Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Select Laiatu Latu Edge UCLA

CR91

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

So he is not going to play this year without a new contract?  Even in SF?

No, he won't.

And I'm not a guy who makes definitive statements like this very often. But I think it's plain as day that Aiyuk will be getting a new contract before the season starts, whether it's with the Niners or another team. 

Just now, superrep1967 said:

Both Latu and Turner both have the same draft grade of 84. So the Colts must have saw something they liked better than Turner although Turner is the better athlete. 

How much DE did Turner play?   Didn't he mainly play OLB?

Just now, Superman said:

If there's really no way to trade back, I viewed Dallas Turner as the best guy on the board. It's easy to understand why the Colts had Latu ahead of him. I like Byron Murphy also, but we know what the Colts have done at DT already. I guess BTJ would have been my choice, but I never expected the Colts to draft a WR in the first round. Knowing that everyone feels good about the medicals, Latu makes all the sense in the world.

You viewed Turner as best? You’ve been unsure of him for a while. I was curious last night what your thoughts were. We’ve had some discussion on pass rushers. I really didn’t feel that Latu was going to be an option at 15, and wouldn’t be a trade up target over a receiver. I never really engaged much with him as a prospect, I guess for that reason. All the simulations I did showed turner available more and not much of Latu. 

i would have preferred a trade up for Odunze, but I will never complain about preserving draft capital and taking the first defender of the draft at 15… I think Latu is walking into a great situation defensively. Defensive line has enough pieces that he can be used most effectively and without a ton of pressure early on.  

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

Latu was interviewed twice last night, once for nfl radio and once on tv, both times, BOTH times he said he never had any talks with anyone from the Colts and had no idea they were interested. To me, that’s telling. Go watch the clips for yourself if you don’t believe me

not sure but didn’t we do the same with Nelson with minimal interaction  pre-draft ?

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

You viewed Turner as best? You’ve been unsure of him for a while. I was curious last night what your thoughts were. We’ve had some discussion on pass rushers. I really didn’t feel that Latu was going to be an option at 15, and wouldn’t be a trade up target over a receiver. I never really engaged much with him as a prospect, I guess for that reason. All the simulations I did showed turner available more and not much of Latu. 

i would have preferred a trade up for Odunze, but I will never complain about preserving draft capital and taking the first defender of the draft at 15… I think Latu is walking into a great situation defensively. Defensive line has enough pieces that he can be used most effectively and without a ton of pressure early on.  

I like Turner, just didn't see him as a scheme fit for the Colts. I also expected him to be gone in the top 10-ish. I'm not totally shocked by the way the top of the round went, but I never would have called 14 straight offensive players. I figured someone would trade up for a pass rusher. The Falcons taking Penix is the real shocker, I'm still not over that one...

If we believe Ballard from last night, they were probably trying to trade up for Odunze. And I guess the Bears at #9 is kind of a surprise, they only have four picks, and that was the spot that I expected a trade back, especially since they already have Keenan Allen and DJ Moore. But they're doubling down on a strength, which isn't a bad strategy.

I think Latu projects as a matchup problem for blockers. He's an edge who might attract a double team on passing downs, which is something we haven't had in a while. While our pass rush is anemic at times, I think the DL is solid. Now you drop in a guy who can win on the edge, and there's potential for a big step up. And we still have other young guys who have been improving, despite how people here disregard them. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I like Turner, just didn't see him as a scheme fit for the Colts. I also expected him to be gone in the top 10-ish. I'm not totally shocked by the way the top of the round went, but I never would have called 14 straight offensive players. I figured someone would trade up for a pass rusher. The Falcons taking Penix is the real shocker, I'm still not over that one...

If we believe Ballard from last night, they were probably trying to trade up for Odunze. And I guess the Bears at #9 is kind of a surprise, they only have four picks, and that was the spot that I expected a trade back, especially since they already have Keenan Allen and DJ Moore. But they're doubling down on a strength, which isn't a bad strategy.

