Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Colts signing Michael Pittman Jr to three year contract

chad72

Just now, SOMDColtsfan said:

Sure hope our home grown big man in the middle doesn't get away! 

There are a couple of good DTs available for the 15th and 46thg overall picks, but DT is already one of if not THE thinnest position on the team.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Maybe they think there is a DT with more pass rush ability that could upgrade the dline.

I still think if Grover is allowed to hit FA they will make a play for WIlkens.  They might not get him but Ballard has said they have made offers to players in the past but they signed elsewhere.  Still plenty of time to sign Grover though.

17 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I still think if Grover is allowed to hit FA they will make a play for WIlkens.  They might not get him but Ballard has said they have made offers to players in the past but they signed elsewhere.  Still plenty of time to sign Grover though.

That would be a big move but if it happens it would be with intent of not bringing Buckner back in 25. Because no way they can afford both. 

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Kind of hoping Pittman isn’t paid like a top 5 WR because he’s not. Is he top 15? Absolutely.  As for Moore I’m not even sure he’s the best slot corner in the league. Just hoping we don’t overpay is all and allow for money to spend in FA as well. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Kind of hoping Pittman isn’t paid like a top 5 WR because he’s not. Is he top 15? Absolutely.  As for Moore I’m not even sure he’s the best slot corner in the league. Just hoping we don’t overpay is all and allow for money to spend in FA as well. 

In a year his contract will be cheap. As salary cap goes up do do salaries. Don’t sweat it because it will only be top five for a short time.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That would be a big move but if it happens it would be with intent of not bringing Buckner back in 25. Because no way they can afford both. 

I think so too and that could open up the possibility that the Colts trade Buckner this year and decide to put Dayo into his spot.  You never know.

49 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is true. So don’t worry about the contract.

Was getting ready to say this to @BProland85. It would only be too 5 this year, he’d quickly fall down to middle of the pack $$$

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, twfish said:

Was getting ready to say this to @BProland85. It would only be too 5 this year, he’d quickly fall down to middle of the pack $$$

Yep that’s how contracts work.  It looks like they get over paid when they get signed because they alway “set the market” then the next contract tops it.  

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

If the Colts can’t get Grover signed to a deal of roughly $12 mill per,  Ballard isn’t going to turn around and try to sign Wilkins for nearly double that.  Wilkins may be better, but he’s not good enough for nearly twice the price.  That’s just not happening.   Sorry. 

• Like 2

Chris Jones just got Aaron Donald 3 year $95 million guaranteed contract based money. So if Pittman wants $23 million, and it’s in the ballpark of market value, I’m sure Ballard gets it done so that like Chris Jones, Pittman doesn’t hit FA because once these players hit FA, there’s always 1 or 2 teams willing to overpay 

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If the Colts can’t get Grover signed to a deal of roughly $12 mill per,  Ballard isn’t going to turn around and try to sign Wilkins for nearly double that.  Wilkins may be better, but he’s not good enough for nearly twice the price.  That’s just not happening.   Sorry. 

That’s what your opinion is fine.  All I know is Ballard wanted Wilkins as part of a trade for Taylor.  That tells me he was willing to extend him and pay him twice as much as what Grover would be.  That’s contrary to your argument.  To me if you’re prepared to pay 12m just add the additional 12 and you get a younger superior player.  Wilkins gives you that dominant interior pressure forcing teams to double team him.  Buckner already demand’s double teams.  Those two together would be a nightmare for OL lines to deal with.  Btw Wilkins had nine sacks last year.  In seven years with the Colts Grover has a total of nine sacks.  Adding 12m to upgrade a position happens all the time in FA. Who knows Ballard might do it at another position.  You don’t think WIlkens is worth it.  I do.  Difference of opinion.  No big deal.  You don’t have to be sorry about it.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Chris Jones just got Aaron Donald 3 year $95 million guaranteed contract based money. So if Pittman wants $23 million, and it’s in the ballpark of market value, I’m sure Ballard gets it done so that like Chris Jones, Pittman doesn’t hit FA because once these players hit FA, there’s always 1 or 2 teams willing to overpay 

Pittman got tagged he won’t be a free agent. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

That’s what your opinion is fine.  All I know is Ballard wanted Wilkins as part of a trade for Taylor.  That tells me he was willing to extend him and pay him twice as much as what Grover would be.  That’s contrary to your argument.  To me if you’re prepared to pay 12m just add the additional 12 and you get a younger superior player.  Wilkins gives you that dominant interior pressure forcing teams to double team him.  Buckner already demand’s double teams.  Those two together would be a nightmare for OL lines to deal with.  Btw Wilkins had nine sacks last year.  In seven years with the Colts Grover has a total of nine sacks.  Adding 12m to upgrade a position happens all the time in FA. Who knows Ballard might do it at another position.  You don’t think WIlkens is worth it.  I do.  Difference of opinion.  No big deal.  You don’t have to be sorry about it.

Just now read an interesting article on SI making 10 predictions for upcoming FA. One was regarding the Colts.  They predicted we will be active but won’t make a splash.  But the prediction focused on our DL.  Stating the Colts are happy with Paye and Ebukam on the outside and the stalwart play of Buckner but are looking for an upgrade at the other tackle spot.  They likened it to last year when the Browns were looking for a similar player to take the focus away from and therefore free up Myles Garret more.  I would consider signing Wilkins a splash.  But as far as we know Grover is still unsigned so maybe another player could be on their radar to replace him.

59 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I agree with your thinking but I don't think it's in the cards Wilkins signs with Indy. Rumor has it that he and the Texans have a mutual liking for each other. I think it's possible that Ballard would pay :"market price " for him . However this would require winning a bidding war and Wilkins would need to want to play in Indy.  To date , we don't seem to win ANY of the "bidding wars" we've been rumored to have participated in.  Ballard's has never made this kind of a FA signing in his tenure with Indy. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

7 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I agree with your thinking but I don't think it's in the cards Wilkins signs with Indy. Rumor has it that he and the Texans have a mutual liking for each other. I think it's possible that Ballard would pay :"market price " for him . However this would require winning a bidding war and Wilkins would need to want to play in Indy.  To date , we don't seem to win ANY of the "bidding wars" we've been rumored to have participated in.  Ballard's has never made this kind of a FA signing in his tenure with Indy. 

I agree.  When it comes down to a player having a liking for a team or city or coach that changes everything.  Not exactly a good situation for Indy.  I think Ballard will pay market price too but he draws his line at least up to this point.  

On 3/9/2024 at 2:03 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

In a year his contract will be cheap. As salary cap goes up do do salaries. Don’t sweat it because it will only be top five for a short time.

This is exactly what I thought. You might as well lock your guys up as long as possible, because the price will increase dramatically by the end of the term.

• Like 1

Let’s go! Under 24 million per year. Locked down for next 3 years all while ARICH & Downs are on rookie deal. Our window starts now. 

Most recent report says UP to 71.5 million. Curious what the base is going to be