Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sources Colts have called about Jerry Jeudy

Restinpeacesweetchloe

Just wondering if anyone is thinking Jeudy might be Pittman's replacement?

If the Colts aren't comfortable paying Pittman $20m+, Jeudy's $12m could be the insurance they are looking for and gives them an additional year to figure it out.

Just throwing things out there.

Jeudy

Pierce

Downs

As the 1-3?

Pittman has left a lot to be desired out there this season. Currently graded out at 67.7(50/113).

50th best WR in the league.

Jeudy has a grade of 65.4(56/113), just slightly under Pittman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

It better not be for much considering this team isn’t going nowhere this season or next year until Richardson can stay healthy. 

If I had to guess, I’d say we’d give up no more than a 4 and much likely less.   And he doesn’t have to be great, he just has to be good, better than most than we already have.   Odds are the Colts and Steichen both have good evals on Jeudy from his time in college.   So he’d improve our WR group hopefully without giving up too much to get him.   

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I think there's the general idea of Jerry Jeudy, and then there's the real Jerry Jeudy. And those are different things. He definitely has some ability, especially as a route runner, but his production and impact are spotty, at best. And his attitude/effort aren't highly spoken of.

More big picture, I am working through some cognitive dissonance about the WR position lately. I love the technically sound WR who runs great routes, basically the Reggie Wayne model. At his very best, I think that's what Jeudy would be. I would generally rather have Terry McLaurin than DK Metcalf, for example.

But in the current NFL, which is mostly zone defense, the impact of a great route runner has probably been diminished. The scheme and QB are doing the work to beat the defense. Maybe a technician is better at beating press coverage, but with motion and shifts, the scheme can beat press.

It seems like the necessary traits at WR these days are speed, hands, and physicality to finish through contact. If a guy can produce YAC, that's a bonus, and maybe that's an overlapping trait for a good route runner, but not necessarily. 

So I'm thinking the things that the best version of Jeudy is supposed to have going for him aren't even a big value add in a modern offense. This theory of mine is still a work in progress, I'm not married to it, but I've been going over it for a while now. 

I'm not protesting the Colts potentially making this trade, but like I said earlier, I don't think he's the right guy for our team. And I think a guy like Pierce has greater potential in the current environment, but that requires that we use him more, and that he's more consistent when he gets opportunities.

If it's a late Day 3 pick, I'm fine. But he's guaranteed $13m next year, so that's still kind of a tough sell.

This is an A+ reply. Pretty sure that I agree completely... Thanks for the perspective.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, w87r said:

If the Colts aren't comfortable paying Pittman $20m+, Jeudy's $12m could be the insurance they are looking for and gives them an additional year to figure it out.

Jeudy

Pierce

Downs

As the 1-3?

Pittman has left a lot to be desired out there this season. Currently graded out at 67.7(50/113).

Don't deny the numbers, but I think it points back to sort of what Sups was eluding to: are those numbers due to the QB play more than - or just as much as - the receiver?  Staff has to determine that (I'm sure they have) before they can figure out if any receiver will really help us or not?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Superman said:

I view "separation" as a buzz word these days. I've been watching some coaches' film, and looking at some metrics. We have receivers getting open. In fact, someone posted an analysis on Reddit today, based on PFF charting, showing that the Colts have two receivers open on 33.7% of pass plays, which is tied for the 4th highest rate in the NFL. It also shows we have zero receivers open on 16.7% of pass plays, which is typical (17 teams between 15-20% on this metric), and better than the Bills, Chiefs, Niners, Rams... 

People say Pierce 'gets no separation,' but he's been open. We don't have good QB play, and QB play is the #1 thing that determines whether a passing attack works or not. This is the same reason Davante Adams is complaining about his role with the Raiders.

"Separation" is just something people like to say when they don't understand why the passing game is stuck, and don't like the receivers. 

Edit: I'm not countering anything you have said, just adding some of my thoughts. Just for clarification.

Totally agree. I also feel like Mahomes, like other QBs, is second guessing more this year. If Kelce breaks off what the defender expects or what the coverage dictates (which means he is not necessarily where he is supposed to be), Mahomes is still on the same page. But if Skyy Moore or MVS do the same, he doesn't trust to pull the trigger. 

My numbers only show the capability of the WR, but it is not an indictment for anything. A WR gets open within the first 2 seconds and a lot of times, even with Luck, they see if they can get a better option and sometimes it backfires, the second guessing because that window of opportunity is gone.

