Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Colts signing Michael Pittman Jr to three year contract

chad72

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I predicted $22million per, we got him for $23.3million per year at face value.  I’m extremely happy with this.  Think this is a fair value for what he provides and where the cap is going.  Good job colts!

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Let’s go! Under 24 million per year. Locked down for next 3 years all while ARICH & Downs are on rookie deal. Our window starts now. 

Most recent report says UP to 71.5 million. Curious what the base is going to be 

I love that it has incentives.  He believes in himself.

• Like 1

A bit surprising it wasn't for 4 years.

Braden Smith, Big Q, Ryan Kelly, Buckner - 4 year deals.

JT, Pittman, Kenny Moore - 3 year deals in the past and present

Clearly tells me that if it is trenches for OL or DL, Ballard prefers 4 year deals and the rest are 3 year deals or extensions. The big boo boo on his resume is Shaq Leonard's deal. Now, given their age, Kenny Moore and Grover Stewart, I would be shocked if they are more than 3 year deals.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

A bit surprising it wasn't for 4 years.

Braden Smith, Big Q, Ryan Kelly, Buckner - 4 year deals.

JT, Pittman, Kenny Moore - 3 year deals in the past and present

Clearly tells me that if it is trenches for OL or DL, Ballard prefers 4 year deals and the rest are 3 year deals or extensions. The big boo boo on his resume is Shaq Leonard's deal.

According to Destin he only wanted 3 so he could get another payday before 30.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That makes sense, should AR not work out or the Colts era with Ballard closes. But can we trust what Destin says on this front?

But the key is guaranteed money. 4 year deals have similar guaranteed money too.

• Superman changed the title to Update: Colts signing Michael Pittman Jr to three year contract
8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That makes sense, should AR not work out or the Colts era with Ballard closes. But can we trust what Destin says on this front?

But the key is guaranteed money. 4 year deals have similar guaranteed money too.

Yes you can trust Destin. He is one of the few that is reliable. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 8:30 AM, w87r said:

I fully expect them to come to an agreement on a 3-4yr(probably 3yr), $24mAAV contract with $48m guaranteed(2 franchise tag amounts), at some point in the offseason.

3yr $72m

4yr $96m

That gives Pittman some security in case he would get injured this year. A guaranteed 2nd franchise tag seems to be the floor for me. Don't see why Pittman would agree to anything less. 2yr $48m. Add a 3rd non guaranteed year at $24m and call it a day.

Gets him guaranteed pay day and option for another big contract in 2 years.

Right where I had the floor at.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Wouldn't this also coincide with when AR would get his mega deal?

At that time we could easily move on from Pittman or be able to structure his next deal to be cap friendly so we could go for a repeat, perhaps 3 peat.

He is a winner and this does give us a Championship level contributor.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

LMAO

Nice!!

sucks we had to do the tag, seems like a waste if the deal was agreed too prior. We could have used it on someone else like Stewart(though I don’t think the cost would have been worth it)

either way, welcome back Pittman!

9 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Does this deal help with the cap for the Colts? I’m honestly okay with letting Grover walk unless he signs back for cheap. Same goes for Kenny. There are some good FAs out there. 

Marginally, not enough to hurt or help really. 

17 minutes ago, w87r said:

Right where I had the floor at.

So far, Ballard is getting fair deals for our guys, not over paying like he did with Leonard and others. I like the start so far. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- I am back lol. I knew Pitt wasn't going anywhere :thmup:.

Same. Now go get an instant playmaker across from him other than Downs and we might have somethjng

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

So far, Ballard is getting fair deals for our guys, not over paying like he did with Leonard and others. I like the start so far. 

Same. Now go get an instant playmaker across from him other than Downs and we might have somethjng

Higgins wants out of Cincy, what do you think of him being a Colt as another weapon, Not sure what it would take to get him??

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Higgins wants out of Cincy, what do you think of him being a Colts as another weapon, Not sure what it would take to get him??

No way the Colts spend another 23 mill on additional WR.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Nice!!

sucks we had to do the tag, seems like a waste if the deal was agreed too prior. We could have used it on someone else like Stewart(though I don’t think the cost would have been worth it)

Marginally, not enough to hurt or help really. 

Why would you pay those guys top dollars using the tag.  I really like both but I wouldn't pay too dollars for those positions too much $$$.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Higgins wants out of Cincy, what do you think of him being a Colt as another weapon, Not sure what it would take to get him??

Trade Pierce and our 2nd round pick for him.

• Like 2

Just now, csmopar said:

Nice!!

The tag was pretty much a non factor here.  They weren’t going to use it on anyone else.  The only other two guys you could have argued for were Stewartt or Moore but those arguments went out the window when you saw what the numbers would have been like you said,  It was Pittman or no one.

Also, for all the people (and this part doesn’t apply to you) that were worried last week and came across as panicking and saying things like Ballard made a huge mistake or they might lose Pittman for less than two first round picks I hope you see now that was all for nothing like you were told at the time and maybe next time save the worrying until it’s time to worry.  The franchise tag was used as a tool just as and many and Ballard told you at the time.  

• Thanks 2

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Is there a thread for Fa colts news? If not I will make one.

There's an NFL-wide one, but not one for Colts FAs, so you can definitely start one. Not sure how busy it'll be, but we can hope.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Hey it's a spending free all lol. Rams and Chiefs do it every year. I am just messing around but Higgins is good.

Chiefs don't do it, you must be confusing them with the Jaguars, the Chiefs get bargains like Drue Tranquil from Chargers as a LB, but draft and develop really well (Nick Bolton in Round 2, Sneed in Round 4, McDuffie in Round 1 etc., drafted Chris Jones too). This year, they had to re-sign one of their own, like we did with Pittman, with Chris Jones that was a critical component for them winning 2 SBs.

Rams definitely do it. Heck, even the 49ers do it and now they have to release guys like Arik Armstead etc.

Higgins is caught in the wrong year with a great WR class giving a GM the leeway to use the rookie wage scale.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What would it take? Pierce and 2nd round pick isn't garbage Homer Simpson Reaction GIF

Well seeing as they can get two firsts if the signs with another team they aren’t going to be interested in a second and a WR who has done next to nothing in his NFL career no matter how much Colts fans say it was the QB, especially if they aren’t interested in trading him.  Think the Colts last year when Taylor requested a trade.  They weren’t just going to give him away because they wanted to keep him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well seeing as they can get two firsts if the signs with another team they aren’t going to be interested in a second and a WR who has done next to nothing in his NFL career no matter how much Colts fans say it was the QB, especially if they aren’t interested in trading him.  Think the Colts last year when Taylor requested a trade.  They weren’t just going to give him away because they wanted to keep him.

Great points but he is threatening to sit out and not play at all. Tags are strange to gauge.