Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Patriots post game reaction

GoColts8818

4 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

I wouldn't say that until Stroud wins the division & a playoff game like Lawrence did last season, and when he's on the field and able to play, AR is special - a linebacker's size with a rocket arm and sprinter's speed.

Gotta give Stroud credit for playing well but QB isn't a one year deal.  It's a long grind and I don't know that he's going to hold up well in that regard.  That was my concern with him.  He's excellent with simplified reads and has elite arm talent but how will he develop year to year and does he have that drive.

Slowik might get a HC gig as well.  Teams aggressively poach good OCs and he's doing a fine job.  So for me I'll tip the cap to Houston for selecting a QB with appropriate talent for the draft spot, and for setting the kid QB up for success year one.  But there's a long way to go for him.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Gotta give Stroud credit for playing well but QB isn't a one year deal.  It's a long grind and I don't know that he's going to hold up well in that regard.  That was my concern with him.  He's excellent with simplified reads and has elite arm talent but how will he develop year to year and does he have that drive.

Slowik might get a HC gig as well.  Teams aggressively poach good OCs and he's doing a fine job.  So for me I'll tip the cap to Houston for selecting a QB with appropriate talent for the draft spot, and for setting the kid QB up for success year one.  But there's a long way to go for him.

Here is the thing. Bengals' DC underestimated Stroud, it felt like.

Mahomes, they have seen enough of him to know how he moves around, keeps plays alive but for a pass. Stroud did the same thing but they did not play him the same way they played Mahomes because the rookie had to earn that respect and boy he did. The next time, expect them to play pass more often, see if Stroud stays patient with the run and if he starts using his legs, they will even have a LB spy on him like they do with Mahomes. They will stop playing zone, double their best pass catcher (Kelce for Chiefs) and play man on the rest. That is how the Bengals have beaten Mahomes. 

A similar approach will be used next time they run into him. NFL DCs adapt, so Stroud will have to, as well eventually.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree 100%, we got 1 call = the non-hold. They got away with a lot all game as a well. The Ravens also had a chance to win it in regulation with arguably the best K of all-time and missed. That game and the Browns game is not close. Browns were given the game, if anyone can't see that, I don't know what to tell them. We got a break but nothing like the Browns got.

So now we are debating the degree of breaks each team got in the Ravens and Browns game. Just  easier to say it evened out, which is my entire point. The Colts are right where they should be record wise.

They lost one they probably should have won. 

They won one they probably should have lost. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Here is the thing. Bengals' DC underestimated Stroud, it felt like.

Mahomes, they have seen enough of him to know how he moves around, keeps plays alive but for a pass. Stroud did the same thing but they did not play him the same way they played Mahomes because the rookie had to earn that respect and boy he did. The next time, expect them to play pass more often, see if Stroud stays patient with the run and if he starts using his legs, they will even have a LB spy on him like they do with Mahomes. They will stop playing zone, double their best pass catcher (Kelce for Chiefs) and play man on the rest. That is how the Bengals have beaten Mahomes. 

A similar approach will be used next time they run into him. NFL DCs adapt, so Stroud will have to, as well eventually.

To your first point - Stroud was underestimated. How do you know that?  Did he say that or is that just your own thought?

3 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

To your first point - Stroud was underestimated. How do you know that?  Did he say that or is that just your own thought?

My own thought. They didn't think he would be that good this soon, and not since 1991 have the Bengals given up a 150 yard rusher and a 170 yard catcher the same game, never under Lou Anurumo. IMO, I would chalk it to the D testing him out to see if he can prove a few things and he exceeded expectations on everything they threw at him. 

I can almost bet the second time around, Stroud will be played differently by the Bengals DC and D.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

My own thought. They didn't think he would be that good this soon, and not since 1991 have the Bengals given up a 150 yard rusher and a 170 yard catcher the same game, never under Lou Anurumo. IMO, I would chalk it to the D testing him out to see if he can prove a few things and he exceeded expectations on everything they threw at him. 

I can almost bet the second time around, Stroud will be played differently by the Bengals DC and D.

Of course he will be played differently the next time around but that does not mean he was underestimated the first time. No chance that was the case. Stroud is playing at an all time rookie level and threw for damn near 500 yards last week. You think the Bengals looked at that and said “he’s not all that.”

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

So now we are debating the degree of breaks each team got in the Ravens and Browns game. Just  easier to say it evened out, which is my entire point. The Colts are right where they should be record wise.

They lost one they probably should have won. 

They won one they probably should have lost. 

Not sure how you could possibly say that. The colts got the game sealing turnover. Game over. I mean it’s already been confirmed by the NFL. 

Ravens still had to play and make plays. No confirmation of a missed call in this game either. 

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

He will be back for the Bengals game, right? I wish he were available vs Henry and the Titans on the road but we might be able to win without him against the Titans.

Tenn o-line is a mess right now, I don’t know if it will improve by then, hope it doesn’t!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE COLTS on bringing home a "W"!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE COLTS on eliminating penalty calls!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO GARDNER MINSHEW for protecting the ball this week - against a Bill Belichick defense!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE COLTS on beating Bill Belichick and his team!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE COLTS DEFENSE for being the impetus for the win for the second week in a row!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE COLTS SPECIAL TEAMS for living up to their moniker!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IndySouthsider said:

Not sure how you could possibly say that. The colts got the game sealing turnover. Game over. I mean it’s already been confirmed by the NFL. 