You watch the All 22 film and wonder "hey, he was right there open in your line of sight , why couldn't you pull the trigger right away?" The QB sometimes playing a little hero or having a lack of trust (in the WR because the WR won't fight for it, has not come back for the ball in the past etc.) are the only 2 explanations to me for such situations.

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Totally agree. I also feel like Mahomes, like other QBs, is second guessing more this year. If Kelce breaks off what the defender expects or what the coverage dictates (which means he is not necessarily where he is supposed to be), Mahomes is still on the same page. But if Skyy Moore or MVS do the same, he doesn't trust to pull the trigger. 

My numbers only show the capability of the WR, but it is not an indictment for anything. A WR gets open within the first 2 seconds and a lot of times, even with Luck, they see if they can get a better option and sometimes it backfires, the second guessing because that window of opportunity is gone.

You watch the All 22 film and wonder "hey, he was right there open in your line of sight , why couldn't you pull the trigger right away?" The QB sometimes playing a little hero or having a lack of trust (in the WR because the WR won't fight for it, has not come back for the ball in the past etc.) are the only 2 explanations to me for such situations.

Mahomes and Kelce are playing a totally different game from the rest of the receivers. They're really good, and it works most of the time, but I wonder if it undermines the rest of their passing attack.

And yeah, sometimes the QB sees ghosts, or is late, or gets pressured and misses his window to throw, etc. But I've always felt like if the QB doesn't trust a WR enough to throw to him when he's open, that WR shouldn't be on the field. A lot of the timing and chemistry has to be gained through experience, so if you're not giving the WR a chance to correct a prior mistake, you'll never trust him, and you might as well get rid of him. This view is heavily influenced by watching Peyton Manning all those years.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Don't deny the numbers, but I think it points back to sort of what Sups was eluding to: are those numbers due to the QB play more than - or just as much as - the receiver?  Staff has to determine that (I'm sure they have) before they can figure out if any receiver will really help us or not?

I can listen to the QB excuse for a teams #2 or #3 option, but Pittman has been force fed targets the last couple years, he has had ample opportunity to produce and make plays. Been pretty underwhelming.

9ypc and barely sees the end zone. Low yac/catch averages.

Receptions are great, but it's what you do with them that really matters.  Gets in the vicinity of 1000yds, but what is that? Probably going to be a guy go for 2000 this year. 1200-1500 is now needed, 

he was 10th in receptions, but 25th in yards and 107th in ypc, last year. 99th in yards per target.

He creeped up to 10ypc this week for the year

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

I can listen to the QB excuse for a teams #2 or #3 option, but Pittman has been force fed targets the last couple years, he has had ample opportunity to produce and make plays. Been pretty underwhelming.

Receptions are great, but it's what you do with them that really matters.  Gets in the vicinity of 1000yds, but what is that? Probably going to be a guy go for 2000 this year. 1200-1500 is now needed, 

he was 10th in receptions, but 25th in yards and 107th in ypc, last year. 99th in yards per target.

In a nutshell, he doesn't take over games or impose his will on anyone.  The million dollar question is,  does Ballard pay him WR1 money in 2024. IMO the Free Agent WR market is weak, with a soon to be 31 YO,  M. Evans the best of the bunch. If, someone offers him more than the Colts, let him walk and thank him for his service.

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

Pretty sure it will be a # 1 in 2024 and day two pick in 2025 in exchange for Jeudy. Seems fair

Am I reading this right?   You’re famous for your humor so I’m not sure if I’m missing your joke?   

But Jeudy had been a disappointment so it’s hard to see anyone pay the price you suggest.   Did something just go over my head?    :giveup:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, w87r said:

Jeudy

Pierce

Downs

As the 1-3?

No

41 minutes ago, w87r said:

Jeudy

Pierce

Downs

As the 1-3?

Prefer to have Pittman  and jeudy rather than just 1 or the other

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

Let me counter this, for the sake of the discussion.

Pittman got to play with Rivers as a rookie, and part of his season was lost to a crazy leg injury. Since then, the best QB he's played with has been Carson Wentz. The QB thing has been a big problem.

