Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rushing Defense Woes

DattMavis

A rather embarrassing stat:

November 19, 1950:

The Giants rushed for a record 423 yards against the Baltimore Colts. 

September 15, 2024:

The Packers are on pace to break that record against the Indianapolis Colts, rushing for 237 yards in the 1st half.

Our run defense is currently ranked last in the league, and it's not particularly close.

Do we have serious cause to be concerned about this run defense? 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KB said:

Maybe it's because of injury, but the defensive line isn't performing to expectation. Maybe it's Charlie Partridge. Hopefully they get it together. Still a lot of football ahead of us.

First Day of Christmas my true love gave to me...NO Partridge and a run D...

I don't know - Robert Mathis got his PED suspension after an amazing year and the next year, he underwhelmed. How has Grover Stewart looked?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Glad someone is mad.

I am so shocked and this is being sincere. I thought Ballard's main attribute was that a player had to have character. Well it seems even that he is not even good in identifying that in  college players. How many times in the last 3 to 4 years have media and fans questioned this teams  character? It seems like it goes back to the Wentz's and the Colts collapse in those games needed to get into the playoffs. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t have the athletic anymore. Anyone get it and post some exerts from this.

Doesn't say anything we don't know. Nothing about what Nelson said except he talked to the team.

Were Steichen or JT asked about why JT was out the whole 4th quarter?

Just now, Solid84 said:

Doesn't say anything we don't know. Nothing about what Nelson said except he talked to the team.

Were Steichen or JT asked about why JT was out the whole 4th quarter?

That was strange it wasn't like they were getting blown out and there was time to at least tie the game.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DattMavis said:

A rather embarrassing stat:

November 19, 1950:

The Giants rushed for a record 423 yards against the Baltimore Colts. 

September 15, 2024:

The Packers are on pace to break that record against the Indianapolis Colts, rushing for 237 yards in the 1st half.

Our run defense is currently ranked last in the league, and it's not particularly close.

Do we have serious cause to be concerned about this run defense? 

You are forgetting the infamous 375-where Colts allowed 257yds in the 1st half 2006 against the Jags!:peek:

IMG_4283.jpeg.23848f3e5ea60b37f104e65a8e0566d0.jpeg
I can’t believe Mr.Nelson showed some intestinal fortitude!
He even used a word that we can’t use on the Forum!😳

Right on!

I hope his energy turns into Apollo Creed-Like motivation and fires up his team…and keeps it going!

Mr. Zaire should fire up his leadership qualities, too.

Okay, let’s start tomorrow.:thmup:

Some defensive line figures:

DeForest Buckner - Drafted 2016 1st round 7th pick - signed 2024 extension 2 yrs $46mm

Kwity Paye - Drafted 2021 1st round 21st pick - still on rookie deal 4 yrs $13.6mm

Laiatu Latu - Drafted 2024 1st round 15th pick - rookie deal 4 yrs $17mm

Tyquan Lewis - Drafted 2018 2nd round 64th pick - signed 2024 extension 2 yrs $7.7mm

Dayo Odeyingbo - Drafted 2021 2nd round 54th pick - still on rookie deal 4 yrs $6.2mm

Raekwon Davis - Drafted 2020 2nd round 56th pick - acquired 2024 signed 2 yrs $7mm

Grover Stewart - Drafted 2017 4th round 144th pick - signed 2024 extension 3 yrs $39mm

Game 1 vs Houston

213 rushing yards, 4 sacks, 10 QB hits, 4 tackles for loss

Game 2 vs Green Bay

261 rushing yards, 0 sacks, 3 QB hits, 4 tackles for loss

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

DeForest Buckner - Drafted 2016 1st round 7th pick - signed 2024 extension 2 yrs $46mm

Kwity Paye - Drafted 2021 1st round 21st pick - still on rookie deal 4 yrs $13.6mm

Tyquan Lewis - Drafted 2018 2nd round 64th pick - signed 2024 extension 2 yrs $7.7mm

Dayo Odeyingbo - Drafted 2021 2nd round 54th pick - still on rookie deal 4 yrs $6.2mm

Raekwon Davis - Drafted 2020 2nd round 56th pick - acquired 2024 signed 2 yrs $7mm

Grover Stewart - Drafted 2017 4th round 144th pick - signed 2024 extension 3 yrs $39mm

Game 1 vs Houston

Game 2 vs Green Bay

Hot Ones Crying GIF by First We Feast

12 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Weren’t we supposed to be addressing the  accountability part when we got rid of frank and hired a new head coach? 😬

In an interview with JT after the game he said there needs to be a sense of urgency at practices….WTH?

How did we go from fining players for being late to practices to (checks notes) needing more accountability and urgency? My concern level is starting to grow a little with who we have on this team and who the supposedly leaders

Accountability to me begins with something small like taking Granson out and putting in Mallory instead. Idk… we go 0-3 and things will start to feel tight. I don’t think the players view this year as a “growing” year for AR. They want to WIN.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I am so shocked and this is being sincere. I thought Ballard's main attribute was that a player had to have character. Well it seems even that he is not even good in identifying that in  college players. How many times in the last 3 to 4 years have media and fans questioned this teams  character? It seems like it goes back to the Wentz's and the Colts collapse in those games needed to get into the playoffs. 

