Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck at camp

HtownColt

all credit goes to Brad Wells and StampedBlue

Andrew Luck and the 2012 rookie class completed their first minicamp practice this afternoon, and already teammates and coaches are lauding Luck's leadership, intelligence, and (interestingly) his calming presence.

The always entertaining Phil Wilson of the Indianapolis Star was at minicamp, and he got some interesting statements from TE Coby Fleener and WR T.Y. Hilton.

Receiver
, a third-round draft choice, admitted he was nervous but said Luck "settled me down."

Fleener said of his friend Luck, "He's the same Andrew. He's as brilliant as ever."

He said Luck was already calling plays "with like 30 words in them."

Head coach Chuck Pagano called Luck a "natural leader."

With so many comparison often made between Luck and former Colts QB Peyton Manning, it's also important to note some very key differences. One key difference comes from Hilton's comment about Luck settling him down. Peyton was always known for his intensity at practice as well as his disgust with players who did not match his level of effort. Manning was anything but calming. He played with an edge, and he held it against other players who did not.

star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg

Another interesting difference is Luck practiced today wearing a red jersey, which is a signal to defensive players that the player wearing that jersey is to receive no contact. Peyton Manning <a href="http://twitter.com/#!/TribStarTJames/status/198451893205344257" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-size: 13px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; color: rgb(22, 63, 131); text-decoration: none; font-weight: bold; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; " target="_blank">refused to wear red jerseys in practice during his stint in Indianapolis.

However, just as we note a difference between Manning and Luck, Tom James tweeted out this little bit of news:

TomJames_normal.jpg

When asked about wearing the red practice jersey, ALuck deferred to the coaching staff. It was apparent that he would rather not wear it.

The comparisons will always be made mainly because there are so many of the

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With so many comparison often made between Luck and former Colts QB Peyton Manning, it's also important to note some very key differences. One key difference comes from Hilton's comment about Luck settling him down. Peyton was always known for his intensity at practice as well as his disgust with players who did not match his level of effort. Manning was anything but calming. He played with an edge, and he held it against other players who did not.

This is just simply not true. Over the years we have read many comments from rookies talking about how Manning made them feel comfortable, made them feel part of the organization from day one and helped alleviate their nerves. Yes he was intense but he calmed them down.

This is just simply not true. Over the years we have read many comments from rookies talking about how Manning made them feel comfortable, made them feel part of the organization from day one and helped alleviate their nerves. Yes he was intense but he calmed them down.

I'm sure that it's a bit of both. People aren't like a light switch, just on or off. They have a full range of emotions and I'm sure that when Manning began his career, he made others feel more welcome and over time, as he progressed in his game and routine, he expected more of others placing additional pressure on them to match his intensity.

Wells seems to be taking on the Bash Manning at all costs just to prop up Luck at this point. Gut feeling.

Manning is intense on the field as he should be. Like you, I've read numerous accounts of Manning going above and beyond in helping players feel comfortable whether that is inviting them to Thanksgiving dinner at his house or one-on-one work at camp.

Wells seems to be taking on the Bash Manning at all costs just to prop up Luck at this point. Gut feeling.

Manning is intense on the field as he should be. Like you, I've read numerous accounts of Manning going above and beyond in helping players feel comfortable whether that is inviting them to Thanksgiving dinner at his house or one-on-one work at camp.

By this time next year will be reading about how Manning wasn't that good, he was more a product of the system.

Oh well, it will never be something I understand. Manning is one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game. Luck has a chance to be one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game. I don't have to knock one to compliment the other, I don't understand why some people feel it must be that way.

I'm sure that it's a bit of both. People aren't like a light switch, just on or off. They have a full range of emotions and I'm sure that when Manning began his career, he made others feel more welcome and over time, as he progressed in his game and routine, he expected more of others placing additional pressure on them to match his intensity.

People are not light switches I agree with that part. But no, it was in recent years as well where people talked about Manning. I remember one comment a rookie called him, "Mr. Manning" and he laughed and told him they were all on the same team so it's just Peyton.

Someone above mentioned Donald Brown, really? So now we cannot distinguish between rookie camp and a game? :rolleyes:

i think comment was referring to how peyton wanted everything perfect in practice and how much pressure he put on all the players to know what their doing. not bashing just giving my opinion on the comment

I like how Luck downplayed Pagano's comment that this day was "monumental". He did it in a way that didn't convey 'no big deal'.

