Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why is Ballard not improving his Secondary?

9 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Simmons is in the 50's of this year's TOP 100. Chuckle you!

Your take is not a good one, should you be put on Ignore?

do not put him on ignore, you might miss him, lol

• Like 1

A shoe has dropped.   

Diggs has signed with…. The Titans.   

Simmons still the number one guy on the available free agent board.   And if you look at the free agent list on Spotrac.com there are other safeties that you know.  So there are more possibilities.  

And I’d remind with the insight that we got this week….  The Colts tried to trade up to 6….  And tried to trade up to about 10.  Within reason, Ballard tries to give him GM what he wants.   So if Steichen isn’t liking what he’s seeing from his safeties,  then I think Ballard will try to sign someone.  

Food for thought…..

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

A shoe has dropped.   

Diggs has signed with…. The Titans.   

Simmons still the number one guy on the available free agent board.   And if you look at the free agent list on Spotrac.com there are other safeties that you know.  So there are more possibilities.  

And I’d remind with the insight that we got this week….  The Colts tried to trade up to 6….  And tried to trade up to about 10.  Within reason, Ballard tries to give him GM what he wants.   So if Steichen isn’t liking what he’s seeing from his safeties,  then I think Ballard will try to sign someone.  

Food for thought…..

Hoping for Simmons, but just looking at the available FS free agents Alohi Gilman stands out. On 544 coverage snaps last season he got a 89.2 coverage grade from PFF. And he only turns 27 this year. 

Can’t say I’ve seen any of his tape, though, so don’t know if it matches the “eye” test. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Freaking Titans of all teams signed Diggs. I swear if this blows up in Ballard’s face he needs to be gone. 

making winning deals does not seem to be one of ballards strong points

• Like 2

Diggs down, Simmons to go. Looks like Diggs wanted to sign with someone. Ballard could have gotten him but chose not too. This is on Ballard not getting Diggs. Titans pounced when we didn't. We could have offered him a starting job. Frustrating, and I called it a bit earlier too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Diggs down, Simmons to go. Looks like Diggs wanted to sign with someone. Ballard could have gotten him but chose not too. This is on Ballard not getting Diggs. Titans pounced when we didn't. We could have offered him a starting job. Frustrating, and I called it a bit earlier too.

Pounced?   He’s been sitting there since the end of last season.  He had a poor season last year. Maybe the Colts staff evaluated him and decided he wasn’t worth signing. I would have liked to have seen Simmons or Diggs signed but I’m not going to assume the Colts haven’t done their homework on Diggs. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Pounced?   He’s been sitting there since the end of last season.  He had a poor season last year. Maybe the Colts staff evaluated him and decided he wasn’t worth signing. I would have liked to have seen Simmons or Diggs signed but I’m not going to assume the Colts haven’t done their homework on Diggs. 

The Colts may have done their homework on him, but they have proven that they don't know how to build a secondary. If the Colts evaluated him and decided he wasn't worth signing, then the Titans disagreed and did think he was worth signing with arguably a better secondary than us. 

Not only do we not have a good secondary, but we aren't proactive in improving the position. Ballard has made it clear that he doesn't value the secondary position. He shows it in FA and the draft. We have been getting destroyed by even below average QBs for years. It's old, and the fans know what to expect from him. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

The Colts may have done their homework on him, but they have proven that they don't know how to build a secondary. If the Colts evaluated him and decided he wasn't worth signing, then the Titans disagreed and did think he was worth signing with arguably a better secondary than us. 

Not only do we not have a good secondary, but we aren't proactive in improving the position. Ballard has made it clear that he doesn't value the secondary position. He shows it in FA and the draft. We have been getting destroyed by even below average QBs for years. It's old, and the fans know what to expect from him. 

There’s nothing quite like Yoshi when he gets on his soap box.   🙄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

Maybe Ballard didn’t want Diggs?  Maybe Ballard wants Simmons?    Or maybe Ballard likes what he’s seeing from Blackman at FS and Cross at SS?  

There are other possibilities that you haven’t considered.  

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe Ballard didn’t want Diggs?  Maybe Ballard wants Simmons?    Or maybe Ballard likes what he’s seeing from Blackman at FS and Cross at SS?  

Well, one option is eliminated in Diggs, we're down to the excuse that maybe he wants the other one in Simmons. 1/32 chance that happens. What happens when that doesn't happen? We go into the season with a poor secondary once again? If Ballard likes what he's seeing with Blackmon at FS and Cross at SS, then he's willing to play Blackmon out of position to play Cross at SS, and he's not willing to sign a FS in FA when we have a need there, and we have the money to do it.

