Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Packers post game thread

GoColts8818

Just now, DougDew said:

But I was told we needed to sign veteran secondary players this season because we're close to winning the Division.

To be fair, noone thought we'd come out looking this bad from the get go. Almost every single player is underperforming. If the Dline could actually stop the run we probably could've been good enough to get to the playoffs with solid secondary play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I haven’t read this yet but George is right with this headline.

Good post. Far too much focus on a “Rookie QB”.  I was pounding the forum at the time for the Colts to draft Stroud, but AR has an enormous ceiling and will continue to learn. There is no good way to actually simulate real game snaps, and it especially hurt his development he was injured last year given his true experience level.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Steichen has to get back to what this team does well and make the game simpler for AR.

This isn’t being talked about enough. Shane is in a brutal point of conflict right now. Does he call plays with the playbook completely open to help speed up AR’s development? Or scale things back and bring him along slowly?

• Like 1

Just now, richard pallo said:

It’s obvious to me we wouldn’t have won nine games last year if AR played the entire season.  Same goes for this year.  I think Flacco could get us in this year with this roster.  AR has a long way to go.  I don’t care for the way he delivers the ball either.  His arm motion makes for more inaccurate throws imo.  Throws hard with a lot of heat no doubt.  But I don’t like the motion.  He tends to overthrow the target a lot.  

I think we have to slow up making declarations after two games. Steichen has to get back to the run game and make things simple for a young QB. He is failing AR. He isn’t a star yet. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I disagree.  I think we could make the playoffs with Flacco.  I don’t care about draft picks.  I want to win. Richardson can learn the game watching him.  Just like Love watching Rodgers.

No, he's not going to learn the game by watching (like he did most of last year). Love had 38 college starts and  600+ pass attempts compared to Richardson, who has played a total of 19 games since high school. For better or worse, he needs experience more than anything. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

The hate on Gus here is flat out dumb.  The defense didn’t lose the game. The offense did.  Giving up 16 points should not cost you the game.  Teams make adjustments all the time at halftime and the Colts defense slammed the door shut in the second half.  Where was the offense?  Not to be seen.  Dropped balls and 4 interceptions.  That’s what caused the loss.  Not the defense.

Lol do you not understand they gave up over 100 yards in the first half? Which led to green bay having the lead? You stop run and green bay can't move the ball because willis as a qb just sucks that's why gus will get the blame

3 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Gross 🤮. A few bad throws? Absolutely. But his WR’s didn’t instill much confidence today which forced him to press and feel the need to put the game on his back. The Granson experiment is over. Get him off my screen and put in Mallory PLEASE. 

Yes on Mallory, and give Dulin more PT

21 minutes ago, Dark_Indy said:

I understand that he's a project, but living in Gainesville and having to watch him play for the Gators, then go to the Colts? I've had a bit more experience watching Richardson than most. 

He's just not good. He's an athlete sure, but he's the same player he was in college. Inaccurate, but a cannon arm. 

Sure his intangibles are good. His body type is Cam Newton, and he's got the arm strength of Bradshaw, but his game sense is just subpar. It's the small things that add up. 

The RPO mistakes today were killers. Not even talking interceptions. Just not recognizing the correct read cost the Colts a drive in the 4th quarter, and led to Sermon getting wrecked for a loss. (I believe that was the missed FG drive). 

I'm a Georgia fan so I've spent alot of time following AR and watched many of his games at Florida. 

His one season at Florida he was up and down all season long.

Case in point the Utah game where he lead Florida to a win and looked like he was ready to break out.

Then he plays South Florida and can't hit the broadside of a barn. Florida almost loses that game to a second tier opponent. 

I followed him all season long and when he declared for the draft I projected him to be a 4th or 5th round pick. He was a project but the upside was there to a team that developed him as a backup for several years to take the job as a starter eventually. Just like Jordan Love.

I was shocked when Colts picked him 4th overall.

The potential is there but unfortunately this fanbase will never wait the the 2-3 years required for AR to fully develop.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Breeze said:

I feel like you joined just to throw shade, kind of like an opposing fan trying to stir the pot.  But I’ll give you a news bite…that’s exactly how Peyton learned.  

Yip. 3-13 and it looks pretty secure with his all-time 26 interceptions.

Sure, I hope a miracle occurs and we finish 13-4.

But we may only win 5. That looks more likely.

Keeping Gus is like Polian controlling Painter being left in the starting lineup when we sucked for Luck.

We win 5-6 and a big change in our front office and the DC would be understood around the league. 

8 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Gross 🤮. A few bad throws? Absolutely. But his WR’s didn’t instill much confidence today which forced him to press and feel the need to put the game on his back. The Granson experiment is over. Get him off my screen and put in Mallory PLEASE. 

