Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AR vs Bryce Young

azcolt

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I was talking the game over with my buddy who is a Bears fan and he brought up a good point.  When you are in high school your best athlete plays QB.  It’s not really until you get to college that they really start working on mechanics and footwork.  Richardson has had what 20 starts since high school?  He hasn’t learned it yet and is still leaning on his being an athlete to get by.  The problem is in the NFL he’s not that significantly better than the other athletes to get by on that alone.  So it’s going to take time for him to learn it which as much as Colts fans don’t want to hear this anymore means requiring patience.  However long it took a guy like Manning, Luck, or Flacco to figure it out it’s probably going to take him longer and we know from Flacco’s own mouth it took him 20 games in the NFL to figure it out and that was with a lot of college starts.  

I just posted pretty much the same thing in another thread. If the colts didn’t have a lot of talent, you can live with him learning and loosing on the job, but I think the colts have playoff talent and shouldn’t be throwing the season away on the hope he turns into a top qb.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, husker61 said:

I just posted pretty much the same thing in another thread. If the colts didn’t have a lot of talent, you can live with him learning and loosing on the job, but I think the colts have playoff talent and shouldn’t be throwing the season away on the hope he turns into a top qb.

What did you think of the bull crap REFS in the Huskers game. At the end, not only did our WR get targeted but got hit late out of bounds. These REFS suck now days.

10 hours ago, azcolt said:

NFL.com stats show Bryce Young dead last in qb Rating. AR is just above him, which proves we don’t have the worst qb in the NFL yet. Maybe after the Steelers get done with him, but not yet.

Too bad AR isn’t an MLB relief pitcher. Imagine the fear he would strike in hitters with a 100+ mph fastball going god knows where.

The thing is he just needs to play that’s it. Instead of him getting experience in college he is getting NFL experience he is still youngest starting QB in NFL. It is ugly and I mean ugly but let give it till the 5th year option to see 

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What did you think of the bull crap REFS in the Huskers game. At the end, not only did our WR get targeted but got hit late out of bounds. These REFS suck now days.

im just happy they have a qb that can make plays and doesn’t give games away! Refs have always made bad calls, some for and some against. I don’t dwell on them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

The thing is he just needs to play that’s it. Instead of him getting experience in college he is getting NFL experience he is still youngest starting QB in NFL. It is ugly and I mean ugly but let give it till the 5th year option to see 

you are willing to loose for 4 years? Not me!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, a06cc said:

We should’ve sat him last season, but we’re here now 

Listen him getting hurt really really set us back, he didn’t have a lot of game reps and he coming off major surgery. Just coming back from surgery would be a lot but he has to get game reps and the expectation is higher from last season when he would have had a pass on mistakes. He just needs time on task 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, husker61 said:

im just happy they have a qb that can make plays and doesn’t give games away! Refs have always made bad calls, some for and some against. I don’t dwell on them.

Yeah I think Dylan is the real deal, he is just freshman too. The loss bothered me all night though.

5 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Maybe Flacco will be our Andy Dalton if/when we lose enough games.

Don’t care about winning a few games or in a few years being in Super Bowl contention. It takes time and to compete with aliens you need a alien we just have to build him up are own 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, husker61 said:

I don’t want to lose any games I love winning……but I want to see improvement as we go on this roller coaster journey. It takes time let’s see where we are in week 8-9 and then reevaluate again in week 17-18. If it’s all about winning Shane has to run the football and ride Taylor and let AR hit the bombs if teams stack the box. But we are throwing to much and he is turning the ball over to much. We have to tighten that all up. I know it’s hard it kills me to watch some of the misses but I’m trying to be patient 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, a06cc said:

Yeah because it’s been 5 years and we still can’t get the Quarterback situation solidified. I’m giving it until week 8 or 9. He has to improve by then

Whatever the issues were with the previous years, those are not the problem for AR.   The kid has to be given a fair opportunity.   And trying to determine his future by the middle of year 2 is simply not going to happen.  Richardson only gets experience by playing.   Period.  

Irsay knows it.  Ballard knows it.  Steichen knows it.   

You’re entitled to any opinion you want, but if you stick to a deadline of mid-season year 2, I think you’re headed to serious disappointment. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

Some fans have never dealt with a rookie QB and it clearly shows. Imagine if the bills were as impatient as some fans here are.

