Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AFC South and AFC Playoff picture/ Remaining Schedules (MERGE) Updated OP + on page 61 - post week 17. AFC Clinching Scenarios page 61

w87r

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

#24 in sacks also.

Yeah they are good on yardage and points but not at getting sacks and turnovers.

If Gus Bradley can keep from getting burned by a rushing QB, that Ridder is, then we could win, running away with the game early because Ridder can't throw himself back into a game with them being bottom 10 in passing yards, if they get behind 2 scores, IMO. That plays into our hands.

They will try to keep the game close and the score close with their rushing game and pass D, that are their strengths. We have to expose their run D and pass O more. Lots of screens and short passes from them is to be expected.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Do jags still have a wildcard if they lose next week and colts  win?

They would  have a  better conference record as that would be an NFC loss. So they should be good as long as there is a tie. Change they fall out completely if all other 8-6 teams win though

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Dolphins only have to lose one more and bills go 2-0 and that last game is got the division. Dolphins would be a wildcard at 6 losses which would really hurt the colts and not give them any room for error.

If things finish how they are now we would face the dolphins but if we win division  we would probably  face the browns

5 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

That Colts vs Browns game looking pretty big every week. 

Agreed

But

We just need to win the last 3 games against teams that we SHOULD beat

11 wins gives us a spot, no matter what happened in the past

The one head scratcher is the Raiders

They clobbered the Chargers and scored 63

BUT......  the 6 games prior, they averaged just 14 points per game

Which Raider team are we going to face?  The 63 point offense or the 14 point offense?

We can beat the Texans and the Falcons

As well the Raiders

I don't see this team matching firepower of the Dolphins, so I hope we get Jags, Bengals, or Browns first in playoffs

10 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Agreed

But

Which Raider team are we going to face?  The 63 point offense or the 14 point offense?

As well the Raiders

I don't see this team matching firepower of the Dolphins, so I hope we get Jags, Bengals, or Browns first in playoffs

what defense and coaching staff are they going to face? A chargers team that quit or a Colts defense that will likely be the franchise setting sack record in Indy, winners of 6 of 7 games and two wins away from potentially a division title? 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Stephen said:

If things finish how they are now we would face the dolphins but if we win division  we would probably  face the browns

If we win the division by winning out at 11-6, and The Jags are 10-7, and The Bills win their division at 11-6, same record as us, we are the #3 seed since the Bills have already lost 5 in the AFC and we, only 4. It works better for us in that situation if the Bills win out and win the division.

So, root for the Bills, Browns and Bucs the rest of the way because of

1. Possibly #3 seed if Bills win out

2. Browns taking out Texans and Bengals along the way 

3. Bucs beating the Jaguars and helping our division chances and strength of victory (since we beat them) should it come to that tiebreaker 

Bills, Browns, Bucs - BBB should be in our heads and hearts :) 

M

32 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Agreed

But

As well the Raiders

it’s pretty exciting that we are even talking about a division title this season. Or double digit wins being in our grasp. It would feel great to have the division crown again, and if we do, I’d consider this season a success. We win the division, next seasons schedule will get more difficult. Hopefully Shane is still good in year 2 after teams have tape on him. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Agreed

But

As well the Raiders

Dolphins are feast or famine - every time they play a legit team, they fold.

They come off a 70 pointer at home vs Broncos, they get clobbered 20-48 on the road vs Bills early in the season. Then, lose to an offensively deficient Chiefs team in Germany. Yes, when both Achane in the running game AND Tyreek Hill in the passing game are both healthy, that is when they can be dangerous. We will find out the next few games. Mike McDaniels goes away from the run sometimes and gets pass happy and that gets them into trouble against elite teams with elite pass Ds like the Ravens, Bills and Chiefs.

Raiders - don't worry about them, Aidan O' Connell doesn't create much off script and it will be very much like the Bucs game that we can win with a solid game plan and we get the tougher 2 of the last 3, Raiders and Texans games both at home. 

The thing with Steichen is he adapts to what the other team is doing, once he sees what they are doing on the field. So having tape on his tendencies helps only a little, that is why I love him so far.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Dolphins are feast or famine - every time they play a legit team, they fold.

They come off a 70 pointer at home vs Broncos, they get clobbered 20-48 on the road vs Bills early in the season. Then, lose to an offensively deficient Chiefs team in Germany. Yes, when both Achane in the running game AND Tyreek Hill in the passing game are both healthy, that is when they can be dangerous. We will find out the next few games. Mike McDaniels goes away from the run sometimes and gets pass happy and that gets them into trouble against elite teams with elite pass Ds like the Ravens, Bills and Chiefs.

Raiders - don't worry about them, Aidan O' Connell doesn't create much off script and it will be very much like the Bucs game that we can win with a solid game plan and we get the tougher 2 of the last 3, Raiders and Texans games both at home. 

The thing with Steichen is he adapts to what the other team is doing, once he sees what they are doing on the field. So having tape on his tendencies helps only a little, that is why I love him so far.

Aidan O’Connell is probably the best pure pocket passer we have left on the table. By pocket passer I mean Matt Ryan style QB, statue. No he doesn’t create much with his legs off script but against our D and the 5-10 yard cushions we give WRs , he could very well pick us apart. 

