Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Luck Struggles Early..?

vinatierifan4

If Luck struggles early in the season, kind of like Blaine Gabbert did last year, when do you think it'd be time to panic, if at all this year?

There is no 'Plan B'

Luck is the Colts quarterback for the next few years

Jay Cutler is in his..what 7th year...???

..and he's still trying to get good....

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL. Animal House reference....LOVE IT!!!

Animal House is the Gift that keeps on Giving! Sports Fans will be using it forever!

And, and I should have really added something to the original post....

Bonus Points to anyone who recognizes the very young actor in his first ever roll. He went on to become reasonably famous.

Who is he? Cue the Jeopardy Music.....

First Luck will have a much better season then PM did his rookie year due to the fact he does(Luck) have more pieces around him I understand that most are rookies or high end draft picks but let talk O-line. Ok gavin yes the o-line might not be as good as some of us would like but can you really set back and talk as if they will be worst this year then last year, I mean did you really watch any games from last year cause if you did you would know that out of 14 games, 14 cause we won two, we had a chance to win 8 out of the 14. That was with bad QBs under center and a very bad O-line

Browns L 19-27

Steelers L 20-23

Buccaneers L 17-24

Chiefs L 24-28

Bangals L 17-27

Panthers L 19-27

Patriots L 24-31

Jaguars L 13-19

Justice,McGlynn and Satele may not be the best at their positions but there is no doubt they are a huge upgrade then what we had last year regardless of their past.

I am not concerned over Satele whatsoever

I don't think he'll Struggle too Badly because he has MORE than what he had at Stanford. At Stanford, he had 3 TE's(Fleener, Reitz, & Toiyolo). 1 WR (Montgomery), & 2 RB's(Taylor & Stewart). With the Colts, he has 3 WR's (Wayne the HOF, Collie the Come Up, & Avery the Speedster), 2 TE's (Fleener the Buddy & Allen the BEST TE in the 2011 Season), 3 RB's (Brown the UnProven, Carter the Big Man in the Stadium, & maybe Ballard the Rookie who's looking to make an Impact)

Now, this is a MAJOR Upgrade for Luck. The only area I see him really Struggling in (Sarcasm Alert) is the fact that he has to Adjust to actually HAVING WR he can go to

Animal House is the Gift that keeps on Giving! Sports Fans will be using it forever!

And, and I should have really added something to the original post....

Bonus Points to anyone who recognizes the very young actor in his first ever roll. He went on to become reasonably famous.

Who is he? Cue the Jeopardy Music.....

Kevin Bacon. What did I win besides your pride, respect, and admiration NewColtsFan? haha:thmup:

I don't think he'll Struggle too Badly because he has MORE than what he had at Stanford. At Stanford, he had 3 TE's(Fleener, Reitz, & Toiyolo). 1 WR (Montgomery), & 2 RB's(Taylor & Stewart). With the Colts, he has 3 WR's (Wayne the HOF, Collie the Come Up, & Avery the Speedster), 2 TE's (Fleener the Buddy & Allen the BEST TE in the 2011 Season), 3 RB's (Brown the UnProven, Carter the Big Man in the Stadium, & maybe Ballard the Rookie who's looking to make an Impact)

Now, this is a MAJOR Upgrade for Luck. The only area I see him really Struggling in (Sarcasm Alert) is the fact that he has to Adjust to actually HAVING WR he can go to

WIth that said, he will be facing 11 guys on a weekly basis that are far better as a group and in most cases individually than he could even begin to imagine facing at Stanford. At Stanford he never faced a Julius Peppers, or a Lance Briggs, or a Brian Urlacher, and week 1 he gets to face and account for all 3 at once. A similar statement could be made about most if not every team on the schedule.

A couple of weeks of semi-live work vs. Mathis & Freeney isn't exactly and advance degree in NFL defenses.

If it were TTO or 7 on 7 you might have a point, but the other team will be actually trying to apply pressure, intercept passes and shut down this unprecedented Colts offense you seem to see in place. Good luck with that.

