Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Comparing Pittman to other WRs

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

Just sayin'. when Brown first started playing for Philly there were some things on the field that struck me as him not being the classiest guy, or a Diva with a temper. 

That trade was always a head scratcher, so maybe there were behind the scenes issues that the GM saw that made him not eager to hitch TENs wagon to Brown with a pricey contract, that the general fan base didn't understand.  Just looking back at the situation now. 

WR 1 receivers seem to be getting traded a lot lately.  Adams, Brown, Diggs, Hill, the list goes on and on.  Teams looking for that missing piece to try and get them to the top.  Brown has never come across as a troublemaker to me.  Crosby is threatening to ask for a trade if Pierce is not their coach.  Does that mean he is a trouble maker and you don’t want him on your team?  Not to me it doesn’t.  He could force a trade as well.  Brown has been paid.  It’s not about money for him.  He is not happy right now just as Crosby is not happy right now.  Different circumstances sure but not a big deal in my mind.  Both elite players worth having on your team.  

20 hours ago, lester said:

It is my opinion, from the outside looking in, that Michael Pittman Jr. is laying deep roots, personally, in the Indy area. He bought a farm with a custom residence within just the last few months. He has been steadily improving the homestead, buying machinery, and adding to his livestock. You don't make that purchase, with that timing, if you're really expecting to move on shortly.

Yep. Seems like Indy might even end up being his home post retirement with everything he is doing. His wife is from Michigan. Her dad has a  farm in Michigan. So Indy would be a nice place to settle and still be close enough to her family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I can’t remember which podcast I was listening too yesterday but I think it was one of the media ones. But apparently Pittmans dad had been in around leaving comments on fans instagrams saying Pittman will be back.

I would be shocked if Pittman is not brought back.  Ballard has always signed and rewarded his own players who have performed.  Many thought JT was gone with his contract dispute but here he is. Ballard said in his press conference they are close.  I think he’s coming back.  We just don’t know the contract details yet.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 8:21 AM, lollygagger8 said:

If we had a QB that wore contacts that could actually see the number 14, there would've been more shots down the field when Pierce was wide open. Pittman would in turn benefit from having the safeties clear out. 

Pittman is hard as nails. The poor guy hasn't had a legit QB since he came to Indy, so putting those kind of numbers up despite that is impressive. 

Pay Pittman, and add another WR that can create separation. 

Thank LG for this knowledgeable, common since response. 

Of the long list of top receivers, Pittman is more like Keenan Allen. But certainly more physical. We need a Reggie sized, very quick and fast guy that can get open quick to complement our passing attack. 

Given that, Pitts receptions will go down but his ypc and TD's will go up. This season he neared his potential. He is a very good player.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2024 at 10:24 AM, richard pallo said:

I would be shocked if Pittman is not brought back.  Ballard has always signed and rewarded his own players who have performed.  Many thought JT was gone with his contract dispute but here he is. Ballard said in his press conference they are close.  I think he’s coming back.  We just don’t know the contract details yet.

Ballard didn’t really say they are close in terms of a contract he said they would work to keep him which really doesn’t mean much.  

I think Pittman is coming back don’t get me wrong but Pittman made it pretty clear his preference is to test the market so I don’t think he’s saying that while being close to a new contract with the Colts.  I do think the Colts will tag him to keep him from getting on the open market and then I think a long term deal will be done.

Honestly, I’d bet Pittman is on the back burner right now for Ballard because he knows he can tag him and deal with him later.  He’s probably more busy making decisions on guys like Moore, Grover, Blackmon, Moss, and Minshew who will be true free agents if they don’t get deals done.  

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Ballard didn’t really say they are close in terms of a contract he said they would work to keep him which really doesn’t mean much.  

I think Pittman is coming back don’t get me wrong but Pittman made it pretty clear his preference is to test the market so I don’t think he’s saying that while being close to a new contract with the Colts.  I do think the Colts will tag him to keep him from getting on the open market and then I think a long term deal will be done.

Honestly, I’d bet Pittman is on the back burner right now for Ballard because he knows he can tag him and deal with him later.  He’s probably more busy making decisions on guys like Moore, Grover, Blackmon, Moss, and Minshew who will be true free agents if they don’t get deals done.  

Pittman did say he didn’t want any contract talks going on until after the season was over. So yes they aren’t close because no talks. I am sure they have started talks now though.

On 1/15/2024 at 5:15 PM, Solid84 said:

I agree every team needs a guy like him and I'd like to keep him for the right price. I hope we don't go above $20m per year, but I think Ballard will give him near Tag level money.

I think Ballard will have to pay him large. These type of receivers are very hard to come by.

