Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Like was said earlier, you're being pedantic. You want to make sure that no one who blamed Reich for the QB situation gives Ballard credit if Richardson works out, and you're trying to push this topic through a tiny pinhole so all the context gets left behind.

nailed it the league GIF by hero0fwar

He started this entire convo out of thin air… 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Rivers, Wentz , Ryan. You seem to want to blame Ballard exclusively for all 3 "failures". In your humble opinion, based on the circumstances at the time, what would you have done?????

Rivers, Wentz , Ryan. You seem to want to blame Ballard exclusively for all 3 "failures". In your humble opinion, based on the circumstances at the time, what would you have done?????

Lets put a cap on this "Influence" topic from my end.

The reason I don't buy into the idea that these QBs were Frank's fault is because I have no idea how Ballard ranked the other options at the time.  Things we don't know:

Trade for another team's starter...at what price.  

Draft a 3rd round developmental prospect.  

The scouting department really likes this guy, but I'm skeptical

Trade up for a top 10 prospect.  The price needed...the team wants two firsts for pick 8, but I only want to give a 1st and a second.

Sign a different FA vet.  Lower quality, but lower price.

I don't know how many options...if any....Ballard discarded himself before he decided to go with Frank's recommendation.  That's typically how executives of any organization make decisions.  They don't just go with the guy who's pounding his fists...if anybody ever was...without also making his own decisions about the other options first.  He knows where Frank stands, so he has that decision in his hip pocket already. 

When he has exhausted the other options, and settles on what Frank wants....then Ballard wants it too...and then it becomes his decision alone and not Frank's fault.  Frank might be fault for making the recommendation (and he'll be evaluated on that...but probably more as a coach).  But Ballard made the decision above all other options he had.  And as far as Rivers and Wentz specifically, the only thing Frank can really do is to vouch for working relationships or understanding the offense...and that's only part of the decision.  Ballard himself can watch performance tape. whether its Wentz, Rivers, or Ryan, and talk to the executives of the other teams about the player.

You believe what you have to believe, but that's how I believe the process works. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, shasta519 said:

This teams has several of them IMO. They don't currently have a proven FS, which is important to run Gus' scheme. We can hope that maybe Cross can play there, but it's still a hole until then.

They maybe have a CB1 in Brents, but he's still unproven and only play half of the season. 

I would add a proven TE as well. The room is full of rotational guys. And we have seen the importance of legit TE1.

But mostly, the core is now aging. Many of them won't be here after AR's rookie deal is up. I didn't agree with running it back. But if they are going to do it, then they should absolutely try to take advantage of the QB rookie deal window and supplement through FA. Hunter wasn't the only FA out there either.

Obviously Ballard, Shane, Gus, and the rest of the decision makers feel differently.  That’s not to say they are not going to continue to try and improve the roster but they appear willing to let the remaining upgrades take place through the draft or subsequent FA additions.  ER is the remaining hole imo.  Ballard’s willingness to spend a huge contract on Hunter really says all we need to know.  The fit is also important.  Just because you’re a ER doesn’t mean you fit our defense.  That’s where the major hole is. Who knows Ballard still might surprise us by acquiring a veteran for that hole.  Still plenty of time.

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Obviously Ballard, Shane, Gus, and the rest of the decision makers feel differently.  That’s not to say they are not going to continue to try and improve the roster but they appear willing to let the remaining upgrades take place through the draft or subsequent FA additions.  ER is the remaining hole imo.  Ballard’s willingness to spend a huge contract on Hunter really says all we need to know.  The fit is also important.  Just because you’re a ER doesn’t mean you fit our defense.  That’s where the major hole is. Who knows Ballard still might surprise us by acquiring a veteran for that hole.  Still plenty of time.

For the people that keep saying edge is a hole. What team has won SB with an elite edge last few years. Today panthers signed their DT to a huge contract but yet Burns go. Seems to me an elite DT is more important than an elite edge.  I can’t name one edge on chiefs. They have some good ones but not an elite win I don’t believe. I think fans see the old days with freeny and Mathis and get to hung up on. Just get yourself an elite DT with good edge guys and you are fine. 

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Lets put a cap on this "Influence" topic from my end.

The reason I don't buy into the idea that these QBs were Frank's fault is because I have no idea how Ballard ranked the other options at the time.

