Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Nice.   Happy for both.   I like pulling for underdogs.   Fries has a future.   The jury is still out on Thomas.   But I’m rooting for them to prove the doubters wrong.   And if either doesn’t, they certainly got a fair shot.  

Fries played better than I expected last year. Thomas probably isn't good/fast enough to be a full time starting FS, but he can stick on a roster. And these bonuses basically doubled their earnings last year. Good for both of them.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Fries played better than I expected last year. Thomas probably isn't good/fast enough to be a full time starting FS, but he can stick on a roster. And these bonuses basically doubled their earnings last year. Good for both of them.

Hey there….   While I have you, this morning the site is doing something unusual.  When you hit the emoji tab, all it offers is the “thanks”.   The other emoji’s are not being offered.   Is this a glitch or a new policy.   Just curious. 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hey there….   While I have you, this morning the site is doing something unusual.  When you hit the emoji tab, all it offers is the “thanks”.   The other emoji’s are not being offered.   Is this a glitch or a new policy.   Just curious. 

It's looking like it's for everyone... All it takes is one person... sigh...

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

"Thanks" and "Like" are still available. It's not a glitch.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

No, the question is, other emojis aren't available..

Namely,

Confused

Laugh

Sad 

It's not a glitch. They were removed. It probably has to do with the fact that people don't like their serious posts being responded to with a laughing emoji. The other two were removed for similar reasons. Leaving the thanks and like provides a quick way to like the post. If you don't like the post you will have to write a response of why you don't like it. Then that can be responded to. So on. Which makes sense for a forum. This isn't social media where we are searching for likes.

This is what I have been able to gather and assume through reading last night and this morning.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KB said:

Which makes sense for a forum. This isn't social media where we are searching for likes.

This forum is social media by definition. But I don’t disagree… 

1 minute ago, KB said:

This deserves a laugh emoji lol

Now I’m sad that I don’t get that dopamine rush… 😔 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Alright I didn’t think that would happen but welcome back Blackmon.  

I would still sign a vet safety like Diggs or Simmons as we have so much youth back there to start opposite Blackmon. Then I’d go out and sign CB Ahkello Witherspoon and draft someone like Cam Hart in the 4th. 

Confirmed by Chap.

Wasn’t a fan of re-signing Blackmon all off-season because of his injury history and I don’t trust players that have significant career years in contract years but it’s a one year deal and the Colts needed a vet safety.  So Blackmon gets a chance to prove he’s worth the contract he wants and the Colts get a vet safety.  We’ll see how it goes.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I would still sign a vet safety like Diggs or Simmons as we have so much youth back there to start opposite Blackmon. Then I’d go out and sign CB Ahkello Witherspoon and draft someone like Cam Hart in the 4th. 

Blackmon is going into year five.  He is your vet safety.

Also the Colts are don’t really have roster spots for all those bodies.

At safety they now have Blackmon, Cross, Davis, and Thomas.  Not to mention Denbow who is no lock to make a roster but is the perfect practice squad level player who can be called up due to injury.  They aren’t going to cut Cross or Davis.  Thomas helps with special teams and is depth so he’s probably not going anywhere.  That’s all four safety spots.  

At corner they now how Brents, Jones, Flowers, and Moore who are locks for the final roster.  They will also probably keep Lammons as the nickel depth spot.  They also have Speed and Baker who again are very replaceable but they are here.  So at most they probably have one spot at corner to replace Speed or Baker.  

More than likely that guy is coming in the draft but you can’t completely rule out free agency but I wouldn’t bet on it.  

I get it fans don’t like the strategy of bringing back the same guys who were the secondary last year and maybe adding a rookie corner and that’s it.  I’ll admit I am not a huge fan of it but it’s pretty clear what the Colts are counting on.  Ballard is banking on all those young guys taking a step forward this year.  IMO that’s a huge roll of the dice but it’s what he’s doing rather I like it or not.  

• Like 1

Be interesting to see what the money is. Sounds like Julian priced around, but didn’t get what he initially wanted. Makes sense to come back he for another year and prove his fitness and form. He is a good player infairness.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Blackmon is going into year five.  He is your vet safety.

He's not a FS though. That was the spot that Ballard specifically mentioned. They still need a FS. Ideally, they could sign a vet FS and draft one to develop.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

This forum is social media by definition. But I don’t disagree… 

Now I’m sad that I don’t get that dopamine rush… 😔 

You're probably right about the definition part. Was more saying it's not Facebook. At least I won't get a confused emoji lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Be interesting to see what the money is. Sounds like Julian priced around, but didn’t get what he initially wanted. Makes sense to come back he for another year and prove his fitness and form. He is a good player infairness.

I'm hoping he has some incentives in his contract.  That's a win win for me. 

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

He's not a FS though. That was the spot that Ballard specifically mentioned. They still need a FS. Ideally, they could sign a vet FS and draft one to develop.

We’ll see what they do.  Blackmon has played FS in the past although I agree he was much better at SS last year.  Again, I can’t explain exactly everything Ballard is doing here because I don’t understand it all myself.  

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Confirmed by Chap.

