Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you believe in the "Super Bowl loser curse"?

Jules

No matter how good a SB loser looks going into a season it seems often weird things can happen to them. A weird playoff loss that is unexpected or has bizarre circumstances can result too.

Of course the last 3; Cardinals, Colts, Steelers all made the playoffs.

This years Patriots will be a big one to test this "curse" out.

Jules,

I like your question. I wouldn't label the losing team as cursed per say merely complacent. Getting to the "Big Dance" means that every unit on that squad [o-line, d-line, & special teams] gelled & created turnovers & improved field position. Usually the following season, the losing squad in question falls into the trap that since your squad was so close last year to Championship Greatness things should fall in place to at least play in the Championship again.

Every guy on both lines & special teams must stay driven & hungry & take nothing for granted. Also, everyone on the team must adopt this singular focus: We don't care which player gets credit for victory just string enough victories together & you go to New Orleans. A few missed blocking assignments in the playoffs attributed to laziness & a lack of film study can make a team's Championship hopes flush right down the toilet. NE won't fall prey to this laziness vice or weakness IMO.

I don't believe in superstition but maybe a Super Bowl loose can have a lasting negative affect on moral. It depends on the team and the kind of people on the team. Maybe they "curse" themselves.

No matter how good a SB loser looks going into a season it seems often weird things can happen to them. A weird playoff loss that is unexpected or has bizarre circumstances can result too.

You can often say the same thing for the Super Bowl winner.

Define what the "curse" would be for the Patriots.

Not making the playoffs?

One and done?

The Patriots have upgraded since last season, particularly at the WR position, and perhaps even at the RB position. Their draft was pretty outstanding, particularly in the 1st round. Hightower is a frickin' STUD. The LB corp should be pretty outstanding this year.

Not making the playoffs?

One and done?

The Patriots have upgraded since last season, particularly at the WR position, and perhaps even at the RB position. Their draft was pretty outstanding, particularly in the 1st round. Hightower is a frickin' STUD. The LB corp should be pretty outstanding this year.

Since the Patriots are so good I think a one-and-done would be the correct definition for the curse of the 2012 season. It would be highly unfortunate and unexpected, given the talent that they have added. It would be even worse if it was against the Tebow-led Jets or the new and improved Cleveland Browns lol.

Since the Patriots are so good I think a one-and-done would be the correct definition for the curse of the 2012 season. It would be highly unfortunate and unexpected, given the talent that they have added. It would be even worse if it was against the Tebow-led Jets or the new and improved Cleveland Browns lol.

lmao lmao lmao

I would pay to see this happen.

lmao lmao lmao

I would pay to see this happen.

Hahaha, given the record of new teams coming in every year, maybe it's not impossible haha. But the Browns are just horrible...For the Patriots this wouldn't be a curse it would be confirmation from the football gods that they just don't like them lmao.

Not making the playoffs?

One and done?

Thats the point. The Pats based on recent history and their current team should be the SB faves. And they are.

But, will something strange happen? Like Qwiz said will you guys roll and then falter to Tebow in the playoffs or the upstart Browns :worthy: ? Or even the Luck led Colts who suprisingly sneak into the 6th seed led by coach of the year Chuck Pagano. :oops:

In all honesty if the Colts can't shock the world next year I would not mind it being the Browns. Oh man, what a story THAT would be. Would almost bring a tear to our eyes!!!!

I think people put a curse on anything that goes wrong. Last year, Jamaal Charles and Eric Berry were both out for the entire season for the Chiefs and no one mentioned any curse. But if the Chiefs had gone far in the playoffs last year, everyone would have said they were "cursed". I don't buy the curse thing.

I think a one and done is no more than just missing the boat.

A curse would be major injuries or just plain bad like a 9-7 season etc.

What scares me is that my sister had a dream after Tebow joined the Jets that the Jets won the SB.

And she saw Tebow hoisting the Lombardi in her dream.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

No disrespect to your sister Jules, but Tebow hoisting the Lombardi trophy both sends chills down my spine in horror this is both bizarrely fascinating and eccentrically comical to me.

I'm sure that your sister is very intelligent, but Tebow winning an SuperBowl is a sign of a vivid imagination in my estimation. Let's hope her dream never comes to pass. Just Kidding!!!

Jets have major problems,no one persons gonna fix,its called lack of chemistry,in fighting and too many ego trips,until this is resolved they will never make the SB in my opinion

Yep, Tebow is a good kid. I hope that he is not ruined during his tenure with that Hulk team.

I think a one and done is no more than just missing the boat.

