Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on today's game

It's just the end of the 3rd quarter. I realize that's it's still preseason but here are some of my thoughts on today's game already:

Luck: I'm still kind of in awe how good his command over the offense really is. He was throwing excellent passes all day. That one series where we had 3 balls in a row dropped that were right in the receivers hands weren't his fault. He looked great. Plus his first NFL pass a TD? Hmmm.

Ballard: Wow. I like this guy........A LOT. Even caught one out of the backfield for a nice gain. He really has some wheels.

Fleener: Is he scared to get hit? Why does he keep dropping balls?

McGlynn: Why is he in a Colts or even a NFL jersey? He got pushed backwards and thrown around. Olsen stepped in and made him look even worse than when he was out there.

Stanton: Looks like a stellar QB. I am more than pleased with this pickup. And a QB Draw.....WHOA!!! WooohoooO! :)

Hughes: I know it's probably Rams 2nd and 3rd string guys, but he looked great today. Hope he can play at that level all the time.

Nevis and McKinney are beasts!

Thos are just randoms off the top of my head. Thoughts??

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defense wasn't much to write home about against the Rams starters. With that said it looked like the base defense so it's hard to get an honest read on it. They did do more blitzing than you are used to seeing from the Colts.

O-line was a concern against the Rams starters on D. That will take some time to come together though. Also I don't think anyone is shocked in saying the o-line was a concern.

The weapons looked pretty good today especially since Wayne didn't get a ball thrown his way and the starting offense still scored three TDs.

Luck blew everyone's minds. I think while we were hoping for a good start I don't think many expected a start like he had. Just to give some perspective Manning's first pre-season game ended with 1 TD, 1 INT, 1 Fumble on 8-15 for 113 yards and a loss to the Seahawks.

Jerry Hughes was also impressive. Two sacks and a couple of hurrys. Could be the change in direction with the defense was just what he needed.

Short yardage running was also impressive. Carter had a nice pick up on a 3rd and 2 and also picked up a TD on the goal-line.

Also worth mentioning Stanton and Harnish both looked impressive as well. I'd say better than Painter or Collins looked last year and on par with Orlovsky.

I also liked Pagano's attitude when asked at half-time what he would tell his young guys who are going to play in the second half "Finish". I know it's the pre-season but I am loving everything Pagano is selling I think he's trying to get it established that winning is important no matter the situation which is very good with a young team.

Per Phil B some injuries today for the Colts, Angerer, Lutrus, McGlynn, and Carter. We'll have to wait and see about them.

Great game no question but just one pre-season game against the one team in the NFL who had the same record as the Colts did a year ago. I look forward to seeing what they can do against the Steelers and hey it's just nice to be excited about a Colts game again after last season!

Defense wasn't much to write home about against the Rams starters. With that said it looked like the base defense so it's hard to get an honest read on it. They did do more blitzing than you are used to seeing from the Colts.

Wow, are you serious? I thought the defense was pretty darn good, being a brand new system and a bunch of new guys. Could they be better? Of course, but a few weeks into a brand new scheme, well, I think you're being a bit harsh. However, I do think McKinney needs to be starting at NT, but I've said that all along. AJ, is just not very good.

Wow, are you serious? I thought the defense was pretty darn good, being a brand new system and a bunch of new guys. Could they be better? Of course, but a few weeks into a brand new scheme, well, I think you're being a bit harsh. However, I do think McKinney needs to be starting at NT, but I've said that all along. AJ, is just not very good.

I thought they did better against the Rams back ups than they did against the starters. Don't get me wrong they didn't do bad. Still saw a lot of playing the corners off which again was a product of the base defense I am guessing and on the opening drive in particular Bradford was picking that apart. What do you think Rodgers or Brady would do against that for example? Still work to do is mostly what I am saying.

Work in progress I saw somethings I liked out of the defense as well I just don't think they are going to be "great" yet. With that said I do think they will can and will be better than last year.

The only way they could have done better is by giving up 0 points......