I think Latu projects as a matchup problem for blockers. He's an edge who might attract a double team on passing downs, which is something we haven't had in a while. While our pass rush is anemic at times, I think the DL is solid. Now you drop in a guy who can win on the edge, and there's potential for a big step up. And we still have other young guys who have been improving, despite how people here disregard them. 

Yeah... there is very little room for excuses now. The defense will need to create pressures. You have 3 first rounders and one of the highest paid nose tackles in the league. You have another 2nd rounder coming in rotation and one of the highest paid backup nose tackles too... This defense needs to take a step forward. 

• Like 5

By the way this is not a good pick for Paye as the Colts have to make a decision on a 5th year option next month. IMO I don’t see anyway the Colts pickup that option.  I myself have not been a fan of Paye’s he good against the run but not so much as pass rusher. We needed more production there which is why we drafted Latu. 

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

No, he won't.

And I'm not a guy who makes definitive statements like this very often. But I think it's plain as day that Aiyuk will be getting a new contract before the season starts, whether it's with the Niners or another team. 

I am on board with it being the Colts.  

12 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

By the way this is not a good pick for Paye as the Colts have to make a decision on a 5th year option next month. IMO I don’t see anyway the Colts pickup that option.  I myself have not been a fan of Paye’s he good against the run but not so much as pass rusher. We needed more production there which is why we drafted Latu. 

Listen to Ballard’s press conference last night.   It’s not long.  And he spends a good amount of time talking up Kwity.  I’m not predicting the Colts are picking up his 5th year option, but I’m confidently predicting he’ll be back with the Colts next year.  Listen to Ballard and you might just agree. 

• Like 1

Like other posters have said, not the guy I wanted but I'm very happy with the pick.

You can  never have too many pass rushers and maybe Ballard is thinking the best way to handle Stroud, Lawrence and Levis is to beef up the pass rush and get after them !

• Like 1

13 hours ago, paoconno said:

Hey All,

I'm a writer/producer for a station out in LA. We just did a feature on your newest Colts, Laiatu Latu. Link is below for anyone interested. He is a great kid, good head on his shoulders, in addition to being a stud on the field. You guys got a good one.

Great piece! Thank you for sharing. 

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I am on board with it being the Colts.  

I offered it as an option months ago, but I don't think he's the right fit with Pittman. Among the likely available veteran trade options, he's the only one I'd consider.

But I think maybe the Niners keep him, and trade Deebo.

Ballard may have landed the DE Edge that he needed to make Gus Bradley's scheme work. We all know that to be able to select an elite pass rusher, which Latu is, you have to be in the top 3 picks.  We got lucky and we got him with the 15th. No WR or CB comes close to matching an elite pass rusher. With Buckner and Grover, and a good DL coach there is NO EXCUSE to close out the games. 

In the Max Crosby show "RUSH" Latu expressed that he did not mind playing for the BUCS, RAVENS and TEXANS. I don't blame him because they all have great defensive coaches. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

Right. I didn’t mean down on him as a player, but as a fit for our needs. I was surprised by the bears taking Odunze as well (and I doubt very many people saw the falcons doing what they did.) I was surprised the raiders took bowers too. I thought once he made it through the jets pick, he would be there. But we might not have taken him over Latu. I don’t know. I think Odunze was our target though. He might have briefly entertained the cardinals for Harrison, but that was never going to happen, not from the capital we would have to give up nor from them potentially not even answering our phone call. It was too far to move for them. The bears made a lot of sense to move back. 

Ballard said he looked at it as completing the d-line. Makes sense that he was making a play for Hunter, as he would certainly have fit that same puzzle piece in their eyes, and freed up the spot last night. Just didn’t work out. Hope it all comes together. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

@NewColtsFan we talked about expectations of the DL with the new coach a while ago. Does this pick change your expectations? Short term and long term? 

The one question I wanted the media to ask Ballard….    They didn’t.   