Trade for another team's starter...at what price

Draft a 3rd round developmental prospect

The scouting department really likes this guy, but I'm skeptical

Trade up for a top 10 prospect

The price needed...the team wants two firsts for pick 8, but I only want to give a 1st and a second.

Sign a different FA vet.

I don't know how many options...if any....Ballard discarded himself before he decided to go with Frank's recommendation.  That's typically how executives of any organization make decisions.  They don't just go with the guy who's pounding his fists...if anybody ever was...without also making his own decisions about the other options first.  He knows where Frank stands, so he has that decision in his hip pocket already. 

When he has exhausted the other options, and settles on what Frank wants....then Ballard wants it too...and then it becomes his decision alone and not Frank's fault.  Frank might be fault for making the recommendation.  But Ballard made the decision above all otherblah..blah bkah options he had.  And as far as Rivers and Wentz specifically, the only thing Frank can really do is to vouch for working relationships or understanding the offense...and that's only part of the decision.  Ballard himself can watch performance tape. whether its Wentz, Rivers, or Ryan.

You believe what you have to believe, but that's how I believe the process works.  Make sense?

Blah.  Blah ..blah. That's how it may or may not have went down but that's not answering the question. What would you have done was the question. What move would you have made???

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

For the people that keep saying edge is a hole. What team has won SB with an elite edge last few years. Today panthers signed their DT to a huge contract but yet Burns go. Seems to me an elite DT is more important than an elite edge.  I can’t name one edge on chiefs. They have some good ones but not an elite win I don’t believe. I think fans see the old days with freeny and Mathis and get to hung up on. Just get yourself an elite DT with good edge guys and you are fine. 

So you think pass rush isn't important. And then say Ballard doesn't know what he is doing.  Interesting 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Blah.  Blah ..blah. That's how it may or may not have went down but that's not answering the question. What would you have done was the question. What move would you have made???

Um......no.  The premise of this convo is that others are convinced that is was Frank's fault, that he influenced Ballard into those QB decisions.  That belief should be supported by them, not me, going down a list of what other options were at Ballard's disposal, like I did just above. 

Can't do it, because nobody knows what options Ballard may have discarded.   Except they still know it was more Frank's fault than Ballard's.  Sure.

But yes, that's generally the process by which executives make decisions, and how executive sessions are held.  I know that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

For the people that keep saying edge is a hole. What team has won SB with an elite edge last few years. Today panthers signed their DT to a huge contract but yet Burns go. Seems to me an elite DT is more important than an elite edge.  I can’t name one edge on chiefs. They have some good ones but not an elite win I don’t believe. I think fans see the old days with freeny and Mathis and get to hunt up on. Just get yourself an elite DT with good edge guys and you are fine. 

We have our DT’s.  We have a highly drafted ER that is eligible for a 5th year option yet Ballard was going all in on a ER in FA.  That tells me Ballard still sees ER as a hole and a major need.  More heat on the quarterback.  That’s the goal.

• Like 1

Just now, DougDew said:

Ah no.  The premise of this convo is that other are convinced that is was Frank's fault, that he influenced Ballard into those QB decisions.  That belief should be supported by them going down a list of what other options were at Ballard's disposal, like I did just above. 

Can't do it, because nobody knows.   Except they still know it was more Frank's fault than Ballard's.  Sure.

Good lord.   This is why you get so much push back.   The argument you have made all day is impossible to prove one way or the other,  yet you keep harping on it.   How do you not see you are the problem?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Major hole and just hole are subjective. Did last year’s team have holes? Yes. And it’s pretty much the same team. So I don’t think they have filled any holes yet. Obviously, the draft will provide at least one player expected to make an immediate impact.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Good lord.   This is why you get so much push back.   The argument you have made all day is impossible to prove one way or the other,  yet you keep harping on it.   How do you not see you are the problem?

What argument am I making Jvan, that the statements claiming Frank is responsible for the roster, and even QBs, is unsupported...and has been for about 3 years?

Yes, its impossible to prove one way or the other.  So why blame Frank?

The only folks pushing back are the ones that hold that strong opinion.  By my recollection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

We have our DT’s.  We have a highly drafted ER that is eligible for a 5th year option yet Ballard was going all in on a ER in FA.  That tells me Ballard still sees ER as a hole and a major need.  More heat on the quarterback.  That’s the goal.

