Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Colts signing Michael Pittman Jr to three year contract


chad72

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, chad72 said:


https://www.stampedeblue.com/platform/amp/2024/2/13/24071489/pff-lists-wr-michael-pittman-jr-as-colts-franchise-tag-candidate-for-2024-offseason

 

March 5th isn’t far away, the tag deadline. Get it done Ballard, the contract!!!

 

That way there’s clarity when FA starts March 13th.

Do you tag Pittman or Grover… that’s the question

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

 

 

Neither, just get the deals done 

 


There are enough teams with cap room that will gladly have Pittman if he hits FA. If I had to choose to tag, it’s Pittman but yeah, getting the deals done is best before FA week starts

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get why they would want to tag him. I think they want to see if they can draft and develop a WR1 or get a TE like Bowers who would take their offense to the next level. Also would give them the option to trade him if they find what they’re looking for. For example, if the Bears decide they want a veteran receiver you can call them at pick 9 and offer them Pittman and a draft pick to move up to 9 to go get your guy. Also they could tag him and just end up signing him later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they tag Pittman, it means he has to be paid at the average of the top five wide receivers in the league, right? Am I understandng that correctly? If so, he'll be paid similarly to guys like Cooper Kupp and AJ Brown. How would be that a good deal for the Colts? The tag salary for receivers in 2023 was over $23 million and will be higher next year. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can see this happening.  Pittman wants to test FA and rightfully so.  Depending on what he gets offered, he may welcome the tag.  I’m predicting $22million per year for him.  Hopefully a team doesn’t try to overpay for him and puts us in a pickle.

 

Question, say if a team offers him $30mill per year but the tag is $26million per year…could we still tag him?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

I can see this happening.  Pittman wants to test FA and rightfully so.  Depending on what he gets offered, he may welcome the tag.  I’m predicting $22million per year for him.  Hopefully a team doesn’t try to overpay for him and puts us in a pickle.

 

Question, say if a team offers him $30mill per year but the tag is $26million per year…could we still tag him?

Well the tag deadline is before the start of FA, so ideally you’d want to tag him first before he can get a better offer. Although the legal tampering period starts in a week or so, so he’ll have a good idea of where his market value is. Maybe they put him on the non-exclusive tag to be safe.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think he will get the years on a new contract with another team he will for colts. 

 

Ballard typically gives 4 year contracts (Big Q, Ryan Kelly, Braden Smith) to marquee players he values - he gives 3 year contracts to his DBs like Kenny Moore, a 3 year extension to JT and the only 5 year contract he gave was to Leonard that came back to bite him.

 

When FA opened, Jags offered Christian Kirk 4 years $72 mil. right off the bat and he signed it a couple of years ago. So, yeah, 4 years is easily attainable with other teams and it is also unlikely Ballard gives more than a 4 year contract, IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Well the tag deadline is before the start of FA, so ideally you’d want to tag him first before he can get a better offer. Although the legal tampering period starts in a week or so, so he’ll have a good idea of where his market value is. Maybe they put him on the non-exclusive tag to be safe.


hmmm, so he’s already said he wants to test FA.  If we were to do so, would that p*** him off?  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, smittywerb said:


hmmm, so he’s already said he wants to test FA.  If we were to do so, would that p*** him off?  

It’s possible since that would mean if another team makes him an offer that they want to match, he’d be stuck since no team is giving two 1st round picks for Pittman. But that would be in the Colts favor.

 

What they could also do is tag him on the exclusive tag and basically let him find a trade partner. If a team has a deal for him the Colts could easily work out trade compensation. Ballard likes his picks, so he’d move Pittman for a 2nd I think. Or a swap like I outlined earlier. 
 

I know it’s the what Pittman wants, but idk if just letting him test FA and potentially losing him with no compensation is the route to go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, smittywerb said:


hmmm, so he’s already said he wants to test FA.  If we were to do so, would that p*** him off?  

