Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Comparing Pittman to other WRs

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

One other point….

Let’s not forget that you’re the same guy who starting around the pre-season you stated you were going to give Ballard a pass all season long.  That you understood what was going to happen this season.  The Colts were going to play their rookies and other young players to give them much needed experience.   You said you were on board with all of it.  And you said it multiple times over a period of weeks and months. 

And what did it take?   6-8 weeks?   And suddenly you flip-flopped and were back bashing Ballard.  Considering the Colts were starting the backup and Taylor wasn’t playing the Colts had either met or exceeded expectations.  Yet you did a complete 180 and you were back to bashing Ballard.   

You're entitled to any opinion you want.  You're even entitled to change your mind. Plenty of people do that.   But it’s hard to take that seriously when you do it after the team is meeting or exceeding expectations.  

Agreed on giving Ballard the year. I did allow my frustration to boil over and pull the pin. I get so tired of his conservative approach on drafting and always trading back and/ or drafting the athletic freak hoping they will hit their ceiling. I point to a team like Green Bay. They lost their franchise qb and look at them now.  They  lost 2 hall of fame qbs back to back and look to have another star in Love.  Love, who I did not think would be that guy, and apparently Ballard  really liked him. When Green Bay traded up in front of Indy, it basically confirmed that Green Bay new that also. So Green Bay knows what Ballard is wanting but Ballard cannot have a sense of what other teams may do? I also liked Watson and wanted us to trade up when he was still sitting there past the 1st round.  No,  we just sit there and wait and go for  Pierce. Look at Green Bays young Wr talent. The excuse has always been Luck and Reich for Ballard, but that is so old. I just dont like his conservative approach.   He has preached the, the more draft picks ou  have the better chance on hitting on some. That is a good approach if it works but it hasnt.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2024 at 9:09 AM, joeb said:

I think Ballard will have to pay him large. These type of receivers are very hard to come by.

Pittman type of receiver is hard to find? Teams are not looking for that next Pittman. They are looking for that guy that dictates coverages and will take the top off. Pittman does not do that. I bet every team has a guy like Pittman. A guy that they deem to be a number 1 on their team only because they don't have a true #1. Most people think he is a number @#1 not because he is worthy of that title but because they see no one who can take on that role. I hope they don't break the bank for him. If they let him go, that will tell me they have faith in Peirce becoming a  legit wr with Richardson throwing to him. I would also bet they go early on a wr if he goes else where. My concern is, like everyone says, Ballard  likes to reward his own guys and that has not gone well if you look at some of his recent extensions. To me that is what I think is Ballard's biggest flaw. He wants to be everyone's friends and wont take that hard line approach and/or an approach that is needed in Pittman's case. Set a hard line for what you think he is worth. Just don't sign him because you feel you have to because of the lack of wr talent on the team.  I  have always felt that Pittman didn't kind of fit this offence and his type of skills set can be found in the draft and /or even free agency. I think we have some good tight end talent who are similar to what Pittman can do. Downs is showing that he looks like a good find. It has been frustrating watching Pierce but his skill set does  not fit what Minshew cant do and that is throw deep . I am hoping he will explode with Richardson. Go get that guy  early and trade up if  one of the top wrs is sitting there. Time to  go for it.  I really think if Richardson comes back, stays healthy and we get that legit wr, this team could explode. We can spend the rest of our picks on defense lol

9 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He wants to be everyone's friends and wont take that hard line approach

It's interesting you say things like this, but at the same time are critical of Ballard for not being more aggressive in other areas. So you want him to be conservative and take a hard line, but when he does that, it's a flaw. 

Did Ballard want to be friends with Denico Autry, or did he take a hard line approach? How did you feel about that decision? 

Also, the Colts haven't re-signed Pittman yet, and you're preemptively criticizing Ballard's decision that hasn't even been made yet.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

It's interesting you say things like this, but at the same time are critical of Ballard for not being more aggressive in other areas. So you want him to be conservative and take a hard line, but when he does that, it's a flaw. 

Did Ballard want to be friends with Denico Autry, or did he take a hard line approach? How did you feel about that decision? 

Also, the Colts haven't re-signed Pittman yet, and you're preemptively criticizing Ballard's decision that hasn't even been made yet.

