Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chappell reports sprained AC joint for Richardson (MERGE)

GoColts8818

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think every back up wants to be a starter. However, I really doubt there is much of a market after the season for him as a starter. He has had trh opportunity ro be a starter snd he just doesnt have the skil set to be a sterter in thr long haul. He would be smart to maximize his value now when he is showing he is a great back up.

most teams looking for a starting qb aren’t very good, so I don’t think that is a good situation for him. The colts team is playing well (better than most thought) that is a perfect situation for him, he doesn’t have to carry the team. 

Just now, jvan1973 said:

I don't think they play on concrete covered with a thin layer of rubber pellets 

Didn’t realize all the injuries have been at Lucas Oil. The one at the Jags game you can’t connect to the turf though. It was his ankle and he wasn’t even actually injured.

4 minutes ago, SR711 said:

At the risk of belaboring a point, no more read option plays in this offense

The problem with that is hes not special as a pocket passer.  He was drafted where he was because of his athleticism and read option plays are a staple of Shanes offense.

If you just want a pocket passer than hes not the guy for you period

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Just wrap him in bubble wrap. Another injury next time and some of us here may start to sour on the pick. Maybe start using the  Bust word? Stroud looking good. Young looking horrible.

Yeah I'm impressed with Stroud.  Almost 300 pass yards a game and 0 picks so far.  He set the rookie record for most passes with zero picks.  

14 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Teams are starting to just rank instead of trying to stay average so guys like Minshew being a starter are slim

Lol that's a good point.  You can be average or slightly above average with Minshew, never making a Super Bowl, or you can keep your crappy starter and hope for a great QB in the draft.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

One of the twitter docs that follows football said players could actually get an injection to ease the pain and they’d be able to play through it. 

Carr has been playing since he hurt his but I agree with you and others the Colts should error on the side of caution here.  Of course this all depends on the severity of it too.

5 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

Yeah I'm impressed with Stroud.  Almost 300 pass yards a game and 0 picks so far.  He set the rookie record for most passes with zero picks.  

Stroud was the QB to get in the draft IMO.  I know it’s early and that might not be popular here.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Carr has been playing since he hurt his but I agree with you and others the Colts should error on the side of caution here.  Of course this all depends on the severity of it too.

Stroud was the QB to get in the draft IMO.  I know it’s early and that might not be popular here.

Really wish the Colts had traded up to get him. 

Not a fan of QBs that can't pass great. 

11 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Didn’t realize all the injuries have been at Lucas Oil. The one at the Jags game you can’t connect to the turf though. It was his ankle and he wasn’t even actually injured.

I think the concussions are the thing that worries me.   Moe's head slammed on the turf today like AR a few weeks ago.   The league needs to figure that out

12 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

The problem with that is hes not special as a pocket passer.  He was drafted where he was because of his athleticism and read option plays are a staple of Shanes offense.

If you just want a pocket passer than hes not the guy for you period

The best teams in the NFL don't have "just a pocket passer".  The teams winning playoff games have QBs that can make plays with their legs.  Mahomes, Hurts,  Burrow, Allen, etc.  They use their legs to extend passing plays or to run for a first down on a broken play.  Pure pocket passers, Like Manning and Brady, are basically a thing of the past.  Defenses have gotten faster and better, and you need a QB that can make plays with his legs.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tsarquise said:

Richardson’s passing is getting better, he was 9 of 12 today for 98 yards before getting hurt.  Richardson’s biggest problem is all the injuries.  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

I really think Stroud may be a top 10 QB next year.  That being said, acting like AR can't pass is nonsense.  He's doing well except for the injuries.  

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

Defenses have gotten faster and better, and you need a QB that can make plays with his legs.  

Yeah and thats why they wont rule out the read option or called runs.  Thats what makes AR a good player, if you take that away from him you might as well just start Minshew and trade Richardson.  

It would be like having Cam Newton but not calling running plays.  He may not have a long career but this is what makes him good.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Richardson’s passing is getting better, he was 9 of 12 today for 98 yards before getting hurt.  Richardson’s biggest problem is all the injuries.  

Yeah I am at the point where he should just take off and run on broken pass plays only - that would still provide a couple of key big runs. I wouldn't design any runs for him unless it is down by the Goaline from like the 1 or 2 yard line.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Looks like Drs. Think it’s a mind sprain. No reason to send him out when it could be worse. No need to keep throwing even if he could manage the pain. 

I’m positive it was something with the shoulder. The mind was a few weeks ago!

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yes MRIs normally confirm what doctors already know.  

I also didn’t say he would miss no time.  I said if Chap is correct here is another player with a similar injury you can compare it too in case people are wondering.

Derek Carr had the same injury and played the following week but he struggled in it. 

55 minutes ago, SR711 said:

1) Its unlikely that he needs surgery if its only an AC sprain.  Xrays would've indicated a more severe type of injury for which surgery would be necessary.  However, the MRI will tell if the ligaments are torn and/or if there is any other soft tissue injury involving the shoulder joint.  If its AC sprain requiring no surgery, my best guess is that he is out 2-4 weeks.  

2) Do not, without exception, put AR back on the field until he is absolutely pain free throwing a football with all throws.  We do not as a franchise or fanbase need a repeat of the Andrew Luck 2015 season which altered his career. 

3) At the risk of belaboring a point, no more read option plays in this offense.  If Richardson busts a run off a broken pass play, fine.  However, its pretty clear that using him as a RB is going to lead to problems long term.  If he can't be developed into a guy that can win throwing the football (which BTW I absolutely think he can), then we drafted the wrong guy anyways.   

Thr only problem with what u r suggesting is this. If the Colts fear that Richardson will getvhurt on every play then how do u think defences will react? He will lose half of his skill set. This is what he is at this point in his career.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, superrep1967 said:

Derek Carr had the same injury and played the following week but he struggled in it. 

Yeah he only missed 1 week. He still had 183 yards and 2 TD's, no INT's - not too bad. They blew the Pats out 34-0. Otherwise, his stats would have been better, when they got up big they just ran the ball a lot. 

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Thr only problem with what u r suggesting is this. If the Colts fear that Richardson will getvhurt on every play then how do u think defences will react? He will lose half of his skill set. This is what he is at this point in his career.

This kind of post is the reason you get so much push back here.   You post from point of authority.   Like you know what's going to happen.   That's why we laugh and make fun of you when you're wrong all the time

• Thanks 5

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They play Carolina a month from now. If it is a mild sprain of the AC Joint, he should miss 2 or 3 games at most. Carr only missed 1 week and isn't near as big or strong as AR is and he is much older.

Depends on grade. I don’t think Carr missed any games though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tsarquise said:

It takes two to Tango. We’d have to be willing to be fleeced like the Panthers were. We weren’t in a position to offer D J Moore (no Pittman is not the same) like the Panthers had to give the Bears on top of a future 1st pick. Plus, the Texans weren’t letting go of pick No.2. 

I don’t think the Bears would have valued JT that high either with Herbert and a good RB at QB :) 

We were 3-3-1 at one point. Thank Jeff Saturday and Gus Bradley/Matt Ryan 4th qtr combo to put us even in position to draft AR. Besides most of this forum was saying there isn’t a can’t miss prospect like Caleb Williams in this draft, but there was no guarantee we’d be sucky again to draft this high.

It’s like Panthers drafting first to get Cam Newton while we got Luck a year later. You’ve to adapt and coach what you drafted to reduce injury possibilities with a QB we want to use his legs. Can’t go back in time.

• Like 1