AJ played well there was one play he cut down the RB in the backfield crawling down low while being blocked. I was impressed again we were 2-14 last year its a new scheme a new regime lets give them some time to gel. I think it was a great team effort today and i'm looking forward to see how this year team develops. We just can't get to high or too low about what we see.

it was definitely a great start and something to build on. Luck is made of stone; you can't spook him or scare him. he's intelligent and poised. you're going to see a lot more of that as he gets more and more comfortable. TD drives on 75 percent of your possessions is going to win you a whole lot of games.

I thought they did better against the Rams back ups than they did against the starters. Don't get me wrong they didn't do bad. Still saw a lot of playing the corners off which again was a product of the base defense I am guessing and on the opening drive in particular Bradford was picking that apart. What do you think Rodgers or Brady would do against that for example? Still work to do is mostly what I am saying.

Work in progress I saw somethings I liked out of the defense as well I just don't think they are going to be "great" yet. With that said I do think they will can and will be better than last year.

Im under no illisions that the defense will be great, but this early on, I was very pleasantly surprised. They still need upgrades at several positions and probably won't get them till next yr., but overall im very happy with their performance.

I know everyone is going to say "don't get carried away," and that's a valid point. It's only preseason. But conversely, we could have lost 38-3. Instead, we beat them 38-3. Our offense could have looked bad, but it looked pretty good with all three quarterbacks. Our defense could have been run out of the gym, but instead we made several nice stops. So I'm not saying that the this game is an indication of how good we'll be, but there are definitely some positives to take away from it.

Im under no illisions that the defense will be great, but this early on, I was very pleasantly surprised. They still need upgrades at several positions and probably won't get them till next yr., but overall im very happy with their performance.

Yeah like I said I wasn't unhappy with it. I just saw some warning signs like it sounds like you saw as well when you said they still need upgrades in several positions. Again I saw several things I liked as well namely the play of Hughes and Conner (the forgotten man at LB in our defense). I liked the blitzing we did. Frankly I really liked the LB play as a whole. I think it's going to be the strength of our defense.

Somethings do concern me namely the secondary which again isn't shocking and the DT spot although I think AJ did okay today. The DE spots were okay but they were also missing a major starter in Redding. They did have trouble bringing down the second back who came in. I know one play in particular they hit him about five yards shorts for the first down and he still got the first. Steven Jackson did run fairly well as well to start the game. With that said the more AJ gets used to DT and getting Redding back might very well help that.

Some good things for sure but again like I was trying to say I think there are areas to be some what concerned about in the defense and just because they held the lowly Rams to 3 points I am not ready to get to super high about them. With that said it's clearly not a bad thing they held the Rams to 3 points. Like someone else said in this thread just not getting too high or too low after one outing. I don't know if I saw something spectacular out of the D today which is why I said not much to write home about that doesn't mean they did bad. it just means they did about what I expected them to do as a whole. They look better than last year which I expected but I still think they will be a middle of the pack D as a whole.

it was definitely a great start and something to build on. Luck is made of stone; you can't spook him or scare him. he's intelligent and poised. you're going to see a lot more of that as he gets more and more comfortable. TD drives on 75 percent of your possessions is going to win you a whole lot of games.

TD drives on 75% of possessions in the NFL are few and far between. You are looking at 10-12 possessions a game, so that would be looking at 7-9 td drives a game? Like I said few and far between. San Jose State isn't on the schedule.

Overall the game was good. was very excited to see brown on that screen actually pulling away from the defenders. glad to see our defense being aggressive. i think once we get rolling we will find ourselves getting a lot of pressure on the Qbs. our run D was extremely improved. Glad to see T.Y and Brazill making plays and glad to see Collie looking good out there. Luck i can't say i was shocked.. but i have been watching him play the last 3 years, so i am used to his throwing capability. i just was in awe he was really in a Colts jersey. he is THAT good. our O line... hopefully we come out better next week vs Pittsburgh if our O line figures it out i think 9 wins is capable. We have the talent. Last year just showed a lot of what we relied on was on 18. we got exposed for that. now we are balanced we have a ton of weapons. i am excited.

That pass from Luck to Hilton was just a thing of beauty. Zipped it right in there between Jenkins and Hilton. Ballard looks good too. Not much yardage, but he looks agile and quick. And he did his best when plays were broken down. Hughes got some nice sacks against 2nd teamers.

I really liked the Luck pass to the guy on the goal-line the one that didn't result in a TD but put us on the goal-line that looked like a great throw.

