Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Now this would be a better reason to not give him 30M a year... I'm not 100% sure he's a game changer either... or is he a Ngakoue type? 

He's better than Ngakoue, but I just don't see him as a super dangerous pass rusher that wrecks the game. I think everyone knows his name because he's been trying to get a new contract for two years. 

PFF has a stat that I really like, pass rush productivity (PRP). Basically measures the rate of pressures per pass rush, and it's weighted toward sacks (including half sack). Out of all edge rushers who rushed at least 50% of pass snaps, Burns was 39th with a PRP of 6.8. He had 9 sacks in 379 pass rushes. (Ebukam had 10 in 450 rushes, PRP 6.7; Dayo had 12 in 365 rushes, PRP 5.9; Paye had 8 in 410, PRP 4.6.) 

Jonathan Greenard had 14 sacks in 405 pass rushes, and a PRP of 8.3; he just got four years, $72m. Bryce Huff had 10 sacks in 334 pass rushes, PRP of 12.2; he got three years, $51m. 

Burns for $30m/year is STEEP. I'm good. That's Myles Garrett, Nick Bosa, TJ Watt money.

He could also ball out for the Giants, which would be good for them. But this feels like a cautionary tale example that we'll be talking about in a couple years when Joe Schoen gets fired.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stitches said:

He's better than Franklin in all the things that matter most in modern day NFL- he's better in coverage, he's better blitzer, he's better moving sideline to sideline... 

Also, don't know if you rate PFF, but he's been one of the highest rated LBs in the league the last 3 years:

He can actually cover. End of story.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

He's better than Ngakoue, but I just don't see him as a super dangerous pass rusher that wrecks the game. I think everyone knows his name because he's been trying to get a new contract for two years. 

PFF has a stat that I really like, pass rush productivity (PRP). Basically measures the rate of pressures per pass rush, and it's weighted toward sacks (including half sack). Out of all edge rushers who rushed at least 50% of pass snaps, Burns was 39th with a PRP of 6.8. He had 9 sacks in 379 pass rushes. (Ebukam had 10 in 450 rushes, PRP 6.7; Dayo had 12 in 365 rushes, PRP 5.9; Paye had 8 in 410, PRP 4.6.) 

Jonathan Greenard had 14 sacks in 405 pass rushes, and a PRP of 8.3; he just got four years, $72m. Bryce Huff had 10 sacks in 334 pass rushes, PRP of 12.2; he got three years, $51m. 

Burns for $30m/year is STEEP. I'm good. That's Myles Garrett, Nick Bosa, TJ Watt money.

He could also ball out for the Giants, which would be good for them. But this feels like a cautionary tale example that we'll be talking about in a couple years when Joe Schoen gets fired.

Good breakdown. Thanks. I guess part of the appeal is his youth, too. He's still only 25 and you can argue his best years are still ahead of him and moving to a less disfunctional situation would help him realize his potential. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Where’s D. Leonard?? Is he still an Eagle or is he out of football?  
Let’s bring back Glow and Hines, we will get Pinter and Dulin back. 
Are we letting Kenny or Blackmon go??

And we wonder why we stay middle of the pack lol or maybe this is what other winning teams do

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I guess that’s called filling a need.

Unfortunately we have the same need that's being left unaddressed. I don't have the numbers, but I would bet we were one of the worst teams in the league in the same stat. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I sort of agree because I want AR to have full reigns. Having said that, I don't want Sam as my backup if AR gets injured. Minshew almost won the division. 

We went from a 4 win team to a 9 win team and we let the QB for that team go, it wasn't a usual situation I guess we couldn't match the offer or the offer wasn't that good

12 minutes ago, Lifetime Colt said:

Austin Eckler to Commanders for 2 year 11.4 contract.  Could have potentially been a good duel threat, 3rd down option for the Colts.

Yeah, that would have been a great contract. However, he probably preferred a place he could start 

1 minute ago, Boss7894 said:

We went from a 4 win team to a 9 win team and we let the QB for that team go, it wasn't a usual situation I guess we couldn't match the offer or the offer wasn't that good

Yeah, I just seen Minshew make some unexpected big plays and we were on the brink of winning the division. So this bothers me but I understand it. AR has to stay healthy now. 

2 minutes ago, Boss7894 said:

The Colts would not pay a 2 year $25 mil contract for Gardner. Great for him, could never expect they would go that high.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MFT5 said:

yes we can agree to disagree, Franklin is ours all he knws is INDY … yu reward your own now, could he have been nxt to him maybe but he’s not worth conversation of the debate of potentially not paying zaire. that’s a horrible message to send …

panthers or jets haven’t improved, panthers were fortunate enough to receive the 1st overall pick that they can’t even use lol so idk how successful of a team was built w luvu bring soo extraordinary lol

I'm not saying I don't like Franklin, but reward your own for what, missing the playoffs for the 3rd straight year?  Has anyone on the team won the division? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is probably the first FA period where I am not even concerned with Ballard not signing any outside guys yet. I feel confident secondary will add some vets.

yeah, only person I’m bummed about is McKinney.  Especially seeing he didn’t go for what I thought he would.  But someone on here said ballard mentioned not that kind of money for a safety, so maybe we have someone else we’re going after

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Thanks, yes that was not a desire to bring him back ever, merely a question of where is he. 

Seems like teams are going to wait on him and see where hes at later.

He might be worth another look someday, or not.

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lets bring Leonard back Scared Homer Simpson GIF by reactionseditor

I am joking but think about it, had he been there against Houston in Week 18, would we have won, you never know?? I just think we should have kept him at least for the season. Getting rid of him in the stretch run was strange.

31 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Where’s D. Leonard?? Is he still an Eagle or is he out of football?  
Let’s bring back Glow and Hines, we will get Pinter and Dulin back. 
Are we letting Kenny or Blackmon go??

Hines complained and didn’t want to be here.

No thanks! Although I don’t blame him having to play for Frank

• Like 1