Ravens still had to play and make plays. No confirmation of a missed call in this game either. 

Again - degree of the break for and against. 

Simple concept - the Colts’ record is exactly what it should be. They got some breaks and had breaks go against. 

2 hours ago, sb41champs said:

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE COLTS on bringing home a "W"!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE COLTS on eliminating penalty calls!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO GARDNER MINSHEW for protecting the ball this week - against a Bill Belichick defense!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE COLTS on beating Bill Belichick and his team!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE COLTS DEFENSE for being the impetus for the win for the second week in a row!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE COLTS SPECIAL TEAMS for living up to their moniker!!

Thanks for the positive post.

I think it's kinda funny that we're complaining about how poorly we performed in our two victories.

However, I think we need to remember where we were two weeks ago:  We'd just lost 3 straight.  The last two being 30-something to 30-something.  We were certain that Minshew would cough up the ball every time a defender even breathed on him.  We were so deep into our defensive backs due to injury that we would have gladly taken anyone from the stands who had played corner in high school.  You last played in Pop Warner?  Good enough!  You're starting.

And at the time, we crossed our fingers and hoped -- if we could only just win the next two games against bad teams, by hook or by crook, then we could go into the bye week at 5-5, and get our injured players back.

Well....  we did do that!  No, we didn't look good doing it.  But we did it.

And if we can get our injured players back, we have a chance -- a chance mind you -- to make some noise the rest of the season.  I'm not that hopeful we make the playoffs.  I figure we would have to win 5 out of the final 7 games to do that.  Ehhhhh...   I don't think so.  But we can make some noise.

I hope to make some noise!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

But Ballard neglected the OL…

He did, with Eric Fisher at LT in 2021 and having Pryor playing LT amidst that Russian roulette before Jeff Saturday put Raimann in there to learn with baptism by fire. 

Both can be right, the GM neglecting a particular position “briefly” before correcting it.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 7:48 PM, Happy2BeHere said:

Was not the best game we played but we won and that’s the only result that matters.

Hats off to Pierce on the one really good catch he had (all season) this game lol..

Josh downs is a player and I am really happy he is a part of the team.

Lots to look forward to with this team despite losing our QB so early in the season.

You are blind and ... less than truthful regarding Pierce.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Well, the Colts paid JT. I think there's pressure to play him over Moss now.

Plus JT could have been getting his legs under him in game shape too. He was in good fitness shape, but football shape is a different thing, getting used to hits and let us not forget this is a new OL coach and JT needed to get used to the OL too. Moss had a head start on him there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Pressure from above wanting to lose? 

No. I think it’s the more the we paid him so use him approach

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

You are blind and ... less than truthful regarding Pierce.

How was he “less than truthful”

10 hours ago, King Colt said:

Not sure I understand the almost disappearance of Zack Moss.

I do.  You play your playmakers as much as you can to try and win a game.  That’s simple strategy for me.  JT is one and Moss is not.  Nothing against Moss.  He’s a good player.  Glad we have him.  But I want JT out there as much as possible.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I do.  You play your playmakers as much as you can to try and win a game.  That’s simple strategy for me.  JT is one and Moss is not.  Nothing against Moss.  He’s a good player.  Glad we have him.  But I want JT out there as much as possible.

JT:

85 carries for 323 yards. 3.8 ypc. 2 TDs. 
16 receptions for 137 yards. 8.6 ypc. 1 TD. 

Moss:

133 carries for 617 yards. 4.6 ypc. 5 TDs. 
16 receptions for 123 yards. 7.7 ypc. 1 TD. 

Moss has had 8 carries total the last 2 games and he’s still top 5 in rushing. 

Moss has been proving my point all season - you don’t need to pay top dollar for a RB. 

Not saying he’s better than JT. JT still has to get up to speed, but he needs to start producing A LOT better than he has for this contract not to be a joke. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

JT:

85 carries for 323 yards. 3.8 ypc. 2 TDs. 
16 receptions for 137 yards. 8.6 ypc. 1 TD. 

Moss:

133 carries for 617 yards. 4.6 ypc. 5 TDs. 
16 receptions for 123 yards. 7.7 ypc. 1 TD. 

Moss has had 8 carries total the last 2 games and he’s still top 5 in rushing. 

Moss has been proving my point all season - you don’t need to pay top dollar for a RB. 

Not saying he’s better than JT. JT still has to get up to speed, but he needs to start producing A LOT better than he has for this contract not to be a joke. 

Yeah, paying LBs and RBs is something Polian never felt highly about, we all know that. 

For crying out loud, we had to let Edge go and draft Addai. Thornton, Washington etc., all the LBs we let go but as long as the impact positions were sound (pass rushers, WRs, QB, LT), we were golden. Man, Polian should have been GM in this passing era, all the things he valued is what wins in the current NFL. :) 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, paying LBs and RBs is something Polian never felt highly about, we all know that. 

For crying out loud, we had to let Edge go and draft Addai. Thornton, Washington etc., all the LBs we let go but as long as the impact positions were sound (pass rushers, WRs, QB, LT), we were golden. Man, Polian should have been GM in this passing era, all the things he valued is what wins in the current NFL. :) 

I sometimes wish Ballard would be more cynical about this. 

Did we hit on a non-premium position? Fine, trade them for picks and use those picks to fish for premium position players. Repeat until all premium positions are filled with great players. 

• Like 2