Wasn’t a fan of re-signing Blackmon all off-season because of his injury history and I don’t trust players that have significant career years in contract years but it’s a one year deal and the Colts needed a vet safety.  So Blackmon gets a chance to prove he’s worth the contract he wants and the Colts get a vet safety.  We’ll see how it goes.  

One more vet safety hopefully. If Simmons or Diggs can make their way here we will be looking pretty good at safety IMO.

• Like 1

Just now, KB said:

One more vet safety hopefully. If Simmons or Diggs can make their way here we will be looking pretty good at safety IMO.

We’ll see.  They now have four safeties on the roster that probably aren’t getting released plus Denbow so they might be out of bodies at the safety spot.  I wouldn’t mind bringing in another vet though,  I am just not betting on it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Confirmed by Chap.

Contract year off a move from FS (position he was drafted to play) to SS (position this team also has Cross with R3 capital), in a season where they played a soft schedule on offenses. Plus, add in the injury this year to the prior injuries.

Them not prioritizing Blackmon is not a big surprise. And it didn't looks like other teams didn't either.

Sucks for Blackmon that so many Ss got released too. And a lot of those guys aren't even signed either. 

Hopefully they sign a FS too.

Just now, shasta519 said:

Contract year off a move from FS (position he was drafted to play) to SS (position this team also has Cross with R3 capital), in a season where they played a soft schedule on offenses. Plus, add in the injury this year to the prior injuries.

Them not prioritizing Blackmon is not a big surprise. And it didn't looks like other teams didn't either.

Sucks for Blackmon that so many Ss got released too. And a lot of those guys aren't even signed either. 

Hopefully they sign a FS too.

Now Ballard knows what he's paying Blackmon.  So he can now move on to FS.  I'm guessing Diggs.

We are good at SS now, Blackmon is a veteran starter in that role and I think Cross can play it well too.  Nick is still just 22 and is trending up.

I can live with having Jags at FS but we still need CBs.  I dont care what scheme you run you cant be as weak at corner as we are, teams will exploit the matchups

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

We’ll see.  They now have four safeties on the roster that probably aren’t getting released plus Denbow so they might be out of bodies at the safety spot.  I wouldn’t mind bringing in another vet though,  I am just not betting on it.

I don't think Thomas nor Scott should not be guaranteed a roster spot.  Denbow too for that matter.  I think adding a veteran FS should be on the table.  Especially considering who's available.  Especially Simmons who was clearly a cap casualty. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I don't think Thomas nor Scott should not be guaranteed a roster spot.  Denbow too for that matter.  I think adding a veteran FS should be on the table.  Especially considering who's available.  Especially Simmons who was clearly a cap casualty. 

Scott is going to get at least a year.  They haven’t even seen him yet.  Thomas while not great at safety last year is very good at special teams.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

We are good at SS now, Blackmon is a veteran starter in that role and I think Cross can play it well too.  Nick is still just 22 and is trending up.

I can live with having Jags at FS but we still need CBs.  I dont care what scheme you run you cant be as weak at corner as we are, teams will exploit the matchups

I think having a good veteran FS helps cover up the inexperience of the CBs.  I think our corners should be expected to get better in year two.   I still want to add to the room though.  

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Scott is going to get at least a year.  They haven’t even seen him yet.  Thomas while not great at safety last year is very good at special teams.  

I'm guessing we could find a replacement on special teams for Thomas.  Lot of players to look at after the draft.

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I'm guessing we could find a replacement on special teams for Thomas.  Lot of players to look at after the draft.

Special team players have value.  Also, Thomas does have a lot of experience starting and looked good his rookie year and is very cheap.  That’s an ideal backup.  

There is probably room for a vet safety to still be added but the roster math is starting to become an issue.  That body will have to come from somewhere and I don’t think it’s going to come from any of the four safeties they already have is all.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Why would we replace Thomas on special teams? That's where he belongs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dabo is out of his International exemption so sing or swim time for him. Will be interesting if Harrison stays at Linebacker after spending last year bulking up or if they plan to move him back at Safety,...smart money says he stays at LB but not sure it is 100% etched in stone. I like Cross improved by leaps and bounds from year 1 to 2, was so young when drafted some forget that part. Thomas scares  me, he fell of the ledge last season with all the commotion and his father's arrest surely on his mind, Hope was a 1 year glitch not sure it was.

Just now, richard pallo said:

Fine.  Just don’t let him play safety.  That’s not where he belongs.

I don’t think that’s the plan.  He’ll be a special teamer/back up like Odum was when he was here.

On 3/12/2024 at 3:38 PM, Colts1324 said:

Gardner Johnson

Josh Uche

Kyle Fuller 

Curtis Samuel/Marquise Brown 

Two of these & I’ll be happy 

On 3/12/2024 at 3:43 PM, 1959Colts said:

Blackmon

Harrison

Pinter

... probably be more likely.

On 3/12/2024 at 3:45 PM, Colts1324 said:

lol i hope not 

I made the above post on 3/12/2024 only joking around...

But it turned out to be totally accurate

• Like 3