Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Texans post game reaction

GoColts8818

18 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

It was the full Richardson experience. The throw to AP was amazing, but the short accuracy is still a work in progress. 

It's really hard to remember that it's like ARs 18th game since high school.  But one of the things that irks me is you here stories about guys like Josh Allen who also had a small-ish collegiate career.  And the big knock on him was similar to AR, which is that his throwing mechanics and accuracy were a huge work in progress.  Yet he came into the NFL and you barely heard anything about accuracy.  With AR, I feel like it's not being discussed enough. 

The 2 missed TDs were bad and at least he made good on one of them.  But the other, that would have been a TD that could have given us the lead with like 5 minutes left in the 2nd IRC.  And then to end that drive with a bad interception just left a horribly sour taste in everyone's mouth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 things - we are going to get Uneven from AR, but you have got to love the fact that he is so fun to watch. 

Mallory on the Inactive List was a travesty, that better be the last time that happens. 

I just hope the injury to DBuck is not bad, we need him, because next man up behind him is poor. 

17 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

It's really hard to remember that it's like ARs 18th game since high school.  But one of the things that irks me is you here stories about guys like Josh Allen who also had a small-ish collegiate career.  And the big knock on him was similar to AR, which is that his throwing mechanics and accuracy were a huge work in progress.  Yet he came into the NFL and you barely heard anything about accuracy.  With AR, I feel like it's not being discussed enough. 

The 2 missed TDs were bad and at least he made good on one of them.  But the other, that would have been a TD that could have given us the lead with like 5 minutes left in the 2nd IRC.  And then to end that drive with a bad interception just left a horribly sour taste in everyone's mouth.

He's not going to have a long rope with the fans if it can't get fixed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

3 things - we are going to get Uneven from AR, but you have got to love the fact that he is so fun to watch. 

Mallory on the Inactive List was a travesty, that better be the last time that happens. 

I just hope the injury to DBuck is not bad, we need him, because next man up behind him is poor. 

I need to know how we used the tight ends in that match up though. They probably blocked more than anything else considering that front.

29 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

I have to disagree, it is on Gus because you have to know your personnel.  Putting Cross on an elite WR on an island in a goal situation is asking for a TD.  Even if cross played him tight, Diggs is good enough to still get open.  It’s not like we had Patrick Surtain out there on him.  

That’s on Gus.  One aspect of coaching is putting your players in position to possibly succeed.  As I said above, Diggs v Cross 1on1 in ANY situation, I’m going with Diggs every time.

This is a tough one. I agree that you can expect Cross to cover Diggs. Coverage isn't Cross's strength. On the other hand, Gus doesn't have enough guys who are strong in coverage. IMHO, Ballard puts too much emphasis on size in picking DBs and not enough on coverage skills. He used to do this with WRs, too, where he'd pick the bigger guys that can block well, but he's gone more to the dynamic route runners/pass catchers in the last couple of drafts. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RollerColt said:

When he beats the Chiefs in the playoffs maybe he can back it up. 

Alright, how about a positive post:

Anthony was the youngest starting QB today, and it was his 5th ever NFL game. And he looked pretty darn good for such limited experience. 

Correct.  Let’s face it.  Every game is decided by one or two plays in many instances.  The Texans hit on their opportunities and the Colts did not.  It was a close game we easily could have one.  I only see us getting better.  I’m feeling pretty good after this loss and that’s usually not the case.

• Like 2

If we could hit so many big plays with a limited time of possession, to the effect of 39 to 21 minutes in the Texans' favor, even if that was closer to 33 to 27 minutes, we would have won the game.

We initially couldn't convert 3rd downs and then they were converting plenty on their end. The defensive unit not getting off the field is THE biggest thing that sticks out from this game. You would see teams like the Steelers have their QB stink it up for most of the game but their D will keep making plays to give the O as many shots on the field. The O is not going to be perfect, especially with an almost rookie QB at the helm. The D typically is healthy at the beginning of the season. They have to keep the O in the game in a stalemate. It was never a stalemate.

AR and this offense, aren't built for a shootout, at least not for the time being, lots of wrinkles to iron out w.r.t chemistry and consistency, IMO.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Going to be a roller coaster for sure. 