I took his comment as relaying he was up for the challenge and wasn't going to portray himself as in anyway overwhelmed.

here

Luck never reminded me much of Manning in terms of personality. So I never got those comparisons anyway. Maybe in time Luck becomes more "in your face" but it might not be his style either.

In an article a while ago when Irsay spoke of Luck/RG3....Jim praised the leadership of Andrew.

BTW yes the writer might have worded it better about Manning but listen, let us be honest. Every fanbase not named the Colts fans does not use the term "Manning face" for nothing. If there was one knock I ever had on Manning over the years it was that I wish at times he would had loosened up a bit more and had more fun, especially in big games. He was a machine, a perfectionist, brilliant. But, at times I felt he could be a tad uptight.

There are different ways to be leaders. Peyton was one here. Luck hopefully is emerging as one here and seems to have already won over a few veterans, most notably Mathis.

Luck never reminded me much of Manning in terms of personality. So I never got those comparisons anyway. Maybe in time Luck becomes more "in your face" but it might not be his style either.

In an article a while ago when Irsay spoke of Luck/RG3....Jim praised the leadership of Andrew.

BTW yes the writer might have worded it better about Manning but listen, let us be honest. Every fanbase not named the Colts fans does not use the term "Manning face" for nothing. If there was one knock I ever had on Manning over the years it was that I wish at times he would had loosened up a bit more and had more fun, especially in big games. He was a machine, a perfectionist, brilliant. But, at times I felt he could be a tad uptight.

There are different ways to be leaders. Peyton was one here. Luck hopefully is emerging as one here and seems to have already won over a few veterans, most notably Mathis.

When it comes to personality, charm, charisma and being an all around spoksman, no one compares to Chandler Harnish. Too bad he won't be seeing much of the spotlight. Maybe someday.

When it comes to personality, charm, charisma and being an all around spoksman, no one compares to Chandler Harnish. Too bad he won't be seeing much of the spotlight. Maybe someday.

If he sticks with the team, he'll have some time on his hands to take on those responsibilities.

jk

all credit goes to Brad Wells and StampedBlue

Andrew Luck and the 2012 rookie class completed their first minicamp practice this afternoon, and already teammates and coaches are lauding Luck's leadership, intelligence, and (interestingly) his calming presence.

The always entertaining Phil Wilson of the Indianapolis Star was at minicamp, and he got some interesting statements from TE Coby Fleener and WR T.Y. Hilton.

Receiver
, a third-round draft choice, admitted he was nervous but said Luck "settled me down."

Fleener said of his friend Luck, "He's the same Andrew. He's as brilliant as ever."

He said Luck was already calling plays "with like 30 words in them."

Head coach Chuck Pagano called Luck a "natural leader."

star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg

Another interesting difference is Luck practiced today wearing a red jersey, which is a signal to defensive players that the player wearing that jersey is to receive no contact. Peyton Manning <a href="http://twitter.com/#!/TribStarTJames/status/198451893205344257" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-size: 13px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; color: rgb(22, 63, 131); text-decoration: none; font-weight: bold; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; " target="_blank">refused to wear red jerseys in practice during his stint in Indianapolis.

However, just as we note a difference between Manning and Luck, Tom James tweeted out this little bit of news:

TomJames_normal.jpg

When asked about wearing the red practice jersey, ALuck deferred to the coaching staff. It was apparent that he would rather not wear it.

The comparisons will always be made mainly because there are so many of the

I agree that when Peyton was younger he was said to be very "intense" with other players in practice. As he matured he was much easier to be a teammate of. I think it took a few big losses on his shoulder's for him to understand that no one is perfect all the time.

Spot On... a man earns his respect. It's not given to him.

But when the man has it, he may then demand it from others.

By this time next year will be reading about how Manning wasn't that good, he was more a product of the system.

Oh well, it will never be something I understand. Manning is one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game. Luck has a chance to be one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game. I don't have to knock one to compliment the other, I don't understand why some people feel it must be that way.

Esp after Andrew's FIRST 40 yard + TD run... Then all comparisons "should" cease.

heeh...ee...

Oh mercy... Peyton was a stud... We can only HOPE Andrew gets to Manning's level.