Pittman also said he didn’t think anyone would be upset at making what the tag would be for a year. Pittman knows how this is going to go down and understands the tag is a tool that will also benefit him because then he can say hey you thought I was worth the tag so I deserve a contract that reflects that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I’m not mistaken we could put the transition tag on him.  It’s the lowest tag number just under 20m I believe.  Then we have the right to match. If we don’t match we lose him and get no draft compensation.  What the Colts will bank on is no one is going to give him a huge over priced contract when the tag number is 20m.  The offer will come in higher than 20m but not exorbitant.  This way he tests the market and we match and keep him.  He’s gotten his wish and we pay him what we were going to pay him regardless.  Win win.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I think 4 yrs 80M is fair

 

More like 4 years $90 mil. is what I am prepared for, with half of it guaranteed, given current WR markets. The elite ones get $25-30 mil. per year. MPJ is in the very good tier, just not elite.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Player has to be willing to sign them first. Pittman has already gone on record saying he wants to test the market.

 

You are right. 

 

Pittman saw what JT did to the Colts, and he would be remiss not to say that. 

 

Plus I remember hearing Ballard talk about letting players test the market as well. 

I think that approach is best for both parties so MPJ knows he didn't take too little, and Colts know they didn't overpay. 

 

That said, I hope they hammer out a deal before all that happens. 

 

Not that they wouldn't apply franchise tag, but I believe the last person they did that with was Pat McAfee like 10 years ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If Ballard screws this up. Letting him test the market is bad. What if a team like chiefs came calling.  

It might not be Ballard screwing it up.  If Pittman doesn’t want to put pin to paper he can’t make him.  Then it’s up to Ballard deciding if he feels he’s worth the tag or not.  I am on the record of saying they can’t let Pittman get away but if they do I am sure Ballard will have a plan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

It might not be Ballard screwing it up.  If Pittman doesn’t want to put pin to paper he can’t make him.  Then it’s up to Ballard deciding if he feels he’s worth the tag or not.  I am on the record of saying they can’t let Pittman get away but if they do I am sure Ballard will have a plan.

Pittman wants to be here. The only way he isn’t if Ballard is cheap. This would be the biggest mistake of Ballards career. I would be done with him if he screws this up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Pittman wants to be here. The only way he isn’t if Ballard is cheap. This would be the biggest mistake of Ballards career. I would be done with him if he screws this up.

1.  When has Ballard ever been cheap?

 

2.  Pittman has also said he wants to test the market which is smart on his part.  I have no doubt Pittman wants to stay here but that doesn’t mean he’s not going to do everything he can go get the biggest contract he can.  
 

3.  Maybe try not overreacting about it until if or it happens?

  • Thanks 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Pittman wants to be here. The only way he isn’t if Ballard is cheap. This would be the biggest mistake of Ballards career. I would be done with him if he screws this up.


I think the only way Pitt isn’t back with a new contract or tag ISN'T a Ballard issue.   I think it would be a Steichen issue.   And I don’t see that happening.  I think SS wants MP back and so it will happen.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

 

More like 4 years $90 mil. is what I am prepared for, with half of it guaranteed, given current WR markets. The elite ones get $25-30 mil. per year. MPJ is in the very good tier, just not elite.


A common theme for me, is that it’s not as much the total deal as it is the amount that is guaranteed.  Money that is not guaranteed teams can do more creative accounting to deal with.  But guaranteed is eventually money in your pocket. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

1.  When has Ballard ever been cheap?

 

2.  Pittman has also said he wants to test the market which is smart on his part.  I have no doubt Pittman wants to stay here but that doesn’t mean he’s not going to do everything he can go get the biggest contract he can.  
 

3.  Maybe try not overreacting about it until if or it happens?

Why do you say everyone is over reacting when they just make a comment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Why do you say everyone is over reacting when they just make a comment.