3 pass plays: 3/3 for 171 yds and 2 TDs

Other 16 pass plays: 6/16 for 41 yds and an INT

8 hours ago, Solid84 said:

The offense wasn’t the problem. 27 points on 20 min. time of possession. Did it have some misfires? Sure, happens to every offense, but you can’t expect more than that on such limited time. 

The defense needs to step it up BIG time. 

And what happened during the other 40 minutes they weren’t on the field.  The defense was and were gassed by the 4th quarter.  The offense couldn’t even get 50% possession.  That’s what would have helped the team.  Good teams capitalize on horrible time of possession by their opponents.  The Texans did that.

• Like 3

No run game or D support to take the pressure off AR. TEs and RBs are a rookie QB's best friend, found wanting big time. No, he is not Mahomes or even Stroud as a rookie, give him more support.

We lost this game at the line of scrimmage, their DL and OL beat our OL and DL respectively.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

And what happened during the other 40 minutes they weren’t on the field.  The defense was and were gassed by the 4th quarter.  The offense couldn’t even get 50% possession.  That’s what would have helped the team.  Good teams capitalize on horrible time of possession by their opponents.  The Texans did that.

Yep, couldn't have said it better. 3rd and 15+, you can't let someone convert that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If we could hit so many big plays with a limited time of possessions, to the effect of 39 to 21 minutes in the Texans' favor, even if that was closer to 33 to 27 minutes, we would have won the game.

We initially couldn't convert 3rd downs and then they were converting plenty on their end. The defensive unit not getting off the field is THE biggest thing that sticks out from this game. You would see teams like the Steelers have their QB stink it up for most of the game but their D will keep making plays to give the O as many shots on the field. The O is not going to be perfect. The D typically is healthy at the beginning of the season. They have to keep the O in the game in a stalemate. It was never a stalemate.

AR and this offense, aren't built for a shootout, at least not for the time being, lots of wrinkles to iron out w.r.t chemistry and consistency, IMO.

But without the explosive plays, not sure how much they score in this game. Even if it made the TOP far less lopsided. 

More than 50% of their yards were on 3 plays. Hard to bank on that in a shootout. 

Consistency is going to be key. 

• Like 1

Just now, shasta519 said:

But without the explosive plays, not sure how much they score in this game. Even if it made the TOP far less lopsided. 

More than 50% of their yards were on 3 plays. Hard to bank on that in a shootout. 

Consistency is going to be key. 

The issue was even when their safeties were backing up, we still couldn't run the ball. Our OL and DL were both manhandled over the course of the game. Hard to win a game where you lose the line of scrimmage, it is lucky that we were even close.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

yes he looked good , his completion percent would have been higher with some quick outs to someone, that is on play calling and coaching

It’s also on Richardson.  He decides the play on the RPO’s.  He has to get better at it.  I also saw him change plays on other plays.  He will get better at it as he plays more.  And of course he needs to improve his accuracy.  I find myself holding my breath every time he throws waiting to see if he overthrows another one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

For me the huge plus and a win about Richardson's current state that noone seems to be talking about is that he actually knows how to play QB. We are not talking about him lacking poise and panicking under pressure... we are not talking about him missing open receivers(as in - not seeing them), we are not talking about dumb decisions, we are not talking about inability to read a defense... all we are talking about is accuracy and sailing the ball... Pretty much everything that's worth criticizing with Richardson right now, we are talking about the very final moments when he releases the ball. He's very far along in my opinion when it comes to playing the position. He just needs to clean up some things with overthrows and sailing the ball... putting some touch on it at times. You don't have to throw everything with 100 mph. And IMO he has a good coach to help him along. I can't wait to see what he looks like in a couple of years time. 

BTW that INT was NOT on Richardson either... Granson slipped and stumbled, the pass was very likely on point if he had just ran his crosser without a stutter... 

• Like 5

Stroud didn't break 250 yards. I think that's a win, and it can be said they stopped him and slowed him down. It was those stupid third downplays that we can never, no matter what, stop. That's where we keep getting destroyed. 