Diggs was $3 million with an additional $2 million in incentives. We could have matched or beat that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

There’s nothing quite like Yoshi when he gets on his soap box.   🙄

Same crybaby's that cried when the Titans signed Julio Jones and Ballard didn't.....that move led the Titans to a grand total of 0 Super Bowls. ( Same number as the Colts)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

Well, one option is eliminated in Diggs, we're down to the excuse that maybe he wants the other one in Simmons. 1/32 chance that happens. What happens when that doesn't happen? We go into the season with a poor secondary once again? If Ballard likes what he's seeing with Blackmon at FS and Cross at SS, then he's willing to play Blackmon out of position to play Cross at SS, and he's not willing to sign a FS in FA when we have a need there, and we have the money to do it.

Diggs was $3 million with an additional $2 million in incentives. We could have matched or beat that. 

I could be mistaken, but I believe Blackman is getting very good reviews playing FS in camp.  Maybe that’s his best spot?   And maybe Cross is better as a SS.   

And the market for Simmons is NOT 1/32.   First, most teams don’t have the cap space for him.  But more important, most teams don’t have the NEED for a starting free safety.   So the competition is not as difficult as you stated.  

To be clear.   I’m in favor of signing Simmons.  Always have been.   I just won’t freak out if it doesn’t happen.  I think it should be clear that if Steichen wants to make a move to acquire talent Ballard will certainly try.   He tried to trade up to 6.  Tried to trade up to about 10.   And in the end, neither trade happened and the draft still went well.   So I trust the decision making of this franchise.   

Maybe Simmons still happens.   Maybe another safety gets signed?    Or maybe we stay in house and Blackman/Cross do a good job?   All I’m recommending is to stay calm and not get worked up until we see how the next 3-4 weeks play out. 

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Same crybaby's that cried when the Titans signed Julio Jones and Ballard didn't.....that move led the Titans to a grand total of 0 Super Bowls. ( Same number as the Colts)

This time last year all our resident GMs cried and cried about Fries and all you heard was why on earth hasn't Ballard signed Risner...we need Risner over and over and over. How did that turn out???

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Hoping for Simmons, but just looking at the available FS free agents Alohi Gilman stands out. On 544 coverage snaps last season he got a 89.2 coverage grade from PFF. And he only turns 27 this year. 

Can’t say I’ve seen any of his tape, though, so don’t know if it matches the “eye” test. 

Gilman was one I wanted from the get go but he resigned with Chargers back on March 13 unfortunately.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I could be mistaken, but I believe Blackman is getting very good reviews playing FS in camp.  Maybe that’s his best spot?   And maybe Cross is better as a SS.   

And the market for Simmons is NOT 1/32.   First, most teams don’t have the cap space for him.  But more important, most teams don’t have the NEED for a starting free safety.   So the competition is not as difficult as you stated.  

To be clear.   I’m in favor of signing Simmons.  Always have been.   I just won’t freak out if it doesn’t happen.  I think it should be clear that if Steichen wants to make a move to acquire talent Ballard will certainly try.   He tried to trade up to 6.  Tried to trade up to about 10.   And in the end, neither trade happened and the draft still went well.   So I trust the decision making of this franchise.   

Maybe Simmons still happens.   Maybe another safety gets signed?    Or maybe we stay in house and Blackman/Cross do a good job?   All I’m recommending is to stay calm and not get worked up until we see how the next 3-4 weeks play out. 

The later it gets, the less chance of signing Simmons.   The concern is as much or more with safety depth as who starts along with Blackmon.   Very thin position group, experience wise.  

Overall Ballard has made good decisions, at least at the time he made them.   But he’s also been stubborn (or pick a word) to the detriment of the team.  Pryor/Pinter starting is the prime example.  

So, as you said, all we can do is wait and see.  I’ve said it before, I don’t think you can get a good feel on how Cross is playing in practice or the preseason.  Free safety is probably the most instinctual position on defense.  Cross may have the physical ability but does he have the mental?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

Justin Simmons is not the answer. There are reasons there has not been much interest in him around the league.

Wait until August 27th when rosters go from 90 to the final 53.

A lot of quality players will be cut. 

He:

Wants to play for a playoff team.

Wants to start.

Wants to be paid. 

He had a good year last year but found himself in a glutted safety market with a big salary. He’s waited it out patiently, as have the Colts. Simmons is likely much better than the castoffs available on cut day. He and the Colts are a strong match if both sides are willing. Let’s hope so. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

Gilman was one I wanted from the get go but he resigned with Chargers back on March 13 unfortunately.

Ah, my bad. Would’ve been a nice pick up for us though. 

22 minutes ago, Hoose said:

He:

Wants to play for a playoff team.

Wants to start.

Wants to be paid. 

He had a good year last year but found himself in a glutted safety market with a big salary. He’s waited it out patiently, as have the Colts. Simmons is likely much better than the castoffs available on cut day. He and the Colts are a strong match if both sides are willing. Let’s hope so. 

Ok, keep hoping for Justin Simmons. It's a name you know, so now to you, he is the only safety that will be available after the 27th that could be successful on the Colts. Meanwhile, those actual quality players that you consider only "castoffs" will have better seasons than Justin Simmons. Stay tuned...

The Colts will not sign Justin Simmons, and that will turn out to be a plus.

