Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Samson Ebukam tore his Achilles

CR91

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?  You think Ebukum might not be back?   I think the only way that happens is if the surgery goes badly, or he re-injures himself in rehab.   

Otherwise, I think he’s close to a lock to be back.  Ballard signed him to a very favorable contract, he had a GREAT first season and he should be ready by next summer.   I don’t see turning 30 as an issue.  

It could go either way.  They don’t have as much cap room next year.  It would save $6million.  Dayo, Blackmon, and Speed are FA’s on defense. Of course they can roll over unused cap space from this year.  If Latu is what we hope and Dayo takes the next step, I don’t think it’s automatic that he’s back. 

8 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

It could go either way.  They don’t have as much cap room next year.  It would save $6million.  Dayo, Blackmon, and Speed are FA’s on defense. Of course they can roll over unused cap space from this year.  If Latu is what we hope and Dayo takes the next step, I don’t think it’s automatic that he’s back. 

I just don’t see a reason Samson wouldn’t be back.   He’s very good, he’s very inexpensive.  He’d easily be one of the 5 best DE’s so there’s room for him.  

I don’t worry about cap space.  We always seem to manage to find more as we did this year re-doing Buckner’s deal. 

6 hours ago, PackersNation said:

IMO, all teams should be forced to have natural grass for their home field.

It should probably be that way but our stadium wasnt built for it and it cant even be updated to support it, at least not within reason. 

1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

It should probably be that way but our stadium wasnt built for it and it cant even be updated to support it, at least not within reason. 

Lucas Oil is like 20 years old. When a new stadium is built, it should be mandated that it be natural grass. They have natural grass in Vegas, a indoor stadium. They grow it outside and roll it in.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?  You think Ebukum might not be back?   I think the only way that happens is if the surgery goes badly, or he re-injures himself in rehab.   

Otherwise, I think he’s close to a lock to be back.  Ballard signed him to a very favorable contract, he had a GREAT first season and he should be ready by next summer.   I don’t see turning 30 as an issue.  

It has nothing to with performance. Just that he’ll be a 30 year old player coming off an Achilles.  Not the easiest thing to come back from at that age. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well this injury happened on grass.  Second a lot stadiums downtown like the Colts stadium or the Lions stadium in Detroit are not built in areas to be able to roll the grass in and out.  Also places like Minneapolis, Detroit, and Indianapolis are not conducive to maintaining grass year round like Vegas or Phoenix.  At some point you are going to end up with “winter grass” which defeats part of the purpose of having an indoor stadium.  

Also the city is in no hurry to replace LOS.  It’s still state of the art in a lot of ways and the city uses it for several events a year beyond the Colts, the Big 10 just renewed their title game there through 2028, NCAA final fours, the US swimming trials were in it, the WWE just signed multi-year agreement to use the stadium and conventions use that stadium year round.  So they aren’t going to build a new stadium just so it can have natural grass.

This is one of those ideas that sounds good on paper but when you start looking at details realize quickly it’s not really doable for a variety of reasons. 

Lots of good interesting post here today.  But for my money, THIS post, YOUR post is hands down the best.   Just completely comprehensive.  You covered everything!  

Mad props to you!   Bravo!  

:colts:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well this injury happened on grass.  Second a lot stadiums downtown like the Colts stadium or the Lions stadium in Detroit are not built in areas to be able to roll the grass in and out.  Also places like Minneapolis, Detroit, and Indianapolis are not conducive to maintaining grass year round like Vegas or Phoenix.  At some point you are going to end up with “winter grass” which defeats part of the purpose of having an indoor stadium.  

Also the city is in no hurry to replace LOS.  It’s still state of the art in a lot of ways and the city uses it for several events a year beyond the Colts, the Big 10 just renewed their title game there through 2028, NCAA final fours, the US swimming trials were in it, the WWE just signed multi-year agreement to use the stadium and conventions use that stadium year round.  So they aren’t going to build a new stadium just so it can have natural grass.

This is one of those ideas that sounds good on paper but when you start looking at details realize quickly it’s not really doable for a variety of reasons. 

I never said no injuries ever happen on natural grass. This one injury to a Colts player is not the only injury that is relevant to the broader discussion about grass vs. turf. A lot more injuries happen on turf than on grass. And turf is so much harder on players bodies.

Also, your whole argument about some cities not being able to maintain grass year round is just not factual. Green Bay does it with no issues. Ever look at Lambeau in December? The grass is still green and every bit as playable as in September. They cover the field before snowfall and remove the snow and uncover. Grounds crews are much more advanced today. Grow lights and etc. This isn't 1920s football, when it was more difficult to maintain and have lush grass year round.

Also, I never said all stadiums will have to change to natural grass immediately, but many do it already to be able to host World Cup soccer. 

In the next 10 to 12 years, every NFL stadium will be required to have natural grass. Trust me, the players are already raising enough of a stink about it that it is inevitable that the league will mandate it for all teams. To prevent injuries, and prolong players careers.