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

For me the huge plus and a win about Richardson's current state that noone seems to be talking about is that he actually knows how to play QB. We are not talking about him lacking poise and panicking under pressure... we are not talking about him missing open receivers(as in - not seeing them), we are not talking about dumb decisions, we are not talking about inability to read a defense... all we are talking about is accuracy and sailing the ball... Pretty much everything that's worth criticizing with Richardson right now, we are talking about the very final moments when he releases the ball. He's very far along in my opinion when it comes to playing the position. He just needs to clean up some things with overthrows and sailing the ball... putting some touch on it at times. You don't have to throw everything with 100 mph. And IMO he has a good coach to help him along. I can't wait to see what he looks like in a couple of years time. 

BTW that INT was NOT on Richardson either... Granson slipped and stumbled, the pass was very likely on point if he had just ran his crosser without a stutter... 

he was so much farther along last year too. I was shocked even in his short time last year how good he was for being so green.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stitches said:

For me the huge plus and a win about Richardson's current state that noone seems to be talking about is that he actually knows how to play QB. We are not talking about him lacking poise and panicking under pressure... we are not talking about him missing open receivers(as in - not seeing them), we are not talking about dumb decisions, we are not talking about inability to read a defense... all we are talking about is accuracy and sailing the ball... Pretty much everything that's worth criticizing with Richardson right now, we are talking about the very final moments when he releases the ball. He's very far along in my opinion when it comes to playing the position. He just needs to clean up some things with overthrows and sailing the ball... putting some touch on it at times. You don't have to throw everything with 100 mph. 

Great post. Excellently stated Stitches!

Yes, he was making correct reads. He was changing plays. He had moments where he knew what the defense was doing and correctly used the right option in RPO. He can play the position. He's only 22. He's only had 5 NFL games. 

Meanwhile Bryce Young who has an entire NFL season under his belt, and many college starts, looks completely lost and rattled. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If we could hit so many big plays with a limited time of possession, to the effect of 39 to 21 minutes in the Texans' favor, even if that was closer to 33 to 27 minutes, we would have won the game.

We initially couldn't convert 3rd downs and then they were converting plenty on their end. The defensive unit not getting off the field is THE biggest thing that sticks out from this game. You would see teams like the Steelers have their QB stink it up for most of the game but their D will keep making plays to give the O as many shots on the field. The O is not going to be perfect, especially with an almost rookie QB at the helm. The D typically is healthy at the beginning of the season. They have to keep the O in the game in a stalemate. It was never a stalemate.

I think we are built for a shoot out. That is the intention at least. But as of right now the QB is still feelings by the game out along with a key short coming. We have the parts though

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think we are built for a shoot out. That is the intention at least. But as of right now the QB is still feelings by the game out along with a key short coming. We have the parts though

You are mistaking the philosophy of "pass to build a lead, run to preserve it" to a "shootout philosophy". It is very much like Bruce Arian's philosophy but with less 6 or 7 step drops.

He did the same with Jalen Hurts too once he got A J Brown and DeVonta Smith

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is why we are not going to be able to just look at his accuracy number and determine how good he was.

Kind of insane to see dead last in average separation when you consider how much separation AD created on the throws AR overthrew him on. 

• Like 2

Just now, stitches said:

Kind of insane to see dead last in average separation when you consider how much separation AD created on the throws AR overthrew him on. 

If AR connected on 1 of those, we would probably be singing a different tune or maybe it would be Stroud driving down the field for a game winning FG, seen that story too many times with Gus Bradley.

Just now, chad72 said:

If AR connected on 1 of those, we would probably be singing a different tune or maybe it would be Stroud driving down the field for a game winning FG, seen that story too many times with Gus Bradley.

we saw it a lot with chuck pagano too. It happened with Tony dungy. Let’s be real, it’s going to continue happening in Indianapolis… 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

we saw it a lot with chuck pagano too. It happened with Tony dungy. Let’s be real, it’s going to continue happening in Indianapolis… 

I would like to see how many dome teams have won SBs lately with that 4-3 speedy D?

Since we got 8 divisions in 2002 - 2006 Colts, 2009 Saints, 2021 Rams?? That is what, 3 teams in the last 22 years??

Both Saints and Rams blitzed plenty and there is no Aaron Donald on this team. :) 

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

he was so much farther along last year too. I was shocked even in his short time last year how good he was for being so green.

The last game he played against Tennessee before he got injured you could see him really begin to flourish and figure it out. What will he look like by game 4 this season?