When you have a team full of nice guys and good guys sometimes it turns like this because nobody wants to hurt each other feelings or be the bad guy , we don’t have any dog dogs on this team. These guys are ok with losing. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

In an interview with JT after the game he said there needs to be a sense of urgency at practices….WTH?

How did we go from fining players for being late to practices to (checks notes) needing more accountability and urgency? My concern level is starting to grow a little with who we have on this team and who the supposedly leaders

Accountability to me begins with something small like taking Granson out and putting in Mallory instead. Idk… we go 0-3 and things will start to feel tight. I don’t think the players view this year as a “growing” year for AR. They want to WIN.  

I’m guessing but I would bet that if you don’t show out in practice better than the guy your competing against you won’t get to play.

10 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

True but this team has no one near the caliber of a Bob Sanders coming back from injury either.

…and we don’t have Peyton Freaking Manning at QB either. Folks forget we went 9-0 before losing to Romo and the Cowboys and went 3-4 in the last 7 games and that’s when our ugly run D showed up. Booger McFarland and Rob Morris started playing better too along with Bob Sanders. Plus we played only 1 of the 3 teams that gave us issues because they were balanced on offense - Patriots, Chargers and Steelers. If we played 2 of them, good chance we didn’t win the SB.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Nelson should not have to do this. These players don’t hold themselves accountable. 

The run defense guys not wanted to hit them running backs you can see it. Franklin and speed and drag down tacklers not thumpers. They can’t shed a block and speed isn’t a great tackler he does ok dragging guys down but I’m willing to bet both have a ton a miss tackles. Speed gave up that Joe mixon run that sealed the Texans  game. But it’s not all on them when you try to constantly take safety’s and make them line backs that’s what happens. I’m watching the bears and Texans game and the linebacker was playing with reckless abandon…. Like hitting the holes hard our guys don’t do that 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

…and we don’t have Peyton Freaking Manning at QB either. Folks forget we went 9-0 before losing to Romo and the Cowboys and went 3-4 in the last 7 games and that’s when our ugly run D showed up. Booger McFarland and Rob Morris started playing better too along with Bob Sanders. Plus we played only 1 of the 3 teams that gave us issues because they were balanced on offense - Patriots, Chargers and Steelers. If we played 2 of them, good chance we didn’t win the SB.

True... I just pointed out Bob because they were speaking on the rushing yds given up by the defense that year.

4 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Game 1 vs Houston

Game 2 vs Green Bay

A lot of garbage on that list

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

I would be shocked if this defense gets any better. Despite what Steichen says we DONT have the guys to get it done. Secondary and linebackers stink and the dline that was supposed to be a strength looks like Swiss cheese.. it’s going to be a long season.

To be honest this is malpractice by Ballard ….. like I know they think us fans are stupid but some of us played sports , coached sports , watched sports etc… we know what we are seeing like everyone knew we needed depth in the second. But Ballard doesn’t bring vets in and makes guys compete for a job he hands them to players he thinks are nice people a deserve a shot. Ala Pinter, NFL is a league where you get what you earn ,you eat what you kill , not what you deserve. Ballard need to take a hard look at him self at look at how other teams that win are built. We need speed at the corner position and a scheme shift. Like no HC under Ballard has been able to pick they DC he normally has one before they get hired and they retain Ballard guy 

On 9/15/2024 at 3:14 PM, Indyitalian said:

Ballard has been here for 7 years and has yet to bring us closer to a championship.  This is his team he bought. Both him and Bradley need to go. 

I agree 100 Ballard time is up , him and Bradley. You can preach accountability and retain Bradley another year….Ballard loves to say guys just need to hit the layup… he should take his own advice we all knew we needed help in the secondary this year no moves, we all knew we needed help last year at corner , oline year before. I talking about obvious weaknesses media calls him out on it year after year and he plays it off like he smarter than everyone then admit mistakes at the end of year and does the same thing. Bradley doesn’t make any adjustment like he runs what he runs and that it 

How is Franklin so incredibly terrible and get washed every play now? Z. Franklin (35.7) PFF GRADE!! 

How does this "amazing" D-Line have ZERO contain and cannot set the edge?

Do we really miss Ebukam this much....and nobody can fill his shoes? 

I thought Paye had the best off season known to man and was going to be a beast? 

How is our best defensive player (Buckner) someone who Ballard didn't even draft? 

Why do I even concern myself with any of this? lol 

8 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

To be honest this is malpractice by Ballard ….. like I know they think us fans are stupid but some of us played sports , coached sports , watched sports etc… we know what we are seeing like everyone knew we needed depth in the second. But Ballard doesn’t bring vets in and makes guys compete for a job he hands them to players he thinks are nice people a deserve a shot. Ala Pinter, NFL is a league where you get what you earn ,you eat what you kill , not what you deserve. Ballard need to take a hard look at him self at look at how other teams that win are built. We need speed at the corner position and a scheme shift. Like no HC under Ballard has been able to pick they DC he normally has one before they get hired and they retain Ballard guy 

Yeah look at how much cap room we had/have! Yet he didn’t bring in anyone except Davis. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Game 1 vs Houston

Game 2 vs Green Bay

These guys need to play better,,,the Colts rush defense was fine last year.   

All I heard this off season is we need DB and safeties.   What happen to the front 7?