Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So Who We Going To Ride For As Backup For AR Next Season

Boss7894

29 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

True, but does Gardner want to stay?  He may be the guy a team like Washington or even The Bears want to start if they draft their future franchise QB. 

I'm sure Minshew wants a chance to start or at least play more that (we hope) he gets to play in Indy.

How many teams draft their future franchise quarterback and then sit them? 

Typically,  they play them, the way the Colts did with AR.   The way Carolina did with Young, and Houston did with Stroud. 

Sure, you can point to Levis with Tenn, but when teams use a high pick to draft a quarterback they typically play them. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

How many teams draft their future franchise quarterback and then sit them? 

Typically,  they play them, the way the Colts did with AR.   The way Carolina did with Young, and Houston did with Stroud. 

Sure, you can point to Levis with Tenn, but when teams use a high pick to draft a quarterback they typically play them. 

You're talking guys at the top of the draft.  Love sat in GB (obviously why) but Mahomes also sat in KC for a year.  

Sometimes teams draft their future franchise QB (like Levis) with the intention of letting them sit. 

A guy like Nix or McCarthy, maybe even Penix or Pratt, may be drafted in the second or later to be the teams future franchise QB, but knowing they need work.

But, all that being said, wouldn't you think that Minshew would want to be somewhere where he has a chance to start, not sit and wait for an injury?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

You're talking guys at the top of the draft.  Love sat in GB (obviously why) but Mahomes also sat in KC for a year.  

Sometimes teams draft their future franchise QB (like Levis) with the intention of letting them sit. 

A guy like Nix or McCarthy, maybe even Penix or Pratt, may be drafted in the second or later to be the teams future franchise QB, but knowing they need work.

But, all that being said, wouldn't you think that Minshew would want to be somewhere where he has a chance to start, not sit and wait for an injury?

Yes….  But your example was the Bears.   Chicago will be drafting at or near the top of the first.  You yourself said if you’re drafting that high, odds are you’re playing the pick.  

KC is an exception to the rule.   They were a playoff caliber team and had Alex Smith to start, so they could afford to sit Mahomes. 

As for Minshew….  It’s hard to know.   What will the Colts offer him?   What are his priorities.  Odds are any team that might want him to be their starting QB would only want him for one year.  

That said, do you really see a team wanting Gardner Minshew to be their starting quarterback?   Can you sell that to the fan base?   I like Minshew, always have dating back to his one year at Washington State.   I hope we keep him.   But I don’t see a team wanting to make him their starter, so I hope it’s a non-issue and he ends up staying.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes….  But your example was the Bears.   Chicago will be drafting at or near the top of the first.  You yourself said if you’re drafting that high, odds are you’re playing the pick.  

KC is an exception to the rule.   They were a playoff caliber team and had Alex Smith to start, so they could afford to sit Mahomes. 

As for Minshew….  It’s hard to know.   What will the Colts offer him?   What are his priorities.  Odds are any team that might want him to be their starting QB would only want him for one year.  

That said, do you really see a team wanting Gardner Minshew to be their starting quarterback?   Can you sell that to the fan base?   I like Minshew, always have dating back to his one year at Washington State.   I hope we keep him.   But I don’t see a team wanting to make him their starter, so I hope it’s a non-issue and he ends up staying.  

Fair enough.  But what about a teams like Atlanta, the Seahawks, or maybe even the Raiders?  They're probably going to draft QBs, and they may not be ready to  start.  Who knows.

I think Minshew is better than Ridder, O'Connell, or Lock (assuming Geno is gone).

But to answer your question - no, I wouldn't want Minshew to be my starting QB.  I'm just pointing out that he may have other opportunities and may not want to re-sign with the Colts, even if they want thim.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Fair enough.  But what about a teams like Atlanta, the Seahawks, or maybe even the Raiders?  They're probably going to draft QBs, and they may not be ready to  start.  Who knows.

I think Minshew is better than Ridder, O'Connell, or Lock (assuming Geno is gone).

But to answer your question - no, I wouldn't want Minshew to be my starting QB.  I'm just pointing out that he may have other opportunities and may not want to re-sign with the Colts, even if they want thim.

