Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Dolphins post game thread

GoColts8818

GOOD

We Won:  a W is a W no matter what.  I see people speaking on the offense, but I don’t think they understand that the dolphins have a legit defense no matter who their QB is.  We did what we had to do to win and that’s all that matters.

AR:  He would be in the meh section but because of situation he’s in the good section.  Didn’t play his best game, but this game is another example of why AR needs to play.  The first half, he was erratic and playing AWFUL.  Second half, he calmed down, threw some dots, made some plays with his legs, and got us a W.  Point blank, he can’t afford to miss games.  He has to get the reps.  He’s not some experienced rookie/1 yr pro who can miss a game and come right back and play well.  He’s an inexperienced QB who started his 9th game and finished his 5th.  Great to see his second half improvement.  

MPJ & AD:  MPJ with another game of being an absolute dog.  And AD seems to be putting it together.  3 targets, 2 catches, 30 yards.  Miami seemed to have took away the short game but our outside receivers stepped up when needed.

Run Game:  Great job by the OL and the RBs (and AR) for the great run game today.  

Shane:  he called a great game today!  Focused on the run, put AR in situations where he could use his strengths and made it easy, and the savvy call to get Miami to burn a time out was clutch!  This is what I want to see every week from Shane.  Pound the rock, make the game easy for AR, take the points.

Pass Defense:  game plan was definitely to take away hill and waddle and they executed it PERFECTLY!  

Defensive Turnovers:  Franklin and taven Bryant making crucial plays out there. 

Latu and Carlies:  rooks got his second sack!

BAD

Run Defense:  not as bad as it usually is, but still bad.  We need Buck back bad!  

Don’t really have any meh stuff to speak on or a lot of bad.  This was just an average game.  But I think a better way to put it is a developmental/growing game.  This game felt like a “back to the basics” game for us.  We’re 4-3 and hopefully AR can stay healthy and play this year out.  If anything, as I said above, this game shows why he needs the reps.  Game speed is real and he’s not going to get comfortable with it without playing.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

A lot of teams are going to be sellers at the trade deadline.  Now that we are 4-3 and with some impactful starters returning what player should the Colts be looking to acquire.

It's not going to happen, but FS and RB. Maybe a TE if a good one is available.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

A lot of teams are going to be sellers at the trade deadline.  Now that we are 4-3 and with some impactful starters returning what player should the Colts be looking to acquire.

Unlikely but I want someone like Mark Andrews. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This might be a hot take. But with how good Miami secondary is we lose with Flacco. We needed AR legs to win.

They wouldn't have blitzed like that with Flaccos in the game. Tennessee secondary was very good and we did not have Taylor just like this game. I think this game would have mirrored Tennessee game if Flacco played. I'm saying this to say I'm quite sure we score more than 16. I don't think we would need AR legs.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

“I like our guys”.  I’ll be very surprised if they bring anyone in.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The absolutely sure sack AR got out of was hilarious to me.   The Db hit him in the back square as could be and barely moved him.   He is a big strong man.    Hopefully he knocked the rust off today

Ramsey isn't a small corner either lol.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Realistically, I want us to go get a playmaking tight end.  I think that’s our weakest position group offensively.  Having that tight end that can always get open for developing qb is very crucial, and we don’t have one.  I saw someone mention him but mark andrews would be a good option.

Now my dream would be to trade for max Crosby or baker.  I think a line of latu-Stewart-buck-Crosby would be absolutely insane.  And I know Ballard likes his guys but Blackmon and baker as starting safeties is very legit.  Other than that, think we could use an upgrade at LB.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Well it’s true. Plus do people understand the secondary Miami has? 

Dont think they do.  Or the defense.  Reminds me of how everyone was surprised about falcons defense.  

I actually think Shane called a good game today.  Definitely one of the best games he’s called this year.  Gotta work on the red zone offense some but I think he was being moreso safe than aggressive with AR just coming back.  Maybe we’ll some stuff vs the Texans. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

They wouldn't have blitzed like that with Flaccos in the game. Tennessee secondary was very good and we did not have Taylor just like this game. I think this game would have mirrored Tennessee game if Flacco played. I'm saying this to say I'm quite sure we score more than 16. I don't think we would need AR legs.

