Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have a chance

John Hammonds

I swore to myself that all I'd care about this season would be Anthony Richardson's development yet here I am in this thread nodding my head. 

Ultimately I can't get over how bad Gardner Minshew is. He's a guy for the occasional fill-in not a main star. So while we have a chance, I think we're probably a .500 team +/- one game because of the QB, and that record's not going to get us in the playoffs in the AFC this year. So while I'm following along and loving the work Shane Steichen is doing, I just can't bring myself to dream playoff, have you not seen the QB?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, csmopar said:

They’ve never said officially but it ranges from 6 to 18 weeks for “normal” people according to Dr Google

That's a big spread.  It would be cool for him to come back in time if we made the playoffs.  Both of those things are far fetched though.

26 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I swore to myself that all I'd care about this season would be Anthony Richardson's development yet here I am in this thread nodding my head. 

Ultimately I can't get over how bad Gardner Minshew is. He's a guy for the occasional fill-in not a main star. So while we have a chance, I think we're probably a .500 team +/- one game because of the QB, and that record's not going to get us in the playoffs in the AFC this year. So while I'm following along and loving the work Shane Steichen is doing, I just can't bring myself to dream playoff, have you not seen the QB?

i mean hes a back up QB for a reason. what do you expect? Hes also not that bad as you are saying. Hes been pretty decent and hes been bad some games. Hes a back up for a reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tweezy32 said:

yes im comparing a overrated wr to Thielen. Dude has had 1 good game all year and you literally saying hes like an Aj brown against kenny.. At least thielen has showed up for games and produces. Deebo is not good and is like the 4th best receiver on his team behind Kittle CMC and Aiyuk. 

He changes game plans completely. 49ers record with and without Deebo in the line up says it all. But believe what you want to believe.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I think now Minchew is afraid to make a mistake now and it’s hurting our offense big time. I think he just needs go out and play his game and let the chips fall where they may. The o- line just needs to play better and that would help a lot with the strip fumbles from happening.  He moves around so much in the pocket so much he’s afraid of the strip fumble. I say just play your game it’s the ultimate team game. 

5 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

I think now Minchew is afraid to make a mistake now and it’s hurting our offense big time. I think he just needs go out and play his game and let the chips fall where they may. The o- line just needs to play better and that would help a lot with the strip fumbles from happening.  He moves around so much in the pocket so much he’s afraid of the strip fumble. I say just play your game it’s the ultimate team game. 

This is exactly what Kevin Bowen and Stephen Holder said. Scar tissue from all the fumbles and int. Hopefully he can gain some confidence over these next to weeks. Kevin Bowen was hillarious and said he should go smoke some weed and relax. 

6 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

The Oline is giving Minshew over 3 seconds to throw. It’s not the Oline.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Playing 50% ball and in the running for the playoffs is like those sports that hand out participation trophies. I guess mediocrity has its place even in pro football.

Perhaps but a majority of all the AFC is .500 teams right now. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

It's not the Oline. Minshew's time to throw was 3.42 against the Pats. The league average is: 2.77. Minshew had plenty of time he was just seeing ghosts and bailed out of clean pockets.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

It's not the Oline. Minshew's time to throw was 3.42 against the Pats. The league average is: 2.77. Minshew had plenty of time he was just seeing ghosts and bailed out of clean pockets.

I agree with you actually Minschew got to know that for himself and it’ll help his game and our offense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

The fact is, technically we are not out of the running for the playoffs. Do I think we will get there, no. But could we, maybe. Then it’s anyone’s guess what happens

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts need jags to win the division. They don’t need jags sliding into a wildcard with them already beating colts twice.

Unless the bottom completely falls out of the Jags, and we win more than they do, then the tie breakers don’t matter

31 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

The issue is Minshew and his recent fumble history vs the Browns and Jaguars has scared him enough that he doesn't trust himself and by virtue of it, the OL too, because he can't differentiate when the contact is happening because his OL is just being pushed into him slightly or the DL is coming hard at him to take any chances.

However, he should be playing as long as he can with the clean pocket and if he goes down for a false contact from his own OL, so be it, just don't see ghosts to assume contact is coming when there is none. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sb41champs said:

SERIOUSLY - did ANY OF YOU think that at our bye week break we would be tied with the Buffalo Bills record?

Didn't think so.

MORE SERIOUSLY - the majority of the games still left on our schedule are both winnable - BUT - loseable.

The Colts team has been highly inconsistent this season - for various reasons.

Houston is "rocketing" at this point.

The Jaguars are ?? at this point.

I still feel both teams have a FAR FAR better chance to represent the AFC South in the playoffs.