Well….  Atlanta spent a 3 on Ridder and think they still like him.   But while I think it’s possible they might replace him, it’s hard to see them doing it with Minshew.   Atlanta will be picking high, so they’d draft a quarterback and would want to play him.  

Seattle has Geno Smith who is one year into a new 3/75 contract he signed before last year.  I think the Seahawks love Smith.   Could they get out of that deal without much damage?   Probably, but for Gardner Minshew?   Hard to see that.  

That leaves the Raiders.   I think this might be the most logical landing spot.  But can you sell Minshew to the glitz and glamour of Las Vegas?    Again, hard to see.

I want to stress,  I really like Minshew and hope we find a way to keep him.  I recently read GM made a few million extra in bonus incentives.   So I think that shows the Colts value him.   My hunch is the Colts will try to sign him and if they can’t ask that he give them a chance to meet or exceed any offer he gets.   I think this has been Ballard’s way since he arrived. 

Tough question. The popular answer is gonna be Minshew, but I don't think he can win playoff games. He clearly has proven he can win some games, about half of the games he plays. Which is good for a backup. But not good for a starter. 

If we go based on pure value I think Sam Ehlinger is the answer. We've invested the roster spot and energy from coaches into him for the last few years now, might as well let him be QB2 going into the last one. By now his football IQ should be of some use if he was to play 0 snaps, if AR gets injured, I have faith Shane would be able to utilize Ehlinger. Frank Reich proved he was trying to force a system, rather than building a system.

If we go based on "wanting a vet to hold the clipboard" might as well pay to keep Minshew in that scenario since he's built rapport with the team. 

If we go let's find a guy that can run like Richardson, then obviously Huntley is the answer there.

My preference would be to let Ehlinger be QB2, but I can see why other's would rather go with the other scenarios+

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AKB said:

Tough question. The popular answer is gonna be Minshew, but I don't think he can win playoff games. He clearly has proven he can win some games, about half of the games he plays. Which is good for a backup. But not good for a starter. 

If we go based on pure value I think Sam Ehlinger is the answer. We've invested the roster spot and energy from coaches into him for the last few years now, might as well let him be QB2 going into the last one. By now his football IQ should be of some use if he was to play 0 snaps, if AR gets injured, I have faith Shane would be able to utilize Ehlinger. Frank Reich proved he was trying to force a system, rather than building a system.

If we go based on "wanting a vet to hold the clipboard" might as well pay to keep Minshew in that scenario since he's built rapport with the team. 

If we go let's find a guy that can run like Richardson, then obviously Huntley is the answer there.

My preference would be to let Ehlinger be QB2, but I can see why other's would rather go with the other scenarios+

I am very curious what Steichen thinks of Sam. Gives him a little more athletic QB where he can open the play  book a lot more. I don’t mind this at all.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sam = Ew Stinks GIF by Amanda Cee Media- how anyone thinks that guy is good is the most mindboggling thing. I have seen enough of him to know, he is a #3 at best.

Agreed,  I think Ballard is just letting him play out his rookie contract 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am very curious what Steichen thinks of Sam. Gives him a little more athletic QB where he can open the play  book a lot more. I don’t mind this at all.

Well….   Sam was the QB3 this year.   Which means he got zero snaps to practice this year.   Hard to see how he improved enough to be a good QB2 next year.   

Without knowing what Shane and CB think of Sam, my hunch would if the Colts lose Minshew they will find another solid veteran to be the backup QB2.   But it wouldn’t be Sam.   Just my guess… 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well….   Sam was the QB3 this year.   Which means he got zero snaps to practice this year.   Hard to see how he improved enough to be a good QB2 next year.   

Without knowing what Shane and CB think of Sam, my hunch would if the Colts lose Minshew they will find another solid veteran to be the backup QB2.   But it wouldn’t be Sam.   Just my guess… 

I agree 100%. 

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, in the Regular Season games he has played in, he was awful. 0-3 and his passes were duck like! Minshew is twice the QB he is. 

