Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on today's game

lollygagger8

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe a little off topic, but does anybody know why we wore the white uniforms and not the regular home blue?

Since I am on here...it was said by others that the home team gets to choose the color they wear at home, and this being August in Indianapolis white was chosen to be a 'cooling' mechanism over the darker blue. While it was low 80s, it still makes a difference white vs dark....

Since I am on here...it was said by others that the home team gets to choose the color they wear at home, and this being August in Indianapolis white was chosen to be a 'cooling' mechanism over the darker blue. While it was low 80s, it still makes a difference white vs dark....

Since no one is mentioning it, don't fans find the material we make our jerseys out of irritating? After every play at least one player and sometimes 3 or 4 had their jerseys all bunched up from static cling as they grouped for a huddle. It looked very disheveled. I realize that this is a rough contact sport and clothing gets rearranged, but the other teams jerseys didn't look like that. I think it is the material.

1. O-line looked inconsistant, especially in pass protection. 2. Run D looked solid, but passing game had a bit of the ole cushion. 3. The whole team showed good depth, Hughes had a good game, and some other players across the board stepped up as well. 4. No injuries! Yay!
Kavell Conner-Did pretty good at timing his blitzes and putting pressure on the quarterback Jerrell Freeman-He is a heavy hitter who has sideline to sideline speed as well as can stuff the run, he also has good instincts and almost came away with an interception Just King had a good day tackling I thought but needs to develop the instincts to make a few more plays on the ball I thought Nevis was able to get pressure today and make a couple tackles, I think he needs to improve on moves to get free from the O line such as swim move, bull rush and spin move as well as continue to gain strength Luck showed his ability to make very good throws,escape the rush when needed and D.J. Johnson showed well in tackling while he was out there as well and Jerry Hughes did VERY well getting pressure and even a couple sacks

I must give QB Andrew Luck props for looking off the Rams safety during the Austin Collie TD in the corner of the endzone. I just love superb secondary manipulation with a field general's eyes. I was also very pleased to see CB Chris Rutker pick off an inception in the 4th quarter to end the Rams near scoring drive and secure a Colts victory. OLB Jerry Hughes looked like he knew what he was doing for once, but I need to see him against a stellar defense first like the Ravens, Jets, or Steelers first. The Rams defense was just awful. No real legitimate competition there right now anyway.

I really like WR Levon Brazil who snatches the ball out of the air quite well. Backup QB Drew Stanton almost made me forget about how horrible Curtis Painter was last year and he has a nice touch on the ball too. Plus, the best part, Stanton doesn't lock in on a receiver way too early either. In addition, I liked the emphasis Pagano placed on the ground game all 4 quarters. RB's Carter, Ballard, Evans, & Brown all had decent carries IMO.

Our o-line pass protection needs some work though. Luck is primarily a pocket passer. We need to give him a clean pocket like Tom Brady had in 2007. Again, our o-line must take half a season or more to gel. Overall, I give the Colts a B in Preseason Game 1 because our competition was subpar. The Rams secondary was not great, 2 bad QB throws cost their squad touchdowns, and penalties due to a lack of concentration were drive killers for their squad.

I wanna see what LUCK does with an overload blitz where our o-line cannot pick everyone up...A decent first showing. Let's see some exotic blitzes and full pass rush rotation first. Thank you.

Since no one is mentioning it, don't fans find the material we make our jerseys out of irritating? After every play at least one player and sometimes 3 or 4 had their jerseys all bunched up from static cling as they grouped for a huddle. It looked very disheveled. I realize that this is a rough contact sport and clothing gets rearranged, but the other teams jerseys didn't look like that. I think it is the material.

I found it hard at times to see numbers too as they folded under pads....I see what you are saying Warhorse. I guess it is still better than the Earl Campbell tear aways where nobody could tackle him :)

I didnt think that the announcers did that good on either side the NFL Network or our very own broadcasting team of announcing substitutions plus they needed a Mike Mayock type guy in my opinion to explain parts of the game thats not evident to the average fan such as scheme used and interesting things like that, But the NFL Network combination of Marshall Faulk and I forget the other guys name was awful completely one sided on Marshall Faulks part, I know Faulk played for the Rams but every time he referred to them he kept saying "We".

