Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Have you forgiven Polian/ Irsay?

StewieG

With Peyton's reaction, there was no question it was the wrong call IMO. Then there the "timeout" reaction, I thought Peyton would fire Caldwell on the spot, if he had the power to. I haven't forgiven that because it was still a stupid move but have moved on of course.

Yeah I've seen Peyton pull the "what the heck are you doing attitude" to say it politely, a few times. Most likely in reference to something Caldwell did.

Why would people be upset? Yeah, the perfect season was on the line. But let's say he doesn't pull Peyton or Wayne. Let's say Wayne gets a pass like Collie did against the Eagles & suffers a Concussion. Let's say Leonhard or Smith come on a Blitz and hit Peyton late, causing him to break his Ribs. Then what do you have?

You have an Angry fan base & the media after you throwing the same question at you... "Why didn't you sit your Starters? Was the perfect Season worth losing Wayne & Manning?"

You have to look at the "What-Ifs" in situations like these. People will turn on you based on the outcome. They'll either like you, or they'll hate you

Im 100% with you i think it was the right move to sit them and NY was trying everything to get to manning They were sending a 7 man blitz at him for a better part of the time he was out there. If manning were to be hurt in that game we would have Painter trying to lead us in the playoffs

Peyton could have gotten hurt just as easily the next week when he played in a snowstorm in Buffalo. It was a meaningless game as well. That's always been my biggest problem with it, don't claim one week that records don't matter and then turn around the next and play guys (some for nearly an entire half) in a snowstorm just for the sole purpose of achieving certain records.

Different mindsets in both games in the Jets game they game planned for and played hard and played to win while they were in there. It's clear the mindset was very different in the Bills game it was get the guys what they needed for their stats who cares about the score and get them out of there. So that's why. With that said say we had kept Peyton and the crew in the Jets game to get the stats guess what would have happened in the snow storm in Buffalo? We would have yanked the starters after one series so Peyton could keep his starts streak alive (probably three hand offs and punt and be done) and then everyone would still be upset about what they are upset about now. Either way it doesn't matter. We still lost the Super Bowl there wasn't going to be a perfect season. In strange way this is like all the people who lost their minds last year after we beat the Texans and they thought it cost us Luck. It turned out to be a much ado about nothing.

I am sorry we did not lose the Super Bowl because of what happened in the Jets game. Had the Jets game been an issue and had Caldwell lost the team over it it would have shown up in the Ravens game not after two playoff wins and a red hot start to the Super Bowl. What do you think the guys worked their tails off to get to the Super Bowl and get a lead in the Super Bowl and then just went you know what I know this is the ultimate goal and it's something I've worked my whole life for and who knows if I'll ever get another shot at this but since we can't have a perfect season I think I'll lay down and quit? I am sorry these guys are professional athletes not children.

People wanted to see Polian and Caldwell pay for it and well guess what both men have lost their jobs. What more do people want? Them to be lead threw downtown Indianapolis so people can hurl things at them and then have them publicly apologize for not going for the undefeated season and ignore the fact that we would have still lost the Super Bowl regardless of what happened in the Jets game? It's time to let this go. I am not saying people have to like the fact it happened but it's time to move on from it. Think about it Peyton Manning said the players moved on from and they backed that up with their play just to get the Super Bowl. if they can do that less than three weeks after it happened and they are the ones who were most effected by it I don't think it's asking too much that the fan base moves on from it three years later when the two people they hold the most responsible for it are no longer employed by the Colts.

Some thoughts I have......

1) I was prepared for the team to pull starters in the back of my mind. I was in denial ahead of time and in shock the way it happened though. I still think it was also incredibly unfair to throw Painter in vs. the #1 D in the league that season fighting for their playoff lives and watch him self destruct that way. Especially at home.

2) I wanted to go 16-0 but in the back of my mind I still wonder if we truly win that game in Buffalo in the snow too.

3) If we beat the Jets who got in the playoffs outside of them? The decision effected the entire playoff seedings. Jets shocked San Diego who many felt was our biggest obstacle to the SB and likely was. I am not sure we got by San Diego even at home....recent history says we wouldn't have.