What role did Partridge play on the selection of Latu?    I really wanted that answer.   

To me, Partridge played a key role.  And given I wanted the Colts to pick a DE either  in the 1st or 2nd round, I’m a pretty happy guy.  I got my Day One wish.  

Tonight is a big night..   hoping for WR and CB.   But Ballard may use a pick for a LB who would be Leonard 2.0.   I hope not, but we’ll find out soon. 

Hoping I answered your question.  If not, give me a follow up.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I offered it as an option months ago, but I don't think he's the right fit with Pittman. Among the likely available veteran trade options, he's the only one I'd consider.

But I think maybe the Niners keep him, and trade Deebo.

Mike Lombardi on the McAfee show today he thinks they would prefer to trade Deebo.  He would the most expensive to acquire but he is really a rb playing wr.  Reportedly they want a  second and third for Deebo.  Aiyuk plays the outside very effectively.  Deebo is an inside receiver according to him.  He thinks they will prefer to keep Aiyuk.

5 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Ballard may have landed the DE Edge that he needed to make Gus Bradley's scheme work. We all know that to be able to select an elite pass rusher, which Latu is, you have to be in the top 3 picks.  We got lucky and we got him with the 15th. No WR or CB comes close to matching an elite pass rusher. With Buckner and Grover, and a good DL coach there is NO EXCUSE to close out the games. 

In the Max Crosby show "RUSH" Latu expressed that he did not mind playing for the BUCS, RAVENS and TEXANS. I don't blame him because they all have great defensive coaches. 

I'm no fan of the way Bradley runs this scheme, but for it to work as designed, you have to be able to get consistent pass rush with the front four. Adding another good edge definitely helps get you closer to that goal. And we'll see how Partridge helps, I know his reputation is great, but let's see how it goes.

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Right. I didn’t mean down on him as a player, but as a fit for our needs. I was surprised by the bears taking Odunze as well (and I doubt very many people saw the falcons doing what they did.) I was surprised the raiders took bowers too. I thought once he made it through the jets pick, he would be there. But we might not have taken him over Latu. I don’t know. I think Odunze was our target though. He might have briefly entertained the cardinals for Harrison, but that was never going to happen, not from the capital we would have to give up nor from them potentially not even answering our phone call. It was too far to move for them. The bears made a lot of sense to move back. 

Ballard said he looked at it as completing the d-line. Makes sense that he was making a play for Hunter, as he would certainly have fit that same puzzle piece in their eyes, and freed up the spot last night. Just didn’t work out. Hope it all comes together. 

Once the 6 (SIX!!!!) QBs were gone, there was no way to predict what the Raiders would do. I don't even think the fans can be mad, they didn't really have a chance to trade up for a QB, and Bowers is a good prospect. I guess Bowers could have been the trade-up target for the Colts also, I just assume it was a WR, and Odunze is the one that was in range.

I am of the impression that Ballard and the entire organization involves their coaches in selecting that player. There is only a handful of elite pass rushers and I am very confident that Ballard Steichen and Gus solicited Partridge's evaluation and fit.

• Thanks 1

I guess Bowers could have been the trade-up target for the Colts also, I just assume it was a WR, and Odunze is the one that was in range.

this is obviously just speculation on my part, but I think Odunze and Bowers were the most likely trades that Ballard tried to make.  Moving up higher than 9 would have been really expensive.

I also think he tried to trade down a few picks but didn't get a deal he liked so went ahead and made the pick.

• Like 3

There is little doubt in my head that if Atlanta doesn’t make that pick, Raiders do not take Bowers. He was the guy I wanted for AR and Shane. I’m now very happy with Latu, we haven’t potentially had a game wrecker since Mathis. Disrupt the AFC south QB’s is the main thing. 

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The one question I wanted the media to ask Ballard….    They didn’t.   

What role did Partridge play on the selection of Latu?    I really wanted that answer.   

To me, Partridge played a key role.  And given I wanted the Colts to pick a DE either  in the 1st or 2nd round, I’m a pretty happy guy.  I got my Day One wish.  