How true.  Most fail to remember that Manning won 2 games his rookie season while breaking the interception record.

• Like 1

I will defend those that appear impatient with AR...I think for most of them its not that we are in the second season of AR and he is essentially a rookie, I think the patience level is low because we had all of those years of re-treads with promises and hopes un-realized just to have to wait patiently some more for a long term development QB like AR.......its more than just two seasons mentally waiting for QB hope AR is just at the end of the stick and getting the brunt of the frustration. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, husker61 said:

Husky, you need a snickers!

Falling apart this quick looks bad on you as a FB fan.

If he is still playing by mid 2025 with what looks like a low FB IQ, and sailing passes not within a country mile of his targets, then we can all freak out.

He has a lot to learn and he needs time with a throwing Guru.

And you never know when the light will come on.. lol

13 hours ago, ColtAndOrioles said:

I am really honestly bewildered by all of the AR hate on this forum. It blows my mind tbh,    For the life of me I cannot understand it.  We finally drafted a QB with a super super high ceiling....think Josh Allen but maybe even higher.....after 5 years of old retreads...and people are laying into this guy like I haven't seen since Jeff George or Ryan Leaf.  It really makes me think and go "hmmmmm".  I have my opinions as to why but I will leave it at that. 

There were many here who preferred Stroud (the better passer) in the pre-draft process. And like 99% of Colts fans wanted nothing to do with Levis. Your opinions are wrong. 

4 hours ago, Crunked said:

I will defend those that appear impatient with AR...I think for most of them its not that we are in the second season of AR and he is essentially a rookie, I think the patience level is low because we had all of those years of re-treads with promises and hopes un-realized just to have to wait patiently some more for a long term development QB like AR.......its more than just two seasons mentally waiting for QB hope AR is just at the end of the stick and getting the brunt of the frustration. 

Yep. The current mindset of the fanbase after the past few years has certainly contributed to the impatience.

I think we can all agree it's far too early to write off AR. But to have valid concerns? Absolutely. And there's more to it than that just people being impatient:

1. Since before he was drafted, AR has been hyped as a potential superstar. So the expectations for (most of) the fanbase are/were sky high. So hard to blame people who bought into that for having concerns about his current status as a passer.

2. At the end of last season, the Colts were "one play away from the playoffs with a backup QB." Many people (including members of the FO, coaching staff, players, local media, Colts bloggers and podcasters) referenced this in the offseason. The implication was that not only was this a good team, but AR returning would put this team over the top...and would have done so last year.

3. During last season, when AR was actually a rookie, many people did not like the term "project QB." They would say AR was actually much further along than that. But fast forward to the following season and some passing struggles...and we are supposed to see him as a project QB?

4. AR's lack of experience was a major reason people were skeptical about drafting him. So to use that lack of experience to lecture those same people about impatience is sort of just proving their point.

5. AR is currently a bottom 2-3 passer in the NFL, with INTs on 8% of his passes. Not much more to say on this...except to note that he's doing it with one of the best OLs in the NFL, good WRs and a great run game. And his passing has actually regressed from last year, when we would hope to see some improvement.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Yep. The current mindset of the fanbase after the past few years has certainly contributed to the impatience.

I think we can all agree it's far too early to write off AR. But to have valid concerns? Absolutely. And there's more to it than that just people being impatient:

1. Since before he was drafted, AR has been hyped as a potential superstar. So the expectations for (most of) the fanbase are/were sky high. So hard to blame people who bought into that for having concerns about his current status as a passer.

2. At the end of last season, the Colts were "one play away from the playoffs with a backup QB." Many people (including members of the FO, coaching staff, players, local media, Colts bloggers and podcasters) referenced this in the offseason. The implication was that not only was this a good team, but AR returning would put this team over the top...and would have done so last year.

3. During last season, when AR was actually a rookie, many people did not like the term "project QB." They would say AR was actually much further along than that. But fast forward to the following season and some passing struggles...and we are supposed to see him as a project QB?

4. AR's lack of experience was a major reason people were skeptical about drafting him. So to use that lack of experience to lecture those same people about impatience is sort of just proving their point.

5. AR is currently a bottom 2-3 passer in the NFL, with INTs on 8% of his passes. Not much more to say on this...except to note that he's doing it with one of the best OLs in the NFL, good WRs and a great run game. And his passing has actually regressed from last year, when we would hope to see some improvement.