I would say that being aggressive in the Pittman case is in fact letting him test the market and maybe sign another wr in free agency if needed. That to me is not being conservative. He is conservative in the way that you can always predict what he will do. I do not criticize him much on Autry,. He did well in Indy and i thought he was more of a scheme fit and  I never expected him to replicate the success he had with Indy when he went to another team. Performing like he did in Tennessee surprised me  but he was also working with an all world DT in Simmons to take most of the heat. You are correct about Pittman not being resigned. I just  wish Ballard wouldn't gush so much on a player when working on possibly bringing him back. Simple we would like to have him back if the numbers work!!

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Agreed on giving Ballard the year. I did allow my frustration to boil over and pull the pin. I get so tired of his conservative approach on drafting and always trading back and/ or drafting the athletic freak hoping they will hit their ceiling. I point to a team like Green Bay. They lost their franchise qb and look at them now.  They  lost 2 hall of fame qbs back to back and look to have another star in Love.  Love, who I did not think would be that guy, and apparently Ballard  really liked him. When Green Bay traded up in front of Indy, it basically confirmed that Green Bay new that also. So Green Bay knows what Ballard is wanting but Ballard cannot have a sense of what other teams may do? I also liked Watson and wanted us to trade up when he was still sitting there past the 1st round.  No,  we just sit there and wait and go for  Pierce. Look at Green Bays young Wr talent. The excuse has always been Luck and Reich for Ballard, but that is so old. I just dont like his conservative approach.   He has preached the, the more draft picks ou  have the better chance on hitting on some. That is a good approach if it works but it hasnt.

You mean Jordan Love, who up until this year was thought by everyone to be a huge bust?   That Jordan Love?   This was Love’s 4th year.  Fourth!  A huge disappointment for three and in his 4th year, he shows big improvement.  

How many Colts fans are that patient?   

The Giants Daniel Jones didn’t show much until his 4th year last year.   Sometimes it takes QB longer to have the game slow down for them.  Nothing beats experience and you have to be patient for that to happen.  I strongly suspect I’ll be writing about this the next 2-3 years when Colts fans lose patience with AR.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I would say that being aggressive in the Pittman case is in fact letting him test the market and maybe sign another wr in free agency if needed. That to me is not being conservative. He is conservative in the way that you can always predict what he will do. I do not criticize him much on Autry,. He did well in Indy and i thought he was more of a scheme fit and  I never expected him to replicate the success he had with Indy when he went to another team. Performing like he did in Tennessee surprised me  but he was also working with an all world DT in Simmons to take most of the heat. You are correct about Pittman not being resigned. I just  wish Ballard wouldn't gush so much on a player when working on possibly bringing him back. Simple we would like to have him back if the numbers work!!

Do you think the Autry decision undermines your 'he wants to be friends with everyone' criticism? Same for Justin Houston (with whom he had significant history from KC), Glowinski, Shaq Leonard, Nyheim Hines, Gilmore, etc... 

Ballard talked up Hines over and over again for years, despite the fact that I don't think Reich ever figured out how to maximize Hines. Then when the time came, Ballard traded Hines. Did you predict that move? Was it conservative? Did his previous 'gushing' about Hines affect his roster decisions?

I'm just asking because I wonder if you think any of this is legitimate criticism, or if it's just you venting your frustration. I think there's plenty of room to be critical of Ballard, and I say that as someone who likes Ballard. But some of this stuff seems petty, IMO. 

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You mean Jordan Love, who up until this year was thought by everyone to be a huge bust?   That Jordan Love?   This was Love’s 4th year.  Fourth!  A huge disappointment for three and in his 4th year, he shows big improvement.  

Just as an aside... I get your point, and mostly agree, but I will always push back on this. Yes, people voiced disappointment, but Jordan Love should not be considered a disappointment, IMO. He didn't play. That's not his fault.

Aaron Rodgers responded to the Packers drafting Jordan Love by putting together consecutive MVP seasons in 2020 and 2021. Then he fell off in 2022, and everyone was ready to move on. But there's not much Jordan Love could have done live up to whatever expectations people had after he was drafted, not with a future HOFer playing like an MVP ahead of him. Put that on the Packers, if someone has to be blamed for it. But not on Love.

And I know you're probably talking about the general perception of Jordan Love, and not necessarily your own thinking. But I think this general perception is nonsense, in this case. It's especially ironic in this case, since Rodgers sat for three years behind Favre...

Just a pet peeve of mine. Carry on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

For those of you who were saying Evan’s yards per catch was much higher then Pittman and were laughing at me when said they run a lot of the same routes let’s remember that Evan’s  played with Winston who had a very big arm. 

Evans has played with 10 other QBs and he still has a high yards per catch.