I must give QB Andrew Luck props for looking off the Rams safety during the Austin Collie TD in the corner of the endzone. I just love superb secondary manipulation with a field general's eyes. I was also very pleased to see CB Chris Rutker pick off an inception in the 4th quarter to end the Rams near scoring drive and secure a Colts victory. OLB Jerry Hughes looked like he knew what he was doing for once, but I need to see him against a stellar defense first like the Ravens, Jets, or Steelers first. The Rams defense was just awful. No real legitimate competition there right now anyway.

You do realize Jerry Hughes plays defense, don't you? He won't go up against other defenses, but the offenses of our opponents.

I really like WR Levon Brazil who snatches the ball out of the air quite well. Backup QB Drew Stanton almost made me forget about how horrible Curtis Painter was last year and he has a nice touch on the ball too. Plus, the best part, Stanton doesn't lock in on a receiver way too early either. In addition, I liked the emphasis Pagano placed on the ground game all 4 quarters. RB's Carter, Ballard, Evans, & Brown all had decent carries IMO.

Our o-line pass protection needs some work though. Luck is primarily a pocket passer. We need to give him a clean pocket like Tom Brady had in 2007. Again, our o-line must take half a season or more to gel. Overall, I give the Colts a B in Preseason Game 1 because our competition was subpar. The Rams secondary was not great, 2 bad QB throws cost their squad touchdowns, and penalties due to a lack of concentration were drive killers for their squad.

Really?? I could see your point if this was a close game, or we played badly. Colts & Rams were both 2-14 last year, so, they are technically both subpar (based on last year's records). I don't expect people to get overly excited or down based on 1 game, but this game was an A+ for the Colts. New coach, new system, new QB, and dominated another team. What more could you ask for in game 1 of preseason?

I wanna see what LUCK does with an overload blitz where our o-line cannot pick everyone up...A decent first showing. Let's see some exotic blitzes and full pass rush rotation first. Thank you.

"Really?? I could see your point if this was a close game, or we played badly. Colts & Rams were both 2-14 last year, so, they are technically both subpar (based on last year's records). I don't expect people to get overly excited or down based on 1 game, but this game was an A+ for the Colts. New coach, new system, new QB, and dominated another team. What more could you ask for in game 1 of preseason?"

Indyman411,

I will acknowledge that LUCK had a nice debut. When I evaluate a field general's performance, off the field matters like a new coaching staff or playbook are secondary issues to me because I am evaluating Luck's performance between the white lines and how the squad responds to adversity on the field. This is one preseason game with straight forward progressions and minimal attempts by a Rams defensive squad to impose their will and intimidate. I wanted the Rams to score at least twice to see how the Colts would react and respond. Yes, I am a harsh grader. I will admit, but my expectations of a #1 NFL draft pick are higher too. So, I remain firm in my B as an overall grade.

A word to the wise, I never evaluate any team's performance on last year's play. Records based on last season are ancient history to me. Luck hasn't seen any real legitimate competition yet IMO.

My shallow thought for the day:

We're going to need new warmup shirts since now we won't be #32 in the power rankings.

More seriously, Luck was impressive, the coaches seemed to have had everyone ready to play, and I liked seeing us be able to convert short yardage on the ground,

Still ranked 32 lol that's crazy

Still ranked 32 lol that's crazy

It is a bit strange. We crushed the Rams and are still ranked 32nd while they actually moved up from 29th to 28th based on their performance. (I'm guessing they moved up because both Bradford and Jackson looked 100% physically and neither were injured.)

That being said, it makes me very glad to be an NFL football fan where all that counts is actual wins and losses once the real games start as opposed to college where these types of rankings actually matter,

It is a bit strange. We crushed the Rams and are still ranked 32nd while they actually moved up from 29th to 28th based on their performance. (I'm guessing they moved up because both Bradford and Jackson looked 100% physically and neither were injured.)Yup

That being said, it makes me very glad to be an NFL football fan where all that counts is actual wins and losses once the real games start as opposed to college where these types of rankings actually matter,