Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Colts signing Michael Pittman Jr to three year contract

chad72

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Still sucks.  They had plenty of time.  They got up to the deadline.  If they were that close it should wrap up tomorrow.  

Why does it matter when?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So it was the non exclusive tag.

I think Ballard tried but Pittman is asking too much.

The non exclusive tag works in this case.

Pittman can shop around and see what the market holds and the Colts have the opportunity to match.

If no match, Pittman walks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pittman is the best WR on the market. This is a huge mistake by the colts.

Just now, PRnum1 said:

I think Ballard tried but Pittman is asking too much.

The non exclusive tag works in this case.

Pittman can shop around and see what the market holds and the Colts have the opportunity to match.

If no match, Pittman walks.

Letting your best WR walk is a huge mistake.  There is no one in FA that we can sign to replace him.

• Like 1

Just now, stitches said:

The non-exclusive tag means the Colts get 2 1st round picks if he signs with another team and the Colts don't match. 

I think that is the exclusive tag.

Non exclusive can be almost anything.  I've heard of non exclusive being a 2nd and 3rd for example.

Whatever Ballard will accept.

Just now, PRnum1 said:

Non exclusive can be almost anything.  I've heard of non exclusive being a 2nd and 3rd for example.

Non-exclusive franchise tag: The most commonly used tag. When most refer to the "franchise tag," they generally talk about the non-exclusive version. This is a one-year tender of the average of the top five salaries at the player's position over the last five years, or 120 percent of his previous salary, whichever is greater. The tagged player can negotiate with other teams, but his current team has the right to match any offer or receive two first-round draft picks as compensation if he signs with another club.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-nfl-franchise-tag-tracker-latest-tag-news-on-deadline-day

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, PRnum1 said:

No,  it's 2 firsts round picks if the Colts decided not to match

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Letting your best WR walk is a huge mistake.  There is no one in FA that we can sign to replace him.

To me the mistake that was made is Ballard should have tried to extend BEFORE the contract expired.

He should have tried to extend before TC last summer before the 2023 season.

Pittman would have been cheaper then.

I think Ballard waited too long and Pittmans price went up.

1 minute ago, PRnum1 said:

You have them mixed up. The exclusive tag doesn't allow the player to negotiate with other teams, thus the only way he leaves is via trade, thus whatever the two teams negotiate for... 

The non-exclusive one is set at 2 first round picks if he signs with another team and the Colts don't match. 

• Like 3

Just now, PRnum1 said:

To me the mistake that was made is Ballard should have tried to extend BEFORE the contract expired.

He should have tried to extend before TC last summer before the 2023 season.

Pittman would have been cheaper then.

I think Ballard waited too long and Pittmans price went up.

Pittman has said he wanted to test the market.   You can't sign a player that won't sign.   

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Pittman has said he wanted to test the market.   You can't sign a player that won't sign.   

I like Pittman... I want him to stay... but honestly... if a team is stupid enough to sign him to an offer sheet, I'd take the 2 1sts... then wait for the Garrett Wilsons or Ceedee Lambs or Jalen Waddles or Devonta Smiths of the world to become available and would try to trade for them instead... 

• Like 4

Just now, stitches said:

I like Pittman... I want him to stay... but honestly... if a team is stupid enough to sign him to an offer sheet, I'd take the 2 1sts... then wait for the Gareth Wilsons or Ceedee Lambs or Jalen Waddles or Devonta Smiths of the world to become available and would try to trade for them instead... 

I like Pitt a ton,  but yes,  give me 2 firsts all day

Just now, richard pallo said:

I would go and get Calvin Ridley now.  He can easily replace Pittman.  He’s more of a deep threat and he would be cheaper.  Then draft another Receiver with the first pick.

Ridley is going to get big money.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The non-exclusive tag doesn't allow him to walk. The only way he walks is if another team is willing to give him a contract we won't match and is willing to give up 2 first round picks.

Either we re-sign him or have 2 first rounds picks to make huge moves.

Honestly, I don't see a way Pittman isn't re-signed. With the strength of this year's WR class, they'd be insane to give up 1 first round pick, let alone 2.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Still sucks.  They had plenty of time.  They got up to the deadline.  If they were that close it should wrap up tomorrow.  

Uh what?  This isn’t shocking news or disheartening at all.  It’s going to get done.  Like Ballard has said the franchise tag is a tool.  It’s buys more time for both sides to get a deal done with there not being a realistic fear of the Colts losing Pittman.

Like I told you yesterday this was the way things were heading because it was a smart move by Pittman to insure he gets every penny out of the Colts he can because now he has the leverage to say you felt I was worth the tag so I deserve a contract that reflects that.

Pittman knows he’s going to be a Colt long term, and just as importantly wants to be a Colt long term, and has known that since he made the comment about wanting to test the market.  This was all about getting the biggest contract he could from the Colts which is why so many then said this is how it would go.  

There is nothing disheartening here.  It’s negotiation tactic for a contract that’s ultimately going to get done.  