• Like 1

Just now, runthepost said:

Evans has played with 10 other QBs and he still has a high yards per catch.

And who were those QB? I know some of you really want to rip on Pittman but he had had trash quarterbacks. Ryan couldn’t throw the ball and Minshew doesn’t even look to throw down field. Just wait you will see what happens when he has a QB who does.  Wentz was the only QB he had who had a arm.

16 hours ago, Superman said:

Just as an aside... I get your point, and mostly agree, but I will always push back on this. Yes, people voiced disappointment, but Jordan Love should not be considered a disappointment, IMO. He didn't play. That's not his fault.

Aaron Rodgers responded to the Packers drafting Jordan Love by putting together consecutive MVP seasons in 2020 and 2021. Then he fell off in 2022, and everyone was ready to move on. But there's not much Jordan Love could have done live up to whatever expectations people had after he was drafted, not with a future HOFer playing like an MVP ahead of him. Put that on the Packers, if someone has to be blamed for it. But not on Love.

And I know you're probably talking about the general perception of Jordan Love, and not necessarily your own thinking. But I think this general perception is nonsense, in this case. It's especially ironic in this case, since Rodgers sat for three years behind Favre...

Thanks for responding to that disingenuous reporting.

Love couldn't have been  seriously  graded as a huge disappointment for just the common sense reasons you shared. 

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

And who were those QB? I know some of you really want to rip on Pittman but he had had trash quarterbacks. Ryan couldn’t throw the ball and Minshew doesn’t even look to throw down field. Just wait you will see what happens when he has a QB who does.  Wentz was the only QB he had who had a arm.

Pittman does well underneath too, did so with Rivers too.

But comparing him to Mike Evans is apples and oranges because Mike Evans has a larger body of work. So to me, re-signing Pittman is a given for our system and then we look for other options, most likely from the draft to have a younger core to grow with the young QB, IMO.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

For those of you who were saying Evan’s yards per catch was much higher then Pittman and were laughing at me when said they run a lot of the same routes let’s remember that Evan’s  played with Winston who had a very big arm. 

Evans has ALWAYS had more ypc than Pittman and ALWAYS had a higher adot. They are not alike. 

• Like 3

What's the point of this thread again? To bash Pittman? He's a good WR. People expect your WR1 to put up 1500 yards + 10 TDs and that's not realistic. Look at the Chiefs and Ravens. They don't have a WR1 yet they're both in the AFCCG. It's more about having a variety of weapons rather than one guy. I do agree Colts need another pass catcher but it doesn't have to come in the form of a WR (Brock Bowers please). Pittman definitely needs to be re-signed. Expecting him to take under 20 million is unrealistic. Same people saying they'd let him walk if he wanted too much are going to be the same people complaining about the lack of receiving options next year. 

19 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

You're really overhyping Love. He's been good, not great. Certainly not an elite QB or a top 5 one in the NFL (those are the guys that win rings, Purdy aside). Part of the reason why Love has been playing well is his supporting cast. Are you gonna say Baker Mayfield is an elite QB now? Colts liking Love was never confirmed either. It was just a baseless rumor that came from nowhere. Just because you like someone doesn't mean they're good. Christian Watson isn't lighting up the NFL (and he has drop problems). Ballard has been hitting on most of his picks, which is important. Seems like you hate Ballard too much to realize that these players aren't anything special. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Superman said:

Judging Love from his first three years as "a HUGE disappointment" is worthy of talking head, pundit, arm chair GM level commentary. Blather.

He came into the league with solid college credentials. 

Sitting behind an all time great with a really good offensive mind as a HC should have been a great opportunity. Love looks to be playing near the higher level of draft day expectations by year 4's end.  

A fun question, skill wise, dollars being equal, who would you pick as your QB for the next 3 years? Justin Herbert, Tua, D Watson, K Murray, Jordan Love? 

With the first pick... 

On 1/21/2024 at 11:20 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colds have just a good chance of winning a ring getting Richardson back as Texans. Some of you are way too worried about Texans. 

The Texans have the much better blueprint.  We're doing the things the hard way.  Hey, let's take an athletic QB who isn't a great passer and hope he turns into a passer.  Let’s draft a receiver who can run go routes and hope he can turn into a route runner.  Let's draft an edge in the middle of the first who can stop the run and is a hardworker and hope he can turn into a pass rusher.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, #12. said:

The Texans have the much better blueprint.  We're doing the things the hard way.  Hey, let's take an athletic QB who isn't a great passer and hope he turns into a passer.  Let’s draft a receiver who can run go routes and hope he can turn into a route runner.  Let's draft an edge in the middle of the first who can stop the run and is a hardworker and hope he can turn into a pass rusher.  