• Like 1

To have any shot, Colts have to beat Houston, and for AFC tie breakers, they need to also beat the Raiders.  Colts should win vs Atlanta, really, they should, so basically, we are realistically looking at closing out with three wins, which puts us in the playoffs.  Do that and have Jags lose to Tampa, then the Colts win the division!

As I see it, for the Colts to legitimately belong in the playoffs, nothing short of winning their three remaking games is acceptable.  If they can’t win all three, then they just don’t belong in the playoff dance.

Fingers crossed.  Go Colts!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can see it too. We may actually win the AFC South after a 3-5 start and getting swept by them. Unbelievable. 

That is why I HATED that the last 2 years, 4 or 5 of our 6 division games were over by the month of October. They need to schedule half of them in mid November to December, IMO.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

That is why I HATED that the last 2 years, 4 or 5 of our 6 division games were over by the month of October. They need to schedule half of them in mid November to December, IMO.

Yeah, our games against the Jags were too close together. If we played them now, I would give us a 50% chance of beating them. We are playing better is why.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

To have any shot, Colts have to beat Houston, and for AFC tie breakers, they need to also beat the Raiders.  Colts should win vs Atlanta, really, they should, so basically, we are realistically looking at closing out with three wins, which puts us in the playoffs.  Do that and have Jags lose to Tampa, then the Colts win the division!

As I see it, for the Colts to legitimately belong in the playoffs, nothing short of winning their three remaking games is acceptable.  If they can’t win all three, then they just don’t belong in the playoff dance.

That would be ideal. Winning out won't be easy because all it takes is 1 bad game. In reality a 10-7 season should get anyone in, that is a good season, but the AFC is so deep who knows?

8 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

The Colts legitimately belong in the playoffs just as much as all of the other 8-6 teams.  Some of those teams need help to get in others can control their own destiny.  But they are all good playoff teams in their own right.  Not all are going to make it.  Injuries and remaining schedule will determine a lot not to mention refereeing.  Making it in will not be easy for any of them.  I hope we find a way though.  We have our obstacles for sure.  But hopefully we get by them.  Even if it means winning two games to get in.  Still legitimate in my eyes.

13 minutes ago, CR91 said:

T-Law in concussion protocols. I hate seeing players get hurt, but this is the colts best chance to leapfrog them. Bucs have been getting better. Hopefully they can steal a win. I can't see the Panthers or Titans beating them

Yeah, this is the week for the Jaguars to lose 1 more and everything will be in our hands. The penultimate game will be vs the Raiders, just like the Reich/Wentz 2021 season. THAT is when Steichen can earn his accolades. Still, our playoff fate is still in our hands.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He will probably play.

It’s weird how the Colts players seem to NEVER get cleared or played. But most other teams seem to. 

I don’t know if our independent neurologists are stricter, our players are more honest/cautious with symptoms, etc

• Like 1

Colts Playoff Chances pending final 3 games (other results will alter these percentages):

-3-0 finish: 99%

-2-1 (beat Falcons, Raiders): 54%

-2-1 (beat Falcons, Texans): 87%

-2-1 (beat Raiders, Texans): 94%

That is how crucial that final Texans game is, it dramatically alters the percentages. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

They should go 2-1 yes. 3-0 would put us at 8-1 in a nine game stretch. I think we can do it. That’s impressive as heck for any team no matter the opponent. 

Imagine starting 8-1. Even at 7-2. We’d be the talk of the league. It just happens to be at the back half of the schedule,  so it doesn’t get talked about. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Colts Playoff Chances pending final 3 games (other results will alter these percentages):

-3-0 finish: 99%

-2-1 (beat Falcons, Raiders): 54%

-2-1 (beat Falcons, Texans): 87%

-2-1 (beat Raiders, Texans): 94%

That is how crucial that final Texans game is, it dramatically alters the percentages. 

How is 3-0 only 99%. Should be 100%. What’s the 1% scenerio they don’t make it going 3-0.

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Can’t wait to see Colts as the 4th seed after this weekend.

Bengals play Saturday. Jags at 4 Sunday. 

If Stroud plays, the Texans can actually beat the Browns, hate to say that but it is true.

• Like 1

Just now, chad72 said:

If Stroud plays, the Texans can actually beat the Browns, hate to say that but it is true.

They still have a lot of injuries. Tunsil left the game yesterday. So if he misses garret could have a field day. All colts have to do if best falcons and have jags lose. Texans don’t matter Sunday. At least not yet.

My big question what if jags collapse and that Texans colts game is for division. Who would own the tie breaker with splitting the 2 games if Texans beat colts:

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They still have a lot of injuries. Tunsil left the game yesterday. So if he misses garret could have a field day. All colts have to do if best falcons and have jags lose. Texans don’t matter Sunday. At least not yet.

My big question what if jags collapse and that Texans colts game is for division. Who would own the tie breaker with splitting the 2 games if Texans beat colts:

Depends on how much the Jaguars collapse. If they lose only 1, then Jaguars, Texans and Colts are all tied at 10-7 and we lose the division and possibly a strength of victory tie-breaker if the Texans beat the Browns too?? We HAVE TO win out.