Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade Deadline (MERGE)

sb41champs

Trade Deadline?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Colts Trade FOR a Player Before the Trade Deadline?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will the Colts TRADE a Player Away Before the Trade Deadline?

• Yes
    • No

6 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

That is a good take on the situation. In the end - players want to get paid and they want to win.

I believe if Richardson works out, it will assist in attracting players to Indy. The Franchise has been stuck in QB purgatory for quite some time now, and creates a big overpay scenario to sign other players.

That being said, we never really brought anyone in from the outside when were we one of the winningest franchises with a HoF QB or with Luck. 

You need a certain type of a personality to stay in Indy. Ballard has put an emphasis on that.

I'd certainly take less money to live in either of the coasts than Indiana as a professional athlete.

As they say in property.

Location location location!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, r a y s k i said:

That being said, we never really brought anyone in from the outside when were we one of the winningest franchises with a HoF QB or with Luck. 

You need a certain type of a personality to stay in Indy. Ballard has put an emphasis on that.

I'd certainly take less money to live in either of the coasts than Indiana as a professional athlete.

As they say in property.

You think Indy is more expensive than the coasts?  Seems off to me.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I didn't expect to buy, but I thought we'd sell being 3-5 seeing how Ballard likes his draft picks. Standing pat is the ultimate cowards move. 

I think you’re off your rocker again. Seeing how low the returns on all the trades today were, standing pat is exactly why Ballard is a paid GM and we’re not

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, r a y s k i said:

As they say in property.

You would take even less money to live in California?

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think you’re off your rocker again. Seeing how low the returns on all the trades today were, standing pat is exactly why Ballard is a paid GM and we’re not

Yes.  That’s  because it’s understood that trades made at this point are generally for the next 9 games only.  So the draft picks given are low.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Not going after a survivable corner might mean a couple things. Colts are in full evaluation mode and want to evaluate every inch of this roster. Including all the corners. Also might mean Brent’s isn’t going to be out long. Maybe he is back after the bye week.

Could just mean Ballard knows Gus is leaving and no point in wasting draft picks for 9 games for CBs that may not fit the next system

30 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes.  That’s  because it’s understood that trades made at this point are generally for the next 9 games only.  So the draft picks given are low.   

And also the large contract extension that almost always happens with these trades.   

2 hours ago, r a y s k i said:

Colts fans need to understand that Indianapolis isn't a destination for pro athletes. It is what it is. Once in a blue moon we can land someone like Buckner who wants to be here but thats about it. It really just isn't and never was a sexy destination for athletes, simple as that. Most should know this by now since its a historical issue.

Justin Houston

Stephon Gilmore

Winningest team in NFL History over a 10 year period with at least 3 Hall of Famer's.

Luck could have attracted top talent and Irsay and Ballard would have done it if we were ready. IMO Frank and Ballard failed as a team.

It is yet to be seen if Steichen can win with Ballard. 

I'm was good either way 

I can see the sell argument, and I can see the buy argument.

I also see the argument of not making a bad trade just to make a trade. We weren't buying high on anyone and we weren't selling low on anyone either.

If an amicable deal came up I am sure we would of made the deal.

As has been posted, this is an evaluation year. So we need to exhaust all current options to see what they have.

I know we could use multiple CBs, but I am fine with Jones learning on the job the rest of the season. Moore is good, we have nickel depth, so need to get another outside CB and hopefully get Brents back. If not need to get 2 outside CB's. Maybe Speed or Hall can help out. Can't play Baker(needs cut), and Brown can't play outside anymore. Baker is ranked worst CB, Brown has lower grade(not enough snaps to qualify for rank)

Moss was a tough one. I actually wanted to move him, for him, so he could hopefully continue his breakout season without having to share the load or end up on the low side of the tandem in touches(which is likely). It does make sense to let him take some of the load from JT this year. Hopefully we can bring him back to back up next year. Think there's a chance, albeit a small one 

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Justin Houston

Stephon Gilmore

Winningest team in NFL History over a 10 year period with at least 3 Hall of Famer's.

Luck could have attracted top talent and Irsay and Ballard would have done it if we were ready. IMO Frank and Ballard failed as a team.

It is yet to be seen if Steichen can win with Ballard. 

Come on, yes, Frank Gore and Andre Johnson too.

None of these were in their primes or were coveted high profile athletes at the time. These were hand me downs, coming to play in the twilight of their career.

Maybe Gilmore because he might have thought we can win with Ryan but again, he got traded for a 5th for a reason. 

50 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Then why can't we go against the grain and buy a CB? The returns are low on players, so lets take advantage of it and buy rather than sell. If Ballard is a smart, paid GM, he should know this and take advantage of it since it's cheaper now to save draft capital.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Then why can't we go against the grain and buy a CB? The returns are low on players, so let’s take advantage of it and buy rather than sell. If Ballard is a smart, paid GM, he should know this and take advantage of it since it's cheaper now to save draft capital.