This is the only thing I think might of made a difference. Clearly Flacco would be better making a team pay for the blitz. But we had a semblance of a run game with AR. Wouldn’t of had that without AR.

The Dolphins' defense did a solid job today disguising their coverages. They also had a handful of plays where AR5 had no time to do anything with the ball because of the pressure he had in his face. It's a good thing the Dolphins' offense is terrible without Tua.

Flacco would've been a sitting duck on some of those plays where AR5 could use his legs to make a play. The Franklin FF and missed FG by Miami was huge for the Colts today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Well it’s true. Plus do people understand the secondary Miami has? 

Yeah, it’s true when Ballard says it as well. I wish we had more people who had proper sight in the moment rather than living on hindsight entirely. Maybe calling plays while also supposed to be in charge as a head coach is a bad idea. Maybe if someone else was calling plays he could see that stuff and give some suggestions to change it during the game and not after the fact. 

Miami has a good secondary and yes, they kept our WRs covered well today. Too well, in fact. There was plenty of early contact on passes. 

But I want a coaching staff that can handle that adversity on Sunday afternoon in real time, and not with the benefit of hindsight afterwards. That’s what separates the wheat from the chaff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShuteAt168 said:

It was ugly but I’ll take 4-3. Winning beats losing! 

Exactly. The Vikings lost today 31-29 on a FG by the Lions with a few seconds left. The game was a great game. I would have preferred to play poorly and won.

Enjoy the win, folks.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, krunk said:

Ummm the Dolphins have the BEST overall DEFENSE in the league and the best pass defense as well. Infact, coming into this game, they’ve allowed less than 25 percent on 3rd down and held QBs to the lowest QBR in the league, Tennessee is no where near as good. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

Realistically, I want us to go get a playmaking tight end.  I think that’s our weakest position group offensively.  Having that tight end that can always get open for developing qb is very crucial, and we don’t have one.  I saw someone mention him but mark andrews would be a good option.

Now my dream would be to trade for max Crosby or baker.  I think a line of latu-Stewart-buck-Crosby would be absolutely insane.  And I know Ballard likes his guys but Blackmon and baker as starting safeties is very legit.  Other than that, think we could use an upgrade at LB.  

U make trades for guys like Crosby when u r a player away.  U also have to know how trading him affects the Raiders as he just signed a new contract, I believe. Fans and media throw around these names. However, a lot of them are not tradeable because of the dead money that hits the team when  trading them.  The tools are their on offense if AR becomes that guy. I think their biggest need is a legit corner or two and yes a rush end would be nice.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Texans defense is not as good as this dolphins defense. This was a good test for AR today.

Yeah and I think in fairness to AR, his stat line was in large part to Miami's DBs making alot of PBUs. It wasn't like AR missed a ton of throws. 

It kind of goes back to some of the points raised earlier this season, in that Steichen has still a good bit of work to do to bring the best out of AR. Aside from some deep shots and QB runs, he hasn't been able to get AR in rhythm yet. It's certainly a relationship that's a work in progress anyway.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

It's not going to happen, but FS and RB. Maybe a TE if a good one is available.

TE positio. and their  lack of success is what is most alarming to me. Lots of athleticism out there but for some reason no one has established themselves. Quiet odd to say the least. A TE is usually a young qbs best friend.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Texans defense is not as good as this dolphins defense. This was a good test for AR today.

True, but their offense is a lot better than the last two teams.  

Our offense has to do more as far as ToP.   Hope JT is back.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

TE positio. and their  lack of success is what is most alarming to me. Lots of athleticism out there but for some reason no one has established themselves. Quiet odd to say the least. A TE is usually a young qbs best friend.

How does a receiver have success when the QB is struggling and trying to learn how to play his position. Pierce will be waisted in the meantime.