to learn from going back over the film.

That said, his work in the last few minutes was incredible and had me jumping around the room with delight. Things like that make me certain he's destined for greatness. I just wish he'd cut down on the turnovers.