Another counter: Pittman is our best WR, but he doesn't fit the profile for what most people would consider a #1 WR. Yet, people continue to evaluate him against the #1 WR standard. He's a guy who, with even average QBing, can give you 90 catches, 1,100 yards, and a handful of TDs. The way I see it, the problem isn't that Pittman isn't putting up #1 WR production, it's that he probably shouldn't be our best WR.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Yet, people continue to evaluate him against the #1 WR standard

This is the issue.

Most assume he will want #1 WR money, so there is no other way to try and evaluate him. If he wants that money have to compare to that standard.

If he is fine with WR #2 money(whatever that even is?), it's a closed case. Bring him back, probably back anyway.

I was just throwing it out there as plausible, that the Colts might view Jeudy as a insurance policy on Pittman negotiations.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

The QB thing has been a big problem.

It has been for the team as a whole, but for Pittman he has actually benefited from our QB issues, imo, because of the lack of QB play, they(QBs) have tried to rely on him even more(hence more forced targets and more opportunities). If that makes sense. Not sure I articulated that the best.

11 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Prefer to have Pittman  and jeudy rather than just 1 or the other

I agree, if money is right.

More weapons the better 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

Most assume he will want #1 WR money, so there is no other way to try and evaluate him. If he wants that money have to compare to that standard.

If he is fine with WR #2 money(whatever that even is?), it's a closed case. Bring him back, probably back anyway.

There's probably a significant disconnect with some people on what constitutes #1 money vs #2 money. Right now, #1 money is $25-30m/year (Tyreek Hill to AJ Brown). I see Pittman's market being in the $20-22m/year range, along with guys like Terry McLaurin and DJ Moore. The non-exclusive tag is going to be around $20m, so I think that's the starting point. And I think a lot of fans think that's too much for Pittman.

It has been for the team as a whole, but for Pittman he has actually benefited from our QB issues, imo, because of the lack of QB play, they(QBs) have tried to rely on him even more(hence more forced targets and more opportunities). If that makes sense. Not sure I articulated that the best.

I get what you're saying. But I think that probably cuts both ways. He's been the release valve for two and a half seasons, and that means getting targets in unfavorable situations, which probably limits his per target and per catch production. He gets the primary attention from the defense. He catches screen passes behind inferior blocking WRs, when he should probably be blocking for them. And then there's the poor timing and inaccuracy of the QBs he's been playing with.

I think Pittman is probably capable of consistent 2021 level production, with potential for more if he was in a more favorable situation.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

There's probably a significant disconnect with some people on what constitutes #1 money vs #2 money. Right now, #1 money is $25-30m/year (Tyreek Hill to AJ Brown). I see Pittman's market being in the $20-22m/year range, along with guys like Terry McLaurin and DJ Moore. The non-exclusive tag is going to be around $20m, so I think that's the starting point. And I think a lot of fans think that's too much for Pittman.

I get what you're saying. But I think that probably cuts both ways. He's been the release valve for two and a half seasons, and that means getting targets in unfavorable situations, which probably limits his per target and per catch production. He gets the primary attention from the defense. He catches screen passes behind inferior blocking WRs, when he should probably be blocking for them. And then there's the poor timing and inaccuracy of the QBs he's been playing with.

I think Pittman is probably capable of consistent 2021 level production, with potential for more if he was in a more favorable situation.

Yes, I agree it cuts both ways.

But he still had all those extra opportunities to make bigger plays. Never going to do it on all of them, but got to find ways to make more plays. 12 TDs in 3 1/2 years so far, just isn't cutting it.

sad part about the '21 numbers is they are just above average numbers nothing extraordinary there. Best thing about '21 was his YPC was over 12.

I don't feel comfortable at the $20-$22m range.

I feel more comfortable at $16-$18m range, really doesn't matter what I'm comfortable at though. Market will dictate it, and the view of Pittman's value will be placed. 

Just for fun, who you got?

Pittman $22m AAV over 4-5yrs

Jeudy $13m for 1yr to evaluate fit

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Which is why if they make the trade we should understand that Shane, Jim Bob and Reggie along with Ballard and Irsay are 100% on board in making the trade.  I trust they have all had their input and say in the evaluation.  I’m betting they have been looking at a number of available receivers.  If he is the one they bring on board then that says everything we need to know.  They feel he is going to be another weapon for this year and most importantly for AR next year.

One would hope the decision involves all you mentioned.

Personally, I think Ballard would at least consult Steichen (and perhaps the others?)

