Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you see any progress with Richardson?

Smonroe

4 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

He's going to be here at least through 2025 season wether you like it or not. Why don't you find another team to root for until then and come back only if he becomes a great QB. I think that's the best path you and the other impatient know it alls should take.

Huh?  I expect him to be here in 2025 (like Ballard and Shane even if we go 3-14).  I expected last year to be a throw away season because AR had to play his rookie season despite sucking.  But he only played 4 games, so this is the year he has to play while sucking.  You think 4 games last year, like early in the year, means he takes a step...at all?  

Why don't you go get easily triggered and lash out at folks on another forum and stop taking every post that has reason in it like its an affront to the phony positivity bubbles that a person must live in to post here.

• Like 6

AR is not a natural passer and he may not ever develop into one. Other QBs throw it much more easily and seemingly naturally compared to him. 

If he can handle the cerebral part of being a Top QB and work out his accuracy then he can make it as a franchise QB and his long passing threat and mobility is a huge plus. It takes time and lots of work AND proper coaching. 

There are lots of losing franchises that draft QBs high and miss or fail to develop them. Hopefully, AR will have the support he needs to have a shot of succeeding. 

18 hours ago, jimmy g said:

U of Wyoming Cowboys are Division 1. Mountain West Conference.

Buffalo probably wanted Allen because he had proven that he could throw in Wyoming’s snow and 50 mph winds….

That's right. I was actually thinking of NDSU, but they too are D1. 

My point was more that Allen didn't play at an SEC school or anything. Some of his issues were due to surrounding players, which made it hard to gauge. With NFL-caliber pass catchers, he was able to fix some of those issues. 

AR's issues from college has for persisted, even with the improvement in OL, RB and pass catchers. 

On 9/24/2024 at 2:11 PM, DougDew said:

Well, as QB he kinda sucked in college, and he had only 4 games last year which really means nothing, so I haven't seen much progress beyond suck so far.  I can't think of any excuse that would mitigate that conclusion.

But he should continue to play, because it was never thought this team is that good, so its not like playing him hurts anything.

How is Will Levis doing, the guy you wanted. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

AR is not a natural passer and he may not ever develop into one. Other QBs throw it much more easily and seemingly naturally compared to him. 

If he can handle the cerebral part of being a Top QB and work out his accuracy then he can make it as a franchise QB and his long passing threat and mobility is a huge plus. It takes time and lots of work AND proper coaching. 

There are lots of losing franchises that draft QBs high and miss or fail to develop them. Hopefully, AR will have the support he needs to have a shot of succeeding. 

You and I agree on a lot of things but there I disagree. 

If you really watch his arm motion while throwing, he actually has a very natural pass throwing motion.  It is very fluid, very natural, very smooth.  Free flowing.    One of the best I have seen to be honest. 

But he is so unrefined, especially after not being able to throw for 9 months full force, that he has lost some of his confidence right now.  He reminds me of a gangling colt racehorse who has all the ability in the world but no idea how to race. 

Compare his arm and shoulder motion to a Mahomes.  Very similar.  Even compare him to a Bert Jones who I think was one of the best pure passers of all time.  He could spin it.    Kind of similar. 

Do not compare his motion to a Brady or a Manning.  They were much more rigid and technical.  And that is for a very simple reason.  They did not have the pure athletic ability that an AR has.  So they had to perfect the 'perfect football throwing motion' to be a good passer.  And then when you added in their football IQ?  That is what made them so great.  Not elite athleticism.

AR has elite athleticism.  Hopefully he can use that and progress with football IQ instead of relying on that athleticism exclusively. 

• Like 1

Question..during the joint training camp venture with the Bengals, it was stated by Bengal defenders AR throws to spots on the field and not anticipating to open receivers. Any credence to that as to the low completion % and int's? Totally unrelated but reminds me of the playoff game vs Chargers where Manning threw multiple picks. Throwing to a "spot" on the field where the WR read something different and made Peyton look like he threw it right to the defender.    

Just now, SOMDColtsfan said:

Question..during the joint training camp venture with the Bengals, it was stated by Bengal defenders AR throws to spots on the field and not anticipating to open receivers. Any credence to that as to the low completion % and int's? Totally unrelated but reminds me of the playoff game vs Chargers where Manning threw multiple picks. Throwing to a "spot" on the field where the WR read something different and made Peyton look like he threw it right to the defender.    

