Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rant about Vick Ballard and the Running Backs

Andy

More of a rant than an article**

I've been saying this for months now, and I've decided to write a whole thing about it: Vick Ballard has looked the best in camp and will be the starter by midseason.

There are a lot of new faces at the Colts' training camp in Anderson, Indiana, and one of those new faces is 5th round pick running back Vick Ballard. Ballard was projected as a fullback or a Jonathan Stewart like running back. Well, he'll be playing running back with the Colts since the Colts don't utilize a fullback anymore. Anyways... after watching Ballard for a few days and reading some reports on him, it's clear that he's been the best of the group throughout training camp. He's one of the hardest working guys on the field, whether it's the offense, defense or Coach Pagano screaming at Drew Stanton, and on top of that, he's a Coke Machine with legs. It's tough to bring this guy down. I remember on one particular play where it took a few players including Tom Zbikowski to take him down.

He's 220 pounds and runs hard every time. That's what we want to see. He also looked one of the fastest of the bunch, which surprised the heck out of me, because he didn't look blazing in college and his 40 time wasn't great.

So, I've mentioned that he's had a great training camp, the best of any running back, but why should he be the starter? Why should he start over proven players like Donald Brown, or even Mewelde Moore. This is why.

Hard work can lead you a long way. The season will start and Donald Brown will be slated as the starter, but he looked sloppy in training camp, and if it weren't for the 80 yard run against the TItans last year, his yards per carry average would have dropped by .7 yards. He just hasn't impressed anyone, and I just don't think that that could translate well onto the field. If you can't beat the Colts defense in training camp, how can you beat the Bears (who they play on Week 1), or the Packers (who they play on Week 4). In the past, Joseph Addai has looked great in training camp, which is why he always started, along with the fact that he was more proven than the others. He beat the Colts D, but he had some trouble in the later years against other Ds.

My point, if you can't beat the Colts' D in practice, you won't beat anyone in real games, which is why I think that Donald Brown has to show us a lot in the preseason, or at the start of the regular season or he'll be on the bench. I just don't think he'll do that.

Now, Delone Carter is slated at number 2. This is a much more winnable battle for Ballard. I like to think Ballard is a better Carter. He's bigger, stronger, and by the looks of it, seems to be faster. Again, sounds crazy, but those are my observations based on training camp. Although Carter hasn't fumbled, and has looked great inside the 10 yard line. The reason is is that Carter is somewhat unproven. He didn't play that much last year, and when he did he would fumble. Also, there would be a lot of runs where there would be an open hole that he would fail to realize is open and run through the wrong hole. He's not the sharpest tool in the shed. This battle is going to come down to the preseason games, and if given the same amount of snaps, he should do better. Ballard is running with more of a fire under his butt because he could be cut.

Yes, Vick Ballard, our 5th round pick could be cut.

Just because you're a draft pick doesn't mean you'll make the team. You could say that's the case for the first 3 round picks, but after that, you're on the chopping block, don't kid yourself. There have been numerous late round picks that have been cut. Numerous is the right word, try thousands. If you're a Colts fan, then you'll know that Terrence Taylor, the 2009 4th round pick was cut before the season started and the same with 7th round pick Ray Fisher. You're not off the hook when you're a draft pick, especially a late one. Because of this, Ballard will probably have more intensity during the games.

The guys with more to prove with run harder and try harder, that's just a fact. I've seen it so many times. Think about it, what do the guys who are guarranteed a spot have to worry about, nothing. They just have to get ready for the season. Ballard has shined in the minicamps, has shined in the training camp, and if he shines in the preseason, he could definitely win the backup spot.

The Colts are also expecting to utilize a smash and dash kind of running game, or in easier terms, a power running game. Donald Brown will most likely be getting 18 or so runs a game, with the backup, whether it be Carter or Ballard getting 7-10 runs. That's just what's expected. If Ballard gets the backup spot, he'll get 7-10 runs a game to show off his skills. I predict Brown will falter during the season, which means that Ballard could definitely get the starting spot.

Also, last year, we saw, when Brown was kind of slowing down, Delone Carter get a lot of snaps. From weeks 5 through 8 (4 weeks), Carter got 12 more carries than Brown. Then Delone Carter started the Falcons game and the his fumbling problems continued, and Brown was later given the feature back role with Carter spending time on the bench. If Carter had better hands, we would have seen a more even workload.

I believe Vick Ballard could be this year's Carter, but with more energy and with better hands.