22 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I keep seeing colt fans wanting evens to go with Pittman. I watched today he is the exact same WR as Pittman. He runs the same routes ect.  Some of the deep stuff Pittman will get with a better QB like AR. There is no room for Evan’s and he is not the the kind of WR colt fans have been wanting.

Evans had 2 fewer TDs this season, than Pittman does in his entire career.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That isn’t my point. I am talking routes ect. Colt fans  want a WR that can take the top off a defense. That is not Evan’s. 

He averages around 15 yards per catch. That would work. 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That isn’t my point. I am talking routes ect. Colts want a WR that can take the top off a defense. That is not Evan’s. 

Ok. 

Not sure what you're talking about, but carry on. He averages 15.9ypc for his career. Can't believe you watched that game today and came away with that conclusion. Evans almost single handedly brought them back. 

If presented the option, I am signing Evans to a 2-3 yr deal $20-$22 per season

Tag and trading Pittman 

Hopefully going into the draft with (2) 1st.

Evans has been in the league 10 seasons and has 10 1000 yards seasons. NO other WR has done that. Only reason I don't want Evans is he's 30 (turning 31 this year) and that doesn't really align with our window.

I also think Evans wants to go to a contender.

• Like 3

Also, Evans average depth of target is 15.2 this season (15.0 for his career). Pittman is 8.1 this year and 8.6 for his career. I don't get where you get the idea they run the same routes, but they definitely do not.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

He averages around 15 yards per catch. That would work. 

I watched today. A lot of crossing routes ect. Pittmans yards per catch will go up with a QB that can actually throw farther downfield. Evan the deep one Evan’s got today it wasn’t a ton of separation. A good dime by baker.

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Evans has been in the league 10 seasons and has 10 1000 yards seasons. NO other WR has done that. Only reason I don't want Evans is he's 30 (turning 31 this year) and that doesn't really align with our window.

While I agree, Evans would not mind going to a team like the Texans with Stroud to take them from where the Bucs are in the middle of the pack, to where the Chiefs and Bengals are, IMO. That is what scares me most because the Texans - they grabbed Teair Tart off waivers, Derek Barnett off waivers, didn't mind giving up a future 1st for Will Anderson and most certainly have a lot of cap space to go after Evans. If anything, I bet the Texans end up with Evans or Higgins in the FA market.

• Like 2

Just now, chad72 said:

While I agree, Evans would not mind going to a team like the Texans with Stroud to take them from where the Bucs are in the middle of the pack, to where the Chiefs and Bengals are, IMO. That is what scares me most because the Texans - they grabbed Teair Tart off waivers, Derek Barnett off waivers, didn't mind giving up a future 1st for Will Anderson and most certainly have a lot of cap space to go after Evans. If anything, I bet the Texans end up with Evans or Higgins in the FA market.

Evans could go to the Texans, because they have Stroud. They KNOW they have their guy and he's ready NOW. I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans are REALLY aggressive this offseason.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Texans don’t need a WR1 or WR2.

No, but Evans is better than anything they have and if he's willing to sign for cheap for at chance at a ring within the next 3 years, why not? The Texans will be looking at every opportunity to get better this offseason.

Evans kinda fits the timeline well, imo. 

If he's here for a couple years, and we get compensation for Pittman, we can draft a WR early to replace Evans when time is up. Gives us another weapon in the room, while having extra picks as well.

He might not be interested? But if I was presented the opportunity, that's probably the route I would look to go.

No, but Evans is better than anything they have and if he's willing to sign for cheap for at chance at a ring within the next 3 years, why not? The Texans will be looking at every opportunity to get better this offseason.

Colds have just a good chance of winning a ring getting Richardson back as Texans. Some of you are way too worried about Texans. Colts are going to be a problem too. Texans couldn’t stop a dual threat QB this weekend. Or stop Richardson when we played them.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

If he's here for a couple years, and we get compensation for Pittman, we can draft a WR early to replace Evans when time is up. Gives us another weapon in the room, while having extra picks as well.

He might not be interested? But if I was presented the opportunity, that's probably the route I would look to go.

What are toy talking about. You want to get rid of Pittman and Sign Evan’s? that’s not a smart move.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Evans is hands down better than Pittman, but I just think it's a bad signal to send to the locker room. IF Pittman wants to leave AND Evans would want to play here I could see it. But, I don't think Pittman wants to leave - I just think he's posturing - and I don't think Evans wants to play here. I think he wants a ring. If I was him I'd have my agent call up the Bills right now in fact..

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colds have just a good chance of winning a ring getting Richardson back as Texans. Some of you are way too worried about Texans. Colts are going to be a problem too. Texans couldn’t stop a dual threat QB this weekend. Or stop Richardson when we played them.

