Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greg Cosell on the Russ Tucker podcast/ Breaking down the AFC South

I was listening to the Russ Tucker podcast and Russ had Greg Cosell on and he is a regular on the show and I think most people here and in general respect him as an talent evaluator. Cosell gave his views on the AFC south and you can listen to whole Russ Tucker podcast. His take is pretty consistent with what most people feel on this board about the Colts moving forward. What I found most interesting is that he felt Raimann was not the answer at LT as he says "he hasn't panned out". Very interesting, as most people on this forum feel that Raimann is that franchise LT. He did also touch on corner. Paye has not become that guy and the need to drat Latu and Cosell is very high on him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I was listening to the Russ Tucker podcast and Russ had Greg Cosell on and he is a regular on the show and I think most people here and in general respect him as an talent evaluator. Cosell gave his views on the AFC south and you can listen to whole Russ Tucker podcast. His take is pretty consistent with what most people feel on this board about the Colts moving forward. What I found most interesting is that he felt Raimann was not the answer at LT as he says "he hasn't panned out". Very interesting, as most people on this forum feel that Raimann is that franchise LT. He did also touch on corner. Paye has not become that guy and the need to drat Latu and Cosell is very high on him.

Looking at our schedule and the talent we have on the roster, I see no reason why we can't salvage 10 wins out of this. Assuming our key guys stay healthy = AR, Taylor, Pittman, Downs, Nelson, Buckner, Grover, Franklin, Latu will be a huge key if he has a great year, and Kenny Moore. Matt Gay as well.

I see us as a Wildcard around 6th or 7th. Texans are the team to beat in the division - should win 11 games if Stroud stays healthy, having said that if we beat them on opening day, that will give us the upper hand early :thmup:.

• Like 2

Yeah, this is a second podcast I've heard Cosell say something to the effect of Raimann not having panned out or being a questionmark. I usually love his analysis on players and prospects, but for the life of me I cannot figure out what he's basing this on. He usually watches a ton of tape and this is the foundation of his evaluation. Maybe he caught just a few games and it just happened to be Raimann's worst ones? No idea... I vehemently disagree with him in this evaluation. At this point I would rather bet on Raimann getting a big long term contract(20M+ per) than him not being Colts' LT after his rookie contract is up. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, krunk said:

What drove his statement about Raiman? What metric or anything else? I don't buy his take.

The one thing about Cosell, he goes over film in  when evaluating players. He is highly respected and there is no  denying that. He maybe wrong, however, he doesn't just throw out statements like that. I am not disagreeing and/or agreeing with his take, as he is way above my pay grade when it comes to evaluating players. If you ever listen to Cosell, he goes into great detail when he is evaluating player pre and post draft. I just thought it was very interesting because every Colts pod cast you listen to, they are gearing up for Raimann's next contract which they say is deserved of franchise LT money.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The one thing about Cosell, he goes over film in  when evaluating players. He is highly respected and there is no  denying that. He maybe wrong, however, he doesn't just throw out statements like that. I am not disagreeing and/or agreeing with his take, as he is way above my pay grade when it comes to evaluating players. If you ever listen to Cosell, he goes into great detail when he is evaluating player pre and post draft. I just thought it was very interesting because every Colts pod cast you listen to, they are gearing up for Raimann's next contract which they say is deserved of franchise LT money.

I'm guessing he didn't watch many Colts games.   To say Raimann hasn't panned out is nonsense.    I'm not suggesting he is All Pro, but he has played very well

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm guessing he didn't watch many Colts games.   To say Raimann hasn't panned out is nonsense.    I'm not suggesting he is All Pro, but he has played very well

Yes I did, but mine and or your evaluations would pale in comparison to what a guy like Cosell would see. I said in previous posts that I am not disagreeing and/or agreeing with Cosell. Remember this is not my thoughts on Raimann. Please read the topic. I just found it very interesting that Cosell pointed to Raimann as not that guy.  Cosell looks at film when he evaluates a guy and doesn't just pull things out of thin air . Like i said, most here and in Colts land say he is a franchise LT. Cosell thinks he has not panned out. Not my view but very interesting. Oh and bye the way he had Latu as his best rush end and he loved Mitchell and I believe had him as his 3rd best wr. He loved Mitchell's traits and game tape and Latu's production and he was relentless but then again what does he know?

