Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Pittman hit / Kazee suspended

hambone35

• csmopar changed the title to Hit on MPJ results in suspension
4 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I know we as fans have been hard on the officials but they got this one 100% right.  Hopefully the league follows up their actions Saturday with a suspension.

Looks like the league agreed about the launching.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-suspends-steelers-s-damontae-kazee-for-remainder-of-season-following-hit-on-

• Like 2

I saw that.  It was a cheap shot, by today’s rules.  

in no way am I defending or condoning his play, but it has to be hard to play D in todays game.  You’re moving so fast.  They always say that you need to play and not think (act, don’t react).  

I think as more kids grow up with the rules, and they’re coached properly, we’ll see less and less of those types of plays.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I saw that.  It was a cheap shot, by today’s rules.  

in no way am I defending or condoning his play, but it has to be hard to play D in todays game.  You’re moving so fast.  They always say that you need to play and not think (act, don’t react).  

I think as more kids grow up with the rules, and they’re coached properly, we’ll see less and less of those types of plays.  

It was the launch that got him. Not the speed . Launching into a defenseless receiver is gonna get you these days and rightfully so. I’d say the same thing if it was one of our guys that did that

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Just like Kareem Jackson. At least Kareem will now realize he isn't being singled out. 

Yep. Like I said, the launch and lowering of the head is what has gotten it for them. If you keep your feet on the ground and still hit him hard, I think he’d been fine.  But launch and lower your head, it’s ejectable

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

If Mike Mitchell is talking about the hit on Pittman, I don't want him coaching for the Colts anymore.

Whatever happened to using your hands and elbows to break up the ball, instead of going for the hit. Same with QBs, Mathis and Freeney made a living out of stripping the ball while so many pass rushers want to get the hit to jar the ball loose instead of going for the arms, or shoulder or the ball. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Whatever happened to using your hands and elbows to break up the ball, instead of going for the hit. Same with QBs, Mathis and Freeney made a living out of stripping the ball while so many pass rushers want to get the hit to jar the ball loose instead of going for the arms, or shoulder or the ball. 

He was too late to break up the ball, and he knew it, so he decided to punish the receiver. He had plenty of time to pull up, and tag the receiver down if necessary.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

If Mike Mitchell is talking about the hit on Pittman, I don't want him coaching for the Colts anymore.

If you cannot teach proper tackling technique and pass contest, you probably don't need to be coaching in the league... 

• Like 3

Just now, Superman said:

Some of these are tough on the defender, and I get it. This wasn't one of them.

Yep... If you are going to teach your guys that the only way to defend such a pass is to launch yourself head first into another player, then you are putting not just the other guy in danger but your own players too. 

• Like 2

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

He’s walking it back a little

He should delete it and clarify.

I understand being conflicted on some of these plays, there are plenty of them that are 50/50, and the league errs on the side of player safety. That can be frustrating for defensive players and coaches, and I get it.

In this case, a player on the team you coach for is endangered by a blatantly illegal hit, and you take the opportunity to express frustration with how illegal hits are officiated? Just a sucky thing to do in this circumstance. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yep... If you are going to teach your guys that the only way to defend such a pass is to launch yourself head first into another player, then you are putting not just the other guy in danger but your own players too. 

It's a super dangerous play for Kazee himself. Lowering your head and leading with the helmet, into an airborne player, is terrible technique all the way around. He also can't see what he's hitting. This shouldn't be hard to coach.

He should delete it and clarify.

I understand being conflicted on some of these plays, there are plenty of them that are 50/50, and the league errs on the side of player safety. That can be frustrating for defensive players and coaches, and I get it.

In this case, a player on the team you coach for is endangered by a blatantly illegal hit, and you take the opportunity to express frustration with how illegal hits are officiated? Just a sucky thing to do in this circumstance. 

Yeah not defending him.  I agree with you, if it were closer I could get it but this was as text book as you can get in terms of what the NFL wants out of the game.

• Like 1

Just now, FanFromtheWasteland said:

It was a blatant purposeful attempt to take out a player that was tearing them up. Abd they succeeded. I feel this is the typical Pittsburgh way. Seems that they have been doing this crap for years

Well they lost and the dude got tossed and is now suspended for the year so what short term victory they had didn’t last.

It's a super dangerous play for Kazee himself. Lowering your head and leading with the helmet, into an airborne player, is terrible technique all the way around. He also can't see what he's hitting. This shouldn't be hard to coach.

The more I'm thinking about it, the more * off I get at Mike Mitchell... what an absolutely horrible thing to say the day after your own WR1 got taken out by one of the dirtiest hits of the season. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

The more I'm thinking about it, the more * off I get at Mike Mitchell... what an absolutely horrible thing to say the day after your own WR1 got taken out by one of the dirtiest hits of the season. 

'Hey Pittman, I coach your teammates and I love you, but do you mind if I publicly defend the guy who tried to decapitate you in front of your family the other day?' 

Completely inappropriate.

• Like 4

• Superman changed the title to The Pittman hit / Kazee suspended
17 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Hard hitting used to be legal in football like those at kickoffs and why we watched the games much like hockey and auto racing. We love the wrecks as long as no one is seriously hurt.

Speaking for myself, I never watched football to see players get obliterated like this. And now that we have a better understanding of how dangerous these plays are -- immediately, and in the long term -- I react very differently to them.

I'm not a racing fan, but I've never heard anyone say they watch for the wrecks. Is that really a thing??

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Speaking for myself, I never watched football to see players get obliterated like this. And now that we have a better understanding of how dangerous these plays are -- immediately, and in the long term -- I react very differently to them.

I'm not a racing fan, but I've never heard anyone say they watch for the wrecks. Is that really a thing??

As a racing fan knowing the danger is there adds to my respect for the drivers but if you’ve ever been at a track when a serious crash happens you could hear a pin drop as people are praying the driver is okay.  No one enjoys it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

As a racing fan knowing the danger is there adds to my respect for the drivers but if you’ve ever been at a track when a serious crash happens you could hear a pin drop as people are praying the driver is okay.  No one enjoys it.

My dad and I was at the track in 82 when Gordon Smiley lost it in turn 3.  I will remember that visual for the rest of my life.   I was 9 at the time

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Hard hitting used to be legal in football like those at kickoffs and why we watched the games much like hockey and auto racing. We love the wrecks as long as no one is seriously hurt.

I've been a racing fan since birth.   My dad and i were at carb day,  qualifications and the race every year.   No,  we don't love the wrecks.  

• Like 1