Alec looked like the only guy who wanted to catch the ball. The other guys kept giving up. The slip on that one play is unfortunate, but not nearly as egregious as the drops or lack of effort by AD and Pitt.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BCMak24 said:

Lol do you not understand they gave up over 100 yards in the first half? Which led to green bay having the lead? You stop run and green bay can't move the ball because willis as a qb just sucks that's why gus will get the blame

lol and what was the score 10-0.  It’s points that count not yards.   10-0 is not insurmountable.  We couldn’t move the ball on offense.  Three and outs.  Dropped balls.  Four interceptions.  That really keeps the defense off the field.  Nope it doesn’t.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

To be fair, noone thought we'd come out looking this bad from the get go. Almost every single player is underperforming. If the Dline could actually stop the run we probably could've been good enough to get to the playoffs with solid secondary play.

I know.  I can't figure why noone thought the offense could be this bad.  JT can't catch or pass block, and AR still can't throw a short game to sustain drives.  It was always possible to be this bad. 

It could come around.  But I'd be sticking my neck out if I expected it. 

Minshew did well against the Ravens D.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ADnum1 said:

I'm a Georgia fan so I've spent alot of time following AR and watched many of his games at Florida. 

His one season at Florida he was up and down all season long.

Case in point the Utah game where he lead Florida to a win and looked like he was ready to break out.

Then he plays South Florida and can't hit the broadside of a barn. Florida almost loses that game to a second tier opponent. 

I followed him all season long and when he declared for the draft I projected him to be a 4th or 5th round pick. He was a project but the upside was there to a team that developed him as a backup for several years to take the job as a starter eventually. Just like Jordan Love.

I was shocked when Colts picked him 4th overall.

The potential is there but unfortunately this fanbase will never wait the the 2-3 years required for AR to fully develop.

Good Post. I guess we will see. It was also reported he never really had a legit QB coach. He has Steichen now, so that may accelerate his development.

• Like 1

Not bad today, my biggest gripes are the first half defense, the second half looked okay, Franklin, Speed and Carlies were attacking the line of scrimmage(yea). Where were the deep throws? 3 completions over 50 yards last week and just one attempt over 50 yards today(last play of the game Hail Mary). Also the 3rd and 1 option play(HUH). Pierce was in single man press coverage out on the left side, you change the play and send him deep and loft the ball to the goal line. You don't do a stupid option that Green Bay even looked like they knew it was coming, lose 5 yards and then miss a 50 yard field goal. And finally the onside kick(wth) you kick the ball deep get the 3 and out and get the ball back around the 30 instead of the 4. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DougDew said:

I know.  I can't figure why noone thought the offense could be this bad.  JT can't catch or pass block, and AR still can't throw a short game to sustain drives.  It was always possible to be this bad. 

It could come around.  But I'd be sticking my neck out if I expected it. 

My confidence in Steichen as a playcaller took a hit today. He's calling these games like AR is already a veteran QB. 34 passes to 18 rushes. I know a lot of those passes came late, but we were pass>rush all game. That's not helping out your young QB.

Also, where are the designed QB runs? I thought Steichen would be a lot more creative with JT and AR.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I never overreact either and get on people when they do but today was nonsense. 

im usually really patient even while people are calling for Ballards head, or getting on players like Alec last year. 

but today the packers had 130+ rushing yards in ONE QUARTER. Among many other complaints. I’m getting tired of being embarrassed because of this teams lack of performance. 

also, Bradley lost yet again to a back up QB. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I don’t recall luck being this bad, but I do remember *ing when he threw a boneheaded pick. How long are you willing to be patient with this guy?

The whole season is a rookie exercise. From a young gifted player who's played less games in college and pros than most others who come into the league. 

Expect ups and downs. Look for quarterly growth in certain play aspects, give it a long leash. If you're expecting playoffs, you're in for a rough ride.

• Like 1

Just now, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

im usually really patient even while people are calling for Ballards head, or getting on players like Alec last year. 

but today the packers had 130+ rushing yards in ONE QUARTER. Among many other complaints. I’m getting tired of being embarrassed because of this teams lack of performance. 

also, Bradley lost yet again to a back up QB. 

Yeah, today even has me puzzled. I thought for sure we would win today.

2 minutes ago, coltsva said:

After the college careers of Manning and Luck, having them throw int's and be a little inaccurate in their rookie year is a lot less concerning than a QB who had 13 college starts.

The counter is if people as prepared for the NFL as Manning and Luck struggled early why wouldn’t you expect that from a kid with 13 college starts?

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, today even has me puzzled. I thought for sure we would win today.

I was expecting a 1-1 record today. What was the statistic for teams starting 0-2 getting to the playoffs? I can’t even take solace in the fact that the titans and jags lost today. The Colts took my heart and stomped out any “glass half full” outlook I usually have.