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yes I did, but mine and or your evaluations would pale in comparison to what a guy like Cosell would see. I said in previous posts that I am not disagreeing and/or agreeing with Cosell. Remember this is not my thoughts on Raimann. Please read the topic. I just found it very interesting that Cosell pointed to Raimann as not that guy.  Cosell looks at film when he evaluates a guy and doesn't just pull things out of thin air . Like i said, most here and in Colts land say he is a franchise LT. Cosell thinks he has not panned out. Not my view but very interesting. Oh and bye the way he had Latu as his best rush end and he loved Mitchell and I believe had him as his 3rd best wr. He loved Mitchell's traits and game tape and Latu's production and he was relentless but then again what does he know?

When I said he must not have watched many colts games, I was referring to Cosel not you. 

He also said Wentz was one of the most talented qbs in the league after the Colts traded for him.   So there is that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jvan1973 said:

When I said he must not have watched many colts games, I was referring to Cosel not you. 

He also said Wentz was one of the most talented qbs in the league after the Colts traded for him.   So there is that

The Office Lol GIF

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Gotcha. Wentz was  one of the most talented qbs in the league based on physical traits. The Colts, in their assessment of Wentz, didn't realize they were not getting the same player mentally. I am not a Wentz apologist but I do,  and said it at the time, the Oline needed to take some responsibility in what he became. He was battered and bruised by the lack of protection and I think the beating he took in Philly and the early one he took with the Colts, knocked whatever was left of a starting qb in that body and mind. The point I am making is this. We can say he is our franchise LT and say he played really well and is deserved of a  big 2nd contract.  If one were just to look at it objectively.  Say fans and Colts media have him rated as a 7.5 and based on Cosell's comments he has him as a 5.0. Do you think Cosell could be so way off in his evaluation of Raimann? That is just what I found interesting. I mean I could say Cosell say that Raimann was say average and go okay, we can live with that. To say that he is not the answer and/or has not panned out is a different monster all together.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

"Greg Cosell is indeed a highly regarded NFL evaluator. As an NFL analyst and senior producer at NFL Films, he has earned respect from insiders for his extensive football knowledge. His evaluations, particularly of quarterbacks, carry significant weight in the football community. So, when Cosell weighs in on players before or after an NFL draft, it’s worth paying attention to his insights and assessments." Easy google search  🏈

Learn more

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Do you think Cosell could be so way off in his evaluation of Raimann? That is just what I found interesting. I mean I could say Cosell say that Raimann was say average and go okay, we can live with that. To say that he is not the answer and/or has not panned out is a different monster all together.

Greg Cosell is really good. He's just like everyone else, in that he can be dead wrong about a player for a variety of reasons. And just like everyone else, he's missed many times in the past.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

Greg Cosell is really good. He's just like everyone else, in that he can be dead wrong about a player for a variety of reasons. And just like everyone else, he's missed many times in the past.

Totally agree on everyone misses and that is usually pre draft and how their talent translates into the NFL.  What I  find very interesting about Cosell's comments is that he is not speculating on how Raimann will translate in the NFL. I assume, he is looking at current tape and how Raimann is performing. Like I said, he seems to be way off on what the general public and  how the local media  feels about Raimann. I could see if he said he is just an average LT as many fan bases and the media tend to over and under value a player. I just find it very interesting that someone of Cosell's reputation would say that he is not the answer. I could see him saying he is average but not the answer seems like a big misevaluation based on game tape. Just doesn't make sense to me.

30 minutes ago, Superman said:

In the podcast he talked about the corner still being a concern. Agreed

Talked about EJ Speed having a good year and Franklin a tackling machine. Agreed.

Talked about Paye not being that guy and the need to pick Latu.

That is why the comment about Raimann was out of left field as his overall take listed above is  consistent with what most people think in the media and on this board. One interesting note was that  a lot of people Cosell  talked to were really high on Concalves. I think most people here thought he was to play guard and/or center, but the people he talked to felt he could play LT in the NFL.  Just interesting that I think all of us would agree with his assessment until the curve ball regarding Raimann. I would be one to go with his assessment in that maybe he is not that franchise LT.  When his contract  comes do, then we shall know what the Colts truly think of Raimann.

