Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bradley Interview

compuls1v3

Gus will get fired and nothing else will change.

After the Colts finish with a top 15 pick its going to be the same thing.

Ballard will say “Look, we didn’t get it done. I will hold myself accountable and I didn’t give us enough to do go win games. Look We had some tough injuries. Things just didn’t go our way. I still believe in these young guys.”

Ballard mentioned in his earlier years that he will spend to get the team over the top. Once he believed the Colts were close to a championship he would be willing to risk more to get some guys to put it all together. Problem is, we haven’t even been close because of his poor decisions and stubbornness. 

Okay rant over.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I'll save you the headache:

"We gotta make plays" 

"Limit explosive plays" 

"Do we think our front can win?" 

"We make contact but aren't finishing"

"Driving for 5" 

"Checkdown got some yards, so we went man, they hit a screen, we had to regroup" 

"Win the 1 on 1's" 

"We're taking a good look at that" 

Really should just say "We know how they play, we just don't adjust" 

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2024 at 7:25 AM, lollygagger8 said:

I'll save you the headache:

"We gotta make plays" 

"Limit explosive plays" 

"Do we think our front can win?" 

"We make contact but aren't finishing"

"Driving for 5" 

"Checkdown got some yards, so we went man, they hit a screen, we had to regroup" 

"Win the 1 on 1's" 

"We're taking a good look at that" 

Really should just say "We know how they play, we just don't adjust" 

Ballard "We like our guys"

• Like 2

On 10/10/2024 at 3:33 AM, Bravo said:

Ballard will say “Look, we didn’t get it done. I will hold myself accountable and I didn’t give us enough to do go win games. Look We had some tough injuries. Things just didn’t go our way. I still believe in these young guys.”

Ballard mentioned in his earlier years that he will spend to get the team over the top. Once he believed the Colts were close to a championship he would be willing to risk more to get some guys to put it all together. Problem is, we haven’t even been close because of his poor decisions and stubbornness. 

Okay rant over.

You left out "That's a loaded question! "You guys know me," "We're not gonna flinch," "We like our guys," and "It's tough to win in this league."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I expect the colt defense to play well  vs Tennessee  because it has been getting a lot of criticism and a good showing will take some heat off Bradley for a while and Ballard for still sticking with him and hiring him in the first place. 

Anyway, if I were a script writer that's how I would have the Titan game play out......maybe even a Colt win too!

3-3 baby!!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Explain to us what Ballard is supposed to say.  Ballard has done a good job except the hiring of Gus. 

Hey, I've been one of the biggest Ballard supporters in the forum. 

I was making a joke, because he has a list of quotes that you can guarantee he'll use every few press conferences.

Having said that, hiring Gus is not his only mistake. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ballard should be right there next to Gus answering questions about doubling down on this meh type defense that's neither top tier nor dominant. A defense that's been ranked 28th out of 32 teams in points allowed two seasons in a row and is now ranked dead last overall while also maintaining a nearly last place spot in nearly every major defensive category.

Even though Gus is not very good at his job he still commands a defense void of top tier talent outside maybe a couple and what I mean by top tier are special types that can change a game, difference makers or shutdown types. Our starting low rd linebackers are ok at best. The secondary has a collection of unproven or oft injured JAG types in which one was coming off an Achilles tear and was just released. Outside maybe Buckner (who was not drafted by Ballard) the

d-line is avg.

In the end the talent is NOT good enough for a man thats been on the job nearly eight yrs but hey Ballard loves his guys!!! The problem is so does every opposing qb and offense.... 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, DattMavis said:

Hey, I've been one of the biggest Ballard supporters in the forum. 

I was making a joke, because he has a list of quotes that you can guarantee he'll use every few press conferences.

Having said that, hiring Gus is not his only mistake. 

I never insinuated that Ballard has not made mistakes.  I said he has done a good job as GM. There isn't a GM in the league that hasn't had their share of mistakes or misses.  

• Like 1

I am very good at what I do for a living. I make mistakes all the time. 

Ballard’s problem is that he makes mistakes sometimes. I believe he is a good GM who rather deftly navigates circumstances that are frequently out of his control. I like him. 

Gus’ problem is that his defenses consistently perform poorly. He has talent to work with but they are frequently found out of position. He has control over these lapses. It is my opinion that Gus’ problem is not one of making mistakes.

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I never insinuated that Ballard has not made mistakes.  I said he has done a good job as GM. There isn't a GM in the league that hasn't had their share of mistakes or misses.  

My big problem with Ballard right now is that everybody and their brother knew that we had roster deficiencies in our defensive backfield.  I don’t blame him for the injuries.  But I do blame him for his utter negligence in preparing for them.

I can’t remember which Colts podcaster it was, but one of them relayed a story about an unnamed rival head coach even expressing surprised pleasure at Ballard making a half-hearted run at Snead, followed up by no offer at all for Simmons and Diggs.

When you have opposing coaches mocking your decisions to your own team’s beat media, perhaps it’s time to reevaluate if maybe you were wrong and everybody else was right.

But Ballard doesn’t seem inclined to even question himself until after everything has crashed into the ground.  He’s awfully cocksure for a GM who’s had such mediocre results.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, lester said:

I am very good at what I do for a living. I make mistakes all the time. 

Ballard’s problem is that he makes mistakes sometimes. I believe he is a good GM who rather deftly navigates circumstances that are frequently out of his control. I like him. 

Gus’ problem is that his defenses consistently perform poorly. He has talent to work with but they are frequently found out of position. He has control over these lapses. It is my opinion that Gus’ problem is not one of making mistakes.

I see it differently.  If I was Gus Bradley, I’d be livid at Chris Ballard for not giving him the personnel and depth he needs for his defense to be effective.