I also liked the throw he didn't make on the second drive of the game when he was scrambling on third and long a lot of rookie QBs will try to make something happen there and end up throwing an INT. He showed real poise to not force it and get what he could on the run and take the punt. I remember Peyton Manning saying once one of the hardest things he had to learn was that punting wasn't always a bad thing.

I was extremely impressed with how the offense played. I wouldn't have expected such good chemistry this early on.

We still have some work to do on the defensive side of the ball, but so far I like the new 3-4 hybrid look.

I really liked the Luck pass to the guy on the goal-line the one that didn't result in a TD but put us on the goal-line that looked like a great throw.

I also liked the throw he didn't make on the second drive of the game when he was scrambling on third and long a lot of rookie QBs will try to make something happen there and end up throwing an INT. He showed real poise to not force it and get what he could on the run and take the punt. I remember Peyton Manning saying once one of the hardest things he had to learn was that punting wasn't always a bad thing.

That was by far his best throw.

It's just the end of the 3rd quarter. I realize that's it's still preseason but here are some of my thoughts on today's game already:

Luck: I'm still kind of in awe how good his command over the offense really is. He was throwing excellent passes all day. That one series where we had 3 balls in a row dropped that were right in the receivers hands weren't his fault. He looked great. Plus his first NFL pass a TD? Hmmm.

Ballard: Wow. I like this guy........A LOT. Even caught one out of the backfield for a nice gain. He really has some wheels.

Fleener: Is he scared to get hit? Why does he keep dropping balls?

McGlynn: Why is he in a Colts or even a NFL jersey? He got pushed backwards and thrown around. Olsen stepped in and made him look even worse than when he was out there.

Stanton: Looks like a stellar QB. I am more than pleased with this pickup. And a QB Draw.....WHOA!!! WooohoooO! :)

Hughes: I know it's probably Rams 2nd and 3rd string guys, but he looked great today. Hope he can play at that level all the time.

Nevis and McKinney are beasts!

Thos are just randoms off the top of my head. Thoughts??

Only 1st game but Fleener was not impressive

TD drives on 75% of possessions in the NFL are few and far between. You are looking at 10-12 possessions a game, so that would be looking at 7-9 td drives a game? Like I said few and far between. San Jose State isn't on the schedule.

well, i don't believe i said it was going to happen; i merely said if it did, you'd win a lot of games. nice try, i guess.

Edited by NWGirl227

1. O-line looked inconsistant, especially in pass protection.

2. Run D looked solid, but passing game had a bit of the ole cushion.

3. The whole team showed good depth, Hughes had a good game, and some other players across the board stepped up as well.

4. No injuries! Yay!

luck was great as many expected but what impressed me the most was the o-line. the o-line was giving luck great time to throw the ball and created running lanes for the rb's. mcckiney was also impressive he was pushing back the rams o-line with consistency unlike johnson. hughes played great and should get more playing time because he fits well in our new 2-4-5 hybrid defense that we were running most of the game.

4. No injuries! Yay!

I think you spoke too soon. Angerer was in a walking boot. Will have an MRI tomorrow.

Someone else mentioned 3 other injuries, though not sure how serious they are.... Check Indystar.com and you may get some answers....

Happy to see some of our draft picks do well. Hilton,Brazil,Ballard looked good Fleener from what i saw did not do much where was the other rookie TE ALLEN

Allen played well if you watched the screen play for DB you see him level the defender springing DB the announcer had it wrong please go back and watch the highlight or the game again. I liked how our TE's looked to day all are young and versatile.

Kavell Conner-Did pretty good at timing his blitzes and putting pressure on the quarterback

Jerrell Freeman-He is a heavy hitter who has sideline to sideline speed as well as can stuff the run, he also has good instincts and almost came away with an interception

Just King had a good day tackling I thought but needs to develop the instincts to make a few more plays on the ball

I thought Nevis was able to get pressure today and make a couple tackles, I think he needs to improve on moves to get free from the O line such as swim move, bull rush and spin move as well as continue to gain strength

Luck showed his ability to make very good throws,escape the rush when needed and

D.J. Johnson showed well in tackling while he was out there as well

and Jerry Hughes did VERY well getting pressure and even a couple sacks