He needs to finish  the season healthy so he can continue  to work on mechanics. 

21 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Yes. His combine performance put him squarely into the limelight of the media. Personalities like Rich Eisen then lauded him over and over again and over hyped this team. 

22 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

This is unfortunate, because it puts Richardson into a no win situation. The fandom has spent years and years waiting for us to get back to the playoffs, and it looks like we'll have to wait even longer. He's not to blame for all of the reasons we are 1-2, but his inaccuracy is a major reason why we can't sustain drives. Fans are tired. 

23 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Yes. Agreed. I was one who saw him as a project and then was surprised with how far along he was at reading defenses and his pocket awareness. It was better than anticipated. 

I honestly think his shoulder injury screwed him up more than I want to admit to myself. His confidence appears shaken. He's reacting to players getting open instead of anticipating them being open. That's a flip from last season. 

Last season by the Titans game you could tell he was starting to figure things out. He was making good reads and good throws. He was even inching closer to 60% completions.... And then that friggin' hit happened... 

It really looks like he lost that "feel" for throwing. Almost as if the shoulder is so brand new he hasn't been able to fully grow into it yet. Maybe he never will. I really don't know at this point... 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yes. His combine performance put him squarely into the limelight of the media. Personalities like Rich Eisen then lauded him over and over again and over hyped this team. 

This is unfortunate, because it puts Richardson into a no win situation. The fandom has spent years and years waiting for us to get back to the playoffs, and it looks like we'll have to wait even longer. He's not to blame for all of the reasons we are 1-2, but his inaccuracy is a major reason why we can't sustain drives. Fans are tired. 

Yes. Agreed. I was one who saw him as a project and then was surprised with how far along he was at reading defenses and his pocket awareness. It was better than anticipated. 

I honestly think his shoulder injury screwed him up more than I want to admit to myself. His confidence appears shaken. He's reacting to players getting open instead of anticipating them being open. That's a flip from last season. 

Last season by the Titans game you could tell he was starting to figure things out. He was making good reads and good throws. He was even inching closer to 60% completions.... And then that friggin' hit happened... 

It really looks like he lost that "feel" for throwing. Almost as if the shoulder is so brand new he hasn't been able to fully grow into it yet. Maybe he never will. I really don't know at this point... 

Its entirely possible that the shoulder injury has messed his mechanics up even worse.

Watching him, he does not throw the ball consistently.

Sometimes he winds up and throws, and sometimes he does the sidearm fast flick pass.

Its really hard to get consistent mechanics if your changing the way you throw all the time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

QB have to continually work on mechanics. I think him not being able to throw for five or six months really hurt. I really don’t think it will take much time to get it back. 

1 minute ago, ADnum1 said:

Its entirely possible that the shoulder injury has messed his mechanics up even worse.

Watching him, he does not throw the ball consistently.

Sometimes he winds up and throws, and sometimes he does the sidearm fast flick pass.

Its really hard to get consistent mechanics if your changing the way you throw all the time.

I don’t think it screwed them up but not being able to throw or do foot work on them for 5 or six months did. 

12 hours ago, husker61 said:

If this were Ballard's 2nd year as GM, you might see the organization be a little more patient with Richardson, but with Ballard in his 8th year, with the way Richardson looks, with the overall state of the team, the odds of Ballard still being here next year are not good IMO.  The new GM will want to turn the page, find his own guy, and start anew.  If Richardson continues down this path, I hghly doubt he will be part of the new GM's plans moving forward.

30 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Valid points all around. If that injury was a setback that stunted his growth and shook his confidence, then I fear what stacking a few more games like GB of CHI could do. 

After the terrible 2022 season, I feel like AR was a convenient silver bullet to build back up the fanbase and fan morale. And Colts content creators leaned into that. Even the team did to an extent, minus some comments from Ballard about not crowning him yet.

That's understandable, but to the degree that it was done, really wasn't and hasn't been fair to him because it set such high expectations for a young guy who hasn't really played all that much and had never taken an NFL snap.