Granted, Gus seems just as hard-headed in terms of being reluctant to change his schemes to better match his players’ strengths and weaknesses.  And that’s on him.

But the fact that our defensive roster was so thin everywhere but the DL, the fact that we have starters who wouldn’t be starting anywhere else, the fact that Ballard rostered Dallis Flowers despite it being abundantly clear in the preseason that he wasn’t capable of being even a backup CB let alone a starter, the fact there were free agents available and money left under the cap…

…that’s all on Ballard, not Bradley.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Ballard should be right there next to Gus answering questions about doubling down on this meh type defense that's neither top tier nor dominant. A defense that's been ranked 28th out of 32 teams in points allowed two seasons in a row and is now ranked dead last overall while also maintaining a nearly last place spot in nearly every major defensive category.

Even though Gus is not very good at his job he still commands a defense void of top tier talent outside maybe a couple and what I mean by top tier are special types that can change a game, difference makers or shutdown types. Our starting low rd linebackers are ok at best. The secondary has a collection of unproven or oft injured JAG types in which one was coming off an Achilles tear and was just released. Outside maybe Buckner (who was not drafted by Ballard) the

d-line is avg.

In the end the talent is NOT good enough for a man thats been on the job nearly eight yrs but hey Ballard loves his guys!!! The problem is so does every opposing qb and offense.... 

I don’t think the d-line is that bad. I have been saying for over 10 years the colts lb’s are not very good with the exception of Leonard for what, 2 years. I really think better lb’s that are more aggressive would make a big difference in the secondary’s coverage. Qb’s are too good to not make them uncomfortable. It’s coaching and talent at lb in my oppinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, luv_pony_express said:

My big problem with Ballard right now is that everybody and their brother knew that we had roster deficiencies in our defensive backfield.  I don’t blame him for the injuries.  But I do blame him for his utter negligence in preparing for them.

I can’t remember which Colts podcaster it was, but one of them relayed a story about an unnamed rival head coach even expressing surprised pleasure at Ballard making a half-hearted run at Snead, followed up by no offer at all for Simmons and Diggs.

When you have opposing coaches mocking your decisions to your own team’s beat media, perhaps it’s time to reevaluate if maybe you were wrong and everybody else was right.

But Ballard doesn’t seem inclined to even question himself until after everything has crashed into the ground.  He’s awfully cocksure for a GM who’s had such mediocre results.

I couldn't care less for what other coaches or GMs have to say about Ballard.  The problems that Ballard faces is no different than any other GM. Every GM in the league is looking for secondary players. The athletic ability of the WRs along with the rules, makes it next to impossible to cover the entire field. 

The key is putting pressure on the opposing QB. Ballard has made it a priority to bring in pass rushers. It is the inability of Bradley to utilize the players he has that is a larger problem. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jemack said:

Too many solid teams ahead of us. We're missing the playoffs regardless, at this point. Fire Guss, promote from within, and begin a list of availables for next off season.

I'd rather lose with a LB coach promoted to DC, than to lose with an actual DC with a terrible system.

Either way, we're picking between 10 to 15 in the draft.

Please, call me out to eat crow. I'd love to be wrong.

• Like 3

On 10/10/2024 at 4:33 AM, Bravo said:

Okay rant over.

Ballard is out of excuses, and that's the bottom line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

I see it differently.  If I was Gus Bradley, I’d be livid at Chris Ballard for not giving him the personnel and depth he needs for his defense to be effective.

Granted, Gus seems just as hard-headed in terms of being reluctant to change his schemes to better match his players’ strengths and weaknesses.  And that’s on him.

But the fact that our defensive roster was so thin everywhere but the DL, the fact that we have starters who wouldn’t be starting anywhere else, the fact that Ballard rostered Dallis Flowers despite it being abundantly clear in the preseason that he wasn’t capable of being even a backup CB let alone a starter, the fact there were free agents available and money left under the cap…

…that’s all on Ballard, not Bradley.

I truly don’t believe a Gus defense would be that much better with better players. It’s become antiquated, and he’s incapable of adjusting. More blitzing and some press coverages together with different Cover looks would be helpful. But he’s not going there. IMO, so long as Gus Bradley is the DC, the Colts D will be mediocre. 

That doesn’t excuse Ballard’s mistakes with personnel, but the biggest problem is Gus. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I couldn't care less for what other coaches or GMs have to say about Ballard.  The problems that Ballard faces is no different than any other GM. Every GM in the league is looking for secondary players. The athletic ability of the WRs along with the rules, makes it next to impossible to cover the entire field. 

The key is putting pressure on the opposing QB. Ballard has made it a priority to bring in pass rushers. It is the inability of Bradley to utilize the players he has that is a larger problem. 

Latu is just a rookie, waaay to early to tell if he'll pan out, but Ballard has struck out on pass rushers IMHO.  I hope Latu ends this trend.

• Like 1

I thought the Bradley interview was interesting. Definitely sounded like a guy on the hot seat.  Gave a lot more detail of their coverages.  

It seems to me that Gus has been mixing things up more this year. The blitz rate is higher.  I think they’re middle of the pack.  They aren’t leading the league in Cover 3. I think they’re 8th or 9th.  Just not getting it done. 

I found it interesting when he admitted the corners may need to play less off the receiver and more closer to the LOS. 

6 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I thought the Bradley interview was interesting. Definitely sounded like a guy on the hot seat.  Gave a lot more detail of their coverages.  

It seems to me that Gus has been mixing things up more this year. The blitz rate is higher.  I think they’re middle of the pack.  They aren’t leading the league in Cover 3. I think they’re 8th or 9th.  Just not getting it done. 

I found it interesting when he admitted the corners may need to play less off the receiver and more closer to the LOS. 

I mean he could’ve figured that out 2 yrs ago

• Like 1