This is another example of why skip bayless is an . saying he can't be a leader like rg3 are you serious.... I'm telling u skip us only on ESPN to be argumentative and get under people's skin...to be the bad Guy!

How is Luck not a leader. Did Skip even watch the USC game? Luck throws a pick and then comes right back and wins the game in overtime. Skip is just to sold on his own opinions and it just gets on my nerves! Andrew Luck is just as much a leader as RG3. Skip just happens to neglect the USC game when he was talking about the leadership of RG3 in games. He couldn't even state a single game, he just made generalizations. He was just trying to find excuses to make Luck sound bad. Man he gets on my nerves!

Look, Peyton was (and still is) a great leader. His style of leadership is bound to be different from Andrew's, Peyton is still the best QB to ever play the game, but I hope that Andrew can come close to his talent and ability.

Andrew seems to be a good kid, with a good head on his shoulders, he has smarts, and he seems to be a natural born leader. To top it off, he has been referred to as "a gym rat" which to me equals someone who loves the game and studies it so they can be the best they can be. <<<Similarity to Peyton

I am thankful for Peyton and what he did. He will never be forgotten and will always be a favorite (if not the favorite) in Colts nation. (Just as Johnny U has a special place in any Colts fan's heart). There are going to be differences, and I honestly think that is what the writer of the article was trying to convey. I'm not going to jump on the "oh he's bashing Peyton" wagon b/c I honestly don't think that was the intent.

Looking forward to how things progress until September, and can't wait to see our team get on the field and execute in a game!

I figured out who Luck sounds like....John Madden. Actually, he sounds like a comedian imitating Madden.

People compare Luck to Manning because, frankly, he is smart. There's not that many smart players in the NFL. The stereotype of the dumb jock has a bit of truth to it...see M. Claiborne's Wonderlic. Even QB's in the NFL can be meathead's. Then comes Manning with his photographic memory and prolific study habits and he is different. Luck actually acts and talks like a Stanford techy nerd. He just happens to be great at football and loves. If not for football, he would definitely be an architect unlike most of the other NFL players who majored in Communications or Recreational Therapy.

Completely disagree, we have all seen that heated argument between Manning/Saturday and also Manning getting ticked off at many players including Brown. Honestly I liked it though, he got on players BIG time on occasions when they blew assignments. At the same time he showed praise when they did something good. That doesn't mean Manning didn't make players feel comfortable however. I hope this is something Luck develops over time, it's critical for a leader to take responsibility for his/her own actions and also let others know when they blow their own assignments. Manning did both. Luck will probably develop that over time considering he's most likely going to be with the Colts for a very long time. Manning has been so intense before he has even made me feel uncomfortable haha .

Heck he made Vanderjagt so uncomfortable that it basically ruined his career.

The Texans think that they own the AFCS. They are going to find out this year that they don't. And Andrew Luck and Coby Fleener are going to deliver the message.

It would be truly hilarious if those poor Texans went 0-2 against us in 2012.

I can't wait to see how we do in preseason, which is something else I haven't heard mentioned yet. I'm sure most of us remember the passive approach we've had in pre-season over the years. I get the feeling those days are done and we're going to see an uptempo.

It's a fun and exciting time to be a Colts fan.

I can't wait to see how we do in preseason, which is something else I haven't heard mentioned yet. I'm sure most of us remember the passive approach we've had in pre-season over the years. I get the feeling those days are done and we're going to see an uptempo.

Most def. I just wanna see how the coaches interact with the players and even see how some of the backup players perform. It truly is an exciting time. I encourage our fans to really cherrish and witness this time before it comes routine in a couple years where pre-season is a sleep session on the way to a 12 win regular season.

How is Luck not a leader. Did Skip even watch the USC game? Luck throws a pick and then comes right back and wins the game in overtime. Skip is just to sold on his own opinions and it just gets on my nerves! Andrew Luck is just as much a leader as RG3. Skip just happens to neglect the USC game when he was talking about the leadership of RG3 in games. He couldn't even state a single game, he just made generalizations. He was just trying to find excuses to make Luck sound bad. Man he gets on my nerves!

not too much on my main man skip.Somebody gotta play the other side of the fence on First Take its a debate everybody cant be on the same side

were going have to since we have two totally different playbooks and philosophies to implement.