Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Colts signing Michael Pittman Jr to three year contract

chad72

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

The Chiefs aren't giving up 2 firsts

Jvan it's just a scenario. They can get a player that would be as good as Pitt 3/4 of the way through the season with their late round pick. 

It's kind of interesting that knowing all he should have known, that Ballard didn't have enough faith in Pitt to extend him before the start of last season.

That decision will cost somewhere from 20+ M.

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

Jvan it's just a scenario. They can get a player that would be as good as Pitt 3/4 of the way through the season with their late round pick. 

It's kind of interesting that knowing all he should have known, that Ballard didn't have enough faith in Pitt to extend him before the start of last season.

Pittman wanted to wait.

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Pittman wanted to wait.

Yep that’s the key.  Pittman has said from day one he wanted to test the market, again smart on his part because he knew it would lead to this, to make sure he gets as big of a contract as he can.  

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Pitt wanted to test the market as has been brought up many times.   Ballard can't make him sign.   He was always going to get 20+ million

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know who the WR are thst are up for new contracts. I can only think of guys who will be on their fifth year options and aren’t FA.

Everyone from Pittmans class. Justin Jefferson, Tee Higgins, Henry Ruggs, Ceedee , Jerry Juedy , Aiyuk.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Does anyone know who the WR are thst are up for new contracts. I can only think of guys who will be on their fifth year options and aren’t FA.

Calvin Ridley is probably the biggest name on the truly open market if that’s what you are asking.

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

He kept Taylor... 

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Well we kind of have precedent with Taylor.

I think its kind of 2 different situations tbh.

Pittman wouldn't be doing so, while on what is perceived as bad terms.

He said he wanted to see.what was out there, if he finds somewhere else he would rather go. They will talk it through.

Taylor and agent were trying to manipulate they situation.

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Finally.  I was worried there for a moment.

I suspect with the Pittman tag decision done, we will see a few more signing leak out.

3 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Everyone from Pittmans class. Justin Jefferson, Tee Higgins, Henry Ruggs, Ceedee , Jerry Juedy , Aiyuk.

Aiyuk was the only one I could think of because he isn’t a FA. I guess Jefferson isn’t either since they have the fifth year.  Pittman is just a step below them.

I just watched that Ballard nfl network interview. He did mention that they would use this week to work on guys they want back. So hopefully some deals do get done now before Monday.

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

On a brighter side Xavier McKinney and Christian Wilkins made it to FA. 

Chris jones wasn’t tagged either. I doubt he goes anywhere.

I just watched that Ballard nfl network interview. He did mention that they would use this week to work on guys they want back. So hopefully some deals do get done now before Monday.

Yeah that’s why I hope people don’t freak out if a long term deal isn’t reached right away.  Even if they are close the franchise tag buys Ballard time with Pittman to focus on guys who will hit the open market without a new deal and then focus on free agency and the draft.  There is a reason the deadline isn’t until July to get something done long term with Pittman.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Chris jones wasn’t tagged either. I doubt he goes anywhere.

Jones has to be 99% there.

I think that Ballard and Steichen want Pittman for one reason very few talks about: his blocking ability.

He is a better blocker on the outside as we are going to find. I want Pitt to be here. It's obvious that the Colts want him to be here, aside from what we don't see (the contract offers.) But Pitt has to want to be here.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah that’s why I hope people don’t freak out if a long term deal isn’t reached right away.  Even if they are close the franchise tag buys Ballard time with Pittman to focus on guys who will hit the open market without a new deal and then focus on free agency and the draft.  There is a reason the deadline isn’t until July to get something done long term with Pittman.

As long as Pittman still participates in OTA because having him working with Richardson this offseason is very important. Hard to believe but off season workouts start just a few days after the draft.

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

I think that Ballard and Steichen want Pittman for one reason very few talks about: his blocking ability.

He is a better blocker on the outside as we are going to find. I want Pitt to be here. It's obvious that the Colts want him to be here, aside from what we don't see (the contract offers.) But Pitt has to want to be here.

Steichen was very adamant in his presser today that he wants Pittman back. He will be on the radio at 5 o’clock too.

31 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

The Chiefs won with a pretty average set of receivers after losing Ty Hill. They will value those picks and continuing to build the o-line and defense in the draft with Mahomes contract. Ballard spoke about that quite a bit the other day. 

They still had an elite passcatcher in Kelce. Our situation is nowhere near the same. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, w87r said:

Like I said if that's what Pittman wants to leave, discussions will be had and a trade will come together for something less than (2) 1st. Is that a (1st and 4th, 1st and 3rd, or 2nd and 3rd) idk? 

This what I was saying. It could be less than 2 1sts.

People were saying it's 2 1sts or nothing. Its whatever Ballard will accept on a trade

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

They still had an elite passcatcher in Kelce. Our situation is nowhere near the same. 

Notice that I didn't state anything remotely suggesting that. I simply stated that they value their picks so they can continue focusing on the Trenches and defense...

1 hour ago, Shive said:

If a team signs an offer sheet and the Colts don't want to match, 2 first round picks is the cost.

Personally, I think the tag was used because Pittman wants to wait to see the FA WR contracts play out to give him more leverage for a bigger contract.

Ballard told us what's going to happen. He does this all the time, posters on this board think he has to be all smoke and mirrors, then he does exactly what he said he was going to do. Rinse and repeat, year after year. Believe Ballard when he says something.

