Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Curtis Painter pre-season

ConBro

Curtis was the 3rd-string QB I believe last night against the Falcons. I know he was playing against some noobish defenders, but he tossed 3 TDs last night. I was really happy for him; I really sympathized with him after finding out he really didn't get many reps in Colts practices. I wish him the best and hope he makes their final roster :)

Hades must have frozen over...Painter tossed three TDs in one game? Hahaha! All seriousness though, I think the guy makes the roster. His favorite coach Caldwell is there, so I think he's going to be pretty safe in that department.

I wish him the best too. I also thank him for giving us Andrew Luck. :)

Like I said in a thread before where Matt Cassel said Brady never let him have reps, Painter might the kind of backup QB that needs way more reps than a usual backup QB. Most backup QBs do not get much, that is just how it goes in the NFL. It is even lesser in the case of elite QBs.

Maybe he needed a change of scenery and a change of jersery number too :). The true question will be, when the lights are shining bright, and the pressure is on, will he be able to do what he did yesterday against a No.1 offense as a backup QB. Odds are slim though he may relatively do better as a backup QB than he did as a Colt. He has always had the physical tools and was a training camp king when it came to completing passes even as a Colt. On the actual game day vs the No.1 D of the other team, things turned out more different.

Painter did however get stuck on a team with declining talent, and was asked to run an offense a HOF QB was running, that has to be his biggest defense, IMO, last year. Polian and Caldwell did him no favors by making him start out on the wrong foot in the infamous resting-starters-vs-Jets-to-kill-the-14-0 mojo game. :) Once the Polian-Caldwell regime was done, it was almost a must that Painter had to get re-started somewhere else. He was never going to be good in the eyes of the Colts fans due to reasons stated above, and some of it was absolutely no fault of his.

for all the hate curtis gets on this board, we forget he looked pretty darn good early on last season

There was a fleeting moment during that Pittsburgh game last year, right after Collins went out, that I actually thought Painter was going to emerge, and then........emoticon_turd.gif

I wish him the best too. I also thank him for giving us Andrew Luck. :)

Like I said in a thread before where Matt Cassel said Brady never let him have reps, Painter might the kind of backup QB that needs way more reps than a usual backup QB. Most backup QBs do not get much, that is just how it goes in the NFL. It is even lesser in the case of elite QBs.

Maybe he needed a change of scenery and a change of jersery number too :). The true question will be, when the lights are shining bright, and the pressure is on, will he be able to do what he did yesterday against a No.1 offense as a backup QB. Odds are slim though he may relatively do better as a backup QB than he did as a Colt. He has always had the physical tools and was a training camp king when it came to completing passes even as a Colt. On the actual game day vs the No.1 D of the other team, things turned out more different.

Painter did however get stuck on a team with declining talent, and was asked to run an offense a HOF QB was running, that has to be his biggest defense, IMO, last year. Polian and Caldwell did him no favors by making him start out on the wrong foot in the infamous resting-starters-vs-Jets-to-kill-the-14-0 mojo game. :) Once the Polian-Caldwell regime was done, it was almost a must that Painter had to get re-started somewhere else. He was never going to be good in the eyes of the Colts fans due to reasons stated above, and some of it was absolutely no fault of his.

I often wonder if, put in the same situation, Pagano would go for it all.

Thought #1: I was happy to see Painter so well even if it was only a preseason game. He showed a pretty good arm at 1 point as well.

Thought #2: Even though it was preseason, maaaaaaaaaaaybe this is how Painter can look without the Polian's manipulating the roster and other game related things.

Thought #3: Perhaps Baltimore's ultimate plan is to get the Colts back, one player or coach at a time. :)

When i watched that Ravens pre-season game I thought my eyes were deceiving me :spit: . Then I realized it was the 3rd stringers. Nevertheless he didnt look that good in a Colts uniform :clap:

Well even Curtis Painter was bound to learn something after starting the back of last season not too shocking he's beating up on 3rd stringers of other teams. Like you said it's important to keep in mind who he was on the field against.