Dang.....Get well soon Samson!

Never wish injury on anyone, but D-Line is thankfully the deepest group on this team. 

I hope Latu build up Gus's trust, and Gus lets him get a bunch of playing time. That's the only way the dude will learn and get better. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

It has nothing to with performance. Just that he’ll be a 30 year old player coming off an Achilles.  Not the easiest thing to come back from at that age. 

Everyone is coming back in 9 months or less. Everyone!!!

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Never wish injury on anyone, but D-Line is thankfully the deepest group on this team. 

I hope Latu build up Gus's trust, and Gus lets him get a bunch of playing time. That's the only way the dude will learn and get better. 

We were considerably over stocked at the DE position regarding snap counts. Now we need another guy to step up for say 200 or so snaps as a pass rusher. That's if our 4 regulars only miss a game m or 2 each.

Today, I would say Kwity will predominantly play Ebukam's spot on 1st downs opening day. With Lewis on the other side. Latu is going to be a Beast though.

8 hours ago, PackersNation said:

Lucas Oil is like 20 years old. When a new stadium is built, it should be mandated that it be natural grass

I do agree!  LOS stadium has a lot of life left though, no plans for a new one any time soon.

9 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I do agree!  LOS stadium has a lot of life left though, no plans for a new one any time soon.

Yeah, if they do a mandate for all grass fields, they will have to let some teams have time to either renovate or build new stadium.

But, I would count on the new stadium, whenever built, being natural grass. And I will go further, an advocate for an open air stadium in Indy. That would be awesome!

Back to the unfortunate injury to Ebukam...

10 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

Yeah, if they do a mandate for all grass fields,

I dont think the league would ever do this.  That would be over stepping too far into local politics and spending.  A team can demand a new stadium, the league needs to leave it up to them and the city and they know that.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I dont think the league would ever do this.  That would be over stepping too far into local politics and spending.  A team can demand a new stadium, the league needs to leave it up to them and the city and they know that.

The mandate will not choose when or how a new stadium is built, it will be for having to have natural grass whenever a stadium is built or renovated.

It's coming, mark my words. Fewer injuries and prolonging players careers is in the best interest of everyone.

8 hours ago, PackersNation said:

I never said no injuries ever happen on natural grass. This one injury to a Colts player is not the only injury that is relevant to the broader discussion about grass vs. turf. A lot more injuries happen on turf than on grass. And turf is so much harder on players bodies.

Also, your whole argument about some cities not being able to maintain grass year round is just not factual. Green Bay does it with no issues. Ever look at Lambeau in December? The grass is still green and every bit as playable as in September. They cover the field before snowfall and remove the snow and uncover. Grounds crews are much more advanced today. Grow lights and etc. This isn't 1920s football, when it was more difficult to maintain and have lush grass year round.

Also, I never said all stadiums will have to change to natural grass immediately, but many do it already to be able to host World Cup soccer. 

In the next 10 to 12 years, every NFL stadium will be required to have natural grass. Trust me, the players are already raising enough of a stink about it that it is inevitable that the league will mandate it for all teams. To prevent injuries, and prolong players careers.

I took a tour of Green Bay stadium and they spend millions of dollars on their grass and actually has a synthetic part of their grass that they are the only team in the league to have.  Cities aren’t going to spend that kind of money for grass when they have an indoor stadium.

I also didn’t say you said injuries only happen on turf but having this discussion in a thread about a player who was just hurt on grass doesn’t help your argument.  It’s a reminder injuries, bad injuries, can happen on any surface at anytime.  The Colts have had a rash of Achilles injuries the vast majority of them have come on grass rather than the turf at LOS.  So going to grass rather than turf isn’t going to be a magic button that fixes injuries like some think it will be.  

Players also raised a stink about Thursday night football, a 17th game and even a 18th game and those have happened or are on the verge of happening for some of the very same reasons you just listed.

it’s becoming harder for NFL teams to get new deals for stadiums as tax payers are starting to say they don’t want their money spent on that.  Pretty much telling the vast majority of doomed teams they have to rebuild their stadiums to have natural grass in the next 10 years is going to be a non-starter and the Owners know that.  New Orleans isn’t going to replace the Super Dome.  Atlanta and Minneapolis have fairly new stadiums they aren’t replacing anytime soon.  Good luck telling Los Angeles they are replacing SoFi for a stadium that can support grass.  

You also can’t get around several cities like to have their stadiums downtown and there just isn’t space to roll grass out of the stadium.  Like for the city of Indianapolis the stadium has always been largely tied to the convention center rather it was the RCA Dome or LOS.  It’s by design because they use it for conventions and use the convention center to support the other major events the stadium hosts.  There isn’t really a place to roll grass out around there and they aren’t going to give that model up.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I took a tour of Green Bay stadium and they spend millions of dollars on their grass and actually has a synthetic part of their grass that they are the only team in the league to have.  Cities aren’t going to spend that kind of money for grass when they have an indoor stadium.