Rainmann is going to have to get better with power rushers. I don’t know if that means weight and getting stronger. He has struggled against power. But saying he hasn’t panned out is crazy I wonder if he got him mixed up with Freeland since Freeland played so much last season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Talked about EJ Speed having a good year and Franklin a tackling machine. Agreed.

That is why the comment about Raimann was out of left field as his overall take listed above is  consistent with what most people think in the media and on this board. One interesting note was that  a lot of people Cosell  talked to were really high on Concalves. I think most people here thought he was to play guard and/or center, but the people he talked to felt he could play LT in the NFL.  Just interesting that I think all of us would agree with his assessment until the curve ball regarding Raimann. I would be one to go with his assessment in that maybe he is not that franchise LT.  When his contract  comes do, then we shall know what the Colts truly think of Raimann.

We would have to pick pretty high to move on from Rainmann. That would mean a bad season and that isn’t happening.  I doubt they would pay a LT in FA. That’s too much money.

13 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Totally agree on everyone misses and that is usually pre draft and how their talent translates into the NFL.  What I  find very interesting about Cosell's comments is that he is not speculating on how Raimann will translate in the NFL. I assume, he is looking at current tape and how Raimann is performing. Like I said, he seems to be way off on what the general public and  how the local media  feels about Raimann. I could see if he said he is just an average LT as many fan bases and the media tend to over and under value a player. I just find it very interesting that someone of Cosell's reputation would say that he is not the answer. I could see him saying he is average but not the answer seems like a big misevaluation based on game tape. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

If he said something like 'Raimann isn't a franchise LT, but he's serviceable,' I probably wouldn't bat an eye. If he said 'they could probably improve at LT because I'm not sure Raimann will hold up,' my ears would perk up a little, but that's still a defensible opinion. Saying he has not panned out is a different story. I interpret that as meaning he thinks Raimann has played poorly, which is objectively not true.

Like you said, we can disagree on a draft prospect, and only time will tell. If someone has doubts about how someone on the team will perform in the future, that's fair. But saying Raimann has not panned out is based on what we've already seen, and in this case, I think Cosell is just wrong. 

Maybe I'm taking his comment too literally. I listened to the interview, it was just one line in a broader discussion, and maybe if he was going to clarify he'd state his position differently. 

• Like 3

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We would have to pick pretty high to move on from Rainmann. That would mean a bad season and that isn’t happening.  I doubt they would pay a LT in FA. That’s too much money.

Not unless they feel that one of the Oline men they drafted could develop into a LT. They used a 3rd a 4th on Oline this year and that is what they used on Raimann when they drafted. I am not saying Raimann is trash. Like I said, a lot of people on this forum and the media are high on him and Cosell is not.  He could be some where in the middle in how the Colts feel about them. If that is true, then  I would tend to believe that he has not cemented himself as the franchise LT moving forward.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

If he said something like 'Raimann isn't a franchise LT, but he's serviceable,' I probably wouldn't bat an eye. If he said 'they could probably improve at LT because I'm not sure Raimann will hold up,' my ears would perk up a little, but that's still a defensible opinion. Saying he has not panned out is a different story. I interpret that as meaning he thinks Raimann has played poorly, which is objectively not true.

Like you said, we can disagree on a draft prospect, and only time will tell. If someone has doubts about how someone on the team will perform in the future, that's fair. But saying Raimann has not panned out is based on what we've already seen, and in this case, I think Cosell is just wrong. 

Maybe I'm taking his comment too literally. I listened to the interview, it was just one line in a broader discussion, and maybe if he was going to clarify he'd state his position differently. 

Agree in that he may have used the incorrect words in trying to get his point across.   I would have to listen to it again but I believe he did say that the Colts have basically not found their starting LT.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

The Colts part in the podcast is from 9:50 til about 13:40, so it is a short listen. He said LT is a big question. Struggled at that position since Castanzo left. Raimann has not really panned out. Need the position to be solidified. Like the Oline man from Pitt and there is a belief that he can play LT. It could mean nothing but teams do draft for next years free agent market. I believe Raimann is up for a contract and could give the Colts some flexibility if Raimann wants huge money and/or if they don't really think he is he answer moving forward and Conclaves shows something. Let be honest,  Cosell could be totally opposite of what the Colts think of Raimann as a LT.  

