Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Next Year Pro-Bowlers

Nobody

Our new coach Chuck Pagano is a defensive minded coach. We have upgraded everywhere in our coaching staff. I think we'll have more pro bowlers than just Freeney this up coming year. Who do you think we could have going? (even if the actual pro bowl is gone)

My Picks

Freeney/Mathis- I think both Freeney and Mathis are hit or miss. They will either excell in this new D, or flop. I think they both have a good chance of making it.

Bethea- I have no doubt he will be a top candidate for the Pro Bowl, he is a great player, and showed it with our joke of a coaching staff and defensive scheme these last few years.

Reggie Wayne- could be getting a lot of balls thrown at him by Luck, because of his reliability, so he's a top candidate as well.

Sleeper/Unlikely Picks

Jerraud Powers- With a name like Powers, he has a chance. I think he will excel under Pagano, and maybe enough to be an all pro.

Andrew Luck- it's not likely, but, heck, Newton and Dalton did it!

Tom Zbikowski- this one is very unlikely, as he didn't even start under Pagano last year, but he may thrive under the pressure of being in a lot of important plays, because we are pretty bad.

Austin Collie- This depends on if Luck uses his slot receivers like Peyton did.

Coby Fleener- Unlikely, but as Lucks security blanket he could get a lot throws, especially in the red zone.

Donald Brown- "Take out all the good games he had last year and he only had okay games!" that's how many explain DBs breakout year last year. You can't deny he showed a lot of improvement. He could be even better with a mobile QB and the threat of the passing game returning.

Tell me who you think will/could make it, and feel free to criticize mine.

Throw Pat Angerer on the list of maybes...

I would want Pat McAfee too, but it wont happen while Lechler is in the AFC...

McAfee is an underrated player at an underrated position, unfortunately. I actually see Angerer's tackles dropping, but he will still be a force. His problem last year was he didn't make plays, he just cleaned up after our DL.

I really think it's Freeney, Mathis, or no one. With a good season, Luck may get on as an alternate when Brady doesn't attend and with enough injured players (think Andy Dalton last year).

Luck already has the advantage of being a big name, and people always seem to want to vote in rookies. If he plays as well as expected, he will be hyped in the media and have a really good chance. The fans seem to vote in whoever is being hyped by the media...

Bethea and Mathis will make it, Angerer and Freeney might. Hopefully Luck has a good year and makes it, but it'a doubtful with Brady, Roethlisberger, Manning, etc. in the conference. It would be awesome if Reggie and Peyton hook up for a TD in the Pro Bowl :).

Luck already has the advantage of being a big name, and people always seem to want to vote in rookies. If he plays as well as expected, he will be hyped in the media and have a really good chance. The fans seem to vote in whoever is being hyped by the media...

True, but fan voting isn't enough to put a guy in the Pro Bowl, see: Tim Tebow (and you KNOW that Luck's not getting that level of hype).

True, but fan voting isn't enough to put a guy in the Pro Bowl, see: Tim Tebow (and you KNOW that Luck's not getting that level of hype).

Very true, but I see all the Tim Tebow hype being led by his HATERS. His great character gets him attention, but no one seems to believe he can be an NFL quarterback. Luck has attention due to the great amount of promise he has shown.

Very true, but I see all the Tim Tebow hype being led by his HATERS..

I'm going to disagree. I think the over abundance of Tebow in the media has led to him having a lot of HATERS. I don't personally hate the man but I do get tired of having him force fed down my throat by every media outlet. Just like anybody who is put on a pedestal there are going to be those who are waiting for them to fall off, but the "HATERS" aren't leading the hype around him. The "HATERS" are waiting with baited breath for the hype to go away.

i dont even know why talking about pro bowl its not taken serious players get voted cause people like them like ray lewis he missed how many games last year and still got in it doesnt matter how well the play

Peoples votes only account for 25% of the vote. So popularity isn't the best way to get in. It's not as lopsided as it is made out to be.

Pro Bowl cancelled due to lack of interest and irrelevancy

The game is gone, pretty sure we will still vote for all-stars.

My take on this is this is wasted time. I don't think there will be a pro bowl. Last years was a joke and the idea of not having one has been brought up already. I think it will be done away with.

We've already addressed this. Look at my last post.

Nobody- Because you made a comment on it earlier I have no voice? I have no opinion? Because you post a comment no one else can? OK

Overreact much? You just made something outta nothing. Great job. You said you thought there was no more pro bowl, and I said look back we talked about whether they would have a pro bowl. I said there won't be a pro bowl but we will still vote for all stars. How is whether it is gone or not a matter of opinion or having a voice?

For what little it's worth, and I stress that.... my knowledge of Pro Football is much more broad and not narrow as a fan of just one team.... even though that's what I am now. But, that was my life as a sports producer for roughly 20 years.

So, broadly speaking, I'd say the switch in scheme and coaching favors Angerer, Conner, Bethea and whoever the other safety is as candidates for the Pro Bowl (which, yes, will likely not take place) so call them all-stars.

As I'm sure you know, the 3-4 defense favors the DL keeping blockers off the LB's and Safeties so they're free to make tackles. So, I think those guys stand the best chance to make an impact and get noticed.