• Like 2

Just now, chad72 said:

I would like to see how many dome teams have won SBs lately?

Since we got 8 divisions in 2002 - 2006 Colts, 2009 Saints, 2021 Rams?? That is what, 3 teams in the last 22 years??

how’d you go from Gus Bradley allowing game winning field goals to how many dome teams winning Super Bowls lately? 

8 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

look who was JUST out of the top 5 in EPA rating yesterday. When AR adds some touch to his throws in his toolbox……Man. Can’t wait. 

A certain someone is dead last. 😆 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

how’d you go from Gus Bradley allowing game winning field goals to how many dome teams winning Super Bowls lately? 

The Dungy D, Bradley D, all incorporated around rushing 4, was a driving factor behind Ballard's vision of the 4-3 D because he said that is what indoor teams typically have thrived with. That is where I was going. At least Dungy had HOF edge rushers.

Pagano's D was a poorly constructed D, very match up oriented and no defensive adjustments for his 3-4, like putting a big physical corner like Vontae Davis on a speedy outside guy like Antonio Brown etc. Worked for VD versus DeMaryius Thomas but not when he went vs Gronk or Antonio Brown. Then, they could never defend or game plan for the TE wham block the Patriots instituted for every matchup. Noah Gray, no name RBs they trotted out scored on us.

There is no doubt that this offense will be great. There are no worries with the QB. The bigger question will be can Ballard ever put a good defense around him to make us a contender instead of just being able to compete.

1 minute ago, JediXMan said:

A certain someone is dead last. 😆 

I still can’t believe browns dumped him when he had an injury and tried to play through it. That had to be the worse nfl trade in history.

Just now, RollerColt said:

LMAO

Gardner Minshew's picture!!!

Didn't think Joe Burrow would be there. Any HC would jump on the chance to replace Zac Taylor - both Texans' OC and Lions' OC would get to the front for that job. Zac Taylor has underachieved, IMO.

Anybody remember 2006 when Jax ran for 365 and the talk was “get rid of Meeks”, “fire Polian”, “get rid of Dungy”, “trade for some players”!!

And Dungy’s response? “We just have to be a little sharper, we have the players”.

The result that year? The Colts win the SB. I’m not saying that is what’s going to happen but the D line will be fine: I saw so many plays where they were so close to a TFL and credit Mixon, Shroud and Collins, they made  more plays than the Colts did. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Anybody remember 2006 when Jax ran for 365 and the talk was “get rid of Meeks”, “fire Polian”, “get rid of Dungy”, “trade for some players”!!

And Dungy’s response? “We just have to be a little sharper, we have the players”.

The result that year? The Colts win the SB. I’m not saying that is what’s going to happen but the D line will be fine: I saw so many plays where they were so close to a TFL and credit Mixon, Shroud and Collins, they made  more plays than the Colts did. 

Our D finally got tired of it and our safeties in Sanders and Bethea played lights out. Safety play has been critical for lots of SB winning teams - from Saints (Sharper) to Seahawks to Patriots to Broncos to recent Chiefs teams, look closely at those SB winning rosters. The one off Bucs and Rams teams had stellar safety play too. We DON'T have the safeties on the roster that can make game flipping plays, IMO. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Didn't think Joe Burrow would be there. Any HC would jump on the chance to replace Zac Taylor - both Texans' OC and Lions' OC would get to the front for that job. Zac Taylor has underachieved, IMO.

I knew he'd be at the bottom. I wasn't able to watch the Indy game so I had the Bengals game on TV while listening to the Colts. 

Burrow was checkdown Charlie yesterday. Patriots just kept him contained and under duress all day. No rhythm, no connection with receivers. No running game, no tight ends... 

Their offensive line is 2015 Colts bad... Yeah... That bad... 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

I knew he'd be at the bottom. I wasn't able to watch the Indy game so I had the Bengals game on TV while listening to the Colts. 

Burrow was checkdown Charlie yesterday. Patriots just kept him contained and under duress all day. No rhythm, no connection with receivers. No running game, no tight ends... 

Their offensive line is 2015 Colts bad... Yeah... That bad... 

Early season typically means slow starts for the Bengals and I feel the Chiefs go 2-0.