Um.  First let me say.   I think AR will be fine.    But the throw to Pittman that sailed 6 feet over his head wasn't thrown to any "spot" Pittman could have gotten to.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yeah it is kind of strange because everything that I gleaned from training camp was that AR was not very accurate.   This year.  Not last.

Usually because of the lack of being touched and the general easy time for the QB, a traing camp qb will complete 70% of their passes....at least.

AR was not close to that this fall.   Which was to be expected.

1 hour ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

I don't think so. The Bengals were talking smack, I think it's fine to dismiss everything they said.

The QB needs to throw with anticipation (something Richardson does not get enough credit for, IMO). When that happens, there's a possibility that something will go wrong. That's not an accuracy issue, that's a reps/chemistry/circumstance issue (like Granson going the wrong way, or when a receiver falls down, etc.) And it's something that should get better as the QB gets more experience, and the receivers get dialed in with him. I don't think this is a problem with Richardson.

His accuracy issues are almost entirely about mechanics. Mostly his footwork. He's rushing, and his mechanics are faltering, leading to overthrows. Against the Bears, the Pittman overthrow, Richardson's feet aren't even on the ground. He has a clean pocket, and plenty of space in front of him. It's possible that he saw Pittman late and rushed it, but I think he just got excited and ripped the throw, and his footwork was all wrong. He's made similar errors throughout the year. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Throwing to spots is anticipation. Both the Dulin TD and the Pierce TD game one were both thrown to a spot  before the reciever made their break. That’s good stuff. They were both anticipatory throws.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Question..during the joint training camp venture with the Bengals, it was stated by Bengal defenders AR throws to spots on the field and not anticipating to open receivers.  

Yeah, I remember that statement... which was imbecilic. Throwing to a spot like that is to anticipate that the receiver will be open in that spot by the time the ball gets there. It's called a timing pattern/throw. I'm not explaining this to you so much as just generally to the Bengal that said it.

And besides, considering how bad the Bengals defense is right now, they don't have much room to criticize anything at all.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

How is Will Levis doing, the guy you wanted. 

I didn't want Levis.  I was QB agnostic after CAR had already traded up to 1 and I knew Stroud would not be there at 4.  Stroud was my favorite and I said so, particularly in the face of everybody wanting a running QB and not the most drop back-ish looking QB.   Their misplaced criteria, not mine.

I've told you this before. It must be that your subconscious keeps driving you to forget that I tell you in order to justify some emotion based beef you have with me.  Others read stuff into my posts too, to satisfy their idea of what somebody who writes untrendy opinions must be thinking.

As far as Levis, I said before the draft and still now, he has all of the tools and can make all of the throws right now, but he plays like Wentz 2.0.  If he would eliminate the bone-head mistakes, he would probably be a top 15 QB.  Its probably easier to shed bad mistakes if they are driven by youthful impatience and immaturity than it is to teach a QB how to throw a football at an NFL level, but that doesn't mean I want Levis.  Nor does it mean I think he is a better prospect than AR.  What it means is that I was not thrilled with either QB, but would support whomever the Colts took. 

And supporting the Colts QB does not mean I need to bag on Levis, especially making fun of him for stuff that doesn't matter like mayo or his muscles.  I can point out when Levis does well, and that doesn't mean I think he's better than AR nor does it mean I wish the Colts drafted him.

Also, if I say that AR sucks, its because I don't let my eyes lie to my brain simply because I want to feel happy and optimistic...and then lash out at others when they don't help me maintain the charade I need.

Stroud-Yes.  Levis-meh.  AR-meh, Young-No, is what I said before the draft, and still do now,  Except that I hope that AR puts it together because he's the Colt.  REMEMBER THAT!  Thanks.

42 minutes ago, DougDew said:

As far as Levis, I said before the draft and still now, he has all of the tools and can make all of the throws right now, but he plays like Wentz 2.0.  If he would eliminate the bone-head mistakes, he would probably be a top 15 QB.  Its probably easier to shed bad mistakes if they are driven by youthful impatience and immaturity than it is to teach a QB how to throw a football at an NFL level, but that doesn't mean I want Levis.  Nor does it mean I think he is a better prospect than AR.  What it means is that I was not thrilled with either QB, but would support whomever the Colts took. 