37 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Rainmann is going to have to get better with power rushers. I don’t know if that means weight and getting stronger. He has struggled against power. But saying he hasn’t panned out is crazy I wonder if he got him mixed up with Freeland since Freeland played so much last season.

I may be wrong, but I think he improved year-over-year in this category

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Agree in that he may have used the incorrect words in trying to get his point across.   I would have to listen to it again but I believe he did say that the Colts have basically not found their starting LT.

Between Lombardi and Cosell you have interesting evaluators.   Both are wrong often

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/colts-bernhard-raimann-massive-step-forward-2023#:~:text=The once-struggling rookie emerged,and as a pass blocker.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Yeah I don't think it's a problem of him misstating his opinion. I think his opinion is essentially exactly what he said - the Colts need a LT because Raimann hasn't panned out. Here's another interview with him about the Colts from a few weeks ago where he says pretty much the same thing:

I would love for him to elaborate on it and share what in Raimann's play he doesn't feel like is holding up in the league and why he thinks he hasn't panned out. I would also like to hear what games he's watched. Maybe he's just seen a very unfortunate selection of games where Raimann was not particularly good...  In this one he says "he hasn't been ready... And then they played their 4th round pick from last year Blake Freeland and he is not a LT and he really really struggled. So that's where they had big issue - at LT". So my guess would be - he probably saw one of Raimann's worse games... Then when he got injured and Freeland played, Greg probably saw Freeland at LT and just assumed the Colts benched Raimann. That's my best guess as to how he would get to those conclusions.

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Well, what I hear from Colts fans all the time is Raimann is already one of the best LTs in the league and that Colts have one of the best OL in the league. Remember, most of the same people were calling for widespread change after that bad 2022 season, just a year back. So, what Colts fans say is mostly recency bias, just like any other fan base. If Colts OL plays in 2024 like how they played with Matt Ryan, then the narratives will easily change.

On the other hand, Cosell wouldn't have that "Fan Loyalty" bias and doesn't have the need to hype up Raimann... Raimann might have played very well, but Cosell probably sees that he may struggle when the opposing edge rushers and DCs are going to plan specifically to beat him. Raimann could still emerge victorios most often, but that's something we'll need to see. Cosell could be totally wrong here, but he's seen something in the film to say so even if he'd not elaborated on that. It's not like Raimann wouldn't improve so let's hope he'd do well in future. 

• Like 2

PFF recently ranked the top 32 tackles in the league heading into the 2024 season.  Raimann was ranked 16th right behind Braden Smith who was 15th.  Last year was Raimann’s  2nd year on the team.  His 81.3 pass blocking grade was 9th among all tackles last year.  Last year was the OL’s first year with a new position coach too.  Two years in he’s doing pretty good I would say.  I like Cosell but he really seems to have missed the mark on his analysis of Raimann.

• Like 5

I believe Raimann will be very solid at OT, and the rest of our OL in general, as long as Anthony Richardson is back there at QB.

However, should Flacco be pressed into service (and I pray he will not be), then I'm not really confident about the pass protection.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Yeah I don't think it's a problem of him misstating his opinion. I think his opinion is essentially exactly what he said - the Colts need a LT because Raimann hasn't panned out. Here's another interview with him about the Colts from a few weeks ago where he says pretty much the same thing:

I would love for him to elaborate on it and share what in Raimann's play he doesn't feel like is holding up in the league and why he thinks he hasn't panned out. I would also like to hear what games he's watched. Maybe he's just seen a very unfortunate selection of games where Raimann was not particularly good...  In this one he says "he hasn't been ready... And then they played their 4th round pick from last year Blake Freeland and he is not a LT and he really really struggled. So that's where they had big issue - at LT". So my guess would be - he probably saw one of Raimann's worse games... Then when he got injured and Freeland played, Greg probably saw Freeland at LT and just assumed the Colts benched Raimann. That's my best guess as to how he would get to those conclusions.

Here’s a question, how much has Nelson had to help Raiman?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

U take Zach Hicks and I will stick with Lombardi and  Cosell in evaluating players. U r trying to make it personal and all I started out saying was that of all the weaknesses on the Colts, Cowell picked LT when most people here see it as a strength. 