What CB was available 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

One thing I don't get is teams that do what the Commanders did, trading good players like Sweat and Young for low draft picks. To me it just looks like a lose-lose situation, you lose a starter and you get a draft pick that you'll get a player that may be a rotational player. Its hard to become a better team if you don't keep your good players.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Rasul Douglas. There was a trade, Douglas and a 5th for a 3rd. We had a higher 3rd than the Bills. Ballard could have gotten the deal done for the same price.

Ok.  But how do you know we didn’t inquire or make an offer

• Like 2

Just now, csmopar said:

Ok.  But how do you know we didn’t inquire or make an offer

If we would have made the same offer, then the Packers would have done it because every GM knows the Bills are a better team than the Colts. If Ballard made an offer, then he made a lower offer. I guarantee 100% if Ballard was interested in Douglas, the Packers would have told him the Bills offer, and all he would have had to do is match it because our 3rd will be higher than theirs. 

So either Ballard low-balled an offer, wasn't interested, or refused to match the Bills offer where the Packers would have said yes.

Don't try to defend Ballard here. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

One thing I don't get is teams that do what the Commanders did, trading good players like Sweat and Young for low draft picks. To me it just looks like a lose-lose situation, you lose a starter and you get a draft pick that you'll get a player that may be a rotational player. Its hard to become a better team if you don't keep your good players.

Perhaps they feel the two players are not worth the money they will want come contract time.    A 2nd and a 3rd isn’t too bad of a return.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If we would have made the same offer, then the Packers would have done it because every GM knows the Bills are a better team than the Colts. If Ballard made an offer, then he made a lower offer. I guarantee 100% if Ballard was interested in Douglas, the Packers would have told him the Bills offer, and all he would have had to do is match it because our 3rd will be higher than theirs. 

So either Ballard low-balled an offer, wasn't interested, or refused to match the Bills offer where the Packers would have said yes.

Don't try to defend Ballard here. 

We’re you in the Packers Office, or do you just like to make up stories, since you 100% guarantee things?

1 minute ago, jimmy g said:

We’re you in the Packers Office, or do you just like to make up stories, since you 100% guarantee things?

Why would the Packers hide the Bills offer from the Colts? Obviously they want to get the best offer possible and will tell the Colts what they have to match or beat. This is not a debate. What I'm saying is fullproof.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, r a y s k i said:

Even with Manning, one of the winningest franchises of the 21st century, the Colts have struggled to sign meaningful FAs, again its a historical issue.

They didn’t struggle too they chose not too.  Polian made it know he didn’t believe in free agency in most cases.  He preferred to use his money to keep their own.  Ballard is the same mold.  Grigson was more willing to dip into free agency and often gave out big contracts that didn’t work out but he had no problem signing players in free agency.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Why would the Packers hide the Bills offer from the Colts? Obviously they want to get the best offer possible and will tell the Colts what they have to match or beat. This is not a debate. What I'm saying is fullproof.

Unless you were in the office or on the call (if there even was one) all you have is your opinion of what you think should have/ might have happened.  That’s fine- this is an opinion board.  But you expressed the whole post as FACT, and it can’t be known, let alone presented as 100% accurate.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

No it’s not.  You have no way of knowing that.  All you are doing is speculating because you didn’t get what you want and presenting it as fact which is why people are objecting to it.

• Like 1

Just now, jimmy g said:

Unless you were in the office or on the call (if there even was one) all you have is your opinion of what you think should have/ might have happened.  That’s fine- this is an opinion board.  But you expressed the whole post as FACT, and it can’t be known, let alone presented as 100% accurate.

The fact is Ballard either low-balled an offer, wasn't interested in Rasul Douglas, or didn't match the Bills offer (where we had a higher 3rd rounder). I'm not saying I know which one. I'm saying it was one of the three though. That's a fact. If it wasn't, we'd have Rasul Douglas on the Colts right now. It is a fact he was for trade as the Bills traded for him. It is a fact that the Bills traded a 3rd round pick for Rasul and a 5th round pick. It is a fact that the Colts are a worse team than the Bills and our third round pick is higher than theirs. Therefore, it's a fact that if we made the same offer, the Packers would have accepted our offer instead because they would have moved up around 10-12 extra spots in the third round for doing absolutely nothing besides choosing us over the Bills.

The bottom line is that this was a value trade we could have done. It was against the grain as we weren't competing. However, Douglas had 1 1/2 years left on his contract, and we didn't have to re-sign him immediately. Ballard missed the mark here and didn't fill a weakness at a good price. 

• Like 2