Any QB that took a regular season snap for the Colts in 2022 needs to be shot out of a cannon

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Matt Ryan one of my favorite QBs of all-time and IMO was a great QB in his prime even stunk. 2022 had some major funk going on around the whole team.

This won’t be popular, but that’s ok.  I don’t think Matt Ryan stunk.  I think the OL in front of Ryan really, REALLY stunk and that’s why he wasn’t what everyone thought he’d be.  

But the week before the Colts benched him Ryan threw for about 450 yards in a big overtime win.  The reason why the Colts benched Ryan was to make sure he didn’t get hurt which would’ve made his contract for 23 guaranteed.  

They played Ryan again toward the end of the year because Saturday asked for him and said the team wanted Ryan to be the starter again.  I’m not saying Ryan was great, just not as bad as the popular narrative here would suggest. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This won’t be popular, but that’s ok.  I don’t think Matt Ryan stunk.  I think the OL in front of Ryan really, REALLY stunk and that’s why he wasn’t what everyone thought he’d be.  

But the week before the Colts benched him Ryan threw for about 450 yards in a big overtime win.  The reason why the Colts benched Ryan was to make sure he didn’t get hurt which would’ve made his contract for 23 guaranteed.  

They played Ryan again toward the end of the year because Saturday asked for him and said the team wanted Ryan to be the starter again.  I’m not saying Ryan was great, just not as bad as the popular narrative here would suggest. 

Yeah, the Line was bad, and Taylor being injured didn't help either. I think what fooled me was, I thought Ryan could cover up a lot of our deficiencies, he didn't. His game vs the Jags was like 2016 Matt Ryan but that was about it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sam = Ew Stinks GIF by Amanda Cee Media- how anyone thinks that guy is good is the most mindboggling thing. I have seen enough of him to know, he is a #3 at best.

We'll always have a place in our heart for Sam for giving us another memorable game against NE... Lol

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What’s hard to explain is we basically have the same starting five we had after Saturday came in. Just my opinion but it was more just everyone stopped listening to Reich and his message just started to fall flat. I mean Chris Strausser has done a great job in Houston so we know he can coach.

• Like 1

Sam E. ain't the one guys. I never understood the fascination with him on this forum.

He has done literally nothing, ever, to show me that he is the correct choice for the backup position. He couldn't beat out Eason for the backup gig for cheese's sake. The best option we could possibly have for a backup would be Minshew, assuming we could entice him to stay. Outside of that, the backup QB is not on the roster and we would either need to draft a new guy. or go get someone.

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2024 at 2:42 PM, chad72 said:

Maybe the Titans release Ryan Tannehill, who knows?? Unless it is a good vet with experience, I doubt Minshew is going anywhere because Steichen believes in continuity and seems like a loyal person to those who have been with him for a while.

I think if he leaves it will be bc someone else offered to pay him more to be their backup. Or a situation arises where he has a legitimate shot to compete to be the starter. I don't think there is any team out there that sees him as a clear cut starter.

19 hours ago, Myles said:

At this point, I think Minshew has the leverage as he started the most games as the backup QB last season.  It would be wise for the Colts to pay up and keep him.  Even if he only plays in a couple games, it would be a good buy.

Its a tough call

The guy won games for the Colts

I just dont wish to overpay for someone that SHOULD be riding the pine

41 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Its a tough call

The guy won games for the Colts

I just dont wish to overpay for someone that SHOULD be riding the pine

I understand that, but I don't want to underpay for someone who will probably be starting a few games for the team.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Myles said:

I understand that, but I don't want to underpay for someone who will probably be starting a few games for the team.  

This, especially while we have Richardson cheap. We can definitely attritbute some of that saved cap towards a good backup. 

Not Jacoby Brissett levels that we paid for a backup, but certainly enough for one of the better backups in the league (which Minshew is).

• Like 2

3 games can make or break the season for us and most on here feel he'll miss 2-4 games.10-5 could be heading towards the playoffs, but 10-8 could mean we are on the outside looking in.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chucklez said:

This, especially while we have Richardson cheap. We can definitely attritbute some of that saved cap towards a good backup. 