"Franchise" LT's make Pro Bowls. And they consistently hold their own against the best. How many are there? 6 or so.

Raimann has improved considerably as we know. He is at minimum serviceable +. He is pretty good.

His best is yet to come and let's see how he does against the best teams.

18 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The only thing I can think is that he only watched Raimann's rookie tape and somehow missed his play last year altogether?.....

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U take Zach Hicks and I will stick with Lombardi and  Cosell in evaluating players. U r trying to make it personal and all I started out saying was that of all the weaknesses on the Colts, Cowell picked LT when most people here see it as a strength. 

Raimann has improved immensely and will be a top 10 LT this year. Cosell probably watched the Denver game only. 

31 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

The only thing I can think is that he only watched Raimann's rookie tape and somehow missed his play last year altogether?.....

He only watched the Denver game 2 years ago.

• Thanks 1

Yep, not Cosell’s best work.  Raimann hasn’t worked out, lol.  Ya can’t say many ignorant things like that or you’ll basically become Prisco.  You know…a clown.

• Like 1

I remember years ago that a few people here were complaining about Costanzo.

Not every player is going to be an all pro.   Could someone be better?  Sure, but most of the time Good is Good Enough.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I remember years ago that a few people here were complaining about Costanzo.

Not every player is going to be an all pro.   Could someone be better?  Sure, but most of the time Good is Good Enough.

I'd go so far as to say that Raimann was "very good" last year, not just "good".

You can't have Mahomes or Aaron Donald at every position on your team. Some people's expectations are just crazy though.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Archer said:

Yep, not Cosell’s best work.  Raimann hasn’t worked out, lol.  Ya can’t say many ignorant things like that or you’ll basically become Prisco.  You know…a clown.

U mean like he loved Latu coming out and Mitchell as his 3rd best receiver.  Based on what u just said, they were brutal picks by the Colts.

U mean like he loved Latu coming out and Mitchell as his 3rd best receiver.  Based on what u just said, they were brutal picks by the Colts.

Seriously?

Colts’ offense used a lot of slants and screen in 2023 using RPO plays and pre-snap motion while running the ball on 44.1% of plays.  The Colts have the 12th-best run blocking lines led by Raimann and ran his directions on 16% of rushes.

Raimann according to PFF (run-blocking grades) actually ranked 8th best OL with an 82.3 grade and Braden Smith ranked 6th for the Colts with an 83.3 grade in 2023.  Smith had an elite 90.1 run-blocking grade still a work in progress with his pass-blocking efficiency.  Raimann has proven himself to be an insane athlete and potentially long-term option at left tackle for the Colts.  His overall grade improved from 73.3 in 2022 to an 82.3 in 2023 and his pass-blocking grade improved from 71.4 to 80.6 in 2023.

More worried about Smith's injuries and longevity compounded with his salary cap hit heading into next season.  Feel the Colts offensive line will be different next season minus Kelly, Fries, and potentially Smith all gone.  Probably a good thing AR has bulked up and currently the heaviest starting QB in the league. 

Raimann is a keeper.  Could he play RT instead and we draft another LT or vice versa and draft a LT move to RT is to be seen.

On 6/3/2024 at 2:13 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Not unless they feel that one of the Oline men they drafted could develop into a LT. They used a 3rd a 4th on Oline this year and that is what they used on Raimann when they drafted. I am not saying Raimann is trash. Like I said, a lot of people on this forum and the media are high on him and Cosell is not.  He could be some where in the middle in how the Colts feel about them. If that is true, then  I would tend to believe that he has not cemented himself as the franchise LT moving forward.

When the Colts drafted Goncalves they said they think he could play 4 positions at the NFL level.   All but Left Tackle.  So he is not a replacement for Raimann.   odds are Goncalves will play RG and some RT. 

I’m a Cosell fan.  He’s forgotten more about football than anyone here knows.  But his opinion on Raimann is beyond head scratching. 

Raimann scored in the low to mid 70’s his rookie year.  Then scored in the low 80’s last year.   I don’t know what he thinks of PFF scores,  but there is more to this opinion than meets the eye.  Something doesn’t add up at all.  

• Like 3