First of all every team wants an elite edge rusher. My point is we have very good. Unless you’re drafting super high we probably aren’t getting elite. Sure he saw hunter as an upgrade. He is proven. To me that does not mean he would use a first round pick on a unproven guy if that makes sense/

• Like 2

Just now, DougDew said:

What argument am I making Jvan, that the statements claiming Frank is responsible for the roster, and even QBs, is unsupported...and has been for about 3 years?

Yes, its impossible to prove one way or the other.  So why blame Frank?

I don't think many blame Frank about talent acquisition.   They blame him for not making adjustments.   I don't blame him for trading for Wentz.  He played well when he was healthy.   You ask questions that no one here could possibly answer and then act like a victim when you get obvious push back

13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't think many blame Frank about talent acquisition.   They blame him for not making adjustments.   I don't blame him for trading for Wentz.  He played well when he was healthy.   You ask questions that no one here could possibly answer and then act like a victim when you get obvious push back

I appreciate your opinion about the issue.  I am asking questions that I think should be answered before strong opinions on the matter are formed.  The fact that they can't be answered from our perspective is really my point.

I don't believe I am acting like a victim at all.  I haven't accused anybody of treating me unfairly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It really comes down to one guy. That’s your QB. Then build the defense up to be good and you’re going to win games. It really is that simple. 

Have you ever noticed that most years many of the same teams are picking in the top half of the draft.   Why is that.   If things were as simple as you just posted they are those perennially bad teams would figure things and they would always be bad.   

My point is there’s almost nothing about football that’s simple, and when you find yourself writing that it is just that simple you should stop yourself.  Because you’re wrong. 

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Have you ever noticed that most years many of the same teams are picking in the top half of the draft.   Why is that.   If things were as simple as you just posted they are those perennially bad teams would figure things and they would always be bad.   

My point is there’s almost nothing about football that’s simple, and when you find yourself writing that it is just that simple you should stop yourself.  Because you’re wrong. 

Because they don’t have a QB. Some teams like the falcons have even been picking high and passed on quarterbacks. Don’t tell me what I can write. You see why I don’t come here often anymore. Telling others that their opinion is bad and should stop writing is the height of arrogance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

Y'all are trying to make points without actually answering pretty simple questions. 

So it sounds like you are in the HC/GM 70/30 roster construction camp.  That may in fact be accurate.  That's fine.

Hypothetically, do you think its fair to blame Frank for past personnel failures and not to praise SS for future personnel successes?    

Or even simpler.  Was Frank 70% responsible for the River/Wentz/Ryan acquisition?   Was Steichen 70% responsible for the AR acquisition?  Or was the latter Ballard?

Those are pretty easy questions to answer straightforwardly.

To the bolded.  Why are Downs and McKenzie Ballard types, and not SS types? 

Doug….   Apologies in order.  I was trying to infer something and did so poorly.  My bad.  I’ll try to clarify.   

The reason we don’t know what type of receiver Steichen prefers is he’s only been our HC one year, the sample size is just too small.   He wanted Downs and McKenzie, he signed off on both.   But SS signed off in keeping Pittman and Pierce.  Plus, SS also had great success in Philly with big bodied AJ Brown (6’ 230) and lean Dwight Smith (6’ 165).  So it’s not clear he has a type.   Who knows what kind of WR Steichen will want this year?   Split end, flanker or slot?

With Frank we had 5 years of data.  With Steichen we have only one year with the Colts.  

But I was trying to emphasize that I believe Ballard as the GM tries to serve his HC by trying to get the players he wants within reason.   So instead of seeing players as Ballard-type players, we might recognize there are times that the type of players Ballard is acquiring are players the coach wants and not necessarily players Ballard might pick.  Not in all cases, but in the case of Frank and Shane getting them the offensive pieces they want.  

Sorry about the confusion.  I hope this has clarified things a bit.  I’m here if you have questions. 

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Because they don’t have a QB. Some teams like the falcons have even been picking high and passed on quarterbacks. Don’t tell me what I can write. You see why I don’t come here often anymore. Telling others that their opinion is bad and should stop writing is the height of arrogance.

Im trying to tell you that writing the phrase “it’s just that simple” is doing yourself no favors.   Nothing is simple about the NFL.   And you saying so doesn’t help your cause at all.   You’re free to say what you want.   But spouting nonsense is why you’re getting so much pushback around here.  