A curse would be major injuries or just plain bad like a 9-7 season etc.

9-7 is bad? Hahaha us Texans were proud of that a few seasons ago! :D

The last time the Patriots lost a Super Bowl, Brady's knee got drilled by Bernard Pollard less than one quarter into the game of Week 1 of the following season.

Then they finished 11-5, admirably, with Cassel at the helm, and were only the second team with that record to not get a wildcard spot since the new playoff format was introduced.

I'd say that was a fairly cursed season, yeah...

The Super Bowl loser curse was very specific the first time I heard it, and has been watered down as it's been broken. It was that the team that loses the Super Bowl would miss the playoffs the following season. It was a pretty dominant trend for a couple decades, with just a few exceptions (most notably, the Bills, who went to and lost the Super Bowl four years in a row). But that trend isn't very surprising to me, because every season I think 4 or 5 playoffs teams get replaced. The NFL is very competitive, so it stands to reason that a team that was good enough to go to the Super Bowl would suffer a setback or just not be good enough the next season and miss the playoffs. I never considered it a curse, mostly because I don't believe in curses, but also because it was a very sensible trend.

The last time the Patriots lost a Super Bowl, Brady's knee got drilled by Bernard Pollard less than one quarter into the game of Week 1 of the following season.

Then they finished 11-5, admirably, with Cassel at the helm, and were only the second team with that record to not get a wildcard spot since the new playoff format was introduced.

I dont think it had to do with a curse

I dont think it had to do with a curse

Maybe, maybe not... lol! I don't know, it's the only season since 2002 they haven't made the playoffs, and the only season where Brady missed even a single game.

I'm not happy about any of this, mind you.

Maybe, maybe not... lol! I don't know, it's the only season since 2002 they haven't made the playoffs, and the only season where Brady missed even a single game.

I'm not happy about any of this, mind you.

I would just be more concerned about getting better Corner play but then again the Colts are in the same boat in regards to that

Just for the record based on the Pats current team and their schedule I think they should be VERY good next season. First or second seed material. IF Brady is healthy for the whole year.

I guess maybe the curse is fading since the last 3 SB losers did make the playoffs.

Another thing I find interesting is the SB is in NO. Pats seem to love to play SB's there lol. Colts love to go to Miami!

No disrespect to your sister Jules, but Tebow hoisting the Lombardi trophy both sends chills down my spine in horror this is both bizarrely fascinating and eccentrically comical to me.

I'm sure that your sister is very intelligent, but Tebow winning an SuperBowl is a sign of a vivid imagination in my estimation. Let's hope her dream never comes to pass. Just Kidding!!!

Yes she is very intelligent and has off the wall dreams and theories at times. I would not be stunned if the Jets made the playoffs though but they look more like WC material to me right now.

Of course the last 3; Cardinals, Colts, Steelers all made the playoffs.

This years Patriots will be a big one to test this "curse" out.

I am not so sure about a curse per se . . . but u are correct is that sometimes things happen to the losing team . . .barring an injury to one of our key players, we have a good chance to make the player offs . . . perhaps an early exit might be the bad thing to happen to us . . . we'll see . . . i think only two teams have won the SB the following year after losing the SB . . . the 71 Cowboys (the year Roger Starbauch won his starting job) and the followingly year with the 72 Fins . . .

i think too that some teams can be emotionally hurt by the loss and it can carry into the following year . . . also, not many teams can have the success the colts and pats have had and a few of the SB losers were kind of a one and done/flash in the pan/a team with a short run, and they run out of steam the following year . . .

lets hope the pats are not hurt by the loss . . .

I am not so sure about a curse per se . . . but u are correct is that sometimes things happen to the losing team . . .barring an injury to one of our key players, we have a good chance to make the player offs . . . perhaps an early exit might be the bad thing to happen to us . . . we'll see . . . i think only two teams have won the SB the following year after losing the SB . . . the 71 Cowboys (the year Roger Starbauch won his starting job) and the followingly year with the 72 Fins . . .

i think too that some teams can be emotionally hurt by the loss and it can carry into the following year . . . also, not many teams can have the success the colts and pats have had and a few of the SB losers were kind of a one and done/flash in the pan/a team with a short run, and they run out of steam the following year . . .

lets hope the pats are not hurt by the loss . . .

I did not think about this until now but maybe since they are used to it (sorry guys) it won't be as tough. They lost the SB already to the Giants and have experience with it. It might not be a big deal.

BTW congrats Pats fans on the Celtics run which many did not call. I am on the bandwagon right now. Paul Pierce for 3!!!!!!!!!! Those guys want it bad. Love it.