4) It might not have been our year even though we thought it was. The Saints looked like the perfect team of destiny over in the NFC all season to me sadly. And we got them in the big one. Don't give me any bounty junk. That team was darn good that season.

5) Polian putting blame on the o line was inexcusable to me. He needed a scapegoat and the o line was not an issue vs. the Saints at all. I believe he released Lilja shorty after too, a mistake.

3) If we beat the Jets who got in the playoffs outside of them? The decision effected the entire playoff seedings. Jets shocked San Diego who many felt was our biggest obstacle to the SB and likely was. I am not sure we got by San Diego even at home....recent history says we wouldn't have.

It would have been the Steelers (Colts killer) or the Texans meaning had we faced them we would have had to beat division rival three times in one season. I've always thought that was in the back of Polian's mind that he knew letting the Jets beat the Colts didn't put the Jets in but it gave them hope and frankly he's smart enough to guess that there was a good chance the Bengals would probably lay down for them too and I think he would have much rather have had a shot at a rematch with the Jets in the playoffs (which is what the Colts got) than having to face the Steelers or Texans. I want to be clear I don't think he knew for a fact we would see the Jets again I just wouldn't put it past him to try to stack the deck the best he could and you know what it worked out. I was jumping for the joy when the Jets beat the Chargers. I would have been very nervous had we had to play the Chargers, Steelers, or Texans to get to the Super Bowl and frankly I think it could have very easily been a different out come even if we were 17-0 going into the AFC Title game.

5) Polian putting blame on the o line was inexcusable to me. He needed a scapegoat and the o line was not an issue vs. the Saints at all. I believe he released Lilja shorty after too, a mistake.

Never really got that one or at the very least if they were to blame why were they not addressed but it makes more sense to blame than it does the Jets loss but that's the most I got there.

No, and that is something that will never be forgiven.

Irsay has to share the blame. It's his team, and if he was clearly on board with that decision.

If in the future this team is graced with the same decision and they do the same thing, then I will be against it then too. If they change course and go for it, then I will be even more (can't come up with the perfect word) about the original decision.

Maybe I'll work up a rant at some point that explains exactly how I feel about the decision. If I do, it sure won't be published here.

For once in a long time, I fully agree with you. Well said.

There are many things we can blame Polian for, but not trying to break a 40 years record, isn't one of them.

Miami Dolphins won SB wit 19-0 balance in 1973 for the first and only time in history of the NFL. During that 40 years the pace and roughness of the game increased a lot, so I don't think there would be again a franchise ever to produce 19-0 season. Games are putting such high load on players, that they cannot bear for 19 games. No team has regular season games winning secondary, that allows them to rest their starters when playoff is secured, so 16-0 regular season gives a good chance to fail in the playoffs.

Polian can be blamed for Caldwell, can be blamed for a depleted roster, can be blamed for history high dead cap hit, but IMO cannot be blamed for not going for perfect season in 2009.

Irsay can be blamed for Polians.

Edited by HungarianColtsFan

Some thoughts I have......

1) I was prepared for the team to pull starters in the back of my mind. I was in denial ahead of time and in shock the way it happened though. I still think it was also incredibly unfair to throw Painter in vs. the #1 D in the league that season fighting for their playoff lives and watch him self destruct that way. Especially at home.

2) I wanted to go 16-0 but in the back of my mind I still wonder if we truly win that game in Buffalo in the snow too.

4) It might not have been our year even though we thought it was. The Saints looked like the perfect team of destiny over in the NFC all season to me sadly. And we got them in the big one. Don't give me any bounty junk. That team was darn good that season.

Bold. This^^^

There are many things we can blame Polian for, but not trying to break a 40 years record, isn't one of them.

Miami Dolphins won SB wit 19-0 balance in 1973 for the first and only time in history of the NFL. During that 40 years the pace and roughness of the game increased a lot, so I don't think there would be again a franchise ever to produce 19-0 season. Games are putting such high load on players, that they cannot bear for 19 games. No team has regular season games winning secondary, that allows them to rest their starters when playoff is secured, so 16-0 regular season gives a good chance to fail in the playoffs.