• Like 5

Just now, stitches said:

I like Pittman... I want him to stay... but honestly... if a team is stupid enough to sign him to an offer sheet, I'd take the 2 1sts... then wait for the Gareth Wilsons or Ceedee Lambs or Jalen Waddles or Devonta Smiths of the world to become available and would try to trade for them instead... 

They won’t get two firsts I believe.  They will make a different arrangement with the Colts.  This is like a tag and trade now.  Team agrees to a contract the Colts won’t match so the Colts rescind the tag and trade him for something less than to firsts.

• Like 1

They won’t get two firsts I believe.  They will make a different arrangement with the Colts.  This is like a tag and trade now.  Team agrees to a contract the Colts won’t match so the Colts rescind the tag and trade him for something less than to firsts.

This is what I've heard of.

Also Pittman can threaten to sit out which might make Ballard accept less than two first round picks.

That could happen.   I highly doubt it though unless the deal is too good to pass up

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I would go and get Calvin Ridley now.  He can easily replace Pittman.  He’s more of a deep threat and he would be cheaper.  Then draft another Receiver with the first pick.

You understand that Ridley missed alot of games with the Falcons for mental health issues.

Then he was suspended for gambling.

He doesn't sound like a Ballard guy to me.

why would they do that? 

To me it’s just a tool that is going to lower his value from what he is seeking. Who is going to pay him high and give up two first round picks, especially with a draft this deep at receiver? It seems like a good deal for the colts. He gets to explore, get an offer and the colts get to match it. It’s likely going to be in the neighborhood of what they were offering to begin with. And if not, they get picks. I want Pittman to be here, but it’s obvious he is playing hardball and/or wants to potentially leave. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They aren’t letting him walk.  He’s tagged.  No one is giving up two firsts for him, reminder that was the cost to get Lamar Jackson last year and no one was willing to pay that.  If they aren’t paying that for a league MVP QB they aren’t paying that for a WR.  He’s going to be here.  Check the over reaction at the door.  

• Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I like Pitt a ton,  but yes,  give me 2 firsts all day

Ridley is going to get big money.   

I like Ridley better than Pittman actually.  

Just now, PRnum1 said:

You understand that Ridley missed alot of games with the Falcons for mental health issues.

Then he was suspended for gambling.

He doesn't sound like a Ballard guy to me.

Ridley was suspended years ago for Gambling.  That’s why he sat out a year.  All of this is old news.

18 minutes ago, stitches said:

The non-exclusive tag means the Colts get 2 1st round picks if he signs with another team and the Colts don't match. I think I'd be good with that outcome. 

I don’t believe this is entirely correct. From what I understand he is still colts property until wed. So Monday  team could offer him a deal and colts could trade him for less then those 2 picks.

• Like 1

Just now, richard pallo said:

Ridley was suspended years ago for Gambling.  That’s why he sat out a year.  All of this is old news.

What I mean is,  Ridley won't be cheaper than Pittman 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t believe this is entirely correct. From what I understand he is still colts property until wed. So Monday  team could offer him a deal and colts could trade him for less then those 2 picks.

the Colts aren’t going to trade him.  Ballard has made it known he’s going to be on the opening day roster next year.

• Like 3

They could,   but if they do trade him they will get a good amount

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

They aren’t letting him walk.  He’s tagged.  No one is giving up two firsts for him, reminder that was the cost to get Lamar Jackson last year and no one was willing to pay that.  If they aren’t paying that for a league MVP QB they aren’t paying that for a WR.  He’s going to be here.  Check the over reaction at the door.  

Anytime you let your player have the opportunity to talk to other teams there is a chance.

• Like 1

If a team signs an offer sheet and the Colts don't want to match, 2 first round picks is the cost.

Personally, I think the tag was used because Pittman wants to wait to see the FA WR contracts play out to give him more leverage for a bigger contract.

Ballard told us what's going to happen. He does this all the time, posters on this board think he has to be all smoke and mirrors, then he does exactly what he said he was going to do. Rinse and repeat, year after year. Believe Ballard when he says something.

• Like 4

Mental health issues and gambling are life long afflictions.

Ballard may not want to take the risk of it coming back at any time.

Anytime you let your player have the opportunity to talk to other teams there is a chance.

The whole point of the franchise tag is to prevent him from leaving.  He’s not going anywhere.

It’s not the exclusive tag so yes there is a chance. What happens if bills or chiefs come calling and he says I want out. 

then he wanted that all along and there isn’t much we could do aside from risking him holding out, is there? 

so you put a deal on that gives us opportunity to match their lowball offer, or if he really wants out, you take their picks and move on… 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s not the exclusive tag so yes there is a chance. What happens if bills or chiefs come calling and he says I want out. 

1.  The Colts match the contract.

2.  They don’t and get two first round picks which no one is giving up for a WR if no one would give that up for a MVP level QB a year ago.  

3.  Pittman had dropped several hints he wants to be here.  That’s not the issue here.  It’s all about him getting paid as much as he can.

you are worked up over nothing.  Like Ballard has said this is a tool.  Pittman is using it too to insure he gets every dime he can out of the Colts.  Things will be fine.  

• Like 3