Agree 100%. It seems far easier to get Levis to stop doing 1-2 bone-headed things per game...than it is that AR becomes the type of passer he's never been. Many Colts fans think it's the other way around though.

But logistically, you are talking about changing 1-2 things for Levis vs. maybe 10 things for AR in a single game.

Since all the video breakdowns from guys like JT O'Sullivan/Dan O./Baldinger mysteriously stopped or just don't get posted here anymore, here is a :40 cut-up of bad passes from the Bears game:

Levis doesn't seem to have the same issues we see here with AR. And to be fair, the INT that got called back due to forward progress against the Bears was about as Wentz-like as it gets. And the play before that AR did an intentional grounding that didn't get called.

So AR is also not immune to silly mistakes either.

I don't know what will happen with either QB, but I do find it strange how quick some Colts fans are to trash Levis but get upset whenever there is valid AR criticism. And it's not just because he's a Titan...this started well before he was drafted. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ColtAndOrioles said:

Yeah it is kind of strange because everything that I gleaned from training camp was that AR was not very accurate.   This year.  Not last.

Usually because of the lack of being touched and the general easy time for the QB, a traing camp qb will complete 70% of their passes....at least.

AR was not close to that this fall.   Which was to be expected.

It did seem to fly under the radar. They would post his TC stats, but without much commentary. That was probably their opportunity to manage expectations with his shoulder recovery. Now it seems like Holder is doing so in hindsight.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Agree 100%. It seems far easier to get Levis to stop doing 1-2 bone-headed things per game...than it is that AR becomes the type of passer he's never been. Many Colts fans think it's the other way around though.

Most will point out Levis' 5 year history of playing that way and will assume its rooted there forever.  But experience is not the same thing as maturity, and 24 year old males aren't always mature yet, especially if they make SM videos and like their muscles.  He can grow out of that as a human, which probably influences his play.  But Wentz never stopped being wild, so maybe Levis doesn't either.

A forum narrative that's simply wrong, IMO, is comparing AR to Josh Allen. 

No.  Josh Allen's biggest problem was similar excitable boneheaded mistakes that resulted in big negative plays or turnovers that cost his team games.  But, he had all of the tools coming in.  He improved his accuracy and slowly eliminated the negative dumb plays mid way through his second season.

All the tools coming in but boneheaded plays means that Levis compares to Allen probably better than does AR, IMO..  Levis is just a bit smaller and not as strong armed, but Allen is a unicorn QB in the physicality department.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

But logistically, you are talking about changing 1-2 things for Levis vs. maybe 10 things for AR in a single game.

Since all the video breakdowns from guys like JT O'Sullivan/Dan O./Baldinger mysteriously stopped or just don't get posted here anymore, here is a :40 cut-up of bad passes from the Bears game:

BTW, the reason the Bears lost to Indy was because of Latu's strip sack.

It allowed our offense to score on a short field and put the game out of reach.  Its was 14-9 at the time and the way the game was flowing with CHI offense vs our D, it's likely CHI would have went ahead late in the 4th. 

Plays like Latu's factor into both sides of every WL record, so its not an excuse.  Williams was making good plays as the game wore on to offset some bad plays early, but AR' bad plays out weighed the normal/good by a good margin.  

Didn’t read the whole thread but no I don’t see progress.  He is worse than last year and I didn’t think he played that great then either. What we saw last year made you hopeful he could be the real deal.  This year he has not looked good but I expected this so far. Plenty of season to turn it around. I truly feel this is a throw away season like last year was meant to be. I hope he improves but I doubt AR ever reaches his “potential”.  He can’t throw the ball accurately and that hardly ever improves even knowing some of the few exceptions. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shasta519 said:

If you go back and watch the video breakdowns from last season, it's clear that Richardson is having more trouble in hitting his targets this year. Why is that? Rust from not playing much last season? Other post-surgery effects? 

Maybe also some shaky confidence after not playing as well so far this season? It seemed clear he was pressing on the play last game when he was in a defender's grasp but didn't wrap the ball up and kept trying to make a throw before the ball eventually came loose. It may take a while but I wonder if he hits a couple of good throws in a row if he'll get on a roll and play considerably better. I'm not suggesting that this won't still be a developmental season for him but I expect his passing accuracy to get better as the season progresses. I also wonder if they are using him as a runner less frequently right now because it would be a disaster developmentally for him to get hurt early in the season again and they may unleash him as he gets more games under his belt.