I did not think about this until now but maybe since they are used to it (sorry guys) it won't be as tough. They lost the SB already to the Giants and have experience with it. It might not be a big deal.

BTW congrats Pats fans on the Celtics run which many did not call. I am on the bandwagon right now. Paul Pierce for 3!!!!!!!!!! Those guys want it bad. Love it.

thanks for the props on the Celtics, great game last night . . . it has been a nice 5 year run here with the Big 3, now Big 4 . . . hope they can win Thursday and if so we'll see what happens in the Finals . . . we Boston fans have beem blessed the last 10 years . . .

as for the pats you bring up a great point, we have lost two :(, perhaps the second loss might be easier to recover from having already been through it before . . .

thanks for the props on the Celtics, great game last night . . . it has been a nice 5 year run here with the Big 3, now Big 4 . . . hope they can win Thursday and if so we'll see what happens in the Finals . . . we Boston fans have beem blessed the last 10 years . . .

as for the pats you bring up a great point, we have lost two :(, perhaps the second loss might be easier to recover from having already been through it before . . .

Congrats on the big win, alot of us are rooting for you guys against the Heat, cant stand that team, Im thinking the Celtics have to win it in 6 though

I had Celtics/Spurs in finals but I often felt it might be wishful thinking with the Heat losing. I might have to see Celtics/Thunder? Yeah I think the C's close it out in 6. Boston will be rocking. This is not the young Pacers who can't close things.

Overall, Celtics sort of give me the "team of destiny" look.

Besides it has been a year of improbable champions so far to me. Giants barely make it in the playoffs and win it all. Kings look to likely win the Stanley Cup. Celtics based on their season fit the pattern in basketball.

I think I will take the C's to win it all right now. Most won't but I will. I had the Pats losing to the Giants too and Mavs over Heat last year. Mavs REALLY looked like a destiny team. It was just finally their time.

Defense wins championships! I am not too impressed with any of the defenses in the western conference. Offense sells tickets, defense wins championships.

I had Celtics/Spurs in finals but I often felt it might be wishful thinking with the Heat losing. I might have to see Celtics/Thunder? Yeah I think the C's close it out in 6. Boston will be rocking. This is not the young Pacers who can't close things.

Overall, Celtics sort of give me the "team of destiny" look.

Besides it has been a year of improbable champions so far to me. Giants barely make it in the playoffs and win it all. Kings look to likely win the Stanley Cup. Celtics based on their season fit the pattern in basketball.

I think I will take the C's to win it all right now. Most won't but I will. I had the Pats losing to the Giants too and Mavs over Heat last year. Mavs REALLY looked like a destiny team. It was just finally their time.

Defense wins championships! I am not too impressed with any of the defenses in the western conference. Offense sells tickets, defense wins championships.

OKC to win in 6 in the finals against Boston.

I'd say it was. Considering they were 11-5, they should have made the playoffs, yet were denied it by bad luck. Despite the success, it meant nothing.

At least one good thing came out of it... Matt Cassel trade bait to the Chiefs!

OKC to win in 6 in the finals against Boston.

Like I said most will take OKC lol. I will be different and take the underdog. Why not? I like the feel of them lately. I am not sure I trust Stern but then again this Boston team already got jobbed out of winning game 2 vs. the Heat. Meh. As long as the Heat get out.

Boston still needs to get in though. Game 6, finish them Boston.

BTW for the superstitious let us see if history can repeat itself.

The last time the Celtics won a title was the first year the current big 3 in Boston were put together. They won it all in June of 2008 in the same year the Pats lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl.

Now years later in 2012 it could very well be the final year of the big 3 in Boston. The Pats are also coming off a Super Bowl loss again to the Giants the same season.

Like I said most will take OKC lol.

Did you? I must've missed that in your post. But you mentioned Celtics being a team of destiny, but the way OKC has had to beat the Mavs, Lakers, and Spurs - and the way they played last night - really gives of T.O.D. vibe to me if you wanna go that route.

Did you? I must've missed that in your post. But you mentioned Celtics being a team of destiny, but the way OKC has had to beat the Mavs, Lakers, and Spurs - and the way they played last night - really gives of T.O.D. vibe to me if you wanna go that route.

Nevermind. OKC in 6 over whoever now. I will be on their wagon if the Heat win game 7. OMG I can't stand them.

What a HORRIBLE game by the Celtics at home. Maybe the SB loser curse passed over the Pats to the Celtics.

Thanks Boston! Better show up for game 7.