Ballard also has the ability to handle that workload. As stated before, Brown is expected to take 18 or so snaps a game. Ballard average 16 in college. A few more won't kill him, and he would probably be eased into the role rather than tossed in there.

If you get the chance, watch #33 more closely throughout the preseason.

This running back spot is more wide open than many people think, and because of Ballard's hard work and great training camp, he could take over the starting spot by midseason.

I'd like to say that this was more of a rant than a well structured article, so I hope you were able to follow along.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

darn that is too much too read for me Andy...

But I also think VB will be Indy's back.... However, One must pay their dues... Unless dude is DESTROYING the competition... gotta stand in line.

Brown was probably the best O player for Indy last season so lets see it play out.

But I really do love me some Vick B...

I remember that Mike Mayock saying something along the lines of "they possibly just got their starting rb in the 5th round". I think you are on the money. I was very excited about Carter when he was drafted. If he fixes his fumbling problems we could maybe have a good 3 back committee. They could be a lot like the NYGs had a few years back.

I remember that Mike Mayock saying something along the lines of "they possibly just got their starting rb in the 5th round". I think you are on the money. I was very excited about Carter when he was drafted. If he fixes his fumbling problems we could maybe have a good 3 back committee. They could be a lot like the NYGs had a few years back.

Right On... I think Indy has 3 "very good backs"...

but in the long run... I heard Dan D say Arians compared Ballard to ........................................................................................................................................

Edge.

Golly would that be nice... but lets wait and see.

darn that is too much too read for me Andy...

But I also think VB will be Indy's back.... However, One must pay their dues... Unless dude is DESTROYING the competition... gotta stand in line.

Brown was probably the best O player for Indy last season so lets see it play out.

But I really do love me some Vick B...

You mean running the ball right? Offensively speaking I'm sorry but Reggie was the only positive we had on Offense last year (if the qb could get him the ball)

Those depth charts on Colts.com are far from being finalized...

Andy, I liked your rant. We'll know soon enough who emerges out of that group. To me, it seems we have several types of backs and the question is who's the best in each category. I put Ballard and Carter in the same group, Evans too. If I was the GM I'd only carry one of those three.

We'll only use three backs, at most, in a game. If we carry 4, then he better be a ST stud. Who is the best ST player between Ballard, Carter, and Evans?

Getting carries in games yea. Starter by midseason I doubt it

Ballard has looked outstanding in camp. If he goes out in preseason and has some great games, doesn't cough up the ball, and picks up blitzes well I could easily see him taking over for DB. Nothing against DB, but Ballard could be the back that carries this team for the next few years.

Getting carries in games yea. Starter by midseason I doubt it

You need to realize, this isn't the same coaching staff that we've had for the past 15 years. It's hardly close to the same thing at all.

After a 2-14 season, everything comes into question. EVERYTHING. Pagano doesn't seem (to me) to be the type who just hands starting jobs to veterans because they've been here longer. You don't win that way. If Vick is the best, he'll play. Seeing what our backs have done over the years, it doesn't seem to be a huge challenge to overtake our veteran RBs.

Andy, I liked your rant. We'll know soon enough who emerges out of that group. To me, it seems we have several types of backs and the question is who's the best in each category. I put Ballard and Carter in the same group, Evans too. If I was the GM I'd only carry one of those three.

We'll only use three backs, at most, in a game. If we carry 4, then he better be a ST stud. Who is the best ST player between Ballard, Carter, and Evans?

If there is a back on our team that is a ST stud then it is Karim. He proved that in Jacksonville. So if we carry 4 and it goes DB, Ballard, and Moore for the first three I would say Karim will be the fourth just for his ST ability.

Doing well in camp and doing well in the regular season are slightly different! Anyway, isn't it all to do with the blocking? That's what everyone told me for years when I flamed Addai.....

I know you didn't mean it this way, but you're right. The best blocker is going to be valued highest. It's all about 1. protecting the franchise, so know your assignments, and 2. catch the ball. Both things Addai was great at.

Moore probably fits that description better than DB, although Brown improved last year.

Ballard isn't even 2nd String according to that Depth Chart Topic we had the other Day. So are we sure he's Destroying the Comp. in TC? I know the Depth Chart could change, but I think that 1st one was pretty much saying who's been Impressive up to this Date and that's who they feel should start come Sunday

Ballard isn't even 2nd String according to that Depth Chart Topic we had the other Day. So are we sure he's Destroying the Comp. in TC? I know the Depth Chart could change, but I think that 1st one was pretty much saying who's been Impressive up to this Date and that's who they feel should start come Sunday

He is destroying in camp. I was at camp and there are repots everywhere online saying he's doing well. I can pull them up if you want.