But in the end, Chris Ballard will make the decision nonetheless.

I figure, if Ballard really wants Jeudy, he could easily persuade Irsay, should that be necessary?

If they do indeed make a trade for Jeudy, then obviously, those in favor are expecting the change of teams will make Jeudy improve and live up to his round number one status.

My concern, based on what I have seen so far, is that he won't vastly improve. Would going from Denver to Indy make that much of a difference? 

And because the Colts traded for him, regardless whether he is effective or not, he will be entrenched as the starter for this year and next.

I guess it comes down to, if you have solid confidence in the GMs evaluation? or have doubts?

Should we end up with Jeudy, I will be rooting for him. But just saying, I do have a feeling, he may be... "Just A Guy"

10 minutes ago, w87r said:

Just for fun, who you got?

Pittman $22m AAV over 4-5yrs

Jeudy $13m for 1yr to evaluate fit

Neither? Both?? Just tag Pittman???

I have no strong opinion on this either way. I was hopeful that we'd get a better evaluation of Pittman this season. At this point, we can probably count on a similar season to 2022 from him. 

I guess I'd rather have Pittman on a long term deal, because I know he can be a reliable #2 who will do the dirty work, won't complain, he's tough and physical, doesn't really miss games, etc. If you want an exemplary team guy, MPJ is a good standard. I definitely don't feel that way about Jeudy. And my goal would still be to draft a potential #1.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Personally, I think Ballard would at least consult Steichen (and perhaps the others?)

I figure, if Ballard really wants Jeudy, he could easily persuade Irsay, should that be necessary?

If they do indeed make a trade for Jeudy, then obviously, those in favor are expecting the change of teams will make Jeudy improve and live up to his round number one status.

My concern, based on what I have seen so far, is that he won't vastly improve. Would going from Denver to Indy make that much of a difference? 

And because the Colts traded for him, regardless whether he is effective or not, he will be entrenched as the starter for this year and next.

I guess it comes down to, if you have solid confidence in the GMs evaluation? or have doubts?

Should we end up with Jeudy, I will be rooting for him. But just saying, I do have a feeling, he may be... "Just A Guy"

If I know anything about Irsay it’s that decisions are not made in a vacuum.  He always talks about the “brain trust” which is normally Irsay, the GM, and Head Coach.  I think Irsay let’s the GM and HC make the final decisions but Irsay is involved.

• Like 2

Just now, Superman said:

Neither? Both?? Just tag Pittman???

I have no strong opinion on this either way. I was hopeful that we'd get a better evaluation of Pittman this season. At this point, we can probably count on a similar season to 2022 from him. 

I guess I'd rather have Pittman on a long term deal, because I know he can be a reliable #2 who will do the dirty work, won't complain, he's tough and physical, doesn't really miss games, etc. If you want an exemplary team guy, MPJ is a good standard. I definitely don't feel that way about Jeudy. And my goal would still be to draft a potential #1.

I agree. I would not feel the combination of Pittman as #1 and Jeudy as #2 (or vice versa) would be our long term answer.

Need to draft a true number one. This group of college WRs looks very solid.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

If I know anything about Irsay it’s that decisions are not made in a vacuum.  He always talks about the “brain trust” which is normally Irsay, the GM, and Head Coach.  I think Irsay let’s the GM and HC make the final decisions but Irsay is involved.

Agree. But understand, Ballard has a whole team of scouts, that he would seek input from. Maybe more so than the coaching staff.

None of us really know the goings on. We can only speculate. but I have a strong opinion. CB is by far the one calling the shots here.

6 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Jeudy was the 15th overall selection in the 2020 draft.  That’s a WR 1 slot.  Let’s hope a change of scenery is all he needs to get going.  Hoping that’s the case for him and a move to the Colts is all he needs.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Am I reading this right?   You’re famous for your humor so I’m not sure if I’m missing your joke?   

But Jeudy had been a disappointment so it’s hard to see anyone pay the price you suggest.   Did something just go over my head?    :giveup:

Yes - you are correct. You missed the joke. 

Jeudy is a late round trade at best and I’d be shocked if they did that. In fact in the trade deadline thread, I said the chances the Colts trade for anyone is slim to none.  I don’t see that it makes sense on several fronts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, richard pallo said:

Jeudy was the 15th overall selection in the 2020 draft.  That’s a WR 1 slot.  Let’s hope a change of scenery is all he needs to get going.  Hoping that’s the case for him and a move to the Colts is all he needs.

