Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When asked who is the fastest, between Hilton and Avery....

NewColtsFan

..... Reggie Wayne gave a very interesting answer.

#15, LaVon Brazill..!! That's who Reggie thinks might be the fastest!!

We have brought in some serious speed, folks... and that will serve us well.... :thmup:

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/THE-RACE/b3d5fd69-d7ca-4045-92ea-e7a173467991

EDIT ADD: Sorry, meant to have the link for the story here! Dopey me!!

Just for discussion's sake, Brazill has been clocked at running his 40 in a time of 4.47, Hilton has been clocked at 4.30, and Avery has been clocked at 4.32 (this was prior to his knee injury).

Straight line 40s very rarely happen in a game. I'd love to see them race though.

I remember camp smack talk from a few years back where they said Lacey and Taj were the fastest guys on the team. Reggie may be our slowest WR, but he's still the best.

Straight line 40s very rarely happen in a game. I'd love to see them race though.

I remember camp smack talk from a few years back where they said Lacey and Taj were the fastest guys on the team. Reggie may be our slowest WR, but he's still the best.

Slow & Steady Wins the Race. We all know the Story of the Turtle & the Hare lol

with all the speed at athleticism we have on Offense I dont think we were going to be a power running game but with that said I think we will be a team that can run when necessary, well hopefully

Well, it still comes down to the line. Which we really don't know anything about yet. If they can't give Luck time to throw it won't matter how fast or athletic our receivers are. Same for the run game.

I'm really anxious to see if they can develop by the start of the season.

All I know is that this is the fastest Colts team that I can remember in a long time. And at first the T.Y. move had me shaking my head but I really like the kid. He is field fast has a real heart of a lion and good hands. Add to that if he can hold up he will be the best KR in a long time. It would be nice to see the O start anywhere past the 20 for a change. This should also help to open up the running game keeping the safeties back so they can not support the run on 1st and 2nd downs. Add in the TE's in the short to mid routes and it could become very hard for any D to know the how to handle them. The O line will be the main issue so I hope that comes together. If nothing else its much bigger so we will have to see. This is going to be a fun year (if maybe also painful) to watch.

so forget the 'power running game"

You're very determined recently to try to dispel the talk of a "power running game" aren't you? Last time I checked, receivers having good 40 times didn't ruin the running game...

For me, the term "power running game' means this....

Most of the runs will be between the tackles... anything outside the tackles will be like a change-up in baseball...

Also, our style of RB's will be guys who are likely to run you over and really hit you than they are to try and juke you and make you miss... the type to try and wear down the opponent by the 4th quarter...

I see no reason why this group, and the style we plan to play should be dismissed now as.... not going to happen.

I appreciate Donald Brown may not be that type of runner... but Carter and Ballard sure are... and Brown can likely do it in flashes.... give it a chance before it's dismissed out of hand....

Just a suggestion...

The T.Y. selection never had me shaking my head it was where we got him that had me shaking my head, I hope he continues to do well and get better and better, he has looked good to this point

Sounds like you didn't like taking him at the bottom of the 3rd round?

I think I saw him on several top 100 lists and he was drafted 92nd overall. Too high for you? You were hoping to get him lower perhaps?

Just asking....

I think when people think of the power running game they think of running it time and time again, and thats entirely not true what we will be doing, we didnt draft Luck and the two best Tight Ends in the draft just to run the ball, we are going to try to run it when we want it somes more then others in games, we are going to do what the game dictates thats what I think, Also the run is an excellent means to setup Playaction, something we are going to need with our speedy but mostly undersized wide receivers also that should help force opposing teams Linebackers up to play the run leaving our Tight Ends wide open over the middle with nothing to stop them except Safeties and an ocassional Linebacker that can chase them down. Running it down a teams throat (when needed) is a great thing to be able to do just ask Peyton Manning those early days when we had Edge, I want our new version of the triple threat and if we get the blocking up front I believe Donald is more then capable if he has the right coaching

Sounds like you didn't like taking him at the bottom of the 3rd round?