So you're better than you were without 2 staretrs based on a yeaf when every other QB in the division went down.

Are we overconfident down in Texas?

Better? Really???

Just because they swept the Colts last year?

(Oh, no, that's right!)

Umm...our quarterback went down too, remember? DeMeco is a great player but he hasn't been the same since his Achilles injury. Mario didn't play the majority of last season either, and Barwin, Mercilus, and Reed will more than make up for his production. Success breeds confidence.

Posted · Hidden by Superman, August 7, 2012 - personal shot
Hidden by Superman, August 7, 2012 - personal shot

So you're better than you were without 2 staretrs based on a yeaf when every other QB in the division went down.

Better? Really???

(Oh, no, that's right!)

Man it must suck being this naive.

I think anybody that don't expect Luck to struggle is completely naive and not very football savvy. In fact, if he don't struggle, he may just be a robot that is incapable of emotions. Im more worried about the fans that are naive that begin jumping ship because they think this team and Luck will just pick up where Manning left off a couple yrs. ago.

Luck.....Struggle? We are thinking about the same guy right?

NO WAY he struggles.

This is THE Andrew Luck everyone ranted and raved for.

So in other words...Houston sucks and Luck is the next best thing since sliced bread? Interesting.

Edited by Superman
moderation

He also had a dramatically better offensive line at Stanford. Without the big men up front, guys like Fleener, Wayne, and Collie won't get many touches.

We have a very mixed bag of good and bad defenses out of the gate. Week 1 is going to make me sweat, then we turn around and play the shaky vikings, then the formidable Jags D in Week 3. So with the nice variation we should be able to seer by Week 6 how well Luck's progress is. There's a fine line between a rookie expectation and his expectation so I have to give it more thought as to what it would take for me to be worried or disappointed.

So in other words...Houston sucks and Luck is the next best thing since sliced bread? Interesting.

I've never said Luck is that. He has to do something in a game before I get down on my knees, unlike some.

Houston does have a big mouth though for finally winning a division title, one of the worst in the NFL, after a decade. AFCS isn't the division that holds the best record anymore. They dropped off.

I've never said Luck is that. He has to do something in a game before I get down on my knees, unlike some.

Houston does have a big mouth though for finally winning a division title, one of the worst in the NFL, after a decade. AFCS isn't the division that holds the best record anymore. They dropped off.

There are fans on both sides who are a little off base due to the respective changes on each team. I think with the competing Titans this year, the South will be pretty interesting to watch and, next year, with the Jags and possibly Colts in the mix, it will be even better.

Better? Really???

(Oh, no, that's right!)

It's pretty obvious we're better. And uh, I don't even know how you think every starting QB in the AFCS 'went down' last year. Half of them did. One of them was ours.

It's pretty obvious we're better. And uh, I don't even know how you think every starting QB in the AFCS 'went down' last year. Half of them did. One of them was ours.

I'm pretty sure Matt Hasselbeck got hurt last season and missed some time. That's three out of four, plus the Jags started Luke McCown in Week 1 and then handed it off to Gabbert. The QB situation in the AFC South was a mess last season.

And I think the Texans should be better than they were last season, but it's interesting how Texans fans feel like they have a stranglehold on the division. Your team won 9 games last year. Definitely the preseason favorite, and that's well deserved, but you lost some good players on both sides of the ball. This time last year, Gary Kubiak was on the hot seat. I think the Texans have some question marks, and a disappointing season isn't out of the question.

I'm pretty sure Matt Hasselbeck got hurt last season and missed some time. That's three out of four, plus the Jags started Luke McCown in Week 1 and then handed it off to Gabbert. The QB situation in the AFC South was a mess last season.

And I think the Texans should be better than they were last season, but it's interesting how Texans fans feel like they have a stranglehold on the division. Your team won 9 games last year. Definitely the preseason favorite, and that's well deserved, but you lost some good players on both sides of the ball. This time last year, Gary Kubiak was on the hot seat. I think the Texans have some question marks, and a disappointing season isn't out of the question.

