Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chuck Pagano on NFL32

HtownColt

Chuch Pagano on NFL 32 said about the defense "pressure, pressure, pressure, thats what were going to do"

"we have guys that get after the quarterback".

"Get the play over quick" lol thats funny.

"It will be foolish to not have Freeney and Mathis rushing the passer"

Just said this as I speak

Not to sound cynical, but that's exactly what the old defense did. Freeney and Mathis rushed the passer. Used Speed guys to swarm the ball. and end the play quickly.

but the back end is whats going to be diferrent(old regime stayed in that soft 7yrd cushion cover 2) and with Redding and hopefully McKinney or Chapman or Nevis or Moala requiring initial double teams give the linebackers to roam more freely and make plays and leaves Freeney or Mathis one on one and ill take my chances with them going one on one. And we're not going to be coming from the same spots on the field your going to have to find Freeney before the play starts and Pagano is going to find the weak link in their Oline and exploit it with our rushers, it isn't going to be your best lineman on Freeney every play like it used to be. And with the pressure defense the CB's will have chances to break on routes more often then what they did in the past

but the back end is whats going to be diferrent(old regime stayed in that soft 7yrd cushion cover 2) and with Redding and hopefully McKinney or Chapman or Nevis or Moala requiring initial double teams give the linebackers to roam more freely and make plays and leaves Freeney or Mathis one on one and ill take my chances with them going one on one. And we're not going to be coming from the same spots on the field your going to have to find Freeney before the play starts and Pagano is going to find the weak link in their Oline and exploit it with our rushers, it isn't going to be your best lineman on Freeney every play like it used to be. And with the pressure defense the CB's will have chances to break on routes more often then what they did in the past

I know it's going to be different. Just the base of it sounds the same is all.

I know it's going to be different. Just the base of it sounds the same is all.

Let's hope they watched enough tape to realize that you can't count on getting to the QB when your DB's are 8 yards off the receiver. Easy pitch and catch for most experienced QBs.

Not to sound cynical, but that's exactly what the old defense did. Freeney and Mathis rushed the passer. Used Speed guys to swarm the ball. and end the play quickly.

Except the old system was so predictable and the coaches were terrible; the players were untalented and we ran the same outdated schemes. I am willing to actually see this new defense in action before passing judgement.

great post Htown

Except the old system was so predictable and the coaches were terrible; the players were untalented and we ran the same outdated schemes. I am willing to actually see this new defense in action before passing judgement.

More than half our defense is the same personnel wise. So our defense is untalented? I wasn't passing judgement it just sounds the same is all.

Tampa 2 isn't a bad defense either. It's been successful with many franchises, and some of the top defenses run it. The Bears, the Bucs when they were good. It's just Caldwell and Coyer didn't know how it works.

More than half our defense is the same personnel wise. So our defense is untalented? I wasn't passing judgement it just sounds the same is all.

Tampa 2 isn't a bad defense either. It's been successful with many franchises, and some of the top defenses run it. The Bears, the Bucs when they were good. It's just Caldwell and Coyer didn't know how it works.

tampa 2 is basically a prevent defense keep everything in front of you and make the tackle..Only Dungy and his protege lovie smith actually got his players to play that to perfection

tampa 2 is basically a prevent defense keep everything in front of you and make the tackle..Only Dungy and his protege lovie smith actually got his players to play that to perfection

It's Cover 2 with a dropping MLB. Kriffin, Tampa's DC during and after Dungy, also knew how to run it.

It's Cover 2 with a dropping MLB. Kriffin, Tampa's DC during and after Dungy, also knew how to run it.

yea i know that whats it is..you can only play that when you have a lead. you cant play that 80% of the game

yea i know that whats it is..you can only play that when you have a lead. you cant play that 80% of the game

We didn't play that last year though. We played CBs prevent last year. If they ran the proper defense last year there wouldn't have been all those 3rd downs being converted with the short passes. The CBs are suppose to play run and short passes in the Tampa 2. While playing underneath on go routes with safety help over the top. We play almost all prevent it seemed last year.

You can play Tampa 2 majority, but not prevent.

EDIT: The only time I remember Tampa 2 is when Powers got the pick six against Matt Ryan.

