Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

…And We’re on to Green Bay!

Archer

On 9/9/2024 at 10:48 AM, richard pallo said:

The hate for Gus is over the top.  His defense is on the field for 40 minutes against one of the best teams in the league and holds them to 29 points and Stroud to 240 yards.  That’s a solid effort in my book.  The offense let us down.  You can practically credit one TD to special teams on the locked punt.  

The Colts' offense needs to control the ball longer. They can't just hit on the big plays obviously. 

But that doesn't excuse the Colts' defense for giving up the most rushing yards in the NFL in Week 1 (213, the second-worst in the league was 185) and the second-most total yards in the NFL. That is not a solid effort. If they get some more third-down stops, they're not on the field for 40 minutes.  

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

We all know AR is a baller but id be lying if the accuracy isn't the dragon in the room. He makes up for in other ways though. But eventually it's got to improve for sure.

It also is on Steichen to have a better game plan and give him easier outlets. Which he did last year. Getting downs back will help. I am not sure Sunday was on Richardson. 

I am still laughing he had 212 yards on nine passes.

23 hours ago, richard pallo said:

The only name I recognize is Jacobs and Malik.

Reid is very explosive  wr for packers. Watson is also dangerous. Doubs is a nice route runner. Packers defense is better equipped to stop the pass than the run.

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It also is on Steichen to have a better game plan and give him easier outlets. Which he did last year. Getting downs back will help. I am not sure Sunday was on Richardson. 

I am still laughing he had 212 yards on nine passes.

2-3 of them were bombs. The one to Dulin was a good one. He's never had accuracy problems with deep throws. The shorter ones are the problem. We will see as we move along. I think we win the game if he hits any of those connects to AD that sailed right over him. Shoot AD should have scored twice. He was that wide open. He missed short and deep to AD but I'm going to give my guy trust they get that cleaned up

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

2-3 of them were bombs. The one to Dulin was a good one. He's never had accuracy problems with deep throws. The shorter ones are the problem. We will see as we move along. I think we win the game if he hits any of those connects to AD that sailed right over him.

It's  a blow out if josh downs plays

• Thanks 1

The Packers were ready for Jalen Hurts and played all his rushing lanes really well. They have improved versus the run but if you spread the wealth around, you can stay balanced and move the ball on them.

The OL is key to controlling tempo in a road game and the D has to take advantage of Willis’ limitations to add some defensive scoring or good field positions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

The Packers were ready for Jalen Hurts and played all his rushing lanes really well. They have improved versus the run but if you spread the wealth around, you can stay balanced and move the ball on them.

The OL is key to controlling tempo in a road game and the D has to take advantage of Willis’ limitations to add some defensive scoring or good field positions.

What kind of ground game does Philly have now days behind Hurts? 

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

2-3 of them were bombs. The one to Dulin was a good one. He's never had accuracy problems with deep throws. The shorter ones are the problem. We will see as we move along. I think we win the game if he hits any of those connects to AD that sailed right over him. Shoot AD should have scored twice. He was that wide open. He missed short and deep to AD but I'm going to give my guy trust they get that cleaned up

I know but often do you actually see those crazy stats. Never 

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

2-3 of them were bombs. The one to Dulin was a good one. He's never had accuracy problems with deep throws. The shorter ones are the problem. We will see as we move along. I think we win the game if he hits any of those connects to AD that sailed right over him.

It's the shorter passes and the passes where he isn't on the run. He seems to have less accuracy when he's standing in the pocket trying to make the short to intermediate throws. Defenses will adjust to that. They'll try to keep him in the pocket and take away the deep passes to the extent they can. In any case, the Colts can't count on two or three deep bombs connecting every game. I do think getting Downs back will help and I'd like to see some short passes to the running backs, too. As defenses adjust, Steichen will too. It should be a very interesting season. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Richardson is much more athletic than hurts. Has a way better arm.

• Thanks 1

Just now, BeanDiasucci said:

It's the shorter passes and the passes where he isn't on the run. He seems to have less accuracy when he's standing in the pocket trying to make the short to intermediate throws. Defenses will adjust to that. They'll try to keep him in the pocket and take away the deep passes to the extent they can. In any case, the Colts can't count on two or three deep bombs connecting every game. I do think getting Downs back will help and I'd like to see some short passes to the running backs, too. As defenses adjust, Steichen will too. It should be a very interesting season. 

He is still the youngest starting QB in the league.  Let’s give him time. In the mean time he can win us games with his legs and deep ball. Go back to last season he was around 60% in the short time he played. Steichen just has to give him the shorter outlets.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I know but often do you actually see those crazy stats. Never 

We like Ws with those stats. Gotta keep working to prevent things that don't help to get the W. Clean the execution up. I gotta say though watching that man play gives me the same goose bump feelings I used to get watching Peyton. You're always on the edge of your seat!

Just now, krunk said:

We like Ws with those stats. Gotta keep working to prevent things that don't help to get the W. Clean the execution up. I gotta say though watching that man play gives me the same goose bump feelings I used to get watching Peyton.