...Hasselbeck played in all 16 games last year. And Gabbert beat out McCown. Is that your definition of 'going down'?

And we won 10 games after losing two QBs, unless some people forgot.

...Hasselbeck played in all 16 games last year. And Gabbert beat out McCown. Is that your definition of 'going down'?

And we won 10 games after losing two QBs, unless some people forgot.

You're right about Hasselbeck, but he did get hurt. Threw seven passes against the Saints. I thought he actually missed a couple weeks. Either way...

Gabbert didn't exactly beat out McCown, McCown just outsucked Gabbert. Same difference, I suppose. Doesn't change the point that the quarterback situation in the division was pitiable (or pitiful, depending on your perspective).

The Texans did lose quarterbacks, and still won a good amount of games. Ten, not nine. My bad. With a rookie quarterback, picked in the 5th round. So it's not impossible for a rookie quarterback to be successful right out the gate...

Like I said, I'm not trying to downplay how good the Texans are. But the team has question marks, no? You replaced the right side of the offensive line. The defense going into its second year is relying on young players. I'm not anti-Texans, and the whole "big brother dismissing the little brother even though the little brother is suddenly bigger and stronger and can hold his own" thing is played out by Colts fans, but it's funny that Texans fans come here and scoff at any notion that the division isn't going to be hand-delivered to you on Opening Day.

It's the way you worded it.

The Texans better hope they learn soon not to bank on Schaub. He is on the wrong side of 30, and still is sub .500.

This is another good point. Not only does Schaub have a little trouble staying on the field (having missed at least five games in three of his five seasons in Houston), but he hasn't necessarily been a difference maker for the team since he's been there. Yeah, they were probably on their way to a 12 win season last year, and Schaub is a better quarterback than Yates, but that doesn't mean that just because Schaub is better than Yates that the team is going to be good again.

If Luck was to struggle early, I believe that this team will be alright and there shouldn't be need for panic right away. Manning struggled his first year, dispite throwing over 25 touchdowns. We need to remember that we aren't holding Luck (at least now) to the lofty expectations of that of Manning. It will ultimately be difficult to replace Manning who has spoiled all of us over the past 13 seasons, but we need to belive in Luck.

I will miss Manning just like the rest of us will, but Luck has shown plenty of promise during his years in Stanford and will definelty be a tremendous upgrade at this position compared to Curtis Painter and Kerry Collins. We could be looking forward to that instead.

Following the release of Manning, I grew even more confident in the team when Reggie Wayne stayed instead of opting to become a free agent (when he could of very easily left), and Robert Mathis decided to stay put. I believe that the Colts will once again regain their winning ways with Andrew Luck at the helm. Luck is very similar to Manning as far as reading defenses and being highly intelligent.

You're right about Hasselbeck, but he did get hurt. Threw seven passes against the Saints. I thought he actually missed a couple weeks. Either way...

Gabbert didn't exactly beat out McCown, McCown just outsucked Gabbert. Same difference, I suppose. Doesn't change the point that the quarterback situation in the division was pitiable (or pitiful, depending on your perspective).

The Texans did lose quarterbacks, and still won a good amount of games. Ten, not nine. My bad. With a rookie quarterback, picked in the 5th round. So it's not impossible for a rookie quarterback to be successful right out the gate...

Like I said, I'm not trying to downplay how good the Texans are. But the team has question marks, no? You replaced the right side of the offensive line. The defense going into its second year is relying on young players. I'm not anti-Texans, and the whole "big brother dismissing the little brother even though the little brother is suddenly bigger and stronger and can hold his own" thing is played out by Colts fans, but it's funny that Texans fans come here and scoff at any notion that the division isn't going to be hand-delivered to you on Opening Day.

I said the Texans were better than the Colts. Nothing more. You can still be better and lose.

It's the way you worded it.

The Texans better hope they learn soon not to bank on Schaub. He is on the wrong side of 30, and still is sub .500.

Whatever, I think it's the way you read it. And we'll find out about Schaub this year.

He finally had a decent defense behind him and went 7-3. And check what team was top 5 in passing back in '07-'09...