We didn't play that last year though. We played CBs prevent last year. If they ran the proper defense last year there wouldn't have been all those 3rd downs being converted with the short passes. The CBs are suppose to play run and short passes in the Tampa 2. While playing underneath on go routes with safety help over the top. We play almost all prevent it seemed last year.

You can play Tampa 2 majority, but not prevent.

EDIT: The only time I remember Tampa 2 is when Powers got the pick six against Matt Ryan.

naw they were playing tampa 2 it was just more loosely than normal being that the interim d coordinator pretty much aint have a choice once they fired coyer just look how angerer bails out of there when the play starts tells you its tampa 2

I like your thought train!

naw they were playing tampa 2 it was just more loosely than normal being that the interim d coordinator pretty much aint have a choice once they fired coyer just look how angerer bails out of there when the play starts tells you its tampa 2

Angerer may have been dropping, but the corners weren't playing "hard".

Thank you, you beat me to it! Everyone under estimates how poor our defensive scheme and coaches were. I don't see coach Pags gazing from the sideline clapping every so often and giving em a we are getting better six inches at a time quotes.

Angerer may have been dropping, but the corners weren't playing "hard".

you can play cover 2 with a 7yrd cushion or press cover 2..only thing that seperates cover 2 and tampa 2 is the MLB its all the same in the back end

Too say untalented is harsh,they were drafted into the NFL.Poorly coached or used wrongly is better judgement of our guys.Would you let Freeney play QB?Our CBs played the way they were taught in our system.Do you think they got to start by playing off the ball when the coach wanted press coverage?No they had an unfair advantage from the start,give the guy 8 to 12 yards then try to run him down.

Too say untalented is harsh,they were drafted into the NFL.Poorly coached or used wrongly is better judgement of our guys.Would you let Freeney play QB?Our CBs played the way they were taught in our system.Do you think they got to start by playing off the ball when the coach wanted press coverage?No they had an unfair advantage from the start,give the guy 8 to 12 yards then try to run him down.

His words not mine.

I love his intensity and his fire... I'd like to see some aggressive play-calling like Gregg Williams did, except this time, just no money on the table :thmup:

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, low blow! :bag:

What I'm looking forward to seeing "the Monster" in work for once. I can't wait til visit training camp a few times and see what we've got. I can't wait until the season starts and we see that first big hit and we as fans and the the defense go crazy.

The key here is unpredicatability. We need to mix it up with immagination and tailored aggression. I just hope when we get gashed on some long throws we don't revert to soft coverage. I cannot see how we fail to improve on our pretty rancid coverage of last year, but it's easy to sound good in front of a microphone.

I'm every bit as intrigued by how our D is going to play as how Luck runs the offense.

We are in for an intersting season for sure....

That is not true at all.

The Cover-2, Tampa-2, Dungy-2 whatever you want to call it, is not basically a prevent D. I admit it did look like that with the bonehead Coyer but with Kiffin, Meeks, the Bears (don't know the DC), those guys knew how to call plays.

The Cover-2 is a single gap defense that relies on the front four being able to consistently pressure the QB. On running plays, if each player hits his gap then it forces the runner to run parallel to the LOS instead of perpendicular which gives the safeties, CBs and backside LB time to swarm to the ball.

On pass plays it relies on the front 4 getting pressure on the QB, forcing quick throws. The DBs are supposed to keep everything in front of them so they can come up and make a stop for a short gain.

When played well, it forces an offense to play near perfect football to march down the field and score. And it makes it very hard to score TDs inside the 10 yard line because the zone areas become much smaller.

Coyer was too predictable so the D looked really bad. But if a 3-4 coach is predictable his defense will look really bad. It's not the scheme that was the problem for the Colts it was the DC.

When analyzing Pagano's D, he seems to have figured out that it's not a 4-3 alignment that works or a 3-4 alignment, it's being unpredictable. You don't know if Freeney(Suggs) is going to have his hand in the dirt on the left side, right side, inside the guard, outside the tackle or whether he is going to stand up and move around. You don't know if Bethea(Reed) is going to be playing man coverage on the TE or it will be zone this time.