I think I saw him on several top 100 lists and he was drafted 92nd overall. Too high for you? You were hoping to get him lower perhaps?

Just asking....

I was hoping T.Y. 5th round and getting Ta'amu in the 4th and after Jenkins was picked by the Rams in the 2nd I was thinking Brandon Boykin in the 3rd, Just one of the scenarios I was thinking, I mean dont get me wrong I like Chapman and I even got his autograph its just unfortunately the guy isn't healthy and I been concerned with the weight he carries around if that ankle will ever regain full strength and that he will be 100 percent again taking into account the position he will eventually be playing of course alot of strain on the legs and being able to hold your ground

Fast doesn't mean much if you can't run routes...we've got Trindon Holliday, probably the fastest guy in the NFL, but can barely make the team as a #4 receiver.

Or any number of the Bears wide receivers the last 10 or so years maybe a little less, most have or had speed but cant catch

Fast doesn't mean much if you can't run routes...we've got Trindon Holliday, probably the fastest guy in the NFL, but can barely make the team as a #4 receiver.

Just wanted to let everyone know I dropped the 246 in my name. Yes, very dramatic.

Now, my question: Is he the guy that's 5'3 or 5'4

I was hoping T.Y. 5th round and getting Ta'amu in the 4th and after Jenkins was picked by the Rams in the 2nd I was thinking Brandon Boykin in the 3rd, Just one of the scenarios I was thinking, I mean dont get me wrong I like Chapman and I even got his autograph its just unfortunately the guy isn't healthy and I been concerned with the weight he carries around if that ankle will ever regain full strength and that he will be 100 percent again taking into account the position he will eventually be playing of course alot of strain on the legs and being able to hold your ground

Ankle? Josh's surgery was on a knee. Is there something new I don't know about?

I think Reggie was telling us they are all burners,and its not important whos the faster.

Yeah, he was being cool, with the compliments.

We all know speed is nice but hardly matters if you can't play. Or else Hester and DHB would be all pro WRs.

Isn't it funny Reggie calling them smurfs? He's about an inch taller than they are!

holliday wasn't a very good reciever in college...these guys were

For me, the term "power running game' means this....

Most of the runs will be between the tackles... anything outside the tackles will be like a change-up in baseball...

Also, our style of RB's will be guys who are likely to run you over and really hit you than they are to try and juke you and make you miss... the type to try and wear down the opponent by the 4th quarter...

I see no reason why this group, and the style we plan to play should be dismissed now as.... not going to happen.

I appreciate Donald Brown may not be that type of runner... but Carter and Ballard sure are... and Brown can likely do it in flashes.... give it a chance before it's dismissed out of hand....

Just a suggestion...

I think when people think of the power running game they think of running it time and time again, and thats entirely not true what we will be doing, we didnt draft Luck and the two best Tight Ends in the draft just to run the ball, we are going to try to run it when we want it somes more then others in games, we are going to do what the game dictates thats what I think, Also the run is an excellent means to setup Playaction, something we are going to need with our speedy but mostly undersized wide receivers also that should help force opposing teams Linebackers up to play the run leaving our Tight Ends wide open over the middle with nothing to stop them except Safeties and an ocassional Linebacker that can chase them down. Running it down a teams throat (when needed) is a great thing to be able to do just ask Peyton Manning those early days when we had Edge, I want our new version of the triple threat and if we get the blocking up front I believe Donald is more then capable if he has the right coaching

I think we will definately run the ball more this year (like we did early in Peyton's career) then in the past few years. First off our OL while I don't think talentless is pretty patch work to be fair and almost exclusively all of them have been higher graded run blockers than pass protectors so we obviously value that or we wouldn't have signed them. I don't think any team with a rookie qb wants to drop back and throw 40 times a game...much less even 30 if they don't have to. That just gives so many more opportunties to make a mistake. Luck had 10 ints last year in college (almost 1 a game) in a weakish conference. Add more games to the season and the much higher degree of difficulty and 16-20 ints wouldn't be out of the question. Running the ball and having a ball control offense keeps Luck out of trouble, on his feet, and the defense rested....something we desperately needed more of last year.