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im trying to tell you that writing the phrase “it’s just that simple” is doing yourself no favors.   Nothing is simple about the NFL.   And you saying so doesn’t help your cause at all.   You’re free to say what you want.   But spouting nonsense is why you’re getting so much pushback around here.  

You’re telling people what to say and think. Telling people what they post is nonsense is a problem. You don’t see that as a problem and why what you say becomes confrontational. You could have made your point without saying that and why you think different. Not everything you disagree with is nonsense. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

First of all every team wants an elite edge rusher. My point is we have very good. Unless you’re drafting super high we probably aren’t getting elite. Sure he saw hunter as an upgrade. He is proven. To me that does not mean he would use a first round pick on a unproven guy if that makes sense/

I agree with you in that elite edge rushers are hard to find and that they don’t always mean success as a team. When looking at the chiefs, I think you mentioned them earlier, they don’t have an elite edge rusher, but they do make consistent investments into the position. Back to back 1st round draft picks the last two years (I like karlaftis as he is a Purdue boy) and a 2 year $16 million dollar deal for omenihu. That’s after paying $77 million to Frank Clark and bringing vets in like Carlos Dunlap for several million. So the investments have been there. I think the focus should be exactly that. Consistent investment, keeping guys coming in the pipeline. That often means 1st round picks. I wouldn’t be surprised or upset if we went with one at 15, if they are there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You’re telling people what to say and think. Telling people what they post is nonsense is a problem. You don’t see that as a problem and why what you say becomes confrontational. You could have made your point without saying that and why you think different. Not everything you disagree with is nonsense. 

Again, not telling you what to say or think.  Trying to emphasize that the specific comment you made hurts you.  It does not help you.  And it’s an example of why you’ve been getting so much pushback here.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Problem is people get fixated on some word and don't try to understand how people communicate...

Not everyone can convey eloquently like some people expect here.

Somebody saying "it's just that simple" doesn't mean they think it's simple, it's just a way of how people talk languages. Some communicate crisp and clear, some come across differently. There are wide spectrum of such just as we come across different people in Life.

Bigger problem is, when guys try to look for words that trigger and constantly hangs on to it, and continues to find the pattern in message boards in everyone else and try to point out to others how they shouldn't say this or that, that becomes a nuisance (just to Rhyme with nonsense :spit:)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Again, not telling you what to say or think.  Trying to emphasize that the specific comment you made hurts you.  It does not help you.  And it’s an example of why you’ve been getting so much pushback here.  

Look I am who I am. If you don’t like the way I express myself you could just skip over the post. I have never been great at expressing thoughts but that doesn’t give you the right to jump on me like a pack of wolves when I post something you don’t like. Sorry I am not good enough for you or express myself as well as you think everyone should.  I used to find this place enjoyable because I could talk football with everyone. I don’t have people in my life who like football. So being able to talk football is enjoyable to me. But it’s not enjoyable when people are rude and inconsiderate and make others feel silly.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I used to find this place enjoyable because I could talk football with everyone. I don’t have people in my life who like football. So being able to talk football is enjoyable to me. But it’s not enjoyable when people are rude and inconsiderate and make others feel silly.

I’ll be the first to apologize. The football talk on this forum lately has not been up to standard across the board. It’s been too much bickering and not enough football talk. I guess you’ve been the easy target to poke at, and it’s not fair to you. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Problem is people get fixated on some word and don't try to understand how people communicate...

Somebody saying "it's just that simple" doesn't mean they think it's simple, it's just a way of how people talk languages. Some communicate crisp and clear, some come across differently. There are wide spectrum of such just as we come across different people in Life.

Bigger problem is, when guys try to look for words that trigger and constantly hangs on to it, and continues to find the pattern in message boards in everyone else and try to point out to others how they shouldn't say this or that, that becomes a nuisance (just to Rhyme with nonsense :spit:)

You have provided a lot of very good information on this board - keep posting!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

How nice of you to write a whole post about me without giving me a heads up.  Maybe you wanted me to find this on my own.   Maybe you didn’t care either way. 
But being subtle isn’t your gift. 

Remember our last exchange when I stated you take great delight in giving me a hard time as often as you can.  You denied it and defended yourself by saying it’s not personal between us, after all, you invited me to participate in the Annual Gavin’s draft.   And now you turn around with this…. stunt. 