Tonight is a big night..   hoping for WR and CB.   But Ballard may use a pick for a LB who would be Leonard 2.0.   I hope not, but we’ll find out soon. 

Hoping I answered your question.  If not, give me a follow up.  

My question is more along the lines of - what do you think is fair expectation of the DL now that we added another high pedigree player? 

You add an interesting thing to consider - is this pick a change in approach from Ballard or is this pick a change stemming from the preferences of the new DL coach? You are right that question might have been good to ask...

Around the three minute mark, he starts talking about being medically retired by Washington. He got injured, and while he was still working through his options for surgery and recovery, the program told him they were going to medically retire him. Before he got the surgery! He has the operation, then goes out and plays rugby two months after a cervical fusion. That's the Poly way. He had an offer from a pro rugby team in Seattle, but turned it down to keep playing football. 

So yeah, it's right to be concerned by the fusion and his recovery, but it's seeming like the medical retirement was overblown because of how Washington chose to handle it. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Both Latu and Turner both have the same draft grade of 84. So the Colts must have saw something they liked better than Turner although Turner is the better athlete. 

Turner weighs about 15 lbs less. Think Ngauake. Do yourself a favor and checkout the weight of the best DE's. There is a power element when you are fighting with a 315-325 LB tackle.  

Latu is an interesting specimen. He is not at all ripped with his upper body.

With his shirt off at the combine I considered him comparatively whimpy.

And watching game tape his attack I found that I couldn't quite tell why he was so successful. I have since watched him training and had media that I could slow down.

Perhaps because he isn't muscle bound he is very flexible. He does get low with a twist and knee bend and remains smooth. And he does it quickly.

This is Elite.

So i'm watching his attack with his arms and I will describe it like a fierce swim, windmill thing, both arms swinging forward, and it sure looks like the tackles can't time a defense to the motion. Yet he seems to, letting him knock their hands down with precision,, then he instantly drops his shoulder and bends and explodes around them. 

He certainly isn't muscled up like the freak Joey Bosa, but against college players it sure looks very similar. 

His upper body isn't thick but watching him run through the heavy bags he hits them really hard with a compact motion. He is physical and plays fast.

Let's hope he once and for all allows Ballard to take the dunce hat off regarding DE.

• Like 3

Around the three minute mark, he starts talking about being medically retired by Washington. He got injured, and while he was still working through his options for surgery and recovery, the program told him they were going to medically retire him. Before he got the surgery! He has the operation, then goes out and plays rugby two months after a cervical fusion. That's the Poly way. He had an offer from a pro rugby team in Seattle, but turned it down to keep playing football. 

So yeah, it's right to be concerned by the fusion and his recovery, but it's seeming like the medical retirement was overblown because of how Washington chose to handle it. 

Did you see the post from a doctor earlier in the thread? I think they explained in a pretty understandable and succinct way what that surgery means for an athlete.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jason_ said:

this is obviously just speculation on my part, but I think Odunze and Bowers were the most likely trades that Ballard tried to make.  Moving up higher than 9 would have been really expensive.

I also think he tried to trade down a few picks but didn't get a deal he liked so went ahead and made the pick.

I'm back and forth on whether they tried to trade out. I'm sure they would have considered a great offer that didn't require moving down more than 4-5 spots, but the only team that traded up was the Vikings, and they were all the way down at #23. 

But the fact that they could take their highest rated defender at #15 -- and this is the one situation where you know this isn't bogus GM speak, because he was literally the first defender off the board -- is probably exciting. They really lucked out, IMO. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, stitches said:

My question is more along the lines of - what do you think is fair expectation of the DL now that we added another high pedigree player? 

You add an interesting thing to consider - is this pick a change in approach from Ballard or is this pick a change stemming from the preferences of the new DL coach? You are right that question might have been good to ask...

Thanks for the follow up….  