He is destroying in camp. I was at camp and there are repots everywhere online saying he's doing well. I can pull them up if you want.

I'm not saying it's not True. Im saying that if he is.... then he has to step it up a bit more to be #2 or #1 RB. Cause I think Moore is #2 for Sundays game

Camp just rolls on, and yet still there is little word about Donald Brown...

Yeah, that's a great sign.

I put it in my mini-camp report in June... Ballard stood out then, too. More so than just about anyone else. Let's see what the pre-season brings, but there could be something there...

I will go on the record saying I've never been crazy about the Moore signing. I get it, but I don't think it was exactly necessary. I think he's already got an inside track to stay around because of his familiarity with Arians' system, which means we've got 4 backs that should be kept with Brown, Carter, and Ballard, and I don't see any way we carry 4 all season. I'm not impressed with Brown, but I still think it's just a season too early to cut him loose. This is "do or die" time for him.

Either way, I see us parting ways with a RB that we could prolly benefit from keeping around.

It's just my 2 cents but I think DB will have a break out year.

When Luck was @ Stanford w. Harbaugh, he said he loved the pound annd ground offense with short WR/TE Slant, RB flick (Toby G) & I would be very surprised if Pagano and Arians doesn't have similiar approach for at least 2-3 years until the O-line reconstruction is complete.

It would just be silly to have Luck sit in the pocket this year. & DB provides what MJD does for the Jags in terms of versatility.

Camp just rolls on, and yet still there is little word about Donald Brown...

Yeah, that's a great sign.

I put it in my mini-camp report in June... Ballard stood out then, too. More so than just about anyone else. Let's see what the pre-season brings, but there could be something there...

I will go on the record saying I've never been crazy about the Moore signing. I get it, but I don't think it was exactly necessary. I think he's already got an inside track to stay around because of his familiarity with Arians' system, which means we've got 4 backs that should be kept with Brown, Carter, and Ballard, and I don't see any way we carry 4 all season. I'm not impressed with Brown, but I still think it's just a season too early to cut him loose. This is "do or die" time for him.

Either way, I see us parting ways with a RB that we could prolly benefit from keeping around.

It's gonna be Darren Evans. That's who I think it is.

And I agree, that Moore signing was just for Arians. I hope Grigson or someone picks up on that. How is the NEW Guy the #2 Back for Sunday? It should be Carter. Something is a little Fishy in Indy

If Ballard is half of what the Edge was, then he'll be twice as good as Brown.

That seems like a story problem from my Jr. High Math days.

And I agree, that Moore signing was just for Arians. I hope Grigson or someone picks up on that. How is the NEW Guy the #2 Back for Sunday? It should be Carter. Something is a little Fishy in Indy

There is exactly nothing fishy about this.

1) I am pretty sure Grigson knows the reason why they picked up Moore.

2) The new guy may get some time ahead of others to see what he can do.

Methinks you are looking for something that is just not there.

Evans is already cut, he's just a warm camp body until he HAS to go when the rosters shrink. Brown, Moore, Carter, and Ballard are the only RB's with a chance at the 53.

Uh, what?

What indication is there that Ballard might get cut?

Like I said above, we've got 4 RB's with a chance at the 53. Brown, Moore, Carter, and Ballard. I don't see how we actively carry 4 all season, so one of those guys is gone. Brown is exempt. We're not cutting him. Smart money says we don't cut Moore, either, because he has previous experience in this offense, and with the OC. Now we're down to two. Carter, and Ballard, and quite frankly, neither guy should be cut, but it's a very real possibility that one will.

I have a feeling that Brown's the one that will get cut if he doesn't produce in the preseason. I think that since hes been here the longest out of the backs there giving him an honest shot at the starting job. But as the new coaching staff has proven, they have no problem cutting underperforming players. I really think that Brown is more likely to get cut than Ballard. I get the impression that Arians wants Moore to be the starter anyway. IMO Moore, Carter, and Ballard make the cut, and maybe keeping Karim for special teams. I'm also one thats hoping Ballard becomes the starter mid-season so I hope he doesn't get cut!

I like VB and would love to see him get his shot. Donald Brown just is not the RB that fits what the coachs are saying they want. Donald Brown just does not break enough tackles and goes down easy.