Polian can be blamed for Caldwell, can be blamed for a depleted roster, can be blamed for history high dead cap hit, but IMO cannot be blamed for not going for perfect season in 2009.

Irsay can be blamed for Polians.

I have a hard time blameing irsay for bill polian. That man built a team that won at a level the nfl had never seen before so I wouldn't call hiring polian a mistake. I agree polian had run his course by the end but once that became clear irsay dumped him right away.

I have a hard time blameing irsay for bill polian. That man built a team that won at a level the nfl had never seen before so I wouldn't call hiring polian a mistake. I agree polian had run his course by the end but once that became clear irsay dumped him right away.

Yes, I agree, although (and this will come as no surprise to you) i fear BP had run his course several years prior.....when we failed to beat Billy Vollek was the time to do it....

I'm not sure why the OP chose to bring this topic up now. Hopefully not to fan flames of bitterness and resentment.

I hope it is easier to forgive now that the team is completely changed.

And holding on to anger, resentment, and bitterness is not good for you

Forgiveness heals

Nearly everyone has been hurt by the actions or words of another. Perhaps your mother criticized your parenting skills, your colleague sabotaged a project or your partner had an affair. These wounds can leave you with lasting feelings of anger, bitterness or even vengeance — but if you don't practice forgiveness, you might be the one who pays most dearly. By embracing forgiveness, you can also embrace peace, hope, gratitude and joy. Consider how forgiveness can lead you down the path of physical, emotional and spiritual well-being.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/forgiveness/MH00131

Different mindsets in both games in the Jets game they game planned for and played hard and played to win while they were in there. It's clear the mindset was very different in the Bills game it was get the guys what they needed for their stats who cares about the score and get them out of there. So that's why. With that said say we had kept Peyton and the crew in the Jets game to get the stats guess what would have happened in the snow storm in Buffalo? We would have yanked the starters after one series so Peyton could keep his starts streak alive (probably three hand offs and punt and be done) and then everyone would still be upset about what they are upset about now. Either way it doesn't matter. We still lost the Super Bowl there wasn't going to be a perfect season. In strange way this is like all the people who lost their minds last year after we beat the Texans and they thought it cost us Luck. It turned out to be a much ado about nothing.

Different mindsets has nothing to do with it. They were on the field, so they all had the potential to suffer injury, correct? I would even argue the risk of injury was HIGHER in the Buffalo game due to field conditions. If the argument was they didn't want to risk injury and didn't care about records, then why were the starters playing the very next week in a snowstorm in a meaningless game trying to get certain players their records? Just because you haven't gameplanned for someone means you cant suffer injury??

Different mindsets has nothing to do with it. They were on the field, so they all had the potential to suffer injury, correct? I would even argue the risk of injury was HIGHER in the Buffalo game due to field conditions. If the argument was they didn't want to risk injury and didn't care about records, then why were the starters playing the very next week in a snowstorm in a meaningless game trying to get certain players their records? Just because you haven't gameplanned for someone means you cant suffer injury??

Correct sir. There was absolutely NO EXCUSE for this, and just made Polian and Caldwell look like a pair of clowns. But I forgive....although the fact they are gone helps. Doesn't stop it hurting though...

again I ask, mods, why is this thread still open. It's over. We lost the SB anyway, so it's a moot point. This thread accomplishes nothing but "tear off the band aid" so to speak. Those involved with this decision are all gone (except the owner but that can't be changed)....so let it go. I say lock this thread down. It was four seasons ago now...

a little perspective please. A) it's a football game. B) yes I did forgive someone for murdering his parents who were like a second family to me. C) It was not a fun game to be at, but it is long past and there will likely be many more football games to come.

Remember, when you hold something against someone the only person you are hurting is yourself, (and your loved ones who see you suffering).

Without looking over this thread..

I was never mad at Irsay in a broad sense. He was doing the right thing, as tough as it was. I just wish he would have said less when that situation played out. He said the wrong thing's several times and in retrospect I can see why he upset some fans.

I'm not mad at Polian. I think his trying to pass Chris off as a legit G.M was lazy and he deserved to get canned for it, but that's not to diminish the success that he's had. One of the best G.M's in the history of the game.