Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts rookie WR T.Y. Hilton garnering early praise

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/19689767/colts-rookie-wr-ty-hilton-garnering-early-praise

"It goes without saying the majority of talking points coming from the Indianapolis Colts' training camp revolves around rookie quarterback Andrew Luck. But another rookie seems to be making an early impression: wide receiver T.Y. Hilton.

Hilton, the speedy third-round pick out of Florida International, is getting some praise on Twitter after being on the receiving end of a Luck touchdown pass Monday in camp. Those in attendance have described Hilton as "streaking" down the sideline for the score, which is no surprise since Hilton was brought in to be a burner.

A four-year player at FIU, Hilton set numerous school and conference records and finished his career ranked fifth all time in total all-purpose yards. As a senior, he had 72 catches for more than 1,000 yards. He was clocked running a 4.3 40 prior to the draft, according to NFLDraftScout.com. At the very least Hilton can serve as an effective kick returner and situational receiver.

As it stands now, he will likely be battling for the third wide receiver spot against Donnie Avery and Jeremy Ross. They will be chasing veterans Reggie Wayne and Austin Collie.

Though a longshot to supplant either of them, Hilton can be a weapon in special teams and in situations where the Colts need to stretch the field. It never hurts to have a dynamic athlete at your disposal -- especially with a young, developing offense."

Glad to finally hear about him.

A longshot to supplant Jeremy Ross? Someone please explain this to me........

I think someone looked at the Colts roster, didn't recognize any of the receivers, and just picked one. Jeremy Ross is unlikely to make the final roster, much less be an option for the #3 spot.

JMO

I like Jeremy Ross for some reason. Has the tools to be good. But has Garcon-like hands.. maybe worse.. So i've heard..

I'm going to let this one go this time...lol

I think he means for any of them to supplant Wayne or Collie. Just my two cents. Lol

Agreed. I think he will be battling Avery for playing time. Collie and Wayne will likely be in on every play except in jumbo packages or for rest/injury.

A longshot to supplant Jeremy Ross? Someone please explain this to me........

I think the writer is referring to the sentence about Wayne and Collie. It would be a longshot to supplant either of those two. I don't think it would be a longshot supplant Ross.

I think you're right, but even mentioning Ross in the chase for the #3 WR is odd.

I agree it feels odd, but Ross looked good out there IMO, and I'd heard good things out of mini-camp too. I don't think he'll get a starting spot, but I don't think he's a long shot for a roster spot. On an unrelated note, does anyone know where Griff Whalen is? I definitely didn't see him today and don't remember seeing him yesterday. He injured? Cut? Other?

I agree it feels odd, but Ross looked good out there IMO, and I'd heard good things out of mini-camp too. I don't think he'll get a starting spot, but I don't think he's a long shot for a roster spot. On an unrelated note, does anyone know where Griff Whalen is? I definitely didn't see him today and don't remember seeing him yesterday. He injured? Cut? Other?

Whalen is wearing a boot. There was a story about it on Colts Authority. Doesn't seem too serious, but he really can't afford to miss any reps. He's a long shot at best.

Whalen is wearing a boot. There was a story about it on Colts Authority. Doesn't seem too serious, but he really can't afford to miss any reps. He's a long shot at best.

Yeah I don't really see Whalen making the team either.

Yeah I don't really see Whalen making the team either.

Maybe the PS. We have a lot of water bugs out there and who knows how much punishment they can take. A guy like Whalen could step right in off the PS, considering his familiarity with Luck.

I see Wayne and Collie clearly our starting wrs. Avery our #3 and Hilton getting looks in certain packages and plays. After that I think Brazill is probably the #5 and the preseason will determine if its Ross or Sambrono the 6th and final wr.

I see no way Griff makes the roster. Practice squad likely since no other team will have interest in him or whoever else misses the final cut.

I am hoping all the great early returns on Luck and the WRs says more about them than it does about the defense.

With that said I am glad to hear this. I hope Hilton and or Brazil can develop into the deep threat that our offense is missing at WR right now.

I said it before the draft, and after but in my mock draft I had us taking this kid in the four round and we did in the third, Im so glad he is a colt. I stumbled across his highlight tape before the draft and was very impressed. The only knock on this kid is his size and if he can stay healthy throughout the season, but if he can I fully expect Hiton to be battling it out with Avery for the #3 slot position. I have our full WR core for the 53 man roster as Reggie,Collie,Hilton,Avery,Brazill and Sambrano I see Whalen being placed on the practice squad. That is the best and most talented group of WRs Luck has had at any level of football, can't wait for season to start!!!

I actually think he has the chancd to start over collie he reminds me alot of desean jackson.. I think collie is much better suited for the slot... the colts need a constant seep threat at the #2wr spot not another possesion receiver... Collie was on the verge of being one of the best slot receivers the colts had before his injuries.

http://www.cbssports...ng-early-praise

"It goes without saying the majority of talking points coming from the Indianapolis Colts' training camp revolves around rookie quarterback Andrew Luck. But another rookie seems to be making an early impression: wide receiver T.Y. Hilton.

Hilton, the speedy third-round pick out of Florida International, is getting some praise on Twitter after being on the receiving end of a Luck touchdown pass Monday in camp. Those in attendance have described Hilton as "streaking" down the sideline for the score, which is no surprise since Hilton was brought in to be a burner.

A four-year player at FIU, Hilton set numerous school and conference records and finished his career ranked fifth all time in total all-purpose yards. As a senior, he had 72 catches for more than 1,000 yards. He was clocked running a 4.3 40 prior to the draft, according to NFLDraftScout.com. At the very least Hilton can serve as an effective kick returner and situational receiver.

As it stands now, he will likely be battling for the third wide receiver spot against Donnie Avery and Jeremy Ross. They will be chasing veterans Reggie Wayne and Austin Collie.

Though a longshot to supplant either of them, Hilton can be a weapon in special teams and in situations where the Colts need to stretch the field. It never hurts to have a dynamic athlete at your disposal -- especially with a young, developing offense."

Glad to finally hear about him.

I think Pagano is giving everybody the old OkeDoke about how we're going to establish the running game..

Please. the personell we have suggests pass and the talent we have screams pass...

WR-TE is a strength and our QB seems capable

We're looking at more of a downfield passing attack than we had with Peyton and we're not likely to be throwing any less .

Wouldnt make sense

White was HORRIBLE on special teams. He may have been as bad as Lefeged, if not worse.

And that is saying something.

Horrible? Not exactly.

The kid held onto the ball, ran north without losing the balls. In ST, he wasn't special, but he generally made good decisions and held onto the ball.

IMO, his talents as a WR rivaled Collie. He was not as quick as Collie, but he was sure handed, and seemed like a smart player. I certainly can't knock the guy. He's not a world beater, but he was a reliable option as #4 or #5. Much better things can be said about White over Baskett or Moorehead, IMO.

I liked Blair White for what he was. He showed nice hands on a few occasions. Nothing special, of course. But I get the comparison between him and Griff Whalen. White is actually bigger than Whalen, but they are both sort of deliberate route runners with good hands. And they are both long shots to do anything in the NFL.