Richardson proved  he wasn’t this horrible passer everyone thought. 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Richardson proved  he wasn’t this horrible passer everyone thought. 

Yeah, he showed some signs, and it might all work, but it still feels like we're doing everything the hard way.  

Pitt has all the makings of a WR1. It's just unfortunate he's never had consistent QB play. Rivers to Wentz to Ryan. AR is obviously the long term QB for Pitt, but the problem is figuring out what Pitt is worth. He's clearly going to make 20-25 mil a year, but that's a huge gamble to see how AR and Pitt click. Regardless if we re-sign Pitt or not, we need more explosive playmaking outside of Taylor.

16 hours ago, #12. said:

Yeah, he showed some signs, and it might all work, but it still feels like we're doing everything the hard way.  

What are the Colts doing wrong that you view it as doing everything the hard way?

The Colts didn’t hurt AR.  If Richardson had remained healthy we’d all have a much better understanding of how good AR might be someday.   But with his injury, AR is a year behind schedule.  Again, not the Colts fault, sometimes stuff happens.  

Im curious to hear more about your viewpoint…

On 1/22/2024 at 4:54 PM, NewColtsFan said:

How many Colts fans are that patient?   

The Giants Daniel Jones didn’t show much until his 4th year last year.   Sometimes it takes QB longer to have the game slow down for them.  Nothing beats experience and you have to be patient for that to happen.  I strongly suspect I’ll be writing about this the next 2-3 years when Colts fans lose patience with AR.  

I think from past posts we agree on being fans of JLove. But did many people really view Love as a huge bust, as you say, when he wasn’t even playing? I think many saw it as a blown pick because GB already had a great QB, but Love was viewed as an unknown not a bust. Just my opinion. I agree that fans will need to be patient with AR. He is going to do some amazing stuff and some amazingly dumb stuff, but I’m excited for it all. 
EDIT: I see this point has already been made before me. Carry on! 

23 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Evans has ALWAYS had more ypc than Pittman and ALWAYS had a higher adot. They are not alike. 

Evans was a top 10 draft pick who entered the league at 21 and legit broke out at 22. 

They are not alike at all. I actually think there is a decent chance that Evans is better the next 3 years as well. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, #12. said:

For real. So much drafting on potential and upside. And Ballard is constantly praised for it, as if these guys are sure things. 

Let’s draft a raw ER in R2 and he develops into an actual NFL player. (Banogu) 

Let’s draft a slow CB who lacks agility and hope he can be our lockdown CB1. (RYS)

Let’s draft a raw DL player in with a torn Achilles in R2 and hope that he recovers and turns into the R1 player only we think he is. (Dayo)

Let’s draft an older, but still raw TE who has one year of receiving in college in R3 and hope he learns how to run routes and catch and be our TE1. (Woods)

To Ballard’s credit, the “let’s draft this older OT with only two years experience in college and hope he becomes our LT” has worked out. But there are far more that haven’t. That’s why I always contend that Ballard’s drafting post-2018 is way overrated. 

At the end of the day, how much of all of that “potential” has been realized into winning football games? 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

I think from past posts we agree on being fans of JLove. But did many people really view Love as a huge bust, as you say, when he wasn’t even playing? I think many saw it as a blown pick because GB already had a great QB, but Love was viewed as an unknown not a bust. Just my opinion. I agree that fans will need to be patient with AR. He is going to do some amazing stuff and some amazingly dumb stuff, but I’m excited for it all. 
EDIT: I see this point has already been made before me. Carry on! 

Well….  You’ve asked the question and @Superman did as well so it seems appropriate to respond. 

Id say this.   I always read that Love looked terrible in practice and was unimpressive at best in the pre-season games where he did play.   Now maybe Love showed enough improvement in his third year that the Packers felt confident in keeping him for his 4th year and giving him the keys to the car, so to speak.   That seems a more reasonable evaluation than my original view of being a complete bust for three years.  So let’s call it two years.  

So I think Love had some degree of control of his future.  If he didn’t look good in practice or pre-season where football is much easier he had to have some level of responsibility for how his own career unfolded.   

By the way, and not for nothing, but if I remember correctly, Rodgers didn’t help much by saying it wasn’t his job to baby sit Love and show him the ropes.   I think Rodgers caught some heat for that and IMO deservedly so. 