As to power running....there is varying degrees of power running...like Seattle because of their back...Denver because they only threw it 5-10 times a game....and then you have San Francisco....the team I think we would like to emmulate this year. Physical running between the tackles, ball control offense, safe throws, target the TE and short throws, keep your qb out of trouble. That is more what I think we will try to be. Does it mean we will run an offense just like that...no but I think that and the Pittsburgh Steelers of 3 or 4 years ago is. AL is a great qb prospect...and we did give him some weapons...but that doesn't mean that changes Arians philosophy of how to play. No doubt he will open it up and pass it if that is what we do best or if the line can't block, or our backs go down....but I think we will stay true to his offense and I don't expect to see Luck gunslinging it.

Jeff Demps, who everybody knew was THE fastest guy in college football finished 7th in the olympic 100 meter trials. I saw the race and he wasn't even close to the elite runners. (note, he has just been added as a replacement for the relays). Demps could come into the NFL and be the fastest guy in the league. That should give some insight as to how really fast these Olympic guys are. My point is that there is a group of guys every year in the NFL who if they all raced 10 times, there would probably be 4 to 5 guys who would each win a race, but none of them are Olympic gold medal fast.

I think we will definately run the ball more this year (like we did early in Peyton's career) then in the past few years. First off our OL while I don't think talentless is pretty patch work to be fair and almost exclusively all of them have been higher graded run blockers than pass protectors so we obviously value that or we wouldn't have signed them. I don't think any team with a rookie qb wants to drop back and throw 40 times a game...much less even 30 if they don't have to. That just gives so many more opportunties to make a mistake. Luck had 10 ints last year in college (almost 1 a game) in a weakish conference. Add more games to the season and the much higher degree of difficulty and 16-20 ints wouldn't be out of the question. Running the ball and having a ball control offense keeps Luck out of trouble, on his feet, and the defense rested....something we desperately needed more of last year.

As to power running....there is varying degrees of power running...like Seattle because of their back...Denver because they only threw it 5-10 times a game....and then you have San Francisco....the team I think we would like to emmulate this year. Physical running between the tackles, ball control offense, safe throws, target the TE and short throws, keep your qb out of trouble. That is more what I think we will try to be. Does it mean we will run an offense just like that...no but I think that and the Pittsburgh Steelers of 3 or 4 years ago is. AL is a great qb prospect...and we did give him some weapons...but that doesn't mean that changes Arians philosophy of how to play. No doubt he will open it up and pass it if that is what we do best or if the line can't block, or our backs go down....but I think we will stay true to his offense and I don't expect to see Luck gunslinging it.

Good post....

And good news..... I would guess of Luck's 10 picks last year, nearly half were throws that were good and very catchable, and went off the hands of the receiver. In short, not Luck's fault. But, he will throw picks this year... my hope is for less than 16.

And, forgive the thread drift, there are plenty of people out West who would take exception over "weakish conference' Let's say the Pac-12 fans feel quite confident that their schools stack up to anyone -- except the SEC -- and I do realize that my post is being read by people who live in Big-10 country.

As to the rest of the post.... yes, I agree with how you see our offense unfolding... I don't expect us to pass 40 times a game. I hope we never have to. But I wouldn't be surprised to see most games in the 30-35 time range. Since most games have roughly 65 offensive plays, I'm expecting roughly 35 passes, and roughly 30 rushes. That will change a bit week to week, but that's my rough guess....

Good post....

And good news..... I would guess of Luck's 10 picks last year, nearly half were throws that were good and very catchable, and went off the hands of the receiver. In short, not Luck's fault. But, he will throw picks this year... my hope is for less than 16.

And, forgive the thread drift, there are plenty of people out West who would take exception over "weakish conference' Let's say the Pac-12 fans feel quite confident that their schools stack up to anyone -- except the SEC -- and I do realize that my post is being read by people who live in Big-10 country.