Your bring to serious. It’s just a funny stat. That all. It shows how much of a big play threat he is if he can have those stats and still have chance to win.

• Like 1

When AR hit Pierce on that bomb — that’s as excited as my son and I have been during a Colts game in a long time. And his fourth down TD run had me out of my chair. The Colts have issues clearly, and AR has to be better overall,  but at my house we were desperate to see some flashes from AR, and the kid certainly flashed. It will be pretty easy to be patient with AR, not so easy to have patience if RBs carve up our D or if our D keeps allowing the patented Colts cushion on third and long. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

When AR hit Pierce on that bomb — that’s as excited as my son and I have been during a Colts game in a long time. And his fourth down TD run had me out of my chair. The Colts have issues clearly, and AR has to be better overall,  but at my house we were desperate to see some flashes from AR, and the kid certainly flashed. It will be pretty easy to be patient with AR, not so easy to have patience if RBs carve up our D or if our D keeps allowing the patented Colts cushion on third and long. 

That man shot that thing from a Bazooka! It was amazing how far he threw it over their heads.

34 minutes ago, krunk said:

What kind of ground game does Philly have now days behind Hurts? 

Hmmm…yeah that Saquon Barkley guy caught only 1 TD and rushed for 2 TDs vs Packers. Other than that, Hurts does the occasional scramble. 😉

Our OL has to get the run game going on the road to help out AR and the offense.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Hmmm…yeah that Saquon Barkley guy caught only 1 TD and rushed for 2 TDs vs Packers. Other than that, Hurts does the occasional scramble. 😉

Our OL has to get the run game going on the road to help out AR and the offense.

Packers will probably play the same game plan as the Texans. I doubt Alexander will get beat like he did against AJ 

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Nah it was a serious question. I really didn't know who they had. Haven't paid attention to Philly.

Just now, runthepost said:

Packers will probably play the same game plan as the Texans. I doubt Alexander will get beat like he did against AJ 

They can try but we won't have Willis throw darts on us like Stroud and that is where mistakes will happen, IMO, for some favorable field position for us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Nah it was a serious question. I really didn't know who they had. Haven't paid attention to Philly.

Gotcha!!! Philly started really well. They just signed Devin White too from the Bucs, who was inactive that game. Plus, they have our former Isaiah Rodgers waiting in the wings to get back, so they will be a SB contender unless the Cowboys who are early risers and late faders buck that trend. Philly has plenty of firepower on O and D.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, chad72 said:

To be fair hurts still looks like he lost a step compared to how he used to be. Granted the hurts runs did open up later in the game

1 hour ago, krunk said:

We all know AR is a baller but id be lying if the accuracy isn't the dragon in the room. He makes up for in other ways though. But eventually it's got to improve for sure.

It's definitely an issue, but to me it looks like technique and timing. A lot of them are not close misses - big overthrows and stuff like that. That's generally technique, timing or miscommunication in my opinion and all of that will get better.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stephen said:

To be fair hurts still looks like he lost a step compared to how he used to be. Granted the hurts runs did open up later in the game

they opened up because Saquon was beating them, so it became a case of pick your poison eventually.

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

It's definitely an issue, but to me it looks like technique and timing. A lot of them are not close misses - big overthrows and stuff like that. That's generally technique, timing or miscommunication in my opinion and all of that will get better.

Any other guy with less than 18 starts doesn’t get drafted 4th overall. I also think things will improve and the fact he shows flashes of awesomeness is encouraging considering his body of work. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

They can try but we won't have Willis throw darts on us like Stroud and that is where mistakes will happen, IMO, for some favorable field position for us.

I think the Colts defense is going to feast on Malik Willis and the Packers. And it's not because the Colts defense is so great...

Honestly, even Jordan Love didn't look great in their opener. They have talented receivers, but they're very inconsistent. Jacobs is not the kind of physical runner that Mixon is, their OL isn't as good as Houston's from guard to guard, and the Colts are going to be hyper-focused on the run fits this week. And I've never thought highly of Willis as a QB. 

I think we'll see a 2023 Mac Jones/Bryce Young kind of performance from the Packers offense this week. 

• Like 3

On 9/9/2024 at 9:41 AM, RollerColt said:

You're definitely not wrong. 

The 2018 Bills went 6-10 and dealt with the growing pains of Allen. It paid off, but it required patience. 

I don't think this fan base has enough patience to wait long enough... 

we have waited for 8 years but i like what i see this year, i like our secondary they are going to get very good, ballard was right. i think ar is goint to be top notch. and i like our receivers. would like to see more beast mode from our linebackers

8 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

The Colts' offense needs to control the ball longer. They can't just hit on the big plays obviously. 

But that doesn't excuse the Colts' defense for giving up the most rushing yards in the NFL in Week 1 (213, the second-worst in the league was 185) and the second-most total yards in the NFL. That is not a solid effort. If they get some more third-down stops, they're not on the field for 40 minutes.  

Right on track to ending up the 28th ranked defense for the 3rd straight year.