This would be my updated view. 

3 hours ago, shasta519 said:

For real. So much drafting on potential and upside. And Ballard is constantly praised for it, as if these guys are sure things. 

Let’s draft a raw ER in R2 and he develops into an actual NFL player. (Banogu) 

Let’s draft a slow CB who lacks agility and hope he can be our lockdown CB1. (RYS)

Let’s draft a raw DL player in with a torn Achilles in R2 and hope that he recovers and turns into the R1 player only we think he is. (Dayo)

Let’s draft an older, but still raw TE who has one year of receiving in college in R3 and hope he learns how to run routes and catch and be our TE1. (Woods)

To Ballard’s credit, the “let’s draft this older OT with only two years experience in college and hope he becomes our LT” has worked out. But there are far more that haven’t. That’s why I always contend that Ballard’s drafting post-2018 is way overrated. 

At the end of the day, how much of all of that “potential” has been realized into winning football games? 

To be fair Dayo is probably our best pass rasher now. It worked. He needs more snaps.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well….  You’ve asked the question and @Superman did as well so it seems appropriate to respond. 

Id say this.   I always read that Love looked terrible in practice and was unimpressive at best in the pre-season games where he did play.   Now maybe Love showed enough improvement in his third year that the Packers felt confident in keeping him for his 4th year and giving him the keys to the car, so to speak.   That seems a more reasonable evaluation than my original view of being a complete bust for three years.  So let’s call it two years.  

So I think Love had some degree of control of his future.  If he didn’t look good in practice or pre-season where football is much easier he had to have some level of responsibility for how his own career unfolded.   

By the way, and not for nothing, but if I remember correctly, Rodgers didn’t help much by saying it wasn’t his job to baby sit Love and show him the ropes.   I think Rodgers caught some heat for that and IMO deservedly so. 

This would be my updated view. 

I think it's true that there were mixed reviews about how Love looked in practice and in preseason games. There were rumors out there. 

But my point is that, short of Love playing like an MVP in those very rare opportunities. there wasn't much of anything he could have done to change the way his first three seasons went. The Packers weren't going to push Rodgers out unless he fell apart, and it's unlikely that they were going to trade Love, especially if he looked impressive in very limited snaps, because they drafted him to replace Rodgers. I would say any disappointment was with the situation, even the use of a first rounder on a backup QB, and not with the player himself.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I think it's true that there were mixed reviews about how Love looked in practice and in preseason games. There were rumors out there. 

But my point is that, short of Love playing like an MVP in those very rare opportunities. there wasn't much of anything he could have done to change the way his first three seasons went. The Packers weren't going to push Rodgers out unless he fell apart, and it's unlikely that they were going to trade Love, especially if he looked impressive in very limited snaps, because they drafted him to replace Rodgers. I would say any disappointment was with the situation, even the use of a first rounder on a backup QB, and not with the player himself.

I guess the pick looks good now but Rodgers could have benefitted from a first round WR at the time. It’s very interesting to examine that pick. 

6 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I’m a little late to the game, but I just saw that MPJ and his wife bough a farm in Indiana.

Sounds like he’s going to sign eventually.  

If you listen to his end of the year comments to the press even though he said he wants to test the market he also pretty much said he would sign the tag too.  I think he knows how this is going to play out.  The smart thing for him to do was say I don’t want to negotiate during the year and I want to test the market.  That almost forces Ballard to tag him or let him hit the open market and take a chance on losing him, which the Colts can’t really afford when you look at the make up of the WR room without him.  From there Pittman and Ballard can work on a long term extension with Pittman now able to say you thought I was valuable enough to tag me so the deal has to reflect that.  Worst case they can’t get anything done and he plays this year on the franchise tag.  That’s why I’ve said all along you can call Pittman what you want but he’s going to get paid.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

If you listen to his end of the year comments to the press even though he said he wants to test the market he also pretty much said he would sign the tag too.  I think he knows how this is going to play out.  The smart thing for him to do was say I don’t want to negotiate during the year and I want to test the market.  That almost forces Ballard to tag him or let him hit the open market and take a chance on losing him, which the Colts can’t really afford when you look at the make up of the WR room without him.  From there Pittman and Ballard can work on a long term extension with Pittman now able to say you thought I was valuable enough to tag me so the deal has to reflect that.  Worst case they can’t get anything done and he plays this year on the franchise tag.  That’s why I’ve said all along you can call Pittman what you want but he’s going to get paid.  

I’ll admit, the term “generational wealth” is foreign to me.  And I do understand why guys don’t want to be tagged.