I also didn’t say you said injuries only happen on turf but having this discussion in a thread about a player who was just hurt on grass doesn’t help your argument.  It’s a reminder injuries, bad injuries, can happen on any surface at anytime.  The Colts have had a rash of Achilles injuries the vast majority of them have come on grass rather than the turf at LOS.  So going to grass rather than turf isn’t going to be a magic button that fixes injuries like some think it will be.  

Players also raised a stink about Thursday night football, a 17th game and even a 18th game and those have happened or are on the verge of happening for some of the very same reasons you just listed.

it’s becoming harder for NFL teams to get new deals for stadiums as tax payers are starting to say they don’t want their money spent on that.  Pretty much telling the vast majority of doomed teams they have to rebuild their stadiums to have natural grass in the next 10 years is going to be a non-starter and the Owners know that.  New Orleans isn’t going to replace the Super Dome.  Atlanta and Minneapolis have fairly new stadiums they aren’t replacing anytime soon.  Good luck telling Los Angeles they are replacing SoFi for a stadium that can support grass.  

You also can’t get around several cities like to have their stadiums downtown and there just isn’t space to roll grass out of the stadium.  Like for the city of Indianapolis the stadium has always been largely tied to the convention center rather it was the RCA Dome or LOS.  It’s by design because they use it for conventions and use the convention center to support the other major events the stadium hosts.  There isn’t really a place to roll grass out around there and they aren’t going to give that model up.

Not sure why Indy fans are so against the thought of not playing on turf. The league is more worried about money, injuries and prolonging careers, than about fans being used to the Indy stadium having turf and not wanting to change. It's coming whether you like it or not. The new stadium in Indy(whenever built) will have natural grass. And you will like it when your team plays on grass. 30 years from now Colts fans will be saying: "Wish the Colts had always played on grass." Change is good and you won't want to change back.

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

We were considerably over stocked at the DE position regarding snap counts. Now we need another guy to step up for say 200 or so snaps as a pass rusher. That's if our 4 regulars only miss a game m or 2 each.

Today, I would say Kwity will predominantly play Ebukam's spot on 1st downs opening day. With Lewis on the other side. Latu is going to be a Beast though.

7 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

The new stadium in Indy(whenever built) will have natural grass

Lucas Oil is 16 years old… a great deal of this forum won’t even be here when this new stadium you speak of comes to into play. 

🤣 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Lucas Oil is 16 years old… a great deal of this forum won’t even be here when this new stadium you speak of comes to into play. 

🤣

I’m one of those.  Watched them on black and white TV from Memorial Stadium, then the Hoosier/RCA Dome and now the LOS.  Likely won’t be around for the next facility.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

Not sure why Indy fans are so against the thought of not playing on turf. The league is more worried about money, injuries and prolonging careers, than about fans being used to the Indy stadium having turf and not wanting to change. It's coming whether you like it or not. The new stadium in Indy(whenever built) will have natural grass. And you will like it when your team plays on grass. 30 years from now Colts fans will be saying: "Wish the Colts had always played on grass." Change is good and you won't want to change back.

Are you going to find something else to talk about?

BTW, the NFL is a meat market, and because of just a few players commanding so much of the cap space, players on first year contracts are a bigger part of the future than ever before. Long careers, meh. 

NFL interest is at an all time high and so is the $$$, and the loss of players at the current level is manageable. Next man up. 

Also the larger problem is the players train year round, are very muscle bound, bigger, faster, and pounding against the same.

Grass is a +, but so is managing practice time. More walk through, less pad time, veteran days off. As a whole, much more important than grass for everyone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PackersNation said:

The league is interested in looking good.  Imagine having a stadium partially filled because they took the roof off the new joint and the fans revolt by not showing up.  That wouldn't look good on TV.

Yeah, true, all teams used to play without a roof, but getting today's fans to sit out in the snow and rain after a few decades under the roof is going to cause many to sell their season tickets.

I don't think the technology is there yet that will allow grass to grow without natural sunlight?  My .02.

3 hours ago, PackersNation said:

Thanks for your concern of our boy's in blue and their ACL's

However, I couldn't help but sense a bit of thirst, or dehydration in your post. 

As you gear up for the next game day, I wanted to drop a quick note to remind you of something just as important as cheering for the packers and real grass—staying hydrated! While it's easy to get caught up in the excitement and passion of the game, don’t forget to keep that water bottle close by.

Drinking water not only helps keep you feeling great but also ensures you stay sharp for every play and every cheer. So, let’s make a game plan: for every touchdown, take a sip. For every incredible play, another sip. That way, you’ll stay hydrated and ready to support THE real grass runners - the Packers!  through every exhilarating moment.

Here’s to a fantastic game day filled with hydration and victories!

Go Pack Go!

Warm regards,

AKB