Yep. Was straight up even with Taylor’s situation last year. You can say Chris is many things but a liar is not one of them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

They also had that guy Patrick Mahomes that makes guys better than they really are, much like Peyton did when he was here with the likes of Wilkins, Blair White, Fletcher, and others.  I know the KC WRs had a lot of drops even with Mahomes but you are right you can’t ignore what they had in Kielce and Mahomes when comparing their offense to the Colts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Notice that I didn't state anything remotely suggesting that. I simply stated that they value their picks so they can continue focusing on the Trenches and defense...

No, but what you said is an oversimplification of their situation. They won with an elite passcatcher - not without one. WR or not. 

If we drafted Bowers and he turned out to be a Kelce-level passcatcher I’d be perfectly fine keeping Pierce, Downs and Pittman as our WR core.

As it is we still need a high-level playmaker in the passing game. That could mean both a top 5 WR or Bowers in this draft. 

• Like 1

Now Ballard can no longer say 'we've never used it before.' That's the only negative thing about this situation.

Pittman said weeks ago that he wanted to test his market. The only way for him to do that was to force the tag. I thought Ballard would be motivated to get a deal done before the deadline, and I think he was, but it seems like Pittman really wanted the opportunity to talk numbers with other teams. No one is signing him to an offer sheet, but if someone really wants to meet his number, whatever it is, and is willing to make a trade offer to the Colts, maybe they'll consider it. But more likely, no one will make him an offer, and eventually he'll sign a deal with the Colts.

By the way, for people freaking out because the Colts used the non-exclusive tag, this is the tag that's almost always used on non QBs. I think the last player to receive the exclusive tag was LeVeon Bell in 2018. Yet, players who get the non-exclusive tag almost never change teams. Even Lamar Jackson got the non-exclusive tag last year, and no one offers two first rounders, and he got a long term deal with the Ravens.

Another thing Ballard likes to say: 'It's a tool.' And that's what we're seeing right now.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

No, but what you said is an oversimplification of their situation. They won with an elite passcatcher - not without one. WR or not. 

If we drafted Bowers and he turned out to be a Kelce-level passcatcher I’d be perfectly fine keeping Pierce, Downs and Pittman as our WR core.

As it is we still need a high-level playmaker in the passing game. That could mean both a top 5 WR or Bowers in this draft. 

You read it as an oversimplification. I simply stated they had an average receiver room. Which they do. They lost one of the best wide receiver's in the modern era, and still won back to back superbowls. Everyone with eyes knows that the defense carried them, and that Mahomes led that final drive of the superbowl. That doesn't diminish Kelce. I'm as big of a Travis Kelce fan as the next guy. I simply made a statement and you responded that I couldn't compare the Colts offense, which I made no such comparison. And now are you picking apart the statement. LOL. My post had nothing to do with the Colts, aside from the scenario that they (the chiefs) would give up valuable picks for Pittman. To which I stated they would not give the picks away, and they don't need Pittman, which both are correct.

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

but you are right you can’t ignore what they had in Kielce and Mahomes when comparing their offense to the Colts.

see above response. Not one person compared the Colts offense to the Chiefs...

Pittman will be a Colt. No one is on bad terms. Ballard and Pitt are close.  Pittman specifically said that he wouldn’t be bothered by being tagged. The Colts actually use the tag the way it was designed to be used.  The buy a little time to work out a long-term deal.  They don’t hold players hostage.  

No one is going to offer Pittman more than the Colts want to and cough up 2 1st Rd. Picks. It’s ludicrous to think otherwise. And the Colts have zero incentive to take less. None!

If they work something out quickly great.  If they get their free-agent class done first then shape a contract that benefits both parties that’s fine too. I’m sure the parameters of the deal are in place. Working on guaranteed money, front loading or back loading can be worked out in a way the best coincides with future free-agents and the Colts cap management. 

Thinking about this some more, I’m glad it happened.  It’s a win-win.

1.  If someone wants to pay Pittman what he wants, and they truly believe he’s a WR1, then they should have no problem paying him and giving up 2 1sts.  That’s what it’s going to take to get a WR1 in this league, if not more.

2.  If someone offers him a contract, He gets to see what his value is.  And if it’s not what he thought it was going to be, then he’ll most likely resign anyway.  

no need to freak out people.  I think colts fans (maybe all fans) sometimes put so much value on their players that they’re scared to lose them.  Look at the chiefs, they traded probably the best receiver and kept moving.  The Vikings traded diggs and found Jefferson.  It happens.  We’ll be ok.

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

You read it as an oversimplification. I simply stated they had an average receiver room. Which they do. They lost one of the best wide receiver's in the modern era, and still won back to back superbowls. Everyone with eyes knows that the defense carried them, and that Mahomes led that final drive of the superbowl. That doesn't diminish Kelce. I'm as big of a Travis Kelce fan as the next guy. I simply made a statement and you responded that I couldn't compare the Colts offense, which I made no such comparison. And now are you picking apart the statement. LOL. My post had nothing to do with the Colts, aside from the scenario that they would give up valuable picks for Pittman. To which I stated they would not give the picks away, and they don't Pittman, which both are correct.

I guess I see zero point in bringing up the Chiefs’ situation (and specifically their WR room) if it wasn’t to suggest that you can win without an elite WR. 

Just now, Solid84 said:

I guess I see zero point in bringing up the Chiefs’ situation (and specifically their WR room) if it wasn’t to suggest that you can win without an elite WR. 

I guess I see zero point continuing this conversation... You would read it however you wanted to perceive it anyways.

7 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

The 2018 eagles .