But a smart guy like MPJ could take that tag money and turn it into generational wealth with no problem, if he should have a career ending injury.

So, at least if it were me, I also wouldn’t have an issue if they tagged me.  

But I hope they sign him.  The argument that he’s not a true #1 is moot.  He’s a chain mover.  That makes him a #1 in my book.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

I guess the pick looks good now but Rodgers could have benefitted from a first round WR at the time. It’s very interesting to examine that pick. 

There's a lot that can be said about the decision to draft Love at the time. Rodgers looked like he was declining, his numbers were down, and it wouldn't be crazy to assume that his best years were behind him. He also could have demanded a trade at any time.

Also, the Packers don't draft WRs in the first round, so I never looked at it as 'they took Love instead of a WR for Rodgers.' Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, Jordy Nelson... all of Rodgers favorite receivers, all second rounders. Even now, Watson was a second rounder, Doubs a 4th, Reed a second. They haven't taken a WR in the first round since Javon Walker, in 2002. 

But yeah, in hindsight, they might have been better off adding weapons around Rodgers rather than drafting Love. At least in the short term. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Rule # 1: when you really love a QB, you draft him, especially in the pick range where you could get him. Even if you have current franchise QB, especially at the back end of his career. 

As a Vikings fan, I'd have liked Packers to be without a QB for few years like every other team, but wow... When it comes to QBs, they seem to always have seamless transition from one franchise QB to their next. They seem to have eyes for those traits, it's incredible.

After season ending injury in 2017, Rodgers took time to get back to Elite form so they must have started looking for the right time to draft a QB to sit behind him. It's not like they wasted first round picks for many years when Rodgers was with him, trying to find a young QB. They just spent in one year of their drafts, and that was it. It's not really a wastage of picks if you see it that way, especially when it comes to QBs. As for weapons, they focused on protection for Rodgers well and defense, they probably didn't get lucky in draft with weapons as they've been able to get for Jordan Love in last couple of years. 

People can sit and gripe about the number of Touchdowns Pittman has throughout his career, but you also need to look at the fact he's played with a different starting QB every year he's been in the league. Two of them the age of 37, Carson Wentz, and a backup QB in Gardner Minshew for a majority of the 2023 season. Giving him a healthy AR5 for an entire season while bringing in more explosive play-makers to take some attention off him would more than likely double his TD numbers in 2024. I think he's deserving of a contract in which he's being paid roughly 20 million a year. The Colts may have to pay a bit more than that if they allow him to hit the open market and allow other teams to bid on him. Either way, he's the best WR on this team by a mile and they need to bring him back.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He has had way more snaps. Dayo is probably our best pure speed rusher.

Dayo plays a fair amount of RDE, but it’s mostly split with Ebukam.   I double checked and Ebukam has only 80 more snaps.   Over season, that’s 4-5 more snaps per game.   

As for Dayo, who I’m a big fan of, speed is not part of his game.   He’s 6’6” and 286, he’s almost as big as Buckner.   But Dayo’s asset is his power.  Remember, he also plays DT at the 3-tech.   Dayo plays RDE not because it’s his best position, but because with Kwity at LDE and Buckner at 3T,  Dayo plays it out of necessity with Ebukam.   We want him in the field.  

But his pass rush game is built around power, not speed.   

12 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I’ll admit, the term “generational wealth” is foreign to me.  And I do understand why guys don’t want to be tagged.

But a smart guy like MPJ could take that tag money and turn it into generational wealth with no problem, if he should have a career ending injury.

So, at least if it were me, I also wouldn’t have an issue if they tagged me.  

But I hope they sign him.  The argument that he’s not a true #1 is moot.  He’s a chain mover.  That makes him a #1 in my book.  

I agree with your last point, always have.  The term number one WR definition is subjective and can change from person to person.  To me when you are your teams top WR and provide one third of your teams offense you are number one.  Add into that I don’t think there are 32 better WRs than him in the league he’s clearly a number one.  I think what some want when they say number one WR is an elite WR like Harrison or Wayne was.  Pittman isn’t that but he’s very clearly the Colts number one WR and a player they can’t afford to lose.  

I think Pittman looks at the tag much like you, when asked about it he said who wouldn’t getting paid what the cap amount is.  Like you said Pittman is smart.  He knows the Colts can’t afford to lose him.  So he’s just working the situation to get the best deal he can which is smart on his part.  I think he knows he’s staying in Indy one way or another.

• Like 2