I get it. But since the rumor of "Jeudy to Colts" emerged, I have looked into his play. Honestly, I am not impressed. 

Superman did a good breakdown of his doubts a few post up.

His biggest plus, coming out of college, was his great route running, but this has not shown very much on the field so far. He has been criticized for not giving 100% and taking plays off. Of course I cannot say that's the case, but it has been reported. He does not appear to get separation, which is probably the biggest problem with our current group of WRs. 

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, he has had bad QBs in Denver, which had to slow his progress. 

But here we have Gardner Minshew, who, imo, is not much of a step up, and AR5, who even next year, will have a great lack of NFL experience, and will be coming back from injury. 

This thread has a lot of opinions. Some want Jeudy. Others do not. I am in the latter group.

There is a tweet from a Colts source, "that things are heating up", so I would not be surprised if we do indeed land Jeudy.

I would think it stupid to give them a 4th or even a 5th.

I have no idea of our cap situation, but we just paid Taylor big money, and 13 mil for Jeudy seems way too high.

5 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I get it. But since the rumor of "Jeudy to Colts" emerged, I have looked into his play. Honestly, I am not impressed. 

Superman did a good breakdown of his doubts a few post up.

His biggest plus, coming out of college, was his great route running, but this has not shown very much on the field so far. He has been criticized for not giving 100% and taking plays off. Of course I cannot say that's the case, but it has been reported. He does not appear to get separation, which is probably the biggest problem with our current group of WRs. 

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, he has had bad QBs in Denver, which had to slow his progress. 

But here we have Gardner Minshew, who, imo, is not much of a step up, and AR5, who even next year, will have a great lack of NFL experience, and will be coming back from injury. 

This thread has a lot of opinions. Some want Jeudy. Others do not. I am in the latter group.

There is a tweet from a Colts source, "that things are heating up", so I would not be surprised if we do indeed land Jeudy.

I would think it stupid to give them a 4th or even a 5th.

I have no idea of our cap situation, but we just paid Taylor big money, and 13 mil for Jeudy seems way too high.

Ballard, Shane, and Irsay want him.  They see more than the doubters do.  That’s all that matters.

Just now, richard pallo said:

Ballard, Shane, and Irsay want him.  They see more than the doubters do.  That’s all that matters.

True. If they want him, then they will get him. What anyone else thinks makes no difference.

But in reality, all that matters, is the success of the team... When all is said and done, does Jeudy end up making us better? or not?

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

Agree. But understand, Ballard has a whole team of scouts, that he would seek input from. Maybe more so than the coaching staff.

None of us really know the goings on. We can only speculate. but I have a strong opinion. CB is by far the one calling the shots here.

He’s be a fool not too.  Still I can promise you there will be a meeting between the brain trust before any decision is made.  I would assume Ballard would tell the others any information needed from his scouts.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Let me counter this, for the sake of the discussion.

Pittman got to play with Rivers as a rookie, and part of his season was lost to a crazy leg injury. Since then, the best QB he's played with has been Carson Wentz. The QB thing has been a big problem.

Another counter: Pittman is our best WR, but he doesn't fit the profile for what most people would consider a #1 WR. Yet, people continue to evaluate him against the #1 WR standard. He's a guy who, with even average QBing, can give you 90 catches, 1,100 yards, and a handful of TDs. The way I see it, the problem isn't that Pittman isn't putting up #1 WR production, it's that he probably shouldn't be our best WR.

Yeah, but really good WRs generally make things happen even if the QB isn't elite. Look at a guy like DJ Moore who's been stuck in Carolina and now Chicago - he still gets it done. He's put up better numbers than Pittman with arguably worse QBs.

I will  agree though that Pittman probably shouldn't be our best WR.

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Yes - you are correct. You missed the joke. 

Jeudy is a late round trade at best and I’d be shocked if they did that. In fact in the trade deadline thread, I said the chances the Colts trade for anyone is slim to none.  I don’t see that it makes sense on several fronts. 

Sorry I missed the joke….

Out here, I’m currently on the IR and I’m suffering badly from sleep deprivation.   So I’m way WAY off my mental game.   Things that should be obvious — aren’t.  

Looking forward to better days….   Hopefully soon.      :peek:

• Like 2