MOST SERIOUSLY - I would rather the team earn a higher draft pick - than a playoff spot.

As Chris Berman would say, “that’s why ya play the game!”

This parity is crazy this year. 

1 hour ago, tweezy32 said:

i mean hes a back up QB for a reason. what do you expect? Hes also not that bad as you are saying. Hes been pretty decent and hes been bad some games. Hes a back up for a reason.

He's bad enough for fans to start remembering the other backup from UT. He was good enough till the word got out on him, teams are daring him to do work and with receivers open everywhere, yet the guy's jitterbugging left and right. You can't ignore what your eyes see. And yes, I mentioned he's a backup for a reason. That reason's also why I think dreaming playoffs is a big dream for me...yet not impossible.

Yeah. Minshew is definitely the wildcard in all of this. If he plays good enough and is able to limit his turnovers and stay out of the way we win most of the rest of our games. 

I think we might be 5-0 when we win the turnover battle and therefore 0-5 when we lose it. 

I know, I know, thanks Captain Obvious… but some teams can overcome those turnovers and still do enough to win games. We at the moment can’t. If we down a score and need Gardner to drive down the field and win… well… yeah…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Playing 50% ball and in the running for the playoffs is like those sports that hand out participation trophies. I guess mediocrity has its place even in pro football.

That’s what happens when you add an extra 7th team to the playoffs. Suddenly everyone is playing for something in November and December. I kind of like it because it means fewer meaningless games as the season goes on. 

14 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

That’s what happens when you add an extra 7th team to the playoffs. Suddenly everyone is playing for something in November and December. I kind of like it because it means fewer meaningless games as the season goes on. 

All Patriots fans would probably hate the fact that the No.2 seed doesn't get a bye week. Tom Brady and the Patriots won twice, in 2001 and 2004 (both vs Steelers in AFCCG) after enjoying a bye week as a No.2 seed. That increased the chances for a team to get to the SB and win it, IMO, having to win only 2 games to get to the SB.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I know, I know.  I don't like making these kind of prognostications.  Especially when we're not playing that well, and we weren't supposed to win that much this year anyway.

HOWEVER

Bengals are 5-4, and 5 of their final 7 games are against playoff teams (@ BAL, vs PIT, @ PIT, @ KC, vs CLE)

Bills are 5-5, and 4 of their final 7 games are against playoff teams (@ PHI, @ KC, vs DAL, @ MIA) 

Raiders are 5-5, and 3 of their final 7 games are against playoff teams (@ MIA, vs KC, @ KC)

Houston is 5-4, only 2 of their final 8 games are against playoff teams (vs JAX, vs CLE), and they're both at home.  But we own the tie breaker with them, for the moment.

It could come down to week 17, against Houston, for all the marbles.

*crossing fingers*

FWIW:   

ESPN analytics peg the Colts chances at making the playoffs at….    24%. 

Again, this is not the opinion of one writer, this is the result of their analytics.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

FWIW:   

Again, this is not the opinion of one writer, this is the result of their analytics.  

Seems about right. 

Their schedule is not overly daunting but neither are the Colts.  No one sees the Colts on their schedule and immediately goes into a fetal position. 

They will probably sneak a win against someone they are underdogs against and lose one or two that was penciled as a win. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

FWIW:   

A lot of things will need to go right. 

I just can’t see us beating the Steelers, unless our defense scores 3 times. Minshew won’t be moving the sticks much against them. 

• Like 2

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

With everything that  has happened this year all we can ask for is a chance and we have that.  It will all go out the window if we lose to Bucs or Titans though.

True. I was not expecting us to win against the Patriots and Ravens heading into the season. 

• Like 1

Just now, RollerColt said:

A lot of things will need to go right. 

I just can’t see us beating the Steelers, unless our defense scores 3 times. Minshew won’t be moving the sticks much against them. 

The thing with Steelers is it will be a low scoring game because their offense is bad. So that will give them a better chance to win.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

i like him moving in the pocket so our receivers can get open, reminds me of fran tarkington

7 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

It was shocking how terrible the Bucs defense played in their game. The Houston receivers, were running so wide open, throughout the game, that it seemed all Stroud had to do, was simply throw a straight pass, for a big completion. Time after time his wrs ran basically uncovered.

The following week, those same Bucs nearly shut out the Titans.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IinD said:

I'm always down for the colts being in the playoffs. I don't care if they get in at 6-11.

Go Colts.

I'd love to win the division with how our QB situation went down this year.

Yep. I either want to make the playoffs or have a top 5 pick. That's just the way I am. Would love if the Colts got in the playoffs and gave themselves a chance at the Super Bowl.

• Like 1