13 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

Ok, keep hoping for Justin Simmons. It's a name you know, so now to you, he is the only safety that will be available after the 27th that could be successful on the Colts. Meanwhile, those actual quality players that you consider only "castoffs" will have better seasons than Justin Simmons. Stay tuned...

The Colts will not sign Justin Simmons, and that will turn out to be a plus.

Yeah, the league is full of guys getting cut at the end of pre season and walking right into a starting job with another team. I’ll hope for Simmons, a pro bowl level free safety in the very recent past. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

This time last year all our resident GMs cried and cried about Fries and all you heard was why on earth hasn't Ballard signed Risner...we need Risner over and over and over. How did that turn out???

It's not just our "resident GMs" who think our secondary MIGHT be one of the worst in the league. 

2024 NFL secondary rankings: New York Jets, San Francisco 49ers take top spots

28. Indianapolis Colts

The Colts' secondary is led by cornerback Kenny Moore II, one of the best slot cornerbacks in the NFL. Julian Blackmon had a career year in 2023, putting up a 68.3 overall grade, but this is a unit that needs a leap from second-year corner JuJu Brents and someone to step up at safety opposite of Blackmon.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-secondary-rankings-2024

2024 NFL Secondary Rankings, All 32 Teams

29. Indianapolis Colts

The Colts’ secondary ranked no higher than 27th on any ballot. When the defense failed to generate pressure, they allowed a 58% completion rate on throws 10 or more yards downfield, ranked 26th. 2023 second-round pick JuJu Brents needs to take a big step forward after allowing 9.0 yards per target in coverage as a rookie, per Sports Info Solutions.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/best-nfl-secondary-rankings/

NFL defense rankings: Worst NFL defenses entering 2024

23. Indianapolis Colts

The Indianapolis Colts basically ignored what everyone believed was a need at cornerback until Round 6 of the 2024 NFL Draft. Combine that with striking out on the L’Jarius Sneed trade and it’s clear general manager Chris Ballard has a ton of confidence in improvements from a young secondary. We’re not nearly as confident, but Indianapolis did bolster its pass rush with Laiatu Latu. A front four that can consistently get into the backfield makes a secondary look better, so we’ll give the Colts some benefit of the doubt in that regard. However, we still have big questions about the back end heading into the summer.

https://sportsnaut.com/nfl-defense-rankings/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Cross hasn’t done anything to warrant faith in him. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Yeah, the league is full of guys getting cut at the end of pre season and walking right into a starting job with another team. I’ll hope for Simmons, a pro bowl level free safety in the very recent past. 

Bet me right now that a player cut on August 27th won't have a better season than Justin Simmons. I will lay down ANY amount you want.

2 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

Bet me right now that a player cut on August 27th won't have a better season than Justin Simmons. I will lay down ANY amount you want.

🙄

• Thanks 1

Assuming we are not interested in Simmons I can see the Colts trading for Budda Baker.  They check him out during the joint practices and trade for him before the season starts.  Maybe we send them a TE or even Pierce if AD looks like a starter.

30 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Assuming we are not interested in Simmons I can see the Colts trading for Budda Baker.  They check him out during the joint practices and trade for him before the season starts.  Maybe we send them a TE or even Pierce if AD looks like a starter.

Baker isn't a big man. Have you seen Ballard show interest in small safeties? 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Why would the Cardinals trade their starting FS?

This isn't fantasy football.

In 2025 it's possible they trade him. Now? Zero chance.

18 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

Why would the Cardinals trade their starting FS?

This isn't fantasy football.

He’s been available for the last few years reportedly.  Even recently his name has been mentioned as a veteran player who could be traded.  They are not contenders and are looking for younger talent.  He’s a FA after this year.  Not out of the realm of possibility I would think.

Just now, richard pallo said:

He’s been available for the last few years reportedly.  Even recently his name has been mentioned as a veteran player who could be traded.  They are not contenders and are looking for younger talent.  He’s a FA after this year.  Not out of the realm of possibility I would think.

Yeah, in 2025 it's possible. But they are looking to play 2024 out as is. If they were looking to trade him they would have done it already

The Colts will be fine at safety. Not sure what all the panic is about.

8 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

Yeah, in 2025 it's possible. But they are looking to play 2024 out as is. If they were looking to trade him they would have done it already

Trust me, this is actually calm panic compared to most years. 

This is normal behavior for this site. I'm happy that the most drama and controversy so far is just filling out our backfield. I'll take that over what's happened from 2019-2022. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Trust me, this is actually calm panic compared to most years. 

This is normal behavior for this site. I'm happy that the most drama and controversy so far is just filling out our backfield. I'll take that over what's happened from 2019-2022. 

Blackmon, Cross, Harrison, Thomas, Denbow.

That will be a decent safety room. 

Tell everyone to relax. lol.

24 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

There's no panic. Why would anybody "panic" about possible preseason weaknesses in their favorite football team? 

When you say they'll be fine, do you mean they'll be significantly improved from last season? I'm not super happy with "fine" or "decent."