As to the rest of the post.... yes, I agree with how you see our offense unfolding... I don't expect us to pass 40 times a game. I hope we never have to. But I wouldn't be surprised to see most games in the 30-35 time range. Since most games have roughly 65 offensive plays, I'm expecting roughly 35 passes, and roughly 30 rushes. That will change a bit week to week, but that's my rough guess....

I'd say at the top...the Pac 10 or whatever is pretty decent with USC, Oregon, Stanford. Past that...pretty darn weak. SEC is by far the best top to bottom and the Big 10 usually has real good depth all the way through. I thought last year was a down year for many conferences outside the SEC.

As for his picks...I watched them...I wouldn't say half weren't his fault...probably a couple. If you put the ball high and it goes off their hands or too far I put that on the qb. Bad luck but still his fault. Thing is you don't count the ones he threw that should've been int but dropped....I just count them all regardless. Sure he will have a few not his fault this year and a few he will get away with...but I don't think 15 or 16 ints is out of the question for a rookie qb. He has things he needs to get better at..and he will have his growing pains and I understand that...and fully expect to see him falter a time or two. He just has to grow....and I think he is more than capable of being a great qb if he puts it together. I don't think he throws an especially good deep ball as say RG3 or some other guys but I fully expect him to get better and better...make mistakes but overall learn his windows...his capabilities and improve on them. I think some people expect him to come right in and be a pro-bowl caliber qb and I just don't see it. He has mechanical things that aren't perfect and room to improve...which is a great thing...and I think he will do it.

I agree we will try to be balanced pretty even run and pass....I think too many people expect Andrew to throw it around the yard...and TBH...he just isn't that type of QB. At least not yet. If he is asked to do that he is going to make plenty of mistakes. He isn't at his best throwing 40 times...and in a shoot out....he is best when he is able to mix the run and the pass and use his brain to get the ball to the openings...not exactly making plays with his arm going downfield. I'm sure somebody will be upset I don't think he is the best qb I've ever seen but I just don't feel that way. I also don't think his passing is what makes him special. Its more a combination of everything intellectually and his skills. I just don't see him being a PM that throws 40 times a game and we win. To me he is more Joe Montana then Dan Marino. Both top qb...but no doubt Marino is perhaps the greatest passing qb of all time. Nothing wrong with Montana since he won all those super bowls but put him on Miami Dolphins during those careers...I don't think he even gets to the playoffs. Montana won games throwing sure...and with his feet somewhat too. But in a shoot out I take Dan anyday.

I just don't think we want to put Luck in that shoot out, gun slinging mentality. I just don't think he has those type of skills (just yet).

Just for discussion's sake, Brazill has been clocked at running his 40 in a time of 4.47, Hilton has been clocked at 4.30, and Avery has been clocked at 4.32 (this was prior to his knee injury).

Which can change radically when the pads go on. I would love for the combine to include 40 times in pads. What in the Pete does 40 times tell us when the guys are dressed nothing at all like they will be in a game? That has always baffled me.

Why do people worry about this stuff? He's either going to do it or he isn't. The guy played most of the season through that injury, and apparently did pretty well. The way I look at it, is with the repair and time off, it should be healthier than it was when he was playing with the injury. If it doesn't work out that way, we won't know for 2 or 3 years. Without the leg injury, Chapman was a potential 2nd round (or possible 1st) pick. We got him at 5. Why not just hope for the best instead of whining that you're not sure his leg can handle the strain. Is it your leg? Do you know how it feels after a game? Why are you worried about it?

As for T.Y. I am happy the team decided to add some speed to our offense. We flat out sucked last year. Now, instead of a 55million dollar Garcon, we have a sub 5 million dollar Hilton AND Brazil (heck, even Avery) for the next 3-4 years. Each have speed and promise. It gives the team a chance to balance out and add more talent to our defense, which they already did with Redding, Zbikowski, McKinney, etc. Some teams will have him rated higher than others. If he makes a splash, I'd suffice that to say they made the right selection grabbing him where they did. No sense risking losing on a potential game changer because some other guys board says he's a 5th round pick. Ever consider that the other guy's board is wrong?