6 minutes ago, #12. said:

If this were Ballard's 2nd year as GM, you might see the organization be a little more patient with Richardson, but with Ballard in his 8th year, with the way Richardson looks, with the overall state of the team, the odds of Ballard still being here next year are not good IMO.  The new GM will want to turn the page, find his own guy, and start anew.  If Richardson continues down this path, I hghly doubt he will be part of the new GM's plans moving forward.

lol 

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

lol 

?

If Richardson continues to look like this, you do think the next GM who had nothing to do with the Richardson pick will continue on with him?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He won’t stop over reacting 

It's not the 1980s.  Bottom level QBs aren't generally given a half a decade to prove themselves, especially when they already have some major injury history.  In 2024, teams move on fairly quickly(see Bryce Young). That's especially true if a new person might be in charge.

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

How true.  Most fail to remember that Manning won 2 games his rookie season while breaking the interception record.

Manning looked the part of a future great NFL qb from day 1, even though it took him a year to acclimate to the higher level of competition. He had all the skills and the football smarts.

AR looks like a guy with fabulous but raw athletic skills who looks like anything but a future great NFL qb. If there was a career performing NFL Combine skills he’d probably be an all-time great. He’ll either be a bust or develop into a serviceable qb in four or five years when he is long gone from the Colts.

Too bad he mostly skipped college development. He needed it.

7 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Manning looked the part of a future great NFL qb from day 1, even though it took him a year to acclimate to the higher level of competition. He had all the skills and the football smarts.

AR looks like a guy with fabulous but raw athletic skills who looks like anything but a future great NFL qb. If there was a career performing NFL Combine skills he’d probably be an all-time great. He’ll either be a bust or develop into a serviceable qb in four or five years when he is long gone from the Colts.

Too bad he mostly skipped college development. He needed it.

How many college starts did manning have?

The AR hate on this forum is nauseating. This place sounds like Twitter/X and casuals on the YouTube comment section at times. 

I've never wanted a QB to succeed as much as AR. Kid has a good head on his shoulders and all the right tools to get it done. Will he? I don't know but I'm going along for the ride. 

Apologies to those who thought AR was going to bring us a super bowl title this season. Sorry that he's not lighting up your fantasy football league, either.

Reality check: he needs experience to improve. It's comical to those fans who think he should sit. How is sitting him on the bench going to make him better at getting in-game experience? Those who want Flacco to start are even funnier. He's not bringing us a title this year either. I'm sure watching Flacco play will make AR finally realize his potential!

There are 31 other teams you can root for instead of sitting here wasting your energy hating on AR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, shasta519 said:

I disagree with a lot of this. I started to go point by point, but I think we'd just be talking in extremes. 

Here's my rebuttal. I think seeing the reality of trying to develop a raw, inexperienced QB is a shock to a lot of people. And the interruption to Richardson's develop in 2023 makes it worse. Yes, he's in his second season, but he missed 13 games as a rookie, and like any other QB, he needs to play to get better. He's played seven games.

Since this is the path the team has chosen -- whether anyone agrees with it or not -- it seems unreasonable to constantly complain about the rugged nature of the path. And it seems downright crazy to talk about benching him in order to salvage some wins.

A lot of the discourse around Richardson right now is not just lacking in patience, it's also lacking in reason. So it's not just pushback because people have valid, legitimate concerns about him. It's mostly pushback because people are judging him against an unreasonable standard, given the reality of the situation. 

• Like 2

Richardson missed most of the 2023 season, so of course he is rusty at times.  I think he has played well despite some inconsistencies. There probably would  be critics even if Richardson took the Colts to the SB and had a perfect QB rating. Some people will be negative no matter what. 

• Like 1

I understand the frustration but keeping expectations in check is what is needed at this point of ARs career.  I'm not making excuses for him but I'm 

not going to jump on the hate bandwagon either. The history of the NFL tells us that pre judging any player in the beginning of their career is wrong but kinda narrow minded. What I see so far is a very talented raw player. If and when the game slows down for him hold the judgment till then. 

37 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

Richardson missed most of the 2023 season, so of course he is rusty at times.  I think he has played well despite some inconsistencies. There probably would  be critics even if Richardson took the Colts to the SB and had a perfect QB rating. Some people will be negative no matter what. 

Really good points here. It’s not like he is not handling the blitz or getting overwhelmed not understanding the game. He is making all the right plays. He just needs to settle down and hit the layups. It would be much more worrying if he wasn’t  even seeing the layups.