What are toy talking about. You want to get rid of Pittman and Sign Evan’s? that’s not a smart move.

Pittman is already halfway out the door.

50/50 best he returns as we sit here today, imo. We are in a 6 week holding pattern, until it's official tag time. He isn't agreeing to a long term deal without seeing the market, unless we break the bank. So essentially he is franchise Tagged, right now, imo.

So yes, if we can get Mike Evans for 2-3 years(maybe more) and a couple picks for Pittman (who potentially wants to head West). I am doing it.

It's all a hypothetical.

I've said numerous times, that I want Pittman back and would even give him a 5yr $100m deal. Whether that's enough, or too much, doesn't really matter. Just saying that is my preference, but I have my doubts that's what will end up happening at this moment.(him playing here in 24)

19 minutes ago, w87r said:

50/50 best he returns as we sit here today, imo. We are in a 6 week holding pattern, until it's official tag time. He isn't agreeing to a long term deal without seeing the market, unless we break the bank. So essentially he is franchise Tagged, right now, imo.

So yes, if we can get Mike Evans for 2-3 years(maybe more) and a couple picks for Pittman (who potentially wants to head West). I am doing it.

It's all a hypothetical.

I've said numerous times, that I want Pittman back and would even give him a 5yr $100m deal. Whether that's enough, or too much, doesn't really matter. Just saying that is my preference, but I have my doubts that's what will end up happening at this moment.(him playing here in 24)

No he isn’t. You seem to be projecting your wishes.

For whatever it’s worth….

One major advantage that Pitt has over Evans is that he’s 4 years younger.   Evans is 30 now, and will be 31 at the start of next season.  And wide receivers tend to age rapidly, one year you’re very good, and the fall off can be shockingly swift.  

9 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Evans is hands down better than Pittman, but I just think it's a bad signal to send to the locker room. IF Pittman wants to leave AND Evans would want to play here I could see it. But, I don't think Pittman wants to leave - I just think he's posturing - and I don't think Evans wants to play here. I think he wants a ring. If I was him I'd have my agent call up the Bills right now in fact..

I can't really see why Evans would want to play here, given other options that could be available. Re-signing MPJ is the path of least resistance and the one this team will take.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Evans is building on his Hall of Fame career and I severely doubt he comes here. What makes people think that the Colts are closer to winning it all than the Bucs? Are we forgetting that they just  made the playoffs?

11 hours ago, w87r said:

I do not agree. Not even in the slightest. Pittman is homesteading in Indiana.

MPJ doesn't want to go anywhere. Ballard does not want him to go anywhere.

Right now, both sides are just peacocking over whatever the final number will be.

Snip20240122_4.jpg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Evans is building on his Hall of Fame career and I severely doubt he comes here. What makes people think that the Colts are closer to winning it all than the Bucs? Are we forgetting that they just  made the playoffs?

Well….  For starters, the Colts beat the Bucs head to head.  

And the reason the Bucs are in the playoffs, is that they won the weakest conference in the NFL.   Yes, the NFC South is viewed as much weaker than the AFC South. 

56 minutes ago, lester said:

I do not agree. Not even in the slightest. Pittman is homesteading in Indiana.

MPJ doesn't want to go anywhere. Ballard does not want him to go anywhere.

Right now, both sides are just peacocking over whatever the final number will be.

Snip20240122_4.jpg

Yeah Pittman actions do not show he is half way  out the door.  Buying the farm and all the animals is not something you do when you are thinking about leaving. 

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Remember that when someone has an opposing view lol! 

LOL!

I’ve never thought of you as anything other than an arm chair QB.   I don’t care about other points of view, I’m totally fine with opposing views.   

You get pushback from me and many others because you post what are perceived as poor arguments.   I’ve never called you a troll, but many others have.  

All I care about is the quality of the argument.   From time to time, you’ve made good arguments and I’ve said so.   But when you don’t, I try to say so and explain the flaw in the argument.  

All I really care about is the quality of the argument.  

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Remember that when someone has an opposing view lol! 

One other point….

Let’s not forget that you’re the same guy who starting around the pre-season you stated you were going to give Ballard a pass all season long.  That you understood what was going to happen this season.  The Colts were going to play their rookies and other young players to give them much needed experience.   You said you were on board with all of it.  And you said it multiple times over a period of weeks and months. 

And what did it take?   6-8 weeks?   And suddenly you flip-flopped and were back bashing Ballard.  Considering the Colts were starting the backup and Taylor wasn’t playing the Colts had either met or exceeded expectations.  Yet you did a complete 180 and you were back to bashing Ballard.   

You're entitled to any opinion you want.  You're even entitled to change your mind. Plenty of people do that.   But it’s hard to take that seriously when you do it after the team is meeting or exceeding expectations.