I think adding Latu really ups the DL.  And I think I might be higher on Partridge than anyone else here.   So I’d say the Colts should most always be a 50 sack team as they were last season.  But now hopefully they dial up far more pressures.  Clearly that was lacking last year.   Hoping that we now max out the ability of the DL as a unit and that we finally have a DL that opponents truly fear.   

Hoping this answers your question better than my first attempt.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Just out of curiosity….   Have you read the post by a poster..,  (nsurg). He’s a surgeon and performs the operation that Latu received.  His post was very very encouraging.  

My response is right below his post.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nsurg said:

So he had a cervical fusion... this is a surgery I do frequently.  Once it heals the surgery is more or less the strongest part of the neck.  The biggest problems with a fusion in this context are:

(1) loss of nerve function prior to surgery may or may not recover after surgery, usually over the next 3-12 months (but his production after surgery implies no major concern on this)

(2) the patient will have somewhat accelerated wear/arthritis at non fused levels.  While this is a real concern, it will unfortunately be more of an issue for him later in life, after his NFL career.

Peyton had this surgery as his final neck surgery before playing for the broncos, but his problem was number one above, he apparently never had the same arm strength as before.

Ahmad Bradshaw also had this same surgery in 2013, he already had I think 6 years of RB play prior to that.  His YPC held up but was utilized less, but this may mirror more a tapering RB career.

I'm not personally worried about the medical status of this player, but I have no idea the actual details obviously.  I will say that very few surgeons would be eager to clear the player to play afterwards, mostly for the stupid liability things in medicine.

I think it's fair to say we got a really nice pick here for value.

@Superman this is the post I was talking about.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

Did you see the post from a doctor earlier in the thread? I think they explained in a pretty understandable and succinct way what that surgery means for an athlete.

Yeah, nsurg with the best post of the year, IMO. Relating it to Manning was very helpful. With the surgery in the past and his recovery being obvious from his on field performance, we can consider the operation a success at this point.

Still, cervical fusion makes me wonder about spinal stenosis, future arthritis, etc. 

By the way, Danielle Hunter had a fusion in 2020. We've seen him bounce back. Performed by Dr. Watkins, same doctor that operated on Manning and Latu. So no doubt the Colts were thorough before making this decision.

Edit: Leighton Vander Esch was born with spinal stenosis.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Paye played a career high 700 snap. He was in a rotation with Ebukam, Dayo, and Lewis. You think he should have played 200 more snaps like Joey Bosa? Bosa had 2 more sacks than Kwity.

joey bosa played 9 games in 2023

20 minutes ago, Jason_ said:

The Colts did wait a pretty long time before sending the pick to the podium.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

Just wanted to make a note as to what many people seem to be misunderstanding:

Yes, Latu had a neck injury. Yes, he was medically retired for a season.

However, this was not his decision. Washington essentially forced him to retire after a few team doctors incorrectly said he’d never play again so that the team could open up a scholarship spot and didn’t have to wait for him to get healthy. They never once gave him a chance to prove he was healthy with a physical, so Latu left for UCLA, where he almost immediately passed a physical and was cleared by their team doctors.

Yes, a neck injury is scary, but Latu has played 2 full healthy seasons since that, and the only reason he is being questioned is because Washington and their team doctors failed to do their jobs correctly and let Latu heal.

First things first, long time no see. Hope all is well. 

Second, you bring up a good point or two. In the end, welcome Latu and I can’t wait to see you on the field 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Yeah... there is very little room for excuses now. The defense will need to create pressures. You have 3 first rounders and one of the highest paid nose tackles in the league. You have another 2nd rounder coming in rotation and one of the highest paid backup nose tackles too... This defense needs to take a step forward. 

You read my mind.

If I were to give a title to the 2024-2025 season, it would be "NO MORE EXCUSES".

It's playoffs or bust.

1 hour ago, superrep1967 said:

2-3 seasons from now we can look back and see who had the better career.

Might make for a good message board thread

• Thanks 1