Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sudden Death Cage Match: Colts vs. Texans *Saturday 8:15pm (MERGE)

RollerColt

Just now, richard pallo said:

French’s season long grade is 48.4.  That’s bad according to pff.  Average is 60.0.  So he’s below average at best.  He’s a big drop off from Kelly.  No sugarcoating here.  Losing Kelly is a big loss if it happens.

I am not a huge pff grade person. I don’t think you can grade accuracy when you don’t know what the actually scheme ect is. All I know is we have been fine and won games with French. I think you can get a lot out of the off analytics but the grades rarely fit the eye test.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There hasn’t been that much of a drop off. I don’t know what you have been watching. We have won games with him in there. 

I didn’t say they can’t win with him but the protection is not nearly as good when he’s in there and his PFF grade reflects this.  

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am not a huge pff grade person. I don’t think you can grade accuracy when you don’t know what the actually scheme ect is. All I know is we have been fine and won games with French. I think you can get a lot out of the off analytics but the grades rarely fit the eye test.

I'm not a huge PFF grades person either, but the eye test doesn't look good for French. Biggest problem is that he's not good calling the protections. One example is the Ravens game, when Minshew was getting destroyed by free rushers all game long. There's been a definite drop off from Kelly to French every time Kelly has been sidelined this year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I'm not a huge PFF grades person either, but the eye test doesn't look good for French. Biggest problem is that he's not good calling the protections. One example is the Ravens game, when Minshew was getting destroyed by free rushers all game long. There's been a definite drop off from Kelly to French every time Kelly has been sidelined this year.

Yeah I get the protection thing. I do remember struggling with that when he played.  Hopefully Kelly is just getting that foot rested. He finished last week so hopefully he will be ready. I can’t remember if smith played that ravens game or not. 

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yeah I get the protection thing. I do remember struggling with that when he played.  Hopefully Kelly is just getting that foot rested. He finished last week so hopefully he will be ready. I can’t remember if smith played that ravens game or not. 

All the usual starters played, except for Kelly. It was also Minshew's first game as a starter, when Richardson was sidelined with the concussion. So it's not all on French, but it does highlight a specific area where we missed Kelly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

All the usual starters played, except for Kelly. It was also Minshew's first game as a starter, when Richardson was sidelined with the concussion. So it's not all on French, but it does highlight a specific area where we missed Kelly.

Good point about it being minshews first start. All in all if Kelly misses I don’t think it will affect the game too much. 

Big difference from Game 2 vs. them was we faced Dameon Pierce, Singletary has been a game-changer for them in so many ways. They lose Dell, we get JT and Moss playing, this game is a toss up. This week is so stressful, enjoyable, can’t wait!!!!

• Like 1

I mean, let’s face it we won the game against the Browns, but a stupid flag was thrown late with no real contact. Of course the league apologized. So we go down to Atlanta and completely implode. If we won that game I win here would mean the division title in a home playoff game

Like I said, you have to take opportunities as they come to us.l Saturday is a prime example leave all the blood and sweat on the field hold back anything and just go out and win. 

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Really?  Seems like he has a harder time against zone coverages and excels in man coverage.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Wow I just looked at his stats and he has been much worse on the road. That might just be the teams they played on the road compared to at home. But something to watch

16 catches for 196 on road

55 catches for 906 at home

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Superman said:

Some of that has to be on Minshew.  A veteran QB is where the buck stops as it pertains to protections and the LOS reads.  There's a lot to it of course, and this is why it is common to have QBs with lesser experience levels relying on the line to make the calls.  For example when Richardson was in there they probably told him to not sweat the protections and rely on the pivot.

But Minshew has been around long enough to where I would expect him to oversee those calls.  And my guess is he was expected to oversee those calls by the staff so in those plays where they were poorly called I am sure he has received an earful during early week film review.

What I like about Minshew is he seems like he'll work to correct whatever was missed that led to all that.  And maybe he's been told to not sweat those calls.  I would just be surprised if that were to be true.

20 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Some of that has to be on Minshew.  A veteran QB is where the buck stops as it pertains to protections and the LOS reads.  There's a lot to it of course, and this is why it is common to have QBs with lesser experience levels relying on the line to make the calls.  For example when Richardson was in there they probably told him to not sweat the protections and rely on the pivot

regarding the Ravens game issues that you were responding to in this post, it was 100% on Minshew, and really gave me concerns going forward with him. Kyle Hamilton came off the edge for 3 sacks and hasn’t had a single one otherwise this year. It was like Minshew was totally oblivious to what was happening. I can understand once, but to continue to be unaware of a safety coming down and off the edge was remarkable to me for a veteran qb. 

I am happy we have him, and he’s undoubtedly a pro, and has proven to be a winner this season. His attitude is top notch and I think he’s the best leader we’ve had at qb since Rivers. But there are some things that make me scratch my head at from a vet, and reading defenses at the LOS and adjusting protection is one that has been hit and miss for him. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

You know what I want to find out, who was the bald headed guy with the helmet painted on his head that attended every Colts game at the RCA dome. He always brought the energy. They would always have him on TV. 