Yes but the old defense you could predict very easily where the pressure was coming from because it always came from the defensive line. With this new defense it will be much harder to predict who will be bringing the blitzes because they will be coming from every level of the defense from safties to cornerbacks to linebackers and lineman depending on the circumstances which that will make it much more confusing to the offense than before. The old cover 2 defense it always came from the defensive line and every blue moon from the linebackers

That is not true at all.

The Cover-2, Tampa-2, Dungy-2 whatever you want to call it, is not basically a prevent D. I admit it did look like that with the bonehead Coyer but with Kiffin, Meeks, the Bears (don't know the DC), those guys knew how to call plays.

The Cover-2 is a single gap defense that relies on the front four being able to consistently pressure the QB. On running plays, if each player hits his gap then it forces the runner to run parallel to the LOS instead of perpendicular which gives the safeties, CBs and backside LB time to swarm to the ball.

On pass plays it relies on the front 4 getting pressure on the QB, forcing quick throws. The DBs are supposed to keep everything in front of them so they can come up and make a stop for a short gain.

When played well, it forces an offense to play near perfect football to march down the field and score. And it makes it very hard to score TDs inside the 10 yard line because the zone areas become much smaller.

Coyer was too predictable so the D looked really bad. But if a 3-4 coach is predictable his defense will look really bad. It's not the scheme that was the problem for the Colts it was the DC.

When analyzing Pagano's D, he seems to have figured out that it's not a 4-3 alignment that works or a 3-4 alignment, it's being unpredictable. You don't know if Freeney(Suggs) is going to have his hand in the dirt on the left side, right side, inside the guard, outside the tackle or whether he is going to stand up and move around. You don't know if Bethea(Reed) is going to be playing man coverage on the TE or it will be zone this time.

Lets make it simple... the T2 IS TOTALLY DEPENDENT ON THE FRONT 4. PERIOD.

I think the problem with the Tampa-2 defense is that you need impact players and everything has to flow correctly. Tampa Bay won a Super Bowl with it and many teams use some form of it, but you really have to have the players and the discipline to do it.

The nice thing about the 3-4 hybrid is that you can get by with lesser players. Take a look at Arizona. How many good players do they have on defense? But last year, they really came on with their 3-4 defense.

I predict the Colts defense will be far better than what the experts are saying. It might take them 5 games to get it down, but I think they will really come on.

Exactly....that's the get-the-lead and rush-the-passer defense

...its the way the NFL is going...

...you cant sit back and hope your 'D' can smother everybody.

That's why dominant defensive teams lose quickly in the post-season lately (and why they will continue to)

That is not true at all.

cover 2 doesn't mean a thing to the front 4, cover 2 is what pass coverage you're going to be in on the back end, they might have a blitz called and cover 2 in the back end.cover 2 has nothing to do with gaps for the front 7. Front 7 will have their stunts or blitzes called the when they recognize pass they drop in their zones but cover 2 has nothing to do with what run gap you are responsible for

Cover - 2 is a prevent defense..it allows you to complete the pass....

..and you keep everything in front of you...and whack the receiver for takeaways like the Bears do

Give up short pass gains to prevent ANY long pass gains...

It works if you have a Big-time offense and the the side has to catch up...

But it is a 'prevent' defense

cover 2 doesn't mean a thing to the front 4, cover 2 is what pass coverage you're going to be in on the back end, they might have a blitz called and cover 2 in the back end.cover 2 has nothing to do with gaps for the front 7. Front 7 will have their stunts or blitzes called the when they recognize pass they drop in their zones but cover 2 has nothing to do with what run gap you are responsible for

That is not really true. Now what they call in the huddle is multi-layered with different names to assing responsibilties for each player. But the idea behind a cover 2/dungy 2/tamp 2 is a one gap defense.

Cover - 2 is a prevent defense..it allows you to complete the pass....

..and you keep everything in front of you...and whack the receiver for takeaways like the Bears do

Give up short pass gains to prevent ANY long pass gains...

It works if you have a Big-time offense and the the side has to catch up...

But it is a 'prevent' defense

No, it's not a prevent defense.

Or, using your defintion then every defense is a prevent defense because the idea is the prevent the other team from scoring.