Not Jacoby Brissett levels that we paid for a backup, but certainly enough for one of the better backups in the league (which Minshew is).

I get the response here and agree in principle,  

I want Minshew back

BUT

Are we going to forego a needed FA FS or needed LB to pay Minshew? 

Its all about what he wants in contract

IMHO, I would like to re-sign Minshew this year and draft a late QB (this year) to be QB2, in 2025.

Sam E is an awesome kid, but he should NEVER see a NFL field again (At least as a Colt)

I would rather have a QB3 that can be developed, that has the tools, but hasnt yet put it together yet

Lastly...... WHILE we have our QB on the cheap, (As well as our LT)

NOW is the time to invest in that urgently needed DE

(Yeah...... Im a broken record)

12 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Is anyone concerned that if we do bring Minshew back and AR struggles that there may be a qb controversy?

No because there won’t be.  The world saw Minshew is a high end back up and not a starter this year.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Is anyone concerned that if we do bring Minshew back and AR struggles that there may be a qb controversy?

No worries.   None.   

Minshew is a high level backup, but that’s it.   AR is who the franchise invested in.   And it’s expected he’ll struggle from time to time.   This comes with the territory. 

And I’d add this last thought…. If by some strange occurrence a QB controversy popped up I think Steichen and Ballard (and if need be Irsay too) would squash it on Day One.  

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

No worries.   None.   

Minshew is a high level backup, but that’s it.   AR is who the franchise invested in.   And it’s expected he’ll struggle from time to time.   This comes with the territory. 

And I’d add this last thought…. If by some strange occurrence a QB controversy popped up I think Steichen and Ballard (and if need be Irsay too) would squash it on Day One.  

If Richardson struggles mightily and we lose several games in a row bc of it I can definitely see it happening. Btw anyone else see Gardner is now a pro bowl qb?

After watching Steichen interviews and Ballards press conference I am reading between the lines that they are not expecting Minshew back one way or another.  Listening to Minshew also gives me those vibes.

I really hope it’s not Jacoby  

On 1/30/2024 at 6:40 PM, Patrick Miller said:

How can you have watched Minshew play this past season and in anyway consider that?

AR still has a lot to learn and he’ll have some rough games as all young QBs do. As ALL QBs do really…

I just want to see improvement from week 1 to week 18. 

On 2/7/2024 at 12:12 AM, Solid84 said:

How can you have watched Minshew play this past season and in anyway consider that?

AR still has a lot to learn and he’ll have some rough games as all young QBs do. As ALL QBs do really…

I just want to see improvement from week 1 to week 18. 

Because I haven’t seen enough of Richardson to have any confidence that he will be an elite quarterback. We know what we have in Minshew that’s true…he’s a game manager with moxy …..but he did help us win 9 games. Add another legit wr and who knows?

30 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Because I haven’t seen enough of Richardson to have any confidence that he will be an elite quarterback. We know what we have in Minshew that’s true…he’s a game manager with moxy …..but he did help us win 9 games. Add another legit wr and who knows?

What does adding another WR do when Minshew couldn't even get the ball to Pierce? We don't need another dink and dunk target. We need to stretch the field.

No we don't know what we have with AR which is why he needs to play. I know there are fans who don't want to wait for AR to develop, but that's what the Colts signed up for when they drafted him.

4 hours ago, Solid84 said:

What does adding another WR do when Minshew couldn't even get the ball to Pierce? We don't need another dink and dunk target. We need to stretch the field.

No we don't know what we have with AR which is why he needs to play. I know there are fans who don't want to wait for AR to develop, but that's what the Colts signed up for when they drafted him.

I just don’t want to waste four years waiting for him to develop and then end up drafting another quarterback later.  I hope he can put everyone’s mind at ease this upcoming season but I don’t understand why some already have so much faith he’s going to pan out.

• Like 1

I'm probably in the minority but Richardson is mature enough to negate a mentor type veteran QB. You can see it in how he carries himself. Keep Sam and draft a later round QB. For example, Tua's younger brother Talia was denied another year of college eligibility and will probably be a day 2 pick if not 3. If AR works out, develop Talia and trade him later.