There’s plenty more I could say, but I’d like to avoid getting suspended.   As much as you love you, you’re not worth it. 

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Look I am who I am. If you don’t like the way I express myself you could just skip over the post. I have never been great at expressing thoughts but that doesn’t give you the right to jump on me like a pack of wolves when I post something you don’t like. Sorry I am not good enough for you or express myself as well as you think everyone should.  I used to find this place enjoyable because I could talk football with everyone. I don’t have people in my life who like football. So being able to talk football is enjoyable to me. But it’s not enjoyable when people are rude and inconsiderate and make others feel silly.

there is a wolfpack of rude and arrogant posters on this board and it is very obvious who they are, just ignore them they like to cyber bully, keep posting you make good posts. there are also many good posters like you who dont try to bully other posters  and are not rude. I find your posts great.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

How nice of you to write a whole post about me without giving me a heads up.  Maybe you wanted me to find this on my own.   Maybe you didn’t care either way. 
But being subtle isn’t your gift. 

Remember our last exchange when I stated you take great delight in giving me a hard time as often as you can.  You denied it and defended yourself by saying it’s not personal between us, after all, you invited me to participate in the Annual Gavin’s draft.   And now you turn around with this…. stunt. 

There’s plenty more I could say, but I’d like to avoid getting suspended.   As much as you love you, you’re not worth it. 

You’re always with the superior attitude. It’s like you log in looking to be mean and argue and tell  people whether their posts are worthy, whether NewColtsFan approves. Last few months, it’s gotten worse. Just be a decent dude and you won’t be in constant message board fights … unless you enjoy the constant tension and drama. Just my opinion, sir. Hope that helps. I’m here if you have questions. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Your very 1st sentence is so spot on and beyond true. I have had it happen to me regarding your 1st sentence. I can be talking about something and say 5 great things about it but it is the 1 negative thing you say that some fixate on or upsets them. Sometimes I wish I could talk to a poster on the phone that doesn't understand my intent on a subject. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, DougDew said:

Um......no.  The premise of this convo is that others are convinced that is was Frank's fault, that he influenced Ballard into those QB decisions.  That belief should be supported by them, not me, going down a list of what other options were at Ballard's disposal, like I did just above. 

Can't do it, because nobody knows what options Ballard may have discarded.   Except they still know it was more Frank's fault than Ballard's.  Sure.

But yes, that's generally the process by which executives make decisions, and how executive sessions are held.  I know that.

So long story short ..you don't have an answer. Only assumptions. 

6 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

there is a wolfpack of rude and arrogant posters on this board and it is very obvious who they are, just ignore them they like to cyber bully, keep posting you make good posts. there are also many good posters like you who dont try to bully other posters  and are not rude. I find your posts great.

wolf GIF

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

You’re always with the superior attitude. It’s like you log in looking to be mean and argue and tell  people whether their posts are worthy, whether NewColtsFan approves. Last few months, it’s gotten worse. Just be a decent dude and you won’t be in constant message board fights … unless you enjoy the constant tension and drama. Just my opinion, sir. Hope that helps. I’m here if you have questions. 

Sorry….   But you lost your right with me on how to be a “decent dude.”   You now behave toward me in a way you’d never let your children or in a way you’d advise your students.  When I made a mistake with you I apologized not once, but twice.  And your response has been radio silence.   So lecturing me at any time and pretending to be sincere is not going to cut it.  Period. 

There are plenty of other comments I could make but they’d be inappropriate if made public. 

13 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I quit reading the posts of the wolfpack , they are not worthy of wasting my precious time on them. If I read one by accident they certainly do not  dignify a response. The forum is now so much more enjoyable for me.  There are  many great colts fans on here who are not rude or arrogant and it is very enjoyable exchanging ideas with them.

• Like 4

Ballard used the cap to resign his current players. It is actually the safest choice because the fans will continue to pay to see those players. He also has AR to keep the seats filled, whether we get to the playoff. The only differential factor to earn his money is the draft. 

He is on the clock.

18 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Chloe, you are one of the best contributors to this board.   I apologize if have offended you in any way.   It was never my intention.   This place wouldn't be the same without you and I hope you continue to give us updates.   

• Like 3