Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Early NFL power rankings

CBS sports has us last in the AFC south putting Tennessee above us.  Most every one lists us between 18-24. 

I hope the Colts come out with a chip on their shoulders and take care of business with a healthy AR 

• Like 1

The only thing about the Titans that worries me is their interior DL. Simmons and Sweat are going to be a problem.

• Like 1

Every year these early Power Rankings go out across all media. And every year they get the Colts wrong. Sometimes we're ranked way too high, sometimes too low. 

But I'm not shocked. There are a lot of unknowns and unprovens with this team. A lot of hope on Richardson being healthy. Way too many variables to accurately predict how we'll do. Training camp in July will give us a bit of a clearer picture. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We returned the same team that picked no. 15 in the draft so... anything in that range IMO is reasonable... and if you think other teams got better while we stayed the same then you can probably drop us a few spots too. 

To be honest those power rankings are kind of meaningless. Our team is relying heavily on AR's return and internal development. And both of those hold a lot of unknowns so... there is a range of outcomes I can see happening but what's most likely IMO is that we are about the same we were last year... Lets see how the teams fare on the field during the season and we can talk about power rankings... 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, stitches said:

We returned the same team that picked no. 15 in the draft so... anything in that range IMO is reasonable... and if you think other teams got better while we stayed the same then you can probably drop us a few spots too. 

To be honest those power rankings are kind of meaningless. Our team is relying heavily on AR's return and internal development. And both of those hold a lot of unknowns so... there is a range of outcomes I can see happening but what's most likely IMO is that we are about the same we were last year... Lets see how the teams fare on the field during the season and we can talk about power rankings... 

we aren’t staying the same though. Don’t underestimate what Richardson does for this team. 

25 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

we aren’t staying the same though. Don’t underestimate what Richardson does for this team. 

I don't think anyone here is questioning what he will do. I've said he makes the Pro Bowl if healthy. I think the media is questioning if he can stay healthy. 

• Like 2

Just now, DattMavis said:

I don't think anyone here is questioning what he will do. I've said he makes the Pro Bowl if healthy. I think the media is questioning if he can stay healthy. 

Correct.  And rightfully so.  

At least we have a guy with an arm to step in if he goes down again.  (Maybe no legs though)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

Last year especially in the AFC it was just a weird year with QB injuries. I am trying not to be worried unless we see it again.  Right now I don’t think we should be worried. If it happens again though then panic sets in. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Lets see how the teams fare on the field during the season and we can talk about power rankings... 

Well, yeah. The pre season power rankings are just like mock drafts. Meaningless once the real deal starts. 
As for the Colts being the same as last year, I disagree. Their secondary is a year more experienced. That alone will help, as will a healthier TE group; JT being in playing shape from the get go; the WR corps is deeper and better; and they have a new young pass rush talent. I think the Colts are better. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Because of the known unknowns, the different schedule, other teams new talent, I think I would take the bet of + - 3 on the 15th draft position for next year. 12-18.

But if we are fully Steichenized in year two, winning the penalty/turnover battles, let's go 11-6 and have a home Playoff game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

Well, yeah. The pre season power rankings are just like mock drafts. Meaningless once the real deal starts. 
As for the Colts being the same as last year, I disagree. Their secondary is a year more experienced. That alone will help, as will a healthier TE group; JT being in playing shape from the get go; the WR corps is deeper and better; and they have a new young pass rush talent. I think the Colts are better. 

The TEs will be huge.  Last year Granson was our #1 TE much of the year, and this year I see him being #4 (if he makes the team)…

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Archer said:

The TEs will be huge.  Last year Granson was our #1 TE much of the year, and this year I see him being #4 (if he makes the team)…

I don’t think colts had a number one tight end. It was by commitee and Minshew was not very good in the middle of the field hitting them.

19 minutes ago, Archer said:

If we stay healthy, we are better! The lower they predict us the better. It truly means nothing. They must believe all 3 teams in the South got better and we have regressed. Can’t wait for the Schedule release!!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

But if we are fully Steichenized in year two, winning the penalty/turnover battles, let's go 11-6 and have a home Playoff game.

Ha! “Steichenized” is not in the dictionary, last time I checked. Yet somehow it made total sense. 

10 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Why are the Jets so high in many rankings Aaron Rodgers is 40 and coming off a serious injury.

Because Aaron Rodgers. He could enter the season with one eye and part of his brain removed and STILL get a high power ranking. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Because Aaron Rodgers. He could enter the season with one eye and part of his brain removed and STILL get a high power ranking. 

He has a whole brain?  

Bottom line is we should be ranked in the 14-18 range as a mediocre team for now, and until we sign a veteran CB or FS, you could make a case for ranking the Colts at 20 or so. It feels like an offseason as of now where we strengthened our strengths and didn't improve our weaknesses (besides WR). RB depth is still bad, TEs are still iffy with the same group based on potential after we missed out on Bowers, not sure if we actually have a solid cover LB, and the secondary is a mess still with only a couple day 3 additions and a re-signing of Blackmon for a year.

The strengths are great strengths and they should help carry us with the trenches. However, our team is going to depend a lot on players coming back that were hurt. Mostly at the QB position and the secondary (also TE with Woods which is underestimated). I would feel much better if we signed a one-year veteran at either CB or FS.

Otherwise, there are other teams in our division, conference, and in the NFL as a whole that got better in FA and the draft. A lot of teams picked ahead of us and had more picks/more draft value as well. I feel like we are that middle child type team where the top teams who pick lower in the draft are much better than us, and the worse teams sign lots of FAs every year and draft higher than us. It always feels like we lose ground or remain stagnant until we can get the QB position right. That needs to happen before we can become an elite team in the NFL, start regularly winning the division, and become a top 10 team on the normal.

My $0.02 cents.

20 hours ago, KB said:

The only thing about the Titans that worries me is their interior DL. Simmons and Sweat are going to be a problem.

Sweat could easily bust with his off the field and sometimes work ethic issues. Plus he’s too heavy to stay on the field consistently.