Either me or Fluke. We're both Bald and at every home game.:hat:

Biggest game of the entire year coming up! We absolutely best whoop those Texans…Gus better get his crap together and call his best game of the year…he’s been a letdown most of the year.

Steichen better be on his best game plan also, it’s a playoff game he better throw in some unique plays and learn to take advantage of things as they are working.

Im so excited for this game but I’m also terrified I’ll be completely let down.

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

regarding the Ravens game issues that you were responding to in this post, it was 100% on Minshew, and really gave me concerns going forward with him. Kyle Hamilton came off the edge for 3 sacks and hasn’t had a single one otherwise this year. It was like Minshew was totally oblivious to what was happening. I can understand once, but to continue to be unaware of a safety coming down and off the edge was remarkable to me for a veteran qb. 

I am happy we have him, and he’s undoubtedly a pro, and has proven to be a winner this season. His attitude is top notch and I think he’s the best leader we’ve had at qb since Rivers. But there are some things that make me scratch my head at from a vet, and reading defenses at the LOS and adjusting protection is one that has been hit and miss for him. 

He certainly doesn’t have the quick read of the defense of the likes of Manning, Rivers, Brees, Brady, etc…

If he read the defense quicker he would easily be a starter in this league. He just doesn’t adapt and progress like one would expect with experience. That said he has been a help to our team and I think we were lucky to have him this year despite those shortfalls.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I wonder if it’s communication issues due to playing in a loud and hostile environment. 

Could well be also could be he doesnt do well with jet lag and his legs stay tired, each person adapts a bit differently to not having their surroundings also. He struggles no matter the cause and significantly. Im sure our coaching staff has already picked up on that and will try and exploit it.

Betting odds took a pretty big swing toward the Texans in the last few hours. Went from -1 to plus 1 .

Spread: Texans (-1)

Moneyline: Texans (-120); Colts (+100)

Over/under: 47.5

Comparing team stats it looks like a reflection of each other. Watch for long bombs by Houston as a big part of their game plan but again one can say the Colts can do it as well. This is a major tossup. GET LOUD INDY FANS!!

17 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Yeah.  And all this stuff aside most DCs a QB will face are not in MacDonald's class.  He is rare in his aggression and flexibility and extremely effective at getting the most from what he has.  There's a lot of QBs who get bamboozled by his scheme.  Look at what he did to Purdy who has a top group of players around him.  Way they varied fronts and rushes vs SF those guys were completely baffled.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

Some of that has to be on Minshew.  A veteran QB is where the buck stops as it pertains to protections and the LOS reads.  There's a lot to it of course, and this is why it is common to have QBs with lesser experience levels relying on the line to make the calls.  For example when Richardson was in there they probably told him to not sweat the protections and rely on the pivot.

But Minshew has been around long enough to where I would expect him to oversee those calls.  And my guess is he was expected to oversee those calls by the staff so in those plays where they were poorly called I am sure he has received an earful during early week film review.

What I like about Minshew is he seems like he'll work to correct whatever was missed that led to all that.  And maybe he's been told to not sweat those calls.  I would just be surprised if that were to be true.

I think the plan all season was to have the center handle protections, which makes sense with a rookie QB. In that game, our starting center was out, and our rookie QB was out. It would make sense to think that the veteran QB would be more locked in on protections, but all indications are that French was calling the protections in that game. 

No matter who was technically responsible for the protections, I agree that some of it is the responsibility of the QB. There were plays where Minshew appeared to have no idea where the pressure was coming from, which is very concerning just from a QB standpoint. If we add the backup center element, it's even more concerning.

Thankfully, Ryan Kelly is practicing today, so maybe he's able to go on Saturday. 

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This was from right after the draft lol. Hadn’t stroud lost a big ten championship in LOS.

What's happening here?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

What's happening here?

Could you make out what he said? Got "if I went to the colts...." and mumbling after that."

1 minute ago, KB said:

Could you make out what he said? Got "if I went to the colts...." and mumbling after that."

Sounds like he said 'or some other weak city...' and that's all I got.

So I guess Colts fans are supposed to be mad at him for this. I personally don't care. But I wonder why this is being posted, what it's in response to, etc. Just seems like a bunch of nothing.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Sounds like he said 'or some other weak city...' and that's all I got.

So I guess Colts fans are supposed to be mad at him for this. I personally don't care. But I wonder why this is being posted, what it's in response to, etc. Just seems like a bunch of nothing.

Oh... well with our recent history of success as a team, and the quality of the city since the Super Bowl was hosted, I'd say he has a point. 

Yeah we would need to know what this is context for to know for sure. I'd say someone's just trying to get the feathers ruffled for a big rivalry game.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This was from right after the draft lol. Hadn’t stroud lost a big ten championship in LOS.

Nope.  Stroud never lost a B1G Championship game.

1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

.....part of the reason is that he didn't play in it last year...Michigan thumped him and the Buckeyes.

Not part of it...all of it...and for two years.  (I'm a Buckeye, we don't forget)