Offensively...... your guess is as good as mine on this. I've seen all the usual suspects named in this thread and I don't disagree with anyone. Throw a dart. I don't think we'll have a feel for things until after the pre-season, and even then things could change. For all any of us knows, Luck could click with guys like Hilton and Brazill.... but odds are he'll favor guys like Fleener and Allen. But the vets, Wayne and Collie, can't be overlooked.... and Donald Brown should not be dismissed. Luck understands the concept of a defense anticipating the pass and making an audible to a run. Brown could be a big beneficiary of Luck's Stanford background. Hey, I'm talking out of my rear here.... but this is what makes it all so fun..... at least Luck has some very nice options... the man is not without some weapons.... and Luck with weapons should spell trouble for opposing defenses...

NewColtsFan

For what little it's worth, and I stress that.... my knowledge of Pro Football is much more broad and not narrow as a fan of just one team.... even though that's what I am now. But, that was my life as a sports producer for roughly 20 years.

So, broadly speaking, I'd say the switch in scheme and coaching favors Angerer, Conner, Bethea and whoever the other safety is as candidates for the Pro Bowl (which, yes, will likely not take place) so call them all-stars.

As I'm sure you know, the 3-4 defense favors the DL keeping blockers off the LB's and Safeties so they're free to make tackles. So, I think those guys stand the best chance to make an impact and get noticed.

Offensively...... your guess is as good as mine on this. I've seen all the usual suspects named in this thread and I don't disagree with anyone. Throw a dart. I don't think we'll have a feel for things until after the pre-season, and even then things could change. For all any of us knows, Luck could click with guys like Hilton and Brazill.... but odds are he'll favor guys like Fleener and Allen. But the vets, Wayne and Collie, can't be overlooked.... and Donald Brown should not be dismissed. Luck understands the concept of a defense anticipating the pass and making an audible to a run. Brown could be a big beneficiary of Luck's Stanford background. Hey, I'm talking out of my rear here.... but this is what makes it all so fun..... at least Luck has some very nice options... the man is not without some weapons.... and Luck with weapons should spell trouble for opposing defenses...

NewColtsFan

Do you think Angerer manages more tackles than last year? Bethea? Conner? And I agree, we have no idea offensively. I keep seeing everywhere, "Luck will struggle" and "He has no weapons, RG3 has better weapons" yet I think Fleener + Allen > F Davis possibly, and we aren't great at WR, but they have a lot of overpaid WRs that are just okay (Garcon, that 49er guy) and I think we could be better there too.

Angerer thats pretty much it this year, how about we wait until Donald Brown breaks the 650 yard mark before we start thinking he will go to a Pro Bowl especially given running backs he will have to compete with for that honor

Do you think Angerer manages more tackles than last year? Bethea? Conner? And I agree, we have no idea offensively. I keep seeing everywhere, "Luck will struggle" and "He has no weapons, RG3 has better weapons" yet I think Fleener + Allen > F Davis possibly, and we aren't great at WR, but they have a lot of overpaid WRs that are just okay (Garcon, that 49er guy) and I think we could be better there too.

Honestly, since I'm a new Colts fan, I have no idea how many tackles Angerer, Connor, Bethea, or anyone else on this team actually made last year. They could have been the leading tacklers for all I know. But, if the defense improves, and from what I read here, most think that it will this season, the guys we're talking about I think stand the greatest chance of getting most of the attention.

Of course, all that said, if Freeney and/or Mathis really seem to shine in the new format, that will gain a lot of attention all by itself. These days quality pash rushers are 'stars'.....

Really, all I'm trying to do is think this from a broad perspective. My knowledge of the Colts is less than ideal right now. I'm sure it will grow, but I've got plenty to learn.

NewColtsFan

Honestly, since I'm a new Colts fan, I have no idea how many tackles Angerer, Connor, Bethea, or anyone else on this team actually made last year. They could have been the leading tacklers for all I know. But, if the defense improves, and from what I read here, most think that it will this season, the guys we're talking about I think stand the greatest chance of getting most of the attention.

Of course, all that said, if Freeney and/or Mathis really seem to shine in the new format, that will gain a lot of attention all by itself. These days quality pash rushers are 'stars'.....

Really, all I'm trying to do is think this from a broad perspective. My knowledge of the Colts is less than ideal right now. I'm sure it will grow, but I've got plenty to learn.

NewColtsFan

Angerer led the league in tackles most of the season. I believe Conner was top ten in tackles and Bethea top 15.

Angerer led the league in tackles most of the season. I believe Conner was top ten in tackles and Bethea top 15.

Thanks.... appreciate the 411.... I also suspect (though I don't know) that you could probably find all three players in the NFL's Witness Protection Program. In other words, good players who nobody knows about. Perhaps if the defense improves and the team does a little better than most expect (7-8 wins?) then maybe those same guys will get more publicity and more respect. Who knows, maybe they'll even show up on next year's NFL's Top-100 players as voted by other NFL players......

NCF

McAfee is an underrated player at an underrated position, unfortunately. I actually see Angerer's tackles dropping, but he will still be a force. His problem last year was he didn't make plays, he just cleaned up after our DL.

It's not so much a knock on mcafee as it is praise for lecher. Lecher is like the Peyton manning of punters everyone else is playing for second place but only one punter gets to go to the pro-bowl