87....you seem to be on a mission. You tried to kick the big dog. I agreed about the D of the Texans.....what is your point for the day sir/maam?

In this thread? I didn't kick anything. I just responded to others talking about the Texans.

Whatever, I think it's the way you read it. And we'll find out about Schaub this year.

He finally had a decent defense behind him and went 7-3. And check what team was top 5 in passing back in '07-'09...

Schaub had booboos in '07 and '08. I'll give you '09.

WIth that said, he will be facing 11 guys on a weekly basis that are far better as a group and in most cases individually than he could even begin to imagine facing at Stanford. At Stanford he never faced a Julius Peppers, or a Lance Briggs, or a Brian Urlacher, and week 1 he gets to face and account for all 3 at once. A similar statement could be made about most if not every team on the schedule.

A couple of weeks of semi-live work vs. Mathis & Freeney isn't exactly and advance degree in NFL defenses.

If it were TTO or 7 on 7 you might have a point, but the other team will be actually trying to apply pressure, intercept passes and shut down this unprecedented Colts offense you seem to see in place. Good luck with that.

Nicely said, FJC....

Plus, at Stanford, he also had one of the better OL's in all of College Football, which certainly helped...

And...

He also had a fleet of quality college running backs so we had a very, very effective running game to take pressure off, which certainly helped....

And....

He also had an above average college defense which helped get the ball back in hands and the other team didn't have many points on the scoreboard most of the time.... and that certainly helped....

What he'll experience this year is a whole new set of circumstances.... and their will be speed bumps on the road to better days... plenty of speed bumps....

Hey, just sayin....

So with all this talk about Schaub I think the Texans IN GENERAL have issues staying healthy and on the field. God, that team or this division as a whole at times seems to be made of glass.

I feel like Houston always has important players recovering from injuries lately. But, gotta give them some credit, not too many can win a playoff game and keep it close nearly to the AFC title game in Baltimore with their third string rookie QB in there. However, yes that was last year of course and we all know things can change year to year in this league. Look at GB, after they won the SB a few years ago they were coming back with potentially this crazy balanced team. Instead we see the D go from a top 10 unit to dead last and the offense carries them.

If the Texans suffer from a let down with high expectations or injuries this year the AFC South could get very verrrrrry interesting.

I don't like the early part of the Titans schedule either. NE, at SD, Detroit, at Houston. Ouch. That is a tough start if they get in an early hole they have to climb out of and IMO they probably will get in a hole. Then they go to the Vikings. Then for their 6th game they get Pittsburgh LOL. Then at the Bills which are no pushover either I feel.

FJC - I often see you post stuff like this, the "bringing people back down to earth" style posts (this isn't an insult) and just wondered - how well do you think Luck will do in his rookie season and how good a career do you think he'll have? Posts like yours can often be misconstrued as negative and I was just wondering what your actual, fuller viewpoint is on Andrew outside of "he's done nothing in the NFL".

So with all this talk about Schaub I think the Texans IN GENERAL have issues staying healthy and on the field. God, that team or this division as a whole at times seems to be made of glass.

I feel like Houston always has important players recovering from injuries lately. But, gotta give them some credit, not too many can win a playoff game and keep it close nearly to the AFC title game in Baltimore with their third string rookie QB in there. However, yes that was last year of course and we all know things can change year to year in this league. Look at GB, after they won the SB a few years ago they were coming back with potentially this crazy balanced team. Instead we see the D go from a top 10 unit to dead last and the offense carries them.

If the Texans suffer from a let down with high expectations or injuries this year the AFC South could get very verrrrrry interesting.

I don't like the early part of the Titans schedule either. NE, at SD, Detroit, at Houston. Ouch. That is a tough start if they get in an early hole they have to climb out of and IMO they probably will get in a hole. Then they go to the Vikings. Then for their 6th game they get Pittsburgh LOL. Then at the Bills which are no pushover either I feel.

See, if people were smart like this and made intelligent posts about the Texans all the time, I wouldn't get so carazy.