I didn’t say everyone was.  I said you were because you made the comment if Ballard screws this up I am done with him.  That’s an overreaction to something that may or may not happen.  You It’s also casting judgment that Ballard would be the reason a deal doesn’t get done.  Right now there is as good of a chance it would be Pittman as it is Ballard as Pittman has said he wants to test the open market.  For all we know Ballard has given Pittman a great offer and Pittman is the one going I still want to see what is out there.  
 

You also said the only way Pittman leaves is if Ballard is cheap, something Ballard has never been with his young players.  
 

Also, even if that’s not going on and somehow Pittman does leave I trust Ballard is going to have a plan to replace him (any NFL GM in that spot would) and I am willing to see what that plan is before I crucify Ballard over it.  
 

What’s more than likely gong to happen is that both Ballard and Pittman have acknowledged the franchise tag is a tool.  My guess is you will see some kind of franchise tag placed on Pittman and then a long term deal will be worked out from there. The good news is Pittman seems open to that.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

1.  When has Ballard ever been cheap?

 

2.  Pittman has also said he wants to test the market which is smart on his part.  I have no doubt Pittman wants to stay here but that doesn’t mean he’s not going to do everything he can go get the biggest contract he can.  
 

3.  Maybe try not overreacting about it until if or it happens?

BTW he let Autry go for 1 million more and an extra year.

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I didn’t say everyone was.  I said you were because you made the comment if Ballard screws this up I am done with him.  That’s an overreaction to something that may or may not happen.  You It’s also casting judgment that Ballard would be the reason a deal doesn’t get done.  Right now there is as good of a chance it would be Pittman as it is Ballard as Pittman has said he wants to test the open market.  For all we know Ballard has given Pittman a great offer and Pittman is the one going I still want to see what is out there.  
 

You also said the only way Pittman leaves is if Ballard is cheap, something Ballard has never been with his young players.  
 

Also, even if that’s not going on and somehow Pittman does leave I trust Ballard is going to have a plan to replace him (any NFL GM in that spot would) and I am willing to see what that plan is before I crucify Ballard over it.  
 

What’s more than likely gong to happen is that both Ballard and Pittman have acknowledged the franchise tag is a tool.  My guess is you will see some kind of franchise tag placed on Pittman and then a long term deal will be worked out from there. The good news is Pittman seems open to that.  

It was just a comment. lol 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I didn’t say everyone was.  I said you were because you made the comment if Ballard screws this up I am done with him.  That’s an overreaction to something that may or may not happen.  It’s also casting judgment that Ballard would be the reason a deal doesn’t get done.  Right now there is as good of a chance it would be Pittman as it is Ballard as Pittman has said he wants to test the open market.  For all we know Ballard has given Pittman a great offer and Pittman is the one going I still want to see what is out there.  
 

Also, even if that’s not going on and somehow Pittman does leave I trust Ballard is going to have a plan to replace him (any NFL GM in that spot would) and I am willing to see what that plan is before I crucify Ballard over it.  
 

What’s more than likely gong to happen is that both Ballard and Pittman have acknowledged the franchise tag is a tool.  My guess is you will see some kind of franchise tag placed on Pittman and then a long term deal will be worked out from there. The good news is Pittman seems open to that.  

This is where I am.  I am sure there is a plan B already in place in case Pittman leaves.  I think they will get a deal done but if they don’t they don’t and we will get to see what plan B is.  I think we will be fine one way or the other.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Whatever happens Ballard has to at least franchise him so he doesn’t walk for nothing. That alone will limit Pittmans options to go to another team.

 

In this WR deep draft, even a non exclusive franchise tag would require another team to give up 2 first round picks for Pittman, which I doubt anyone would do. Plus, it would give the Colts the rights to match too. I think that is what they start off doing first before going down the path of buying time to negotiate a deal between March 5th and March 13th, from the start of the tag period to the start of free agency.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

In this WR deep draft, even a non exclusive franchise tag would require another team to give up 2 first round picks for Pittman, which I doubt anyone would do. Plus, it would give the Colts the rights to match too. I think that is what they start off doing first before going down the path of buying time to negotiate a deal between March 5th and March 13th, from the start of the tag period to the start of free agency.

Yeah, I think some are underestimating what type of contract Pittman would get if he was on the open market.  I think the Colts know this will tag him and go from there.  
 

The only thing I would say is that I don’t know if a deal will get done by March 13th.  What the franchise tag would by them is time and with the other free agents they need to figure out they might need that time.

 

Odds are Ballard already has a ball park idea of what the final number will look like with Pittman so he can plan based off that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, chad72 said:


https://www.stampedeblue.com/platform/amp/2024/2/13/24071489/pff-lists-wr-michael-pittman-jr-as-colts-franchise-tag-candidate-for-2024-offseason

 

March 5th isn’t far away, the tag deadline. Get it done Ballard, the contract!!!

 

That way there’s clarity when FA starts March 13th.

I would easily tag him over signing him to a big contract. If they tag him, it is because they want AR to have some veteran targets next year coming back from injury and not because of his talent level. If the Colts do tag him, that should tell you all you need to know how much they value him. You pay elite players elite money and you run into big trouble when you pay good players elite money. I have no idea what he wants but I would never get into what people are saying he is worth like 23 million.  I just think tagging him is the way smarter choice. You have him for one year and should take some pressure off of AR coming back. Downs should improve and I still have hope for Pierce in this offence with AR coming back. I am kind of high on Granson, Woods and I really like Mallory. I loved Mallory's tape and I really dont see much difference in skill set when comparing the TE's to Pittman. Plus, I think some of the TE's can start to develop and play the role that he plays in this offence. To me, Pittman is actually more of  smaller tight end and/or possession receiver. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

 

In this WR deep draft, even a non exclusive franchise tag would require another team to give up 2 first round picks for Pittman, which I doubt anyone would do. Plus, it would give the Colts the rights to match too. I think that is what they start off doing first before going down the path of buying time to negotiate a deal between March 5th and March 13th, from the start of the tag period to the start of free agency.

Makes sense. It gives everyone what they want; the Colts stay attached to Pitt while he’s allowed to see what’s out there. In the end, they will sign him while still allowing Pitt to explore his value with the rest of the league. Best of both worlds. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pittman isn’t going anywhere.  He has to say what he has to say in order to maximize his return.  If you listen to the podcast with Chris Long, Pittman sounds like he’s a Colt for the long-term.  Ballard has already said the tag is a tool he isn’t afraid to use.  4/$90 million sounds about right. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Pittman isn’t going anywhere.  He has to say what he has to say in order to maximize his return.  If you listen to the podcast with Chris Long, Pittman sounds like he’s a Colt for the long-term.  Ballard has already said the tag is a tool he isn’t afraid to use.  4/$90 million sounds about right. 

Yeah if there is one free agent I’d bet the farm on returning its Pittman.  He was a third of the offense last year.  You can’t just let that leave without having a sure fire plan to replace him which the Colts don’t appear to have.  Maybe Ballard has something cooking but I don’t think so I think hes just going to keep Pittman and this is all part of it for both sides.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

 

More like 4 years $90 mil. is what I am prepared for, with half of it guaranteed, given current WR markets. The elite ones get $25-30 mil. per year. MPJ is in the very good tier, just not elite.

Spotrac has you almost right on the money here: 4 yrs, $90,867,748

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/14/2024 at 6:05 AM, BeanDiasucci said:

If they tag Pittman, it means he has to be paid at the average of the top five wide receivers in the league, right? Am I understandng that correctly? If so, he'll be paid similarly to guys like Cooper Kupp and AJ Brown. How would be that a good deal for the Colts? The tag salary for receivers in 2023 was over $23 million and will be higher next year. 

